Mari Daemul heads the field this coming Sunday at Seoul Racecourse as he attempts to successfully defend the Group 3 KRA Cup Classic that he won here a year ago.
He will face eleven rivals. Let’s take a look at them (Name [Pedigree] Age Sex (Runs/1st/2nd/3rd) – Jockey)
KRA Cup Classic (KOR G3) – Seoul Racecourse – 2000M – October 19, 2014 – 16:35
1. Mani Income (USA) [Irish Road – Lemon Zest (Lemon Drop Kid)] 5 G (27/3/4/3) – Yoo Seung Wan
Decent horse who hasn’t finished higher than 4th this year. Probably won’t be getting a whole lot of income out of this race.
2. Samjeong Jewang (USA) [Patriot Act – Ms.Sadira (Dixieland Heat)] 3 G (8/5/0/2) – Ikuyasu Kurakane
Comes into the race off the back of three consecutive wins, including at this class and distance last time out. He beat Indian Blue in that race and while he doesn’t have the same weight advantage here, he ahs every chance of doing it again.
3. My Day (KOR) [Touch Gold – Smart Advice (Smart Strike)] 4 F (23/10/4/2) – Jang Chuyoul
The only Korean bred in the race, this filly has been in good recent form although she was found wanting in her only previous attempt against imported opposition. Good speed and likely to come from just off the pace, she is though, hard to recommend for the win
4. Unbeatable (USA) [Eddington – Baxter Hall (Rahy)] 4 C (25/4/5/6) – Ham Wan Sik
Not the most appropriate name for this one but he does usually finish in the money at least. Has a chance of doing so again but will probably find one or two too quick among this field.
5. Sun Speed (USA) [Pleasant Tap – Eva’s Way (Dixie Union)] 5 H (25/3/5/2) – Kim Hye Sun
Takes his chance after finishing 2nd of 7 in a slowly run race over 1900M last time out. Should get a good position but others will be quicker in the final furlong.
6. Him Jjang (USA) [Pure Prize – Aroarable (Roar)] 4 C (13/4/2/1) – Park Byeong Yun
This one was a really promising 3-year-old but has struggled since making it up to class 1 and is unplaced in three starts since returning from a layoff in June. Will most likely be unplaced again.
7. Rush Forth (USA) [Rush Bay – Fourth Quest (Norquestor)] 4 G (14/4/2/3) – Kim Ok Sung
Another who has the ability to go close without being likely to actually win. Fourth behind Samjeong Jewang and Indian Blue last time out, that seems a reasonable ambition again here.
8. Hwanggeumbiyul (USA) [Indian Ocean – Dixieland Gulch (Gulch)] 5 G (18/6/4/2) – Oh Kyoung Hoan
Three of his six wins have come at class 1 and he comes in after two consecutive triumphs. Likely to be among the frontrunners and with good closing speed, he is not without a chance.
9. Daehan Janggun (USA) [Zanjero – Casual Friday (Fit To Fight)] 3 C (9/3/3/2) – Shin Hyoung Chul
A first try at class 1 for this 3-year-old. He’s never been out of the money in his nine starts to date and has good late speed. May meet his match in his couple of these but shouldn’t be too far away.
10. Indian Blue (USA) [Henny Hughes – Gambler’s Passion (Prospector’s Gamble)] 4 F (20/5/4/5) – Moon Se Young
It really is a travesty that Indian Blue has only won 5 of her 20 races. One of the quickest closers in Korea – and the quickest in this race – she does have a habit of finding just a little bit too much to do. Second place should be a minimum requirement.
11. Mari Daemul (USA) [Go For Gin – Token Beauty (Gold Token)] 5 H (27/9/4/3) – Seo Seung Un
The defending champion hasn’t been seen on the track since finishing a disappointing 9th in the Busan Metropolitan in July. His last run at Seoul ended in success though and while he may not be the favourite, he has a chance of successfully defending his title.
12. Cheonma (USA) [Langfuhr – Rash Decision (Mt.Livermore)] 3 G (11/3/4/1) – Park Eul Woon
Steps up in class and in distance after two consecutive wins at class 2. Likely to be among the front-runners and he is quick, but this field is much superior to anything he has faced before.
Friday October 16
Busan Racecourse: 11 races from 11:40 to 18:00
Jeju Racecourse: 9 races from 13:20 to 17:20
Saturday October 17
Seoul Racecourse: 12 races from 10:50 to 18:00
Jeju Racecourse: 9 races from 12:20 to 17:50
Sunday October 18
Seoul Racecourse: 11 races from 10:50 to 18:00
Busan Racecourse: 6 races from 12:45 to 17:00