Didyme’s Streak Broken / Menifee Waiting
Didyme’s run of three consecutive years as Leading Sire in Korea came to an end in 2010 as Creek Cat stormed to the top of the table by an astonishing margin of over $1M.
Derby winner Cheonnyeon Daero was Creek Cat’s chief earner while Seoul’s Champion filly & mare Love Cat also contributed big winnings for the sire who has been in Korea since 2000 and was fourth in the standings last year. Runner-up was Concept Win for who once again, Sangseung Ilro was the biggest contributor. It was a disappointing year for Didyme but it could have been very different for the now twenty-year old stallion but for the injury suffered by his colt Northern Ace in the Korean Derby and if last year’s chief earner Areumdaun Jilju had not spent most of the year on the sidelines.
Japanese sire Biwa Shinseiki entered the top ten for the first time due to the success of champion three-year old Dangdae Bulpae while Volponi saw his first Korean crop reach three-years old and was ninth on the money list.
Looming on the horizon for all the established sires in Korea though is Menifee. Having arrived in Korea in late 2006, his first crop of two-year olds hit the track this year having been highly sought-after at yearling sales in 2009. They did not disappoint. Menifee was both leading first-crop sire and Leading sire of two-year olds by some considerable distance with colts of his sweeping the placings in the Breeders’ Cup in late November.
Leading Sires In Korea 2010 (Name/Pedigree/Owner/Earnings in Korean Won/Chief Earner)
1. Creek Cat (USA) [Storm Cat – Vivano (Island Whirl)] – (Evergreen Farm) – 3,409,984,000 – Cheonnyeon Daero
2. Concept Win (USA) [Manila – Conveniently (In Reality)] – (Korea Mainland Horse Breeders’ Association) – 2,358,508,000 – Sangseung Ilro
3. Ft. Stockton (USA) [Cure The Blues – Tai The Devil (Tai)] (KRA) – 2,176,639,000 – Cheonun
4. Fiercely (USA) [Danzig – Whirl Series (Roberto)] – (KRA) – 2,107,087,000 – Lucky Dancer
5. War Zone (USA) [Danzig – Proflare (Mr. Prospector) – (KRA) – 2,081,931,000 – Tamnaseontaek
6. Didyme (USA) [Dixieland Band – Soundings (Mr. Prospector)] – (KRA) – 1,928,442,000 – Glory Yeonggwang
7. Exploit (USA) [Storm Cat – My Turbulent Miss (My Dad George)] – (KRA) – 1,795,566,000 – Mr. Rocky
8. Biwa Shinseiki (JPN) [Forty Niner – Oceana (Northern Dancer)] – (Kim Chong Sik) – 1,717,986,000 – Dangdae Bulpae
9. Volponi (USA) [Cryptoclearance – Prom Night (Sir Harry Lewis)] (Korean Mainland Horse Breeders’ Association) – 1,684,316,000 – Dongbang Rose
10. The Groom Is Red (USA) – (Runaway Groom – Sheila’s Gold (Fast Gold)] – 1,575,416,000 – Triple Seven
* Eight registered Stallions passed away in Korea in 2010. They were Gwacheon Ruler (KOR), Time Star (USA), Glorify (USA), Tertian (USA), Bohamian Butler (USA), Jamine Langfuhr (KOR), Yashima Japan (USA) and Five Aligned (USA).