Dong-A Ilbo Goes With Form But Shocks in GC and MJC Trophies at Busan
Second favourite Golden Rose came out on top in the battle of the fillies & mares in the Dong-A Ilbo Cup at Seoul Race Park this afternoon.
After yesterday’s glorious weather, it was a dismal afternoon in the capital. It rained. A lot. It wasn’t heavy but just light, incessant drizzle that over a period of hours slowly soaked everything and everybody. Not that that mattered to Moon Se Young and Golden Rose.
After Misopia set the early pace in the seven furlong race, Tamnahwanhui hit the front with a furlong to go. Golden Rose was travelling the quicker, however and cruised past the favourite to score victory by nearly two lengths. Meotjin Segye was third. Four-year old Golden Rose was recording her fifth win from seventeen starts and her first this year.
Japanese jockey Yoshi Aoki had a brief and low-key stint at Seoul Race Park last year. This week he returned to Korea to take up a license at Busan and in his first weekend of racing, he’s already achieved more than the vast majority of visiting riders do in their entire Korean careers.
Riding 60/1 outside Glory Yonggwang, Aoki grabbed a shock victory in the Gold Circle Trophy, a race sponsored by South Africa’s Gold Circle organisation. It was a real come-from-behind performance by Glory Yonggwang who was last coming into the home straight. In the end, he came past favourite Deep Desire in the last few strides to win by half a length.
The shocks weren’t finished there at Busan. Next up was the Macau Jockey Club Trophy, which saw 33/1 shot Global Champ take the honours. The four-year old held off fellow Australian-bred colt Dudeurim to take the prize by two and a half lengths.
Dong-A Ilbo Cup – Seoul Race Park – 1400M – September 19, 2010
1. Golden Rose (KOR) [Buster’s Daydream – Pop’s Apple (Digangi’s Thunder)] – Moon Se Young – 4.4, 2.0
2. Tamnahwanhui (KOR) [Al Naba – Bulbijihye (Pro For Sure)] – Park Tae Jong – 1.5
3. Meotjin Segye (KOR) [Concept Win – Ch’eon-Goju (Centro)] – Choi Bum Hyun – 1.9
Distances: 1.75 lengths/0.75 lengths
Also Ran: 4. Hwansanguimulgyeol 5. Chowon Dream 6. Misopia 7. Rose Cat 8. Taeyangui Yeogeol 9. Isanghwa 10. Magic Collar 11. Good Leader 12. Jayeongwang 13. Mighty Girl 14. Yeopungjudo
Gold Circle Trophy – Busan Race Park – 1400M – September 19, 2010
1. Glory Yeonggwang (KOR) [Didyme – Lady Sandido (Sandrigo)] – Yoshiyuki Aoki – 61.5, 7.4
2. Deep Desire (KOR) [Jump Start – Bayou Rules (Cure The Blues)] – You Hyun Myung – 1.4
3. Dongbangmiin (KOR) [Yehudi – Pyeonghwaroun (Kingsview)] – Lee Hee Cheon – 5.4
Distances: 0.75 lengths/4 lengths
Also Ran: 4. Uprising 5. Sagyejeol Wangja 6. Udeumji 7. Seongsanui Beongae 8. Donghae Gangho 9. Hidden Messenger 10. Thunder Clap 11. Namdo Myeongjang 12. Myeongbulheojeon
Macao Jockey Club Trophy – Busan Race Park – 1400M – September 19, 2010
1. Global Champ (AUS) [Charge Forward – Amarocco (Brocco)] – Mun Jung Won – 32.4, 7.1
2. Dudeurum (AUS) [Delago Brom – Ravissante (Rechabite)] – You Hyun Myung – 2.8
3. Field Tripping (USA) [Trippi – Lilly’softhefield (Struggler)] – Jo Sung Gon – 6.0
Distances: 2.5 lengths/1.25 lengths
Also Ran: 4. Ecton Legacy 5. I Am Cruising 6. Mystery Boy 7. Wanggol 8. Cha Cha 9. Lovely Woman 10. Seungni Cheonsa 11. Best Record 12. Payton Power DQ. Gaeseon Gangho