The cherry blossoms are out, temperatures are in the low twenties and three days of unbroken sunshine are forecast – with Spring very much underway, there’s no better place to be this weekend than the racecourse. It’s Ttukseom Cup weekend at Seoul Race Park with the big race off at 5pm on Sunday (see full preview) and there’s plenty of other action too.
As usual, Busan kicks things off on Friday with the action moving to Seoul and Jeju on Saturday before all three tracks host cards on Sunday.
Busan Race Park
Friday April 10: 10 races, first post 13:00
Sunday April 12: 6 races, first post 12:40
Seoul Race Park
Saturday April 11: 12 races, first post 11:20
Sunday April 12: 11 races, first post 11:20
Jeju Race Park has nine races on Saturday and ten on Sunday with first post time 12:10 on both days. The current weather forecast is looking fantastic across the whole peninsula all weekend. Come Racing!
* Indian jockey Rahul Shinde will make his Korean debut at Busan on Sunday. We’ll have a full profile of the latest addition to the overseas jockey ranks next week.
Seoul Race Park’s biggest race of the year so far comes under orders on Sunday afternoon as the Park Dae Heung trained pair of Namchonuijijon and Myeongmun Gamun head the field for the Group Three Ttukseom Cup.
Horse of the Year in 2008, the eight year old Myeongmun Gamun will be dropping down to seven furlongs for the first time since the corresponding race in 2006 when he finished fifth – his worst ever finish in a career spanning thirty one races so far in which he has never been out of the money. Nevertheless, Myeongmun Gamun’s only outing this year ended in a surprise defeat and he hasn’t raced since January.
Winner of this race in 2008, Namchonuijijon didn’t kick on after last year’s race but opened his 2009 account with a smart win last month. In that race he finished ahead of two of his rivals here, Free Woody and Mighty Runner, the latter suffering his first defeat in five races.
Also going are the “three sevens”; Triple Seven, Lucky Seven and the impressive but untried at this level so far Seven Card, as well as mares Seonju Jangsu and Geumsuni. The race is off at 17:00. See below for a full list of runners, records and riders (Races/1st/2nd/3rd):
Ttukseom Cup (G.III) – Seoul Race Park – 1400M – Apr 12, 2009
1. Highway Star – (71/5/5/9) – Jung Pyeong Soo
2. Myeongmun Gamun – (31/17/3/6) – Cho Kyoung Ho
3. Seonju Jangsu – (40/6/11/3) – Yang Hee Jin
4. Seven Card – (9/5/3/0) – Yoo Seung Wan
5. Mighty Runner – (19/6/3/4) – Kim Hyo Seob
6. Saebyeok Dongja – (34/10/5/2) – Shin Hyoung Cheol
7. Lucky Seven – (21/5/5/1) – Lee Sang Hyuk
8. Free Woody – (17/5/5/3) – Moon Jung Kyun
9. Triple Seven – (15/4/2/4) – Choi Beom Hyun
10. Taebaek Janggun – (25/7/3/0) – Park Tae Jong
11. Namchonuijijon – (20/6/7/3) – Jung Ki Young
12. Geumsuni – (21/6/4/2) – Han Sung Yeol