Sunday’s racing is at both Seoul (11 races from 10:35 to 18:00) and Busan (6 races from 11:50 to 16:30). No Stakes races but plenty to get stuck into. The forecast is for rain throughout the weekend so if you’re coming bring an umbrella and if you’re playing be sure to check out the wet track form:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Special Weight A / KRW 75 Million
The capital’s first juvenile race of the year so all eleven are racing for the first time. (3) HANGANG CROWN was the standout in trials, leading her heat all the way around and stopping the clock in the quickest time. She draws nicely and she will be favourite. (7) GEOLJAK ONE and (2) YONGAM SESANG also won their respective heats and in identical times. Geoljak One perhaps had the slightly easier time of it and of the two is marginally preferred. (11) ECLIPSE BERRY didn’t win her trial, but she ran well, crossing the line 2nd behind an experienced older horse and without being pushed too much. Moon Se-young’s appointment will lead plenty to come down on her side. Going on times, (8) JANGGUN GARAM is another who has a chance first-up although as we saw in Busan’s equivalent race on Friday, a lot can happen between trial and debut.
|Selections||(3) Hangang Crown (7) Geoljak One (2) Yongam Sesang (11) Eclipse Berry|
|Next Best||8, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 8, 11|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Special Weight A / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens here. (9) DAONDI has finished 5th in both starts so far but did show some improvement in the most recent of them. He has run through the line strongly enough and with a little more improvement may have winning claims here. (4) BIG BLED has shown progress across her three starts culminating with her 3rd place at this distance at her latest on April 9th. Her times haven’t been impressive but, in this company, she could well get to the front, and she won’t need to be much quicker to go very close here. (6) SIDAEUI MYEONGJAK made little impression from a wide draw last time out but if we go on his 4th place at this distance two starts back, he warrants consideration. In a race this weak the debut-makers must be examined. (7) SEONGEUN RISING won her trial and while the time wasn’t fast, that’s enough to give her a chance. (1) STEALTH PARK another who may improve.
|Selections||(9) Daondi (4) Big Bled (6) Sidaeui Myeongjak (7) Seongeun Rising|
|Next Best||1, 10|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 10, 11|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Special Weight A / KRW 25 Million
Quite a good-looking maiden with plenty looking as though they have a win in them. (4) CLAIR QUEEN is one of them. She comes in off her best finish to date when 2nd over this distance on April 22nd when ridden more forward than she had been previously. From a good draw similar tactics can be expected today, and she can go one better. (5) SSEULMO has seemingly figured things out in his latest two, with a 3rd and a 2nd. Both times he led until the closing stages, and he seems sure to be on pace and in this a long way again. (3) RAON JUMP has the fastest time among these for the distance, achieved when 5th last time out on April 29th when the track was producing some quick races. She has tended to leave herself too much to do but should be finishing off well and can run into a place. (8) MAGUMA is another who will be doing his best work late on and he already has a 2nd place to his name. Solitary debut-maker (7) COSMO RUN improved in his second trial when he ran 2nd behind a class 1 horse. If he brings that form to the races, he can go well first-up.
|Selections||(4) Clair Queen (5) Sseulmo (3) Raon Jump (8) Maguma|
|Next Best||7, 10|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6, 7|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Special Weight A / KRW 25 Million
Having bolted up in a February trial, (9) KALJABI was sent off as favourite on debut on March 5th. He showed towards the front but ultimately finished 4th. He should have come on for that experience and after a further twelve-weeks off, he can be given another chance. The main danger is in the adjoining gate. (10) ROSE BLADE was also well backed on debut on April 30th following a promising trial, and he delivered with a good 3rd place over this distance, settling just forward of midfield and running on. He should have derived benefit from the run and can go closer here. (5) WAITING FOR YOU did little in her first two outings but was an improved 3rd in her latest on April 21st when racing handy throughout. That will probably be enough to make her third-favourite here. (1) SUCCESS FRONT and (4) HAENGBOK CHUKJE the most likely among the rest to improve.
|Selections||(9) Kaljabi (10) Rose Blade (5) Waiting For You (1) Success Front|
|Next Best||4, 3|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(2) MAUIWAY got his win when practically making all over 1200M in January. Since then, he has raced twice at this level running 5th and most recently 3rd, both times having settled back in the pack. He has a nice draw here and can sit behind the early speed and run on. (6) FIJI BLADE is still a maiden but comes up in class having finished as runner-up in both her starts so far, both at 1200M. She comes down in the weights and should be on pace and while she may find one too quick again, she can certainly measure up in this company. (4) SAENAE KHAN got his maiden win at this distance at class 6 level in February. He has two 4th places in two goes at this level and should be in at least the placing mix again. (7) CLUB D and (3) SUPREME STAR are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(2) Mauiway (6) Fiji Blade (4) Saenae Khan (7) Club D|
|Next Best||3, 10|
|Fast Start||6, 8, 9, 10|
Busan Race 2: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(3) FANTASTIC CHAMP debuted last May but wasn’t seen again until March when he got his maiden win at this distance. He went up to 1300M for his first try at class 5 on April 28th and while he showed prominently, he ultimately finished 5th. Third-up this preparation he may well be at peak fitness and back at 1200M he can win this. (9) GOLDENTHUNDERBOLT is yet to win in twelve attempts but ran well for his fourth runner-up finish at class and distance on April 14th when close to the pace throughout. At the start before he came from off the pace to dead-heat for 3rd so he is versatile, and he can be a danger here. (4) TAEYANG EUTTEUM has the fastest time of any of these at the distance, record when 3rd – a long way behind a good winner – on May 5th. She remains lightly weighted and merits at least a place chance. (1) GOLD ROSE and the returning (6) WORLD FIVE, are other potentials.
|Selections||(3) Fantastic Champ (9) Goldenthunderbolt (4) Taeyang Eutteum (1) Gold Rose|
|Next Best||6, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 5, 6|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(3) NEULGAEUL is a warm favourite here. Just as he did when getting his maiden win in January, he overcame a wide draw and a slow start on his latest appearance on April 22nd, running on for a strong 2nd place and a repeat of that performance could prove too much for this set of rivals. (10) CHADOL RUN comes in following a win at this class in an all-filly affair over 1300M on April 29th. The track was so fast that day that the quick time shouldn’t have too much read into it, but it continued her pattern of returning to form. She only comes up 1.5kg in the weights and back to 1400M may suit. (8) CAMP SAVER won at class and distance on April 30th, racing on pace throughout. He comes up 2kg in the weights but should be on pace again and in this a long way. (11) BLUE INDY and (2) STAR PRINCESS among others to keep safe.
|Selections||(3) Neulgaeul (10) Chadol Run (8) Camp Saver (11) Blue Indy|
|Next Best||2, 5|
|Fast Start||5, 8, 9, 11|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(10) OK DREAM made all on debut to win a filly-only maiden by six-lengths. She comes up in class here and slight in trip but neither of those things, nor the wide draw, should be an issue and she can make it two from two. (1) SEONGSIL STAR took a little longer to get his first win on the board, scoring over 1200M on April 23rd. It had been coming though and while he is up in class too, he should be able to hold his own at this level and can be a danger. (7) DOCTOR PANGPANG remains a maiden but proved competitive at this class when 4th over 1200M on April 28th, running on from off the pace. He has a 2nd place to his name at this distance and he should be close at the business end again. (9) STATICE and another up in class last start winner, (11) ARION QUEEN, are others to consider.
|Selections||(10) OK Dream (1) Seongsil Star (7) Doctor Pangpang (9) Statice|
|Next Best||11, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 10, 11|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1700M) Special Weight B / KRW 40 Million
(8) PERFECT GUN MAN beat three of these on his way to a class and distance win on April 1st when he settled midfield and proved too strong. He only comes up 1kg in the weights, Moon Se-young gets on, and he can win again. (1) MISS WIN STAR was similarly a class and distance winner on her latest appearance, which was on April 23rd when she was handy throughout, running on well. She comes up 2kg but draws very nicely to drop in behind the leaders and she too has claims to go back-to-back. (2) FEDERAL KING and (9) GOMANARU came home 2nd and 3rd in that April 1st race with half a length between them and Perfect Gun Man a further three-quarters in front. Gomanaru was expected to go well but it was an uptick in form for Federal King and both should be in the mix again. (11) GHOST CHARM is the other logical placing pick.
|Selections||(8) Perfect Gun Man (1) Miss Win Star (2) Federal King (9) Gomanaru|
|Next Best||11, 6|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 7, 9|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(11) YEONGGWANGUI ACE ran 3rd in Busan’s Classic Trial on March 19th, beaten only by Betelgeuse and World Legend, who went on to run 1st and 5th respectively in the KRA Cup Mile, the first leg of the Triple Crown. Yeonggwangui Ace didn’t go to that race and instead stayed at 1400M to win at this class on April 30th, racing on the speed. He comes up a full 4kg as a result, but he is favoured to score again. (1) MY SONG comes up in class after an all the way victory over this distance on April 23rd. She had been working back into form and while she won’t get such an easy run to the front this time, she comes down in the weights and can be competitive. (7) GREAT BLUE returned to action after eighteen months out to win at this distance on April 21st. He too comes up in class but if anything should have come on for that run. Continuing the theme of last start winners coming up in class is (8) CUTE GUY. He went all the way on April 28th and should be on pace again here. (3) HWANGU DAEJANGGUN won his first two in fine style to be rapidly promoted to this class. While he found his first try at it tough, that was over 1400M and back in trip, he can be given another chance today.
|Selections||(11) Yeonggwangui Ace (1) My Song (7) Great Blue (8) Cute Guy|
|Next Best||8, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 8, 9, 11|
Seoul Race 7: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(7) RANUT has won three on the spin and four from seven in total. He has run fast times at this distance and while he is up in class today, he comes down a full 4kg in the weights. Ranut has a good start so he should be on pace and four in a row is a real possibility. (4) EAST IMPACT is potentially back in form following a strong 2nd place in a quick time ahead of a couple of today’s rivals at class and distance on April 29th. He comes up 2.5kg in the weights but he should be joining Ranut on the early speed and he has every chance. (8) BEST CHEONSANG enters off three consecutive 3rd place finishes at class and distance. He can settle behind the speed and should be targeting the front-runners late on. (1) HI HI is the wildcard. He had ten top-three finishes from twelve starts and finally returns here from a layoff of more than a year. He looked well enough in his April trial and a positive return is possible. (5) ULTRA KING among plenty of others with the potential for a place finish in what is a good race.
|Selections||(7) Ranut (4) East Impact (8) Best Cheonsang (1) Hi Hi|
|Next Best||5, 2|
|Fast Start||4, 7, 8, 10|
Busan Race 5: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
There are two standouts here and they have drawn the two widest gates. (10) RAON THE FLASH gets the verdict with a 3rd and a 2nd in two starts at this class since his good class 4 win over this trip in early March. He likes to get on pace so the wide draw can be a factor, but he should have enough to overcome it. The danger is (11) UNJU HERO, who returns from five months off. He has seven top-three finishes from eight starts and was a winner over this distance at class 5 level. He was very quick in a trial in late April and while he will need this and also has the wide gate challenge, he can put in a bold showing first-up. It would be a surprise if those two don’t fill out the quinella. (1) HANEUL JEONSA was 6th behind Raon The Flash last time out but was a close class and distance 2nd two starts back. He likes to settle back and run on, and he can be in the finish. (6) SEONGSIL SIHWA and (2) B.K. LOOKS may also dispute the minors.
|Selections||(10) Raon The Flash (11) Unju Hero (1) Haneul Jeonsa (6) Seongsil Sihwa|
|Next Best||2, 3|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 10, 11|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(10) BLACK MOTION is a winner of two from four and comes up in class following a smart score over 1300M on April 22nd when he settled midfield and came home strongly. He comes up slightly in trip, but that can suit, he is down in the weights and the wide draw shouldn’t pose a problem. (2) PURGE DAY enters seeking a hat-trick having come from off the pace to score over 1200M at class 5 level in February and then making all at this class and distance in April 2nd. He comes up a full 4kg in the weights but that’s balanced by another excellent draw, and he could well continue on his merry way. (1) TES GO DAEBO has hit the top-four in all eight of his starts so far. He has been 2nd and 3rd at this class and distance in both his latest two and he should be in the finish again. (4) WONPYEONG TOWN and the up in class (7) GEUMA ALLURE are among plenty of other contenders for the places.
|Selections||(10) Black Motion (2) Purge Day (1) Tes Go Daebo (4) Wonpyeong Town|
|Next Best||7, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 8, 9|
Busan Race 6: Class 1 (1800M) Special Weight B / KRW 110 Million
(7) CRAZY CONTI returned to winning ways beating four of these when scoring at class and distance on April 21st having settled just behind the early speed and then run on. He comes up 2kg in the weights but is set to be the one to beat again. (6) MACH TITAN ran 6th in that race having led. He did similar at the start prior when 3rd over 2000M. An apprentice claims 4kg here and could be enough to bring him into contention. (9) KING OF GLORY has returned to form in his latest two, finishing up as runner-up in both including to Crazy Conti in that April 21st race. He comes up 1kg, but an apprentice claim takes the edge off a little and he can continue his recent run of good form. (10) SO MUCH GO beat both Crazy Conti and Mach Titan when winning at 2000M on March 26th and then ran 3rd in that April 21st race. He remains under a lightweight and respect is warranted here. (3) BUSANHANG GALMAEGI, stepping up significantly in trip, is the wildcard.
|Selections||(7) Crazy Conti (6) Mach Titan (9) King Of Glory (10) So Much Go|
|Next Best||3, 8|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 9: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Competitive race involving fillies (and one mare) only. That mare is (6) JEDI FORCE, who was a class and distance winner two starts back before dropping back to 1200M and running 2nd in a similar filly only race. She looks well in here and can sit behind the early speed and run on. After drawing a black in her first thirteen starts, (9) THE FAVORITE comes in having won her latest two, both at 1400M and most recently at this class on April 29th when handy throughout. She comes up 4kg in the weights but should be on or close to the speed and a hat-trick isn’t impossible. (4) BENCAL PRINCESS won at class and distance on April 8th racing on pace throughout. She comes up 2.5kgin the weights but she draws well and can among the pacesetters again. (10) AKDONG ARGO beat three of these on her way to 2nd place at class and distance on March 25th and along with last start winner over 1200M (8) COMPLETE ANGEL, is another in the hunt.
|Selections||(6) Jedi Force (9) The Favorite (4) Bencal Princess (10) Akdong Argo|
|Next Best||8, 3|
|Fast Start||4, 8, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 10: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(6) BEST TORCH ran out an emphatic class and distance winner on April 23rd, leading every step of the way in a five-length score. She carries an additional 4.5kg today but in what is a weaker race, that shouldn’t be enough to stop her winning again and she will be a short-price favourite. (10) ECTON JILJU was a class and distance winner two starts back before running 4th on his latest on April 30th, once more over 1200M. He draws wide again but comes down slightly in weight and can be a potential danger. (3) SECRET PLAY is up in class having won over this trip on April 30th. He overcame gate ten that day so draws much better this time, and he can measure up in this company. (9) RAON THE TIGER and (1) ELITE RULES are among others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(6) Best Torch (10) Ecton Jilju (3) Secret Play (9) Raon The Tiger|
|Next Best||1, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 11: Class 2 (1800M) Special Weight B / KRW 90 Million
Several of these raced each other at this class over 1700M on April 8th. (6) JANGSAN MONSTER was 3rd that day, his second consecutive finish in that position. He was running on strong late on and the step back up to 1800M could see him home on top this time. (11) HWANGGEUM LUCKY was 2nd in that race, the best among those that return here. He also has the fastest time among these for 1800M, set when winning at class 3 level last October. He does have the challenge of the widest gate, but he could beat this lot again. (3) DORAON POPEYE is seemingly back in form with a 2nd and a 3rd from his latest two. He doesn’t win out of turn but knows how to pick up some prize money and from a good draw can be there or thereabouts again. (7) LUCKY WORLD is up in class after a win over 1700M a month ago and can be competitive. (2) ACTIMON another hope for the minors.
|Selections||(6) Jangsan Monster (11) Hwanggeum Lucky (3) Doraon Popeye (7) Lucky World|
|Next Best||2, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 10|