The Triple Tiara – or filly Triple Crown – begins at Busan on Sunday with the running of the Luna Stakes (Korean 1000 Guineas). See here for a full preview of the race. The Luna is the last race of 6 on a Busan card that runs from 11:00 to 15:45. There are also 11 races at Seoul from 10:35 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Special Weight A / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens in the opener. (1) HONOR ROSE will be favourite having run 3rd on debut in a good time over 1200M on March 18th when handy throughout. She draws well here, she has the same weight, and with some natural improvement from that run, she can win. All that applies too to (2) MINT PLAY. She ran on from midfield for 3rd on her debut on March 19th over 1200M and she will be a danger. There is one debut-maker and (8) NAOL ROONEY is not without a chance. The Cross Traffic filly improved across three trials and those multiple efforts should stand er in good stead. At her latest trial she overcame gate eleven to sit midfield then handy and ran on well and in limited company, she can put in a bold first-up effort. (5) JANGHEUNG CLASS and (7) SEONGSIL INDONG other placing chances.
|Selections||(1) Honor Rose (2) Mint Play (8) Naol Rooney (5) Jangheung Class|
|Next Best||7, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 8|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Special Weight A / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens and (4) LAND BANK is the one to beat. He has a 4th and a 3rd from two starts so far, both over 1200M and both times having led from the gate almost until the line. He draws well, he should lead again, and it can be third-time lucky. There is one first-time starter. (10) CAPTAIN CHARLIE posted a fast time in his trial, albeit aided by the presence of a class 1 horse (Domination) to pull them along. This is hardly the most intimidating of races to debut in and he can be considered first-up. (3) HAERANG THE ONE comes back slightly in trip following a 4th and two 5th placed finishes over 1300M both from behind and on pace. She should be competitive here too. (8) FABULOUS BEATER ran out of steam late on debut but should stirp fitter for the experience and can improve here. (2) JEONGMUN LEGEND another in the placing frame.
|Selections||(4) Land Bank (10) Captain Charlie (3) Haerang The One (8) Fabulous Beater|
|Next Best||2, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 8, 11|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Special Weight A / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens. (1) WONPYEONG KINGDOM ran 3rd on debut at relatively big odds having got away to good start and then led until the closing stages over 1300M. He draws well again the slight step back in trip can suit, and with some natural improvement, he can win. (10) FIJI BLADE also put in a creditable showing on debut, in her case over this distance on March 11th. It wasn’t a quick race, but she too should have come on for the run and while she draws a touch wide, she can be a danger. (5) WORLD FASHION has more experience and has improved across his three outings to date and was 4th behind Wonpyeong Kingdom in the latest of those on March 26th. He has got a bit far back in his races so far but has a strong finish and will be running on here. (2) GEOLJAK TOUR and trial winning debut-maker (7) SEOUL LION among others in the frame.
|Selections||(1) Wonpyeong Kingdom (10) Fiji Blade (5) World Fashion (2) Geoljak Tour|
|Next Best||7, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 7, 10|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Special Weight A / KRW 25 Million
Three-year-old maidens and (4) JEONGMUN SPECTER may take some beating. He comes in off a 2nd and a 3rd from is latest two, both at 1200M. He has the fastest time at the distance by a wide margin and from a good draw, he should be on pace here and will be hard to get past. (1) SEONGSIL STAR came back to this distance and ran a much-improved 2nd on February 17th and after nine weeks off, he can be competitive again from the inside gate. (8) GIJEOGUI GEUMBIT has three top-five finishes from four starts so far and while her times have not been quick, she can challenge for the lead here and can be in this a long way. (3) GEUMA HUGE HIT did nothing on debut last November but was put away after that and looked much better when sent back to trial in March. Franco climbs on and she should show improvement. (5) DREAM RUN another potentially on the right trajectory.
|Selections||(4) Jeongmun Specter (1) Seongsil Star (8) Gijeogui Geumbit (3) Geuma Huge Hit|
|Next Best||5, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 3: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Competitive race. We’ll take a chance on (11) ARGO TAP. He is yet to win in seven attempts but has been a model of consistency having only missed the top five on one occasion. He ran 4th over this distance on his first try at class 5 on February 19th and come sin fresh after nine weeks out. He likes to be on pace so the draw may not be ideal, but he has a chance at probably an each-way price. (4) UJUUI BOM enters with recent form reading well having registered a 2nd and a 3rd from her latest two. She gets in here under a very light weight and from a good draw, she has very solid claims. (8) NONSTOP THUNDER comes up in class having got her maiden win over 1300M on March 26th. She comes down in the weights and she has a strong enough finish on her to measure up in this company. (10) RIVER TAEYANG and the up in class (7) TOP TIER among others in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(11) Argo Tap (4) Ujuui Bom (8) Nonstop Thunder (10) River Taeyang|
|Next Best||7, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 9, 11|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(9) STAR FURY gets the nod here. He got his maiden win two starts back over this distance before finishing 4th over 1400M on his first try at this level on March 12th having led for part of the way around. He comes back to a distance at which he not only won but also recorded the fastest time of any of these over, and he is the one to beat. As well as having an excellent name, (11) LIGHT SABER looks to have a bit of talent. He didn’t offer much in his first two outings last year, but after four months off, he got his maiden win on his return, sitting midfield and running on strongly. The wide draw shouldn’t be an issue and he should be comfortable enough in this company. (3) MY SONG looks to be working towards a second win. She has a 4th and a 3rd from her latest two and is down and trip and well-drawn. (2) MORNING MUSE and (8) DONGBU STAR among others in at least the hunt for places.
|Selections||(9) Star Fury (11) Light Saber (3) My Song (2) Morning Muse|
|Next Best||8, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(5) HANGAWI SEONMUL ran 2nd on debut before comfortably scoring at start number two over 1200M on February 19th, when she led every step of the way. She comes up in class and marginally in distance too, but she is nicely weighted, draws well, and she can make it two in a row. (6) LUCKY POWER shapes as the danger. He has six top-three finishes from nine starts including 3rd place in both his latest two at 1400M and 1200M. Tactically versatile, he has run a fast time at this distance and should be going close, probably sitting handy and running on. (8) ARCH MEMORY comes in off a class and distance 2nd place on March 26th when racing midfield and finishing strongly. She’s yet to win in eleven attempts but has nine top-five finishes and is nicely in under a light weight. (7) GOLD KAISER and (10) K N TIZWON others in the frame.
|Selections||(5) Hangawi Seonmul (6) Lucky Power (8) Arch Memory (7) Gold Kaiser|
|Next Best||10, 1|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 9|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Competitive race. (12) NORTHERN BID is a perfect two for two so far having scored twice at 1200M with front-running efforts. That brings him rapidly up in class and he comes up in distance, as well as having the challenge of the widest gate. Nevertheless, he has handled everything thrown at him so far with aplomb and he can compete his hat-trick here. (9) KENDRICK returned to form with 2nd place at this class over 1200M on March 31st. That was his fifth runner-up finish in eleven outings and while he may find one too quick again today, he should be in the finish. (8) BEST DUO beat a couple of these when an on-pace 3rd in a double-quick time over this distance on his first try at this class on March 24th. He is nicely weighted again and can be dangerous. (2) BUDDY BUDDY and (7) ALIVE STAR among others who can at least enter the minor money calculations.
|Selections||(12) Northern Bid (9) Kendrick (8) Best Duo (2) Buddy Buddy|
|Next Best||7, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 5: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Another very competitive race with plenty of last starts needing to be forgiven. With an apprentice claim, (7) GIANT KILLING comes back down to slightly below the mark at which he won at two starts back at this class over 1200M in a fast time. In this company he may well be on the early speed and he’s worth taking a chance on at a probable each-way price. (6) GANA FASHION was behind Giant Killing in that January race and has since run fairly for 6th and 5th in two attempts at 1400M. She draws better today and can get closer. (1) HANGANG MAGIC is another who has been knocking on the door in recent starts. She’s run a very quick time at this distance and should benefit from the inside gate today. (5) SILVER STAR and (8) TOHO SKY among others who are perhaps better than their latest efforts suggest.
|Selections||(7) Giant Killing (6) Gana Fashion (1) Hangang Magic (5) Silver Star|
|Next Best||8, 10|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7, 10|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1800M) Special Weight B / KRW 60 Million
Another race with any number of potential winners. (10) PISTOL STAR was a winner at this distance at class 5 level two starts back in a time faster than any of the others here have managed and he did it from the same gate ten that he draws today. He was disappointing when favourite on his first try at this class on March 19th and he was beaten by a couple of these, but he looks worth another chance here. (7) WIND WINNER ran 2nd in that March 19th race having been on pace throughout. Ultra-consistent, he has only missed the top-four on one occasion and only comes up 1kg in the weights. He surely goes close. (5) SORI TAEPUNG is a class and distance winner as recently as March 3rd. He likes to race on pace and will almost certainly be the early leader here and he can be in this a long way. (6) ROCK AND ROLL comes up in class having made all to win at this distance on March 17th and along with (3) ALL CROWN is one of plenty more who on their day could win this.
|Selections||(10) Pistol Star (7) Wind Winner (5) Sori Taepung (6) Rock And Roll|
|Next Best||3, 8|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(4) JAY PHOENIX has finished 2nd and 4th over 1200M and 1400M in two starts since coming back from a four-month layoff and with over two months between them. He has never finished any worse than 4th and in this company, he should be on pace. He can be peaking fitness-wise, and he looks to be the one to beat. Plenty of others enter in good form. (2) STARLET beat three of these on her way to 2md place at class and distance on March 18th. She continues under a light weight, draws very nicely, and should be close again. (3) BEST TORCH carries even less weight and was a good 3rd on her first try at this level on March 4th. She has a fast start so can get to the lead and can be in this a long way. (7) SUPER FINISH and (11) GEUMBITMA, the latter needing forgiven for a being a beaten favourite when weakening over 1400M last time out, are among others to keep safe.
|Selections||(4) Jay Phoenix (2) Starlet (3) Best Torch (7) Super Finish|
|Next Best||11, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4, 8|
Busan Race 6: Class Open (1600M) Luna Stakes (Listed) Special Weight A / KRW 300 Million
The first leg of the Triple Tiara (filly Triple Crown). (10) RAON GIANT won the Listed Gwacheon Mayor’s Trophy last November and followed it up with two more victories up to class 3 level. She was beaten on her first try at class 2 when she led for much of the way around over 1800M before weakening late on. She is the highest rated in the field and she can return to winning ways here. (7) JEULGEOUNYEOJEONG has won at 1400M at class 3 level and of the four who have tackled a mile previously, she has the fastest time. She ran 3rd over 1800M on her latest start when contending with gate ten but back at a mile and with a slightly better draw, she has claims here. She also gets a 3kg weight swing from that 1800M race on (6) DOCTOR OSCAR, who finished 3rd. Doctor Oscar won the Gyeongnam DoMin Ilbo Trophy last November and also has a runner-up finish to her name over a mile at class 3 level putting her firmly in today’s frame. (5) RAON FOREST comes in having run out an emphatic winner over 1400M at class 4 on March 5th. She has run some super times at the shorter distances and shouldn’t be dismissed. Those will probably be the top four in the betting but plenty of others have potential. (9) GOLD CHEONSA is perhaps the most intriguing at this point.
|Selections||(10) Raon Giant (7) Jeulgeounyeojeong (6) Doctor Oscar (5) Raon Forest|
|Next Best||9, 4|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 7: Class 5 (1700M) Special Weight B / KRW 40 Million
(5) RAON THE CHARLIE is yet to win in seven attempts but comes in having run 2nd in both his latest two at 1200M and 1300M, coming off the pace both times and running through the line well. He comes up to two turns for the first time but given the way he has been finishing off his races, it could be exactly what he needs, and he can make the breakthrough today. (4) CRAZY LOVE is the main danger. She ran out a class and distance winner on March 4th, leading from gate to wire and while she comes up 2.5kg in the weights, she can repeat. (9) GAMGOK SUNSHINE ran 2nd in that March 4th race and while she disappointed in a subsequent effort, she shouldn’t be dismissed. She tends to get too far back in her races but can run on. (8) MISS WIN STAR and (2) SAEBYEOK BAND others in the hunt.
|Selections||(5) Raon The Charlie (4) Crazy Love (9) Gamgok Sunshine (8) Miss Win Star|
|Next Best||2, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 8, 11|
Seoul Race 8: Class 5 (1700M) Special Weight B / KRW 40 Million
(4) META BLADE got her maiden win two starts back at 1300M before running 4th over 1400M on her first try at this class on March 12th. She comes up 2kg in the weights under today’s conditions, but still remains nicely in, and the step up to two turns for the first time can suit. (2) FIRE POWER did nothing on debut last autumn but returned five months later to win over 1400M on March 25th. He comes up in both class and distance but draws nicely and can measure up. (6) BITNANEUN JILJU was a class and distance winner in February and followed up with a 3rd place over a mile last month. He carries 3kg more than when he won – and that is his only win in thirty starts – but he should be there or thereabouts here, settling back and running on. (8) NEOREUL EUNGWONHAE and (3) SUBAL DORIANG among others in the frame.
|Selections||(4) Meta Blade (2) Fire Power (6) Bitnaneun Jilju (8) Neoreul Eongwonhae|
|Next Best||3, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5, 9|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1700M) Special Weight B / KRW 75 Million
(6) CHOEGANG PARTY is a reliable if unspectacular old stager, and he looks as though he is ready for another win. He comes in off a 3rd place over 1800M on March 26th when settling back and running on and comes in under the same weight today. David Breux knows him well and this could be their day. (2) LAPIEO BAN beat three of these on his way to a strong runner-up finish at this class over 1800M on March 19th when handy throughout. He only comes up 1kg in the weights and draws very nicely to go close again. (7) DREAM FASHION was a close 3rd at class and distance on February 18th when sitting back and finishing well. Today’s set weights don’t do him any favours but, in this company, he has placing chances. (11) GLOBAL YEONGUNG and (10) ACHIM HAMSEONG among others who may be considered.
|Selections||(6) Choegang Party (2) Lapieo Ban (7) Dream Fashion (11) Global Yeongung|
|Next Best||10, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 8|
Seoul Race 10: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(3) BEAT RUNNER is rapidly up by two classes having won her latest two outings, both over 1200M and both in fine style, settling midfield and running on. She is nicely weighted and drawn here and the step up in trip shouldn’t be a problem. She can complete her hat-trick. (1) GORGEOUS SERVE also comes up in class, in her case following 3rd place at 1700M on March 25th when from the widest gate, she settled at the back of the field and finished off very well. She comes down significantly in the weights and comes into a much better gate and she should be competitive here. (6) YUJEONG CHAMP defied big odds to run 3rd over 1400M at this class on March 18th, running through the line well. He has run good times at this distance and can go well again. (2) KING KALLE and (10) BOMNALUI GIEOK others to keep safe.
|Selections||(3) Beat Runner (1) Gorgeous Serve (6) Yujeong Champ (2) King Kalle|
|Next Best||10, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5, 7|
Seoul Race 11: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(10) LEGEND DAY was a class and distance winner two starts back with three of today’s rivals behind him and then followed up with a 3rd place at a mile on March 26th. He carries the same weight as he did in that February win and while he may need a touch of luck at the start, he has enough early speed to find a good position and he can win. (2) COBRA BALL finished midfield in the Listed Segye Ilbo in January before running a fair 5th on his first try at regular class 1 over this distance on March 5th. He too carries a light weight, he draws very well, and he has a chance. (7) WANG BEOTKKOT has finished behind Legend Day in both his latest two but consistently runs quick times at this distance and can go close here. (6) MIGHTY NEW and the up in class (8) ECHO BILL among others to consider.
|Selections||(10) Legend Day (2) Cobra Ball (7) Wang Beotkkot (6) Mighty New|
|Next Best||8, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5, 10|