Sunday’s feature is the G3 Herald Business where Winner’s Man, who went on to win the Korea Cup and Grand Prix Stakes, will bid to retain the trophy he was a year ago. See here for a full preview of the race. There are 11 races at Seoul from 10:35 to 18:00 plus 6 at Busan from 11:00 to 15:40. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Special Weight A / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens and (10) THEME TANSAENG will be the favourite. After running 5th on debut, he was an improved 2nd at start number two over this distance on March 4th. He was well beaten by a good winner that day, but the time was fair, and his running style so far suggests that the wide draw won’t be a problem. (4) HIGH BORN ME was an improved 3rd on his latest start over 1300M on March 18th. He was ridden forward for the first time that day having been slow away and settled back in each of his previous three and with similar tactics here, he can make further progress. (5) GOLD MIGHTY has three top-four finishes from four starts so far. He has a strong finish on him and can sit behind the speed and run on here. (6) SAENAE VIVA, who has the fastest time of any of these over the distance, and (9) COLITAS are other potentials for minor money.
|Selections||(10) Theme Tansaeng (4) High Born Me (5) Gold Mighty (6) Saenae Viva|
|Next Best||9, 3|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 6, 7|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Special Weight A / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens. (6) UNJU BONNEUNG ran 4th on debut on March 19th when settling midfield before getting shuffled back but then running on well. He should have benefitted for that run, Franco climbs on, the slight raise in trip can suit and he could be the one to beat. His time on debut was a little quicker than that of (5) NAMHAE MISO, who ran 3rd on her first start on March 17th. She too should have come on for the run and draws a much better gate this time around. (7) RUNNING FASHION also draws better than she did on debut when from an unpromising position, she worked home well for 5th over this distance. She should go better here. (8) PINHOLE EYE and (1) HAMA among other placing hopes.
|Selections||(6) Unju Bonneung (5) Namhae Miso (7) Running Fashion (8) Pinhole Eye|
|Next Best||1, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Special Weight A / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maiden fillies. (2) HAEUNDAE GALMAEGI ran 5th on debut before almost leading all the way around on her second appearance in a similar race to this over 1300M on March 18th, ultimately going down less than half a length. Third up here she may be peaking and under the same weight and from a good draw, she could go all the way this time. (3) CANDY GLOW was a big improver at start number four on March 19th when on pace and running a close 3rd. She’ll be disputing the lead here and can be in this a long way. (7) FINE CAMP has been knocking on the door in her latest two, coming from off the pace for 2nd in her latest outing over 1300M on February 5th. She has the fastest final furlong average time of any of these and after a couple of months off comes in fresh and should go close. (10) APEX and first-time starter (1) NEW POINT among others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(2) Haeundae Galmaegi (3) Candy Glow (7) Fine Camp (10) Apex|
|Next Best||1, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 10|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1400M) Special Weight A / KRW 25 Million
It’s hard to go far past (3) PURPLE LINE. He comes in having run 2nd over 1400M at start number three on March 5th beating three of these in the process and while well beaten by a good winner, the time and the performance was good. He draws similarly well, and it would be a surprise were he not to go one better today. (1) ADELE HORANGI has seven top-five finishes from eight starts so far with just the win remaining elusive. He was a beaten favourite last time out on March 24th when 4th over 1300M and while he hasn’t tackled this distance before, he has run well at a mile and should be close here. (6) WONDERFUL IMPACT beat a couple of these on her way to 3rd place at this distance on March 17th. She comes up 2.5kg in the weights without an apprentice claim but Choi Si-dae climbing aboard can be in her favour. (8) ECTON POWER and (2) GASOK JEIL others.
|Selections||(3) Purple Line (1) Adele Horangi (6) Wonderful Impact (8) Ecton Power|
|Next Best||2, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 6|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Special Weight A / KRW 25 Million
(2) SILVER BOOSTER comes in following a 2nd and a 4th from his latest two at 1200M at 1300M, both times settling handy and running on. There isn’t much speed here so he may well be on pace, and he has a stronger finish than any of his rivals here. (4) JEONGSANG LUCKY comes back in trip and into a much better gate than she has had in any of her last three. The last time she ran over this distance she was 2nd in a time faster than any of the others here have managed for 1200M and she should get a much easier earlier run than has been available to her of late. (5) TIZ ROCKET was 4th behind Silver Booster two starts back and followed up by finishing in the same position three weeks ago. He comes down a full 4.5kg in the weights with an apprentice claim and can be considered for improvement here. (1) ARGO MUJEOK and (6) J.Y. COCO others to consider.
|Selections||(2) Silver Booster (4) Jeongsang Lucky (5) Tiz Rocket (1) Argo Mujeok|
|Next Best||6, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 6|
Busan Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(5) GLOBAL SKY is yet to win but comes up in class following back-to-back runner-up finishes over this distance in good times. He comes down slightly in the weights, draws well, can be on or close to the speed and can win. Also up in class is (2) WONDERFUL PHONE. In her case it follows a maiden win at start number four on March 12th when she made all over 1300M. That win had been coming and continuing under light weight and from a good gate, she can measure up in this company. (7) HANEUL MISO was a front-running 2nd at class and distance on March 17th having led for much of the way. She is another maiden, but she should be on pace again today and can be in it a long way once more. (9) B.K. GALLOP is another up in class following a last start victory over this distance leading all the way. She is under a light weight and despite the wide draw, has claims again. (8) STATICE another placing hope.
|Selections||(5) Global Sky (2) Wonderful Phone (7) Haneul Miso (9) B.K. Gallop|
|Next Best||8, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Tricky race but (2) NAEGILUI QUEEN is probably the one to beat. She has mixed her form in three starts at this level since getting her maiden win over 1000M in December, but she was a close 4th last time out over 1200M when closing strongly. She draws much better than her previous start over this distance and today may well be ridden on pace. She can win. (3) FLYING LIGHT weakened late on over 1400M on his most recent appearance. That was his first disappointing run to date, but the margins weren’t huge and back in trip today he can sit handy and then run on. (5) JEONGWOO FOREVER was a winner over this distance at class 6 level two starts back and then ran fairly for 5th of eight on his first try at this class on March 4th. He was only a length-and-a-half behind the winner though and can be given another chance here. (4) SHOOTING REVERSE and (10) SEONGEUN CROWN among others who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(2) Naegilui Queen (3) Flying Light (5) Jeongwoo Forever (4) Shooting Reverse|
|Next Best||10, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 7, 9|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1800M) Special Weight B / KRW 40 Million
(10) WONDERFUL CHANCE will be a warm favourite here. After getting his maiden win over a mile in February, he stepped up to this class and distance on March 17th and ran a strong 2nd racing on the pace throughout and only narrowly going down. He only comes up 1kg in the weights as a result and he should have too much for this field. (2) DALLILLAEYO will be second favourite. He is yet to win in seven attempts, but he hasn’t finished outside of the to-five since his debut. He stepped up to this distance in that same March 17th race and finished 5th having settled midfield. He comes into a better gate today and can be a danger. (11) FIRST PARK comes in having run 2nd at class and distance on March 10th. He draws wider today but only comes up 1kg in the weights and can be in the hunt again. (12) RUNNING WARRIOR was 4th in the same race and while she has an even sterner challenge from the gate, can be competitive. (9) CUQUENAN another in the placing calculations.
|Selections||(10) Wonderful Chance (2) Dallillaeyo (11) First Park (12) Running Warrior|
|Next Best||9, 3|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(3) JEOLDAE GACHI was 4th on debut in February before running out an emphatic winner over this distance at start number two on March 19th, practically making all and crossing the line nine-lengths to the good. He comes up in class here and faces older horses for the first time, but the manner of that victory suggests there is more to come, and he should make it two in a row. (8) DREAM SKY also comes up in class. In her case she remains a maiden but hot her second runner-up finish over this distance on March 12th when on pace. She has the best start among these, and the small field means the widest gate shouldn’t be too much of a disadvantage. She also comes down 2kg in the weights. (4) CLASSIC STAR has been back to trial since the latest of her three consecutive 5th place finishes in January. She looked very well in that trial, stopping the clock in a fast time just three lengths adrift of an admittedly cruising Heunghaeng Jilju. She wasn’t asked to do too much and can go well on her return here. (7) CHOIN SPARK and (6) GEUMA FIERY others in the frame.
|Selections||(3) Jeoldae Gachi (8) Dream Sky (4) Classic Star (7) Choin Spark|
|Next Best||6, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4, 8|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap /KRW 60 Million
(2) COME ON FIRST has only finished 1st on one occasion so far but enters with recent form reading well and that victory did come over a mile. He was among five of these who raced one another at class and distance on March 10th, coming home in 3rd place having raced handy throughout. He can come out on top here. That’s day’s winner was the longest shot on the board, (1) THUNDER CLOUD. She was boldly taken to the front from the widest gate and ran on well for an unlikely win. Lightning may not strike twice, and she does come up 3kg in the weights, but that’s balanced a little by a much better draw and she shouldn’t be discounted. (9) LADY GOLDEN was 4th in the March 10th race and continues under a light weight with an apprentice claim here. She has the fastest time of any of these for the mile, recorded when winning two starts back at this class, and she can get closer today. (5) MACH WONDER and (12) CHEONNYEONUIGUREUM among others in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(2) Come On First (1) Thunder Cloud (9) Lady Golden (5) Mach Wonder|
|Next Best||12, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Fillies and mares only here. (2) RANUT has won three from six in total, including her latest two over 1200M and 1400M most recently a narrow victory in a good time at this level on February 19th. She has had eight weeks off since then and she comes up 3.5g in the weights. She draws nicely to get on pace though and she can make it three in a row. (4) JEDI FORCE ran out a good winner at this class over 1300M on March 12th. She was ridden further forward that day than in other recent outings and today can sit handy and run on. (8) SAENAE QUEEN is yet to finish any worse than 3rd from five starts and made all to win in a good time over this class and distance in January. She has had eleven weeks off and she does come up a full 4kg in the weights, but she shouldn’t be overlooked. (6) PINE FARM and (11) ELITE RULES among others with at least placing claims.
|Selections||(2) Ranut (4) Jedi Force (8) Saenae Queen (6) Pine Farm|
|Next Best||11, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6, 8|
Busan Race 6: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
Five of these raced each other at this class over 1200M on March 17th and it was (4) DOCTOR CAESAR who came out the best of them, running 2nd having led for most of the way, only to be passed by the favourite late on. He carries his fair share of weight again, but he comes into a much better gate, and he has won in a quick time over this distance before. (3) DONGTEUJA BOY returns to action following six months off. He was in very good form before the layoff and looked well when a fast 2nd in a March trial, He will no doubt need this, but he draws well and carries a light weight and can go well first up. (9) TOP FIRE beat three of these on his way to 3rd place at class and distance on February 19th, settling midfield and running on. He continues under a light weight here and can be competitive again. (5) SEUNGNI MAGICQUEEN and (1) AGAIN TOUCH others firmly in the hunt.
|Selections||(4) Doctor Caesar (3) Dongteuja Boy (9) Top Fire (5) Seungni Magicqueen|
|Next Best||1, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 10|
Seoul Race 7: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRR 75 Million
Good race. (1) MIGHTY LOOK ran 5th on debut but has since won both her starts, both over this distance and both times when settling midfield or worse and running on. She comes up in class here and will probably need to go quicker, but she is down in the weights, draws well and could complete a hat-trick. (4) BEST CHEONSANG comes in off back-to-back 3rd place finishes at class and distance. She remains nicely in here and can on or near the pace and should be aiming to match or even better those 3rd places here. (5) THIS CHALLENGE beat Best Cheonsang when winning at class and distance two starts back in a quick time. He carries 4kg more here than he did that day and was 5th on his reappearance a month ago but did have to contend with a wide draw. (11) EAST BAN beat This Challenge when 3rd over 1400M on March 18th. He likes to be on pace so may need some luck from the widest draw but shouldn’t be overlooked. (3) MIRACLE DAUGHTER is better than her latest outing suggests, and she won a trail last week in a quick time. So long as she didn’t leave her race in the heat, she can go close.
|Selections||(1) Mighty Look (4) Best Cheonsang (5) This Challenge (11) East Ban|
|Next Best||3, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 9, 11|
Seoul Race 8: Class Open (2000M) Herald Business Cup (KOR G3) Weight for Age / KRW 500 Million
The first leg of the Stayer Series and (8) WINNER’S MAN makes his 2023 Group race debut. The Korea Cup and Grand Prix Stakes winner was less than impressive in his warmup for this race, running 4th over 1800M when carrying 60kg at class 1 on February 26th. That race obviously wasn’t the target, this is and at level weights he will be expected to return to form here. He has been beaten when it matters before, however, notably here at Seoul and over this distance in last November’s G1 President’s Cup. If he is to be upset, (4) TUHONUI BANSEOK looks the most likely candidate. He was 3rd in the KRA Cup Classic before almost getting across to Winner’s Man and Raon The Fighter in the Grand Prix. He has since recorded two 3rd place finishes, including ahead of Winner’s Man in February and he can be a danger here. (5) RAON THE SPURT gets a 2.5kg weight allowance by virtue of being both four-years-old and a filly. She won the final leg of the Queens’ Tour at this distance down at Busan last November and the kind of times that she has been running suggest she can measure up with the elite. That weight allowance puts her right in this. (7) BARBARIAN and (6) CHIEF INDY are among others to look out for in a very good race.
|Selections||(8) Winner’s Man (4) Tuhonui Banseok (5) Raon The Spurt (7) Barbarian|
|Next Best||6, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 9: Class 4 (1700M) Special Weight B / KRW 60 Million
(7) FALL IN LOVE ins two for two having won both starts so far in fine fashion over 1200M and 1300M. He comes up in class and also significantly in trip, but he might be worth taking a chance on again to maintain his 100% record, most probably from the front. (4) YONGHOJIMA is the danger and potentially the betting favourite. He beat four of these on his way to a class and distance win on March 12th when settling just behind the pace and running on. He comes up 2kg in the weights but has every chance of being competitive again. (3) CURRERECUS was 2nd n that March 12th in what marked a big uptick in form on recent starts. He draws nicely here and has lots of experience at the distance. (2) AMAZING WHIZ and (9) MONEY GARAK are others to keep safe on a place line.
|Selections||(7) Fall In Love (4) Yonghojima (3) Currerecus (2) Amazing Whiz|
|Next Best||9, 5|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 10: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(3) S.I. COCO ran 2nd on debut on Christmas Day when coming from well off the pace over 1000M but has won both subsequent starts at 1200M and 1400M, making all both times. He comes up in class here but is nicely drawn and weighted and he can continue on his merry way. (4) MAGIC HOUR came up short in the Sports Seoul Classic Trial last month, but he was a class and distance winner in February when settling midfield and running on. He is up 3kg on that win but in this company, he should be a danger. (11) HANGANG CHAMP was also a class and distance winner on March 19th when handy throughout. He comes up a full 4kg in the weights and will have the challenge of the outside gate, but a repeat isn’t impossible. (9) RAON THE HIGHMAN is up in class after an all the way win from the widest gate on March 19th. He carries a light weight and can measure up. (2) SERVE ACE another who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(3) S.I. Coco (4) Magic Hour (11) Hangang Champ (9) Raon The Highman|
|Next Best||2, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 11: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(7) LEEWOLMA has won three times and finished runner-up three times from a total of six starts so far. He likes to run on pace or handy and he looks very much the one to beat today. That will mean overturning the form on (9) FLYING GOLD who beat Leewolma and three others who go here, when winning at big odds over class and distance on March 12th, swooping home from off the pace. After losing his way for a couple of starts it was a return to form and he has now won four from ten. Despite the 3.5kg raise, he can be considered for a repeat. (3) MY WIN comes up in class after a good win over this distance on March 12th when leading every step of the way. He is down 3kg in the weights and he draws well here. The recent form drops off a little after that with (2) ROYAL ROAD and (8) COMPLETE TIME perhaps best placed to return to pick up.
|Selections||(7) Leewolma (9) Flying Gold (3) My Win (2) Royal Road|
|Next Best||8, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 7|