Saturday’s racing is at Seoul with 10 races from 10:35 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Special Weight A / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens and a couple look ready to win. Chief among those is (8) BANFF, who ran 3rd on debut in February before improving to 2nd on March 19th in a good time over this distance. He’ll be on pace here and it can be third time lucky. Any top-three finish will see Banff up to class 5 next time and that’s true too for (7) FINAL JILJU. She also has a runner-up finish to her name over this distance and comes in off a 3rd place over 1300M on March 18th when coming from off the pace. She may be ridden a little handier here with the slight drop in trip and she should be close again. (3) PURPLE WINK is the solitary debut-maker. He won a March trial in a good time and from a nice draw can be a factor first-up. (9) FEDERAL PRESS has shown gradual improvement across three starts so far. He has generally left himself too much to do but his last start 5th was encouraging. (6) TAMRA CHOEGANGJA another in the hunt.
|Selections||(8) Banff (7) Final Jilju (3) Purple Wink (9) Federal Press|
|Next Best||6, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Special Weight A / KRW 25 Million
(8) DAERYUN SIDAE came close to a gate to wire win over 1300M on March 12th, only to be denied by a neck in the final strides. That was the first time she had been ridden forward and was her second consecutive placing. She comes back slightly in trip and in this small field the widest gate shouldn’t be a problem. (2) DARK ZONE returns to action for the first time since last July. He has a 5th and a 4th on his record and looked well enough in a March trial when on pace and crossing the line 2nd in a fair time. With not much early speed in the race, he should be on pace and in this a long way. (5) WONPYEONG SKY has a 3rd place to his name at this trip when overcoming the widest gate. He followed up with a 5th of ten over 1300M on March 18th and should be competitive here. (7) HOUYHNHNM and (6) CHALLANHAN POKPUNG others to keep safe.
|Selections||(8) Daeryun Sidae (2) Dark Zone (5) Wonpyeong Sky (7) Houyhnhnm|
|Next Best||6, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 8|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Special Weight A / KRW 25 Million
It’s hard to go too far past (5) STAND BY ME here. He’s been knocking firmly on the door in his latest few including a last start 2nd over this distance on March 18th when handy throughout. There isn’t much speed here so he should get an easy run early on and can go one better today. (11) CHOEGO POINT has run encouragingly in his latest two, running on for 4th last time out over 1400M. He has run some fair times over this trip and Antonio climbing aboard can be in his favour. (8) FLY DAY has finished off well in each of his three starts so far with his best being 3rd over 1200M. He comes up to this trip for the first time and it may well suit. (3) LAST PITCH and (1) GOLDEN PEARL other potential place chances.
|Selections||(5) Stand By Me (11) Choego Point (8) Fly Day (3) Last Pitch|
|Next Best||1, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(6) TANGJA’s win came at 1200M at class 6 level back in December and since then he has gone on to perform solidly in three attempts at this class including a close 4th over this distance on March 25th when from a wide draw, he had to settle back. He comes into a better gate today and may take some beating. Having won a trial, (9) WONDERFUL SLEW duly won on debut over 1200M back in December. She reappears for the first time since up in class and up in distance, but she remains nicely weighted, and she can measure up first-up here. (5) HANGANG JIJON also comes up in class having won well over this distance on March 11th. That was a big uptick in form, but he comes down in the weights and a repeat of that run puts him in the finish. (1) ROSE GOLD and (3) HUIMANG OREUM are others in the minor money frame.
|Selections||(6) Tangja (9) Wonderful Slew (5) Hangang Jijon (1) Rose Gold|
|Next Best||3, 8|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(4) BULUI NALGAE comes in off his maiden win at start number six over 1300M on March 18th. It had been coming too as he had been getting progressively closer in his previous outings. He comes up in class here but down in the weights and the slightly extended trip can suit. (11) MONEY JANGGUN remains a maiden but got promoted to this class following two runner-up finishes at class 6. He then overcame the widest gate to run 3rd at this class on February 25th. His style is to settle back and run on and while so far, he has run out of track each time, he is another who may be suited by the seven-furlongs today. (7) BEST JEONSA is another maiden, but he has plenty of experience at this level and has run good times over the distance. He comes into a better gate than in his latest two so may well be on the early speed here and can be in this a long way. (10) ALL FOR YOUR DREAM and (5) NAMSAN MUJEOK among others in the hunt.
|Selections||(4) Bului Nalgae (11) Money Janggun (7) Best Jeonsa (10) All For Your Dream|
|Next Best||5, 3|
|Fast Start||4, 7, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(9) CATS EYE got his maiden win back in November, making all over 1000M and was then off for almost four months, returning on March 12th to run a very close 2nd at this class and distance. He should strip fitter for that run and can go one better today. The main danger a possible betting favourite is (6) LEGEND SOCKS. She has run 3rd in two starts back following a four-and-a-half-month absence, both at class and distance and both times racing handy to the speed. She should be peaking fitness-wise third-up here and draws well to be on or close to the speed again. (10) NAOL GONI was a winner at class 6 level over 1300M in January, before coming home a good 3rd on his first try at this class and distance on February 18th. He has had a couple of months off since then and while he draws a bit wider than ideal, he should be competitive again. (1) TEUKGEUP DAERO is up in class but down in weight and along with (2) ROAD ACE, is another who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(9) Cats Eye (6) Legend Socks (10) Naol Goni (1) Teukgeup Daero|
|Next Best||2, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
A good race for the level and it’s headed up by a couple who finished back in the field in the Sports Seoul Trophy, the capital’s Classic trial, last month and who are presumably off the Triple Crown trail, at least for now. (10) FARCIARZ has won from the front and from settling midfield and he has a runner-up finish at this class over a mile to his name. He ran 7th of twelve in the Sports Seoul but he also has the fastest time of any of these for this trip and while he carries his fair share of weight, he can win. (4) WOLF PLAY was 9th in the Sports Seoul having begun well but saw his challenge ended early. Going on his previous appearance when he was a class and distance winner, making all, he can be given another chance here although he is up 5kg on that win. (6) MAESTRA is up rapidly in class having won her latest two, both over this distance, both times settling midfield and finishing well. She has only missed the top-three on one occasion, she remains low in the weights and Moon Se-young remains up. (5) GLOBAL MAGIC and (1) CHEONMA CHAT among plenty of others with at least placing chances.
|Selections||(10) Farciarz (4) Wolf Play (6) Maestra (5) Global Magic|
|Next Best||1, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(4) YOUNGYOUNG SOCKS was given a spin around 1800M for his latest start in March but while she led for much of the way, she weakened in the closing stages. She has an excellent record at this distance though with a win and then a very close 2nd from her two tries at it. Most recently at this class. He’ll be on pace here and has every chance. (1) UNICORN KINGDOM comes rapidly up in class having won his latest two, both over 1200M. He comes up to this trip for the first time but comes down in the weights and draws very nicely. (6) TAPDOWN is a winner at this class over 1200M. He enters off a close 4th over this trip on March 19th and can be running on strong here. (9) CHOIN GANGJA and (8) EAGLE POINT among plenty of others with at least placing chances.
|Selections||(4) Youngyoung Socks (1) Unicorn Kingdom (6) Tapdown (9) Choin Gangja|
|Next Best||8, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 5, 7|
Seoul Race 9: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
Small but competitive field. (1) NIMUI HYANGGI has been consistent in his recent starts and has run some fast times at class and distance. He tends to settle back and run on and while that can leave him with too much to do, he has a strong finish on him and from a good draw if he can be in striking distance at the top of the straight, he has a chance. (3) BALVENIE came back down to one turn racing on April 1st, and it seemed to jolt him back into form as he ran 2nd at class and distance having led almost all the way. He returns as quickly as permitted here, draws well, and can lead again. (4) CHAMJOEUN CHINGU was a winner over this trip first-up following eight months off in February. She then struggled over a mile in a race where the form book went out of the window for her first try at class 2. She remains nicely weighted and is worth another chance here. (5) MENI CHAMP and (6) RAON FASHION among others in the frame.
|Selections||(1) Nimui Hyanggi (3) Balvenie (4) Chamjoeun Chingu (5) Meni Champ|
|Next Best||6, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 6|
Seoul Race 10: Class 3 (1700M) Special Weight B / KRW 75 Million
Competitive race to conclude the card. It’s been six runs without a win for (7) YONGAM BOSS but he enters with recent form reading very well with a 2nd and a 3rd over 1800M from his latest two, both at this class. He can sit handy here, he has a strong finish, and he could return to the winner’s circle. (6) CHEONMA BISANG beat three of these on his way to scoring over 1800M at this class on March 11th. He comes up 3kg in the weights but should be on pace again and a repeat isn’t impossible. (1) CHEONGDAM TANK comes back up to two turns for the first time in a while. She is nicely weighted here, and the inside draw should give Song Jae-chul plenty of options. Expect her to be on the speed and in this a long way. (5) JEONGMUN ACE and (2) THE QUEEN JUSTICE were 2nd and 5th behind Cheongma Bisang in that March 11th race, and both get a slight swing in their favour weight wise today.
|Selections||(7) Yongam Boss (6) Cheonma Bisang (1) Cheongdam Tank (5) Jeongmun Ace|
|Next Best||2, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 8, 9|