Sunday’s racing is at Seoul with 11 races from 10:35 to 18:00 and at Busan with 6 races from 11:00 to 15:40. The highlight is at Seoul where surprise Segye Ilbo Trophy winner Wow Wow returns to face that day’s favourite Raon The Spurt. Black Musk also joins them in the class 1 feature over 1400M. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Special Weight A / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens in the opener and there will be a warm favourite. (2) LEGEND K comes in off a good 3rd place at this distance on February 4th, having settled back and run on, beating a couple of these in the process. He comes un under the same conditions today and from a similarly gate and he won’t need to improve much to win this. (3) CHECK POINT took a string of trials to finally qualify but once he did appear on the racecourse, he came from well back to run 3rd over 1200M. The time wasn’t quick but should have come on for the experience, he comes into a much better gate and the additional half furlong can suit. Also coming into a better gate is (5) HUNTER BLADE. He ran on fairly for a midfield finish last time out and should have more scope for further development. (7) GROW and (12) EVERY CHARM the others in the hunt.
|Selections||(2) Legend K (3) Check Point (5) Hunter Blade (7) Grow|
|Next Best||12, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6, 7|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Special Weight A / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens with two of the ten racing for the first time. One of those, (7) KALJABI, goes on top. He trialled up well last October and then blitzed another heat in double quick time on February 11th, making all and stopping the clock in a fast time. He draws fairly enough to get on pace here and if he brings his trial form to the races, he may take some beating. The main danger is (10) SINHAE MANGCHI. He ran a strong 3rd on debut on February 5th over this distance beating a couple of today’s rivals. The draw isn’t the best here, but he doesn’t need to lead, and he should be going close again here. (3) CHOICE ROAD has run fairly in all three starts so far including an on-pace 3rd at this distance on February 3rd and from another good draw should be on pace and in this a long way. (5) DUBAI WONJEONGDAE and (9) HAERANG JANGGUN others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(7) Kaljabi (10) Sinhae Mangchi (3) Choice Road (5) Dubai Wonjeongdae|
|Next Best||9, 8|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Special Weight A / KRW 40 Million
More three-year-old maidens and two standouts here, both of whom finished in 2nd on their respective debuts in pretty much identical times over this distance. It’s a coin-toss but we’ll go with (4) URUS QUEEN. After a positive trial she was relatively well backed on debut on January 28th in an all-filly maiden and was handy throughout before running on for that 2nd place. She draws well to sit behind the early speed again and can win. (8) COMPLETE LEADER ran very similarly on his debut the following day, sitting handy and running on. He will be on or close to the pace here and can go close. (7) THIS WEEKEND was 5th in that race behind Complete Leader, having led for much of the way around. That was an improvement from his debut, and he can continue to make progress here. (3) SSEULMO should be on pace and in this a long way while debut-maker (2) VET CAPTAIN is another in the hunt.
|Selections||(4) Urus Queen (8) Complete Leader (7) This Weekend (3) Sseulmo|
|Next Best||2, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4, 5|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1400M) Special Weight A / KRW 25 Million
(3) MA GUN will probably be favourite here. He returns to action for the first time since last August when he was 4th over 1300M having run 5th on debut. He looked sharp in a February trial and has winning chances first up today. From a wide draw, (2) PURPLE LINE failed to get involved on his second start on January 27th and his first at this distance. Go on his debut just before Christmas though when 3rd over 1300M, and he warrants a chance from a much better draw. (5) MIRACULUM is a seventeen-race maiden but enters with his recent form reading well having beaten plenty of these in his latest two over 1400M and a mile. A similar run will put him in the finish here. (8) HAPPY BLUE, a stablemate of Miraculum, and (11) STORMY DAY others who can enter the minor money frame.
|Selections||(3) Ma Gun (2) Purple Line (5) Miraculum (8) Happy Blue|
|Next Best||11, 6|
|Fast Start||8, 9, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Special Weight A / KRW 25 Million
A maiden for fillies and mares only. (6) TES MARY is the one to beat with a 3rd and a 5th from her latest two, at this distance and at 1300M. She has tended to get a bit back in her races before running on strongly, but she may be a little more forward today and with Moon Se-young aboard, she is sure to be well backed. The main danger is (10) FOUR ACE. She ran 4th to Tes Mary’s 3rd two starts back before registering a 3rd place of her own over this distance on February 5th when settling at the back of the field and working home well. The wide draw shouldn’t be a problem and she can be challenging late again. (8) TOP TIER has shown on pace in both starts so far before finishing 4th and 5th and can build on those here while (2) COSMO QUEEN defied big odds to record a significantly improved 3rd last time out. That was back in November so she comes off sixteen weeks away but draws well and can go close. (7) JAEWOO SIDAE has placed before and could again.
|Selections||(6) Tes Mary (10) Four Ace (8) Top Tier (2) Cosmo Queen|
|Next Best||7, 8|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 8, 11|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
It took (7) PHANTOM ACE twelve attempts to get his maiden win, which he finally achieved in January, but based on his first try at this class on February 10th, he should be getting his second much quicker. He sat midfield that day before running on for 3rd at this distance. He has the fastest time among these for the 1200M too (albeit recorded on a weekend the track was very fast), and he is the one to beat here. (5) GOOD MAGIC was 2nd on debut before scoring at start number two over this distance on February 5th when on pace throughout. She comes up in class here but carries a feather weight in his back and she can measure up in this company. (3) DOCTOR KONGDOLI comes back in trip after a fair enough spin over 1400M a month ago. She has a good finish on her and so long as she doesn’t too far back, can be a danger. Up in class following maiden wins, the pair of (6) FAST FURY and (1) JEONGSEONG DAERO will need to improve but can be considered.
|Selections||(7) Phantom Ace (5) Good Magic (3) Doctor Kongdoli (6) Fast Fury|
|Next Best||1, 12|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(7) GLOBAL POWER has been knocking on the door of a second win in four starts since being promoted to this level in which he has finished no worse than 4th. On his latest outing on January 29th, he came from midfield to run 2nd, well beaten by a good winner, but well clear of the favourite in 3rd place. He comes up 1.5kg in the weights but he won’t need to improve much to win here. The main danger is (2) UNICORN KINGDOM. He has mixed his form across five starts so far but comes up in class following a smart front-running win over this distance on February 5th. He comes down in the weights, draws well to be on pace again, and should be in this a long way. (5) CLOUTER is another who can mix good and bad runs but based on his latest when 2nd at class and distance, settling back and running on, he can be considered. (6) JAKDUKONG and (8) TUHON GISANG others to keep safe.
|Selections||(7) Global Power (2) Unicorn Kingdom (5) Clouter (6) Jakdukong|
|Next Best||8, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 7, 8|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Tricky race. (8) YEOSU TORNADO just about gets the verdict but it’s not with a huge amount of confidence. He comes in having got his maiden win at the thirteenth time of asking over this distance on February 3rd when handy throughout. He comes up in class but down in the weights and the win had been coming with his running 2nd at the start before. He won’t need to improve too much to be competitive. (3) O.K. THUNDER come sin after a smart 3rd place over 1400M on February 10th. The same apprentice jockey keeps the carried weight light and from a good draw he can be on pace and in this a long way. (6) MONEY CASE has a 3rd place at class and distance to his name as recently as December. At his latest start over 1400M he was drawn wide and couldn’t get to his favoured forward position but still ran well for 4th. From a much better draw and back up in trip, he will be a danger. (4) PATRIOT and (2) MILK DAY among others in the frame.
|Selections||(8) Yeosu Tornado (3) O.K. Thunder (6) Money Case (4) Patriot|
|Next Best||2, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 6, 12|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(5) FALL IN LOVE ran out a dominant winner on debut in an all-filly race over 1200M on February 4th. She comes up in class and in distance here but she comes down in the weights and the way she worked through the line suggests there is more to come from her. (6) CUPID BISANG doesn’t exactly win out of turn but enters with her recent form reading very consistent. At her latest she was an on-pace 2nd at class and distance at the end of January and while she may once more find one or two too quick, she looks a solid place hope again. (8) ARGO SMILE did nothing on debut in November but came back out on February 5th and ran out a seven-length winner over 1200M. He comes up in class today and while the absence of an apprentice means he actually comes up in weights, Moon Se-young climbing on balances that out. (2) BLOOMING STAR and (1) SUPREME STAR the other logical contenders for the money.
|Selections||(5) Fall In Love (6) Cupid Bisang (8) Argo Smile (2) Blooming Star|
|Next Best||1, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5, 6|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) YASAENGHWA overcame a wide draw and a slow start to run on strongly for 4th place over 1200M at this class on February 10th. She comes down slightly in the weights, comes into a much better gate, and she may be ready for another crack at this distance. To win she will have to overcome the probable favourite, (8) CHEONGHO BOSS. A class and distance winner two starts back, she ran 3rd on her most recent start on January 27th, coming from off the pace. Tactically versatile, she will surely be close again. (12) BAEK GU enters off back-to-back 3rdplace finishes, most recently at this class over a mile. She has a smart finish on her so the wide draw shouldn’t be problematic and she can aim for the places again. (4) ALIVE STAR and (2) RAON THE FLASH others who can be kept safe.
|Selections||(1) Yasaenghwa (8) Cheongho Boss (12) Baek Gu (4) Alive Star|
|Next Best||2, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6, 11|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) GOLDEN HONOR is the one to beat here. His only win came two starts back at class 5 level over 1300M but he ran fairly for 5th on his first try around two turns over 1700M a month ago. He tackles the unique 1600M start for the first time but from the inside gate he can get a ground saving run to the first turn while those who want or need to be on speed duke it out up front. He carries a light weight and can finish strongly. (4) ICE STAR isn’t one of those who need to lead and he already has experience of the distance, having run 4th at this level on January 29th. He rarely runs a bad race and can sit behind the lead and run on here again. (8) K N UNDERKING enters off a runner-up finish at class and distance on February 12th when handy and finishing well. He doesn’t draw so well today but he is another who has a good finish and should be involved at the business end. (2) ARFONS and (10) STAR BLADE others in the hunt.
|Selections||(1) Golden Honor (4) Ice Star (8) K N Underking (2) Arfons|
|Next Best||10, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 6|
Busan Race 6: Class 6 (2000M) Special Weight B / KRW 90 Million
(3) WARRIOR CLASS enters looking to seal a hat-trick of wins having scored in back-to-back races in January and February, first at class 3 and then at this level. He comes up a full 5kg on his February 10th victory when he overcame gate eleven to settle back and run on, but he has won under this impost before and with the weight balanced a little by a much better draw, he is the one to beat. (2) STAR EYE was an also-ran behind Warrior Class in that February 10th race when he was sent off as favourite and briefly led in the straight before dropping out of the fame. At the start before he was a class 3 winner over this distance and warrants another chance today. (1) GALAXY ROAD has plenty of experience at this level and consistently picks up at least minor money. He likes to be on the speed so he comes into a much better gate today than he had when 2nd over 200M on January 27th and should be in at least the placing mix again. (7) BOLAVEN and (9) JANGSAN BOBBY, both up in class but both able to handle themselves at this distance, others who may attract each-way interest.
|Selections||(3) Warrior Class (2) Star Eye (1) Galaxy Road (7) Bolaven|
|Next Best||9, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 7: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Competitive race. (8) BADEN BADEN ran 2nd over 1000M on debut in November before winning at start number two over 1200M on Christmas Day. She has had a couple of months off since then and comes up in class here but her running style so far suggests the distance can suit and she carries a very light weight. She may be available at an each-way price. (2) NEW CHEONGPA looks to be working towards a second win having only gone down by the narrowest of margins over 1300M on February 5th. In this company and from this gate, he should be on or close to the speed and has a big chance of going one better. (5) WONPYEONG KILLAR had a challenging day at the office when asked to tackle 1700M in early January. Although he is yet to win he has run some fast times and has a 2nd place to his name at this class over 1300M. He’s had eight weeks to recover from that latest effort and this should prove a more suitable assignment. (10) GEUMSEONG SEGYE and (11) SINUI BANJEON others who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(8) Baden Baden (2) New Cheongpa (5) Wonpyeong Killar (10) Geumseong Segye|
|Next Best||11, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 9|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
It’s hard to look past (7) JAY PHOENIX. In five starts so far, he is yet to finish any worse than the 3rd he recorded on debut and has won at this distance at class 5 level. He returned from five months off to run 2nd over 1200M on January 28th, should strip fitter for that run, and is very much the one to beat here. Three of these raced one another over 1200M on February 5th. (8) RAON FOREST was favourite that day but while she was running on, she only made it up to 4th. Coming back up in trip may suit and with Munro aboard, she will be well supported again. That can give her the opportunity to overturn the form on both (5) B.J. STORM and (3) DIA KEY, who came home 2nd and 3rd respectively in that race, the latter swooping home from an unpromising position. Both should be in the hunt again today. (4) SERVE ACE another to keep an eye on.
|Selections||(7) Jay Phoenix (8) Raon Forest (5) B.J. Storm (3) Dia Key|
|Next Best||4, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
Fillies and mares only here. (1) CHOEGANG QUEEN comes back in trip after recent work at 1400M including a 2nd and a 3rd in her latest two, both at this class. She comes up slightly in the weights but Moon Se-young climbs on, she draws well, and she is the one to beat. (6) MIRACLE DAUGHTER returns to action after six months out. Before the layoff, she won three in a row to get rapidly promoted to this class. It will be a tough ask for her to pick up from where she left off, but she looked well back in a November trial. She will need to be taken on trust, but she has the quality. (2) RACE WINNER lived up to her name in her first two starts, winning well. She suffered her first defeat last time out when up at this class and distance for the first time, when she had problems in the early stages and never played a role. She draws a much better gate today and can be given another chance. (7) MOST SPEED and (4) WHITE QUEEN others who can trouble the scorers on their day.
|Selections||(1) Choegang Queen (6) Miracle Daughter (2) Race Winner (7) Most Speed|
|Next Best||4, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 10: Class 3 (1800M) Special Weight B / KRW 75 Million
(4) YONGAM BOSS enters off three consecutive 2nd place finishes, most recently at this class and distance on February 5th when racing handy throughout. He comes up 3kg in the weights but has carried significantly more in the past and he should have too much here. With any luck, the saga of Park Tae-jong’s 2,200th career winner will be over by this part of the weekend, and he will have sailed through that milestone at least. If not, then he has a fair chance on (9) JOEUN GWANGYE. He won a valuable race on December 18th over 1700M which got him promoted to this class before running 4th behind Yongam Boss at 1800M on February 5th. He likes to come from off the pace so the wide draw shouldn’t be a problem and he should go close. (7) A. P. PATEK mixes his form but comes in off a solid class and distance 4th on February 4th and a similar run will put him in the mix here. (3) WONDERFUL DEVIL and (2) YAHO GOLDEN CAT among others in the hunt.
|Selections||(4) Yongam Boss (9) Joeun Gwangye (7) A. P. Patek (3) Wonderful Devil|
|Next Best||2, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5, 9|
Seoul Race 11: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(3) RAON THE SPURT was favourite for the Listed Segye Ilbo Trophy over 1200M on January 29th but while she led, she ultimately faded at the business end of the race on a day that was not kind to front-runners. She was runner up in the Jeju Governor’s Cup last term to Wish Me over this distance in a super-fast time. She carries a light weight, should be on pace again and this time can win. That will mean overturning the form on (11) WOW WOW, who powered through late and wide to win that Segye Ilbo at odds of nearly 50/1. He will be given much more respect today and another strong performance is possible. (7) BLACK MUSK and his big rating puts all but one of his rivals out of the handicap. Extremely versatile, he returned from five months out to lead all the way over 2000M on January 28th, but he is a proficient sprinter as well – he has beaten Raon The Fighter over six-furlongs – and although he has plenty on his back, his class means he shouldn’t be ruled out. (5) COBRA BALL and (6) COMPLETE VALUE others to keep safe.
|Selections||(3) Raon The Spurt (11) Wow Wow (7) Black Musk (5) Cobra Ball|
|Next Best||6, 9|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 10|