Saturday’s racing is at Seoul with 11 races from 10:40 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Special Weight A / KRW 40 Million
(10) LEGAL HIGH is the most experienced of these with five starts behind her and she looks to be working towards a win. Her last outing was her best when a close 2nd over 1300M having been handy throughout. The draw is a touch wide, but she may just prove too good. (4) THUNDER BLUE raced once last summer without distinction, but looked much better when reappearing six months later on January 15th when he was handy throughout and came home 2nd over this distance. He should have come on for that run and is firmly in this. (12) MR QUALITY led for much of his debut race on January 14th, ultimately having to settle for 2nd place. He is done no favours by the draw here but with a touch of luck at the start should be in it a long way again. (3) ZEROBAEKFOUR improved considerably last time out and along with (9) FLY DAY is another worth thought.
|Selections||(10) Legal High (4) Thunder Blue (12) Mr Quality (3) Zerobaekfour|
|Next Best||9, 2|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Special Weight A / KRW 40 million
Three-year-old maiden fillies. A few of them come in looking ready to win but (1) DONGHAENG FIRST gets the decision. Having run 4th on debut over 1000M she stepped up to this distance on January 15th and ran 3rd, having sat handy throughout. The time was quicker than any of the others have achieved at this distance and she draws very nicely in the inside gate. (3) NAOL HAENGBOK has a 2nd and a 4th from her two appearances, both times having raced on the pace. She draws much better than she did last time and can be a danger here. (11) CUPID CHAMP overcame a similarly wide gate to run 3rd over 1300M on January 8th. She’s raced well on all three occasions so far and with any top-three finish meaning she will be in class 5 next time, it’s not impossible that she could bow out of the bottom level with a win. Those three look the clear best but the two debut-makers, (8) GEUMSEONG REVERE and (7) BAEKPYO both hinted at ability when trialling together on January 13th and bold showings are possible.
|Selections||(1) Donghaeng First (3) Naol Haengbok (11) Cupid Champ (8) Geumseong Revere|
|Next Best||7, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 3: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(2) NAOL GONI registered his maiden win at start number three over 1300M on January 14th, making all. It was not a surprise, based on her his previous two outings and while he is up in class here, he comes down in the weights, draws very nicely, and has every chance of leading all the way again. Slightly more unexpected was (6) GANGHAN QUEEN getting her maiden victory on January 7th, she too leading all the way. She is a front-runner and carries a very light weight here and could measure up at a probable each-way price. (8) DOLBAE has plenty of experience at this level and while she can mix her form, she enters off a strong 2nd place at class and distance a month ago when settling midfield and running on. She is up in the weights but is in the frame. (5) CLAIR BEST and (4) ALL FOR YOUR DREAM are others who may enter the calculations.
|Selections||(2) Naol Goni (6) Ganghan Queen (8) Dolbae (5) Clair Best|
|Next Best||4, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Fillies and mares only here and for once, (7) THE FAVORITE will be exactly that. And a warm one too having beaten a few of these on her way to 2nd place in a very similar race over 1300M on January 29th when settling in midfield and running on strongly. The additional half-furlong can be in her favour and at start fourteen, she can finally make the breakthrough. Should she find one too quick again, it could be (3) QUEEN OF BEST. She does know how to win, having done it on three occasions and enters off a useful class and distance 4th on January 7th when she came from off the pace. An apprentice claim takes her weight down and she can be considered. (1) GREEN FEELSTAR was one of those behind The Favorite last month when going right back and running on too late. Coming back up to 1400M may suit. (12) V QUEEN and (8) TROT QUEEN among the minor money hopes.
|Selections||(7) The Favorite (3) Queen Of Best (1) Green Feelstar (12) V Queen|
|Next Best||8, 4|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 5: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(4) GIPPEUM HWANHO took a very narrow win over 1200M at class 5 level on January 15th. It was his maiden score but it came after three consecutive runner-up finishes and while he is up in class here, he comes down significantly in the weights he draws well, and he can win again. (11) GANA FASHION is the principal danger. She won at class and distance in December before dropping back to 1200M and finishing 5th of twelve on January 14th. She carries 3kg more than when she won but the wide draw shouldn’t be problematic and she has a chance. (12) K N SKETCH has run consistently good times at this distance and also holds a win at it. He comes up 2kg from his latest but is another who won’t be perturbed by the wide gate and can be working home well. (5) WOLF PLAY and (10) BODY STAR among other placing chances.
|Selections||(4) Gippeum Hwanho (11) Gana Fashion (12) K N Sketch (5) Wolf Play|
|Next Best||10, 2|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 7, 11|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(9) GIANT KILLING registered his third career win on January 14th settling midfield and finishing strongly over this class and distance. He comes up a full 3.5kg in the weights as a result, but he is favoured to strike again here. The logical second pick is (4) IRON MUSKET. It’s been a while since the most recent of her three wins but her recent form reads well and from a nice draw, she can sit just behind the early speed and challenge late under a light weight. (1) RAON THE TIGER comes back in trip and should be better for it. He has run good times at this distance and David Breux climbing aboard is in his favour. (10) GOLD POWER and (5) GREEN JILJU are others who can enter at least the placing calculations.
|Selections||(9) Giant Killing (4) Iron Musket (1) Raon The Tiger (10) Gold Power|
|Next Best||5, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 9, 11|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1800M) Special Weight B / KRW 60 Million
(4) SAENAE TOWN won the Listed NACF Chairman’s Trophy last November before closing out his juvenile campaign as a beaten favourite behind Gana Fashion over 1400M in early December. He has had a couple of months off since then and while he makes the big step up to two-turns, his races so far have suggested that the longer distances can suit and he can make a statement on the Classic trail here. (12) ACHIM GISANG won four of six before injury kept her off the track for fifteen months. She has run well in four starts since returning last November, fishing no worse than 4th, and she too comes up to this distance for the first time with decent claims. (1) KING SIMBA flew home wide from off the pace to win on the line over 1700M at class 5 level on January 29th. He comes up in class here but down in the weights and he can measure up. (10) ONE PUTT and (9) CHEON GUN others in the hunt.
|Selections||(4) Saenae Town (12) Achim Gisang (1) King Simba (10) One Putt|
|Next Best||9, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4, 12|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Tricky race. (7) HIGH RUNNER comes up to this trip for the first time having demonstrated good form up to 1400M. She has proved versatile in her running style and under a light weight and with Moon Se-young aboard, today could be her day. (5) DAESARI is already a class and distance winner having prevailed in a similar race back in December before running fairly for 3rd and 5th in two tries around two turns. While he carries 3kg more than when he won, an apprentice takes the edge off the weight today and from a good draw, he looks firmly in this. (1) TIZ BLACK comes in off a strong 4th place at class and distance on January 15th when he led for most of the way. He comes down slightly in the weights, draws very nicely on the inside and third-up this preparation, he may be peaking fitness wise. The up in class pair of (6) SURE WIN and (9) E-DANAEUN among others to take note of.
|Selections||(7) High Runner (5) Daesari (1) Tiz Black (6) Sure Win|
|Next Best||9, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(3) WONDERFUL KITTY is the one to beat here. She may only have won twice in thirteen starts but she has been a model of consistency with eleven top-three finishes including an excellent 3rd in the in the Jeju Governor’s Cup behind only Wish Me and Raon First. She carries a light weight, she draws a good gate, and while this is her first try around two turns, she may take some beating. Also very consistent is (2) QUICKLY RUN, who has finished in the top-three in all seven of her races so far. She comes up in class and in distance here following an on pace 2nd over a mile on January 7th but comes down a full 5kg in the weights and she can be dangerous here. (6) TROTTING RILEY has underwhelmed in his latest two but has placed at this class. An apprentice takes his weight down here and he can be given another chance. (7) YEOLRIN MUN and (5) WINNER BLUE others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(3) Wonderful Kitty (2) Quickly Run (6) Trotting Riley (7) Yeolrin Mun|
|Next Best||5, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6, 11|
Seoul Race 10: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
Competitive race. (1) MONSTER K had a poor day at the office over 1200M on Christmas Eve, sitting handy but weakening. He has run some fast times over this trip and two starts back ran 2nd at this class over a mile. He carries his fair share of weight today but from the inside gate can be on pace and return to winning ways. (5) LORD BAN has similarly run fast times at the trip including a very fast one alongside plenty of these on January 15th when the track was very wet and lightning quick. He should be on the speed here and can be in this a long way. (2) PARK WIN got a long way back in that January 15th race and such were the conditions, had little opportunity to make ground. He draws better today and can be given another chance. (6) NIMUI HYANGGI was the longest shot on the board in that January 15th race but defied that and a wide draw to run a super 2nd. He warrants more respect here. (9) MORNING HILL another place chance.
|Selections||(1) Monster K (5) Lord Ban (2) Park Win (6) Nimui Hyanggi|
|Next Best||9, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 9|
Seoul Race 11: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
Another wide-open race to finish with. (9) COSMO just about gets the nod given her consistency that has seen her win four from nine and never finish outside the top-five. She tackles class 2 for the first time but she carries a light weight and she can be qual to the challenge. (10) SEUNGBUSA hasn’t quite managed to live up to his early promise but there is no doubting his talent and he finds himself in against softer company than he has faced of late. Improvement is possible. (7) BYEOLNARA SINSA and (5) CLEANUP SHINE will both need a line drawn through their latest in quick and wet conditions on January 15th. Both are capable of better than that cand can be considered here. (6) RAON PINK is the wildcard. She returns after three months out and looked well in a January trial. Her 2022 was mostly a write-off due to injury but at anything like her best she is in this.
|Selections||(9) Cosmo (10) Seungbusa (7) Byeolnara Sinsa (5) Cleanup Shine|
|Next Best||6, 3|
|Fast Start||5, 8, 9, 10|