Sunday racing is at Seoul (11 races from 10:40 to 18:00) and at Busan (6 races from 11:05 to 15:40). A reminder there is no racing next weekend due to the Lunar New Year holiday so it is big fields all around. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maiden fillies in the opener. (1) TIZ INDY has run twice for 2nd and 4th over 1000M both in good times. She comes up in trip for the first time but draws very nicely and she has every chance. (5) SAENAE VIVA debuted without distinction in August but looked a much better proposition when returning on December 3rd and running 3rd when handy throughout. She can get closer today and that can mean overturning the form on (11) JEONGSANG LUCKY. The latter overcame the same wide draw to run 2nd in that December 3rd race and while she may need a touch of luck again, she shouldn’t be ruled out. Also done no favours by the draw is (12) DASI TAEEONADO. She has a 2nd place to her name over 1000M and ran on pleasingly enough for 5th last time out at 1200M. (2) SEMYEONG LADY is among others with the potential to improve.
|Selections||(1) Tiz Indy (5) Saenae Viva (11) Jeongsang Lucky (12) Dasi Taeeonado|
|Next Best||2, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 6|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old filly maidens. The most experienced in the race is (10) DOCTOR SHARK and she’s the one that gets the pick. She secured back-to-back 3rd place finishes over 1000M and 1200M in October and November before running 5th over 1400M when drawn in the widest gate last time out on December 16th. The draw isn’t kind here either, but she may have too much. (12) WONDERFUL PHONE came from off the pace to run 2nd behind a good winner on debut on December 23rd. The way she finished off that day suggests the additional trip can suit and she will probably start as favourite. (7) SKY MOUNTAIN was an on-pace 4th on debut on December 9th over 1000M. She should have derived benefit from that experience and can be there or thereabouts today. (6) STREET ROCK didn’t do much on debut but comes in here under a very light weight and can improve. It’s a similar story with (1) TOO CUTE GIRL, who draws much better than on debut.
|Selections||(10) Doctor Shark (12) Wonderful Phone (7) Sky Mountain (6) Street Rock|
|Next Best||1, 11|
|Fast Start||7, 8, 10, 11|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens with six of the twelve racing for the very first time. We’ll side with experience and (2) GEOMIBULU. After winning a November trial, she was installed as favourite for her debut appearance over 1000M on December 11th when she sat midfield in a small field and ran on for 2nd place. She was well beaten by a good winner, but the run was encouraging enough for her to warrant another chance on top here. Among the first timers (11) SAEBYEOK ANGAE could be the best. She improved significantly in her second trial, running on well and can be set for a bold showing first up. (7) DONGHAENG FIRST debuted promisingly enough on December 17th running 4th over 1000M. She should have derived benefit from that and build on it here. Both (3) NAVY CHROME and (6) THUNDER BLUE return to action for the first time since July. Both trialled well and can be considered first-up.
|Selections||(2) Geomibulu (11) Saebyeok Angae (7) Donghaeng First (3) Navy Chrome|
|Next Best||6, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 7, 9|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(7) PHANTOM ACE is yet to win in eleven attempts but has been getting closer in recent outings with a 2nd and a 3rd in his latest two, both at this distance. With an apprentice claiming 4kg he is very nicely weighted here, and it could be his day. (2) MULTI HIT comes in off a 4th place at start number two at this distance on December 11th when handy throughout. He draws well again and can be dangerous here. (1) YEONGGWANGUITUHON has run fairly in all three appearances to date including a spin around in the Listed Gimhae Mayor’s Trophy. From a great draw, he should be right in this. (5) CHEERFUL LIFE can build on his debut5th place over 1000M when breaking fairly before going right back and running on. He draws better today and should be better for the run. (8) GLOBAL SKY among others with the potential to improve.
|Selections||(7) Phantom Ace (2) Multi Hit (1) Yeonggwanguituhon (5) Cheerful Life|
|Next Best||8, 11|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 8, 12|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Three-year-old filly maidens. It’s fair to say that (12) CHEONJON CHAT has mixed her form across six starts so far but she gets the nod here based on her last start 2nd place over this distance on December 18th when she was on pace and finished in a time quicker than any of the others have managed for the distance. She draws wide but with a touch of luck at the start, she’ll be the one to beat. (6) RAON CITY GIRL comes up in trip for the first time. She too has mixed her form, but she did post a very quick time over 1000M when 3rd in November. She should be on pace here and the additional furlong can suit. (4) TANSAN comes in after a best finish to date of 3rd place in that December 18th race when settling slightly worse than midfield and finishing well. She has five-lengths to make up on Cheonjon Chat but can get closer with a much better draw. (2) BLUE ARCH and (5) SEOULEUL NALDA among others in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(12) Cheonjon Chat (6) Raon City Girl (4) Tansan (2) Blue Arch|
|Next Best||5, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 7, 12|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(11) FINAL SEVEN overcame gate ten to get on pace and run 2md behind Young Boss on his first try at this class over 1400M on December 16th. He steps up to a mile for the first time today but looks a progressive type with just four starts behind him and an apprentice jockey aboard brings his weight right down. (8) CHANGCHANG DAERO also steps up to a mile for the first time. He has only raced four times but has a smart win over 1200M as well as a last start 3rd at this class over 1400M to his name. He looks to have scope for more. (9) GREEN PAPAGO has beaten a few of these in her latest appearances, all at a mile. The wide draw shouldn’t be a problem and she can be a big factor here. (3) QUEEN OF SPIRIT, who beat Changchang Daero at 1400M last time out, and (7) QUEEN STAR among plenty of others capable of placing.
|Selections||(11) Final Seven (8) Changchang Daero (9) Green Papago (3) Queen Of Spirit|
|Next Best||7, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 8, 10, 11|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
There isn’t much positive form here. (4) SUBAL DORIANG come sin off a 2nd place over this distance on December 17th when handy throughout. It continued a pattern of him getting closer and is enough to put him on top here. (12) MY GONGJU was touch disappointing when stepped up to 1700M last time and well backed. Drawn wide he was unable to find a position on the short run to the first turn and scarcely figured. Go on his previous start at this trip though and he is firmly in this. (7) DESIRE TO WIN came home in 4th place behind Subal Doriang in that December 17th race. He has steadily improved across four starts so far and if he can maintain that momentum, can be in the mix here. (2) GHOST CHARM and (8) EFFEL TAP among others in the hunt.
|Selections||(4) Subal Doriang (12) My Gongju (7) Desire To Win (2) Ghost Charm|
|Next Best||8, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 7, 8|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(9) GRAPHENE KING has mixed his form across seven outings so far, but both his wins have come at this distance, and he comes in off a smart class and distance 2nd place on November 11th when leading for much of the way. He is in fresh from nine weeks off and under an apprentice claim can lead and be in this a long way. (5) K.AI has finished no worse than 3rd in any of his five previous outings. His win came at this distance when making all two starts back and he enters here off a 3rd place at 1300M. He is up in class today, but he continues to be under a light weight, and he can measure up. (8) HANEUL JILJU beat several of today’s rivals on her way to 2nd place in an all-filly race at class and distance eon December 11th. She is another who will be on pace and carries a very light weight. (2) TRIPLE JILJU can have a line drawn through his latest at a mile and be given another chance here. (4) ILNYEOM CHEONHA another in the hunt although up in weight.
|Selections||(9) Graphene King (5) K.Ai (8) Haneul Jilju (2) Triple Jilju|
|Next Best||4, 3|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 5: Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
A very competitive race. We’ll take a chance on (1) DANGCHAN DAEBO, who veritably flew home from off the pace on debut over 1200M on December 4th. He is up in class and up in distance but draws very nicely for Yoo Seung-wan to pick his spot and he can win again. (3) YOUNGYOUNG SOCKS won when on pace over 1000M in November before running 2nd from a long way back at 1200M when drawn wide on December 17th. She will be running on strong again here and can be a danger. (4) GEUMBITMA comes up in class having secured his maiden win at start number five over 1200M. From a better draw today, he can be on pace and in this a long way. (10) LUCKY POWER, like Geumbitma, was an also-ran in the Munhwa Ilbo Trophy. He weakened over a mile in a valuable race on December 18th but the 1400M today can suit. (7) G MOTION, another up in class following a maiden score, is another with solid claims in a race of many chances.
|Selections||(1) Dangchan Daebo (3) Youngyoung Socks (4) Geumbitma (10) Lucky Power|
|Next Best||7, 8|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 6, 10|
Busan Race 5: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
Competitive race with lots entering with recent form reading well. (8) FLYING THE CHAMP beat four of these on his way to victory ay class and distance on December 18th. He comes up 2kg in the weights as a result but draws the same gate and he has every chance of winning again. (11) GREAT CAPTAIN is up in class after a good win over a mile on December 4th when on pace. He tackles two turns for the first time as well but has also managed to run well from behind so the wide draw may not be too much of a problem. (3) CLEAN SHOT ran 3rd behind Flying The Champ on December 18th. With an apprentice claim today, he meets Flying The Champ 4kg better off and it could make all the difference. (5) YEONGCHEON SOLEMIO and (9) WARRIOR CLASS among plenty of others in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(8) Flying The Champ (11) Great Captain (3) Clean Shot (5) Yeongcheon Solemio|
|Next Best||9, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 9, 12|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(8) YONGHOJIMA is one of only three in the race who has previous experience of a mile when he was a close 4th in November. He followed that up with a runner-up finish over 1700M on December 18th. Yet to win, he has finished 2nd on no fewer than six occasions and today could be his day. (2) HANGANG DOLPUNG got his maiden win over 1200M two starts back and was then a front-running 3rd over 1400M on his first try at this level on December 17th. He steps up to a mile for the first time and while he does come up in the weights, he draws very nicely and has solid claims. (10) RULES CLASS is another prolific minor money winner. He loves to come from off the pace so he can settle back and run on from what would for plenty of horses be a bad draw. (4) GIMCHEON YEONGUNG and the up in class (7) GANGNYEOKHANJIGEUM are among others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(8) Yonghojima (2) Hangang Dolpung (10) Rules Class (4) Gimcheon Yeongung|
|Next Best||7, 1|
|Fast Start||6, 7, 8, 9|
Busan Race 6: Class 1 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(12) BARBARIAN returns to Busan after a creditable 7th of sixteen in the Grand Prix Stakes over 2300M at Seoul in December. He draws the widest gate but with just 51.5kg on his back, he has every chance of returning to winning ways today. (11) BEOLMAUI STAR enters in super form with back-to-back wins in very fast times over 1200M and 1400M from his latest two. He was found wanting in his only previous try at this distance – last year’s KRA Cup Mile – but he could be ready for another crack. (8) DAEMANGUI GIL is a multiple class and distance winner and ran 3rd to Eoma Eoma in the Kookje Shinmun Trophy last October. He beat four of these on his way to 2nd place over 1200M on December 11th and while he is up slightly in weight from that, the seven furlongs is more his go and he has a big chance. (6) YES PERFECT and (10) ONNURI JILJU among others in the frame.
|Selections||(12) Barbarian (11) Beolmaui Star (8) Daemangui Gil (6) Yes Perfect|
|Next Best||10, 7|
|Fast Start||5, 9, 10, 11|
Seoul Race 7: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(8) J MOTION was a winner on debut over 1200M on December 10th when handy throughout and running on well. He comes up in class and slightly in distance today but he looks the one to beat again. (3) E-DANAEUN was an all the way winner at start number two over 1000M on December 12th before overcoming a wide draw to sit back and run on for 3rd place on his first try at this class over 1200M on December 18th. He looks nicely in here to sit just behind the speed and can finish strongly. (10) RAON THE HIGHMAN has been a well-beaten favourite in both his latest two starts but does have ability and is worth another chance for at least a place here. (4) WOLF PLAY and the up in weight last start class and distance winner (7) WONPYEONG QUEEN are among plenty of others with a chance.
|Selections||(8) J Motion (3) E-Danaeun (10) Raon The Highman (4) Wolf Play|
|Next Best||7, 12|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 8: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(3) GIPPEUM HWANHO comes in off three consecutive runner-up finishes, most recently at this class over 1300M on December 11th when leading most of the way around. He comes up 3kg in the weights but that’s balanced slightly by the drop back in trip and the great draw. He should be on pace again and today can be his day. (10) BEAT UP was a winner at this distance at class 6 level two starts back before settling midfield and running on for 3rd on his first try at this class on December 3rd. The wide draw shouldn’t be an issue and he can be dangerous again. (2) MAPARAM was a class and distance winner two starts back, making all, before running 4th when trying to do similar on December 10th. From a good gate she’ll be on pace and in this a long way. (9) WONPYEONG GWANGYA and (8) RAON AMERICAN are among others who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(3) Gippeum Hwanho (10) Beat Up (2) Maparam (9) Wonpyeong Gwangya|
|Next Best||8, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 7|
Seoul Race 9: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(12) NAOL SNIPER won three races in a row between last August and October, the most recent of those being at this class over 1400M. He then ran 4th when drawn in the widest gate in the Breeders’ Cup champion juvenile race again at 1400M on December 4th. He draws that same gate again but steps up to two turns for the first time and despite additional weight, it may suit. The logical main danger is (5) SAENAE TOWN. He won the Listed NACF Chairman’s Trophy for juveniles last November before running a slightly disappointing 5th when stepped up to 1400M in December. He comes up further in trip today but, along with Naol Sniper, remains one of the most promising three-year-olds at Seoul and can make a good account of himself today. (3) KWAEHYANG was 4th in the NACF Chairman’s Trophy and then 5th to Naol Sniper’s 4th in the Breeders’ Cup. He’ll surely be close again here. (4) MUNHAK TAPIT and (11) VIKING HEART others in the hunt.
|Selections||(12) Naol Sniper (5) Saenae Town (3) Kwaehyang (4) Munhak Tapit|
|Next Best||11, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 12|
Seoul Race 10: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
After an excellent win at class and distance at the end of November, (5) DOUBLE EDGE ran 2nd when favourite, again at 1800M on December 18th. He draws a much better gate today and is giving away less weight to the horse who beat him last time and he can overturn the form. That horse who beat Double Edge on December 18th is (1) WONPYEONG COD, who settled back from gate two and then ran on strongly in the home straight. He only gets 1kg instead of 3kg from Double Edge this time but he should prove the testing material once more. (6) LUCKY WORLD was 3rd in that December 18th race, three-lengths behind Double Edge. He can mix his form but, in this company, looks set to go close again. (11) SKY DOLPUNG and (4) JOEUN GWANGYE are others who can be considered.
|Selections||(5) Double Edge (1) Wonpyeong Cod (6) Lucky World (11) Sky Dolpung|
|Next Best||4, 3|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 7, 12|
Seoul Race 11: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(1) VICS GO has won his latest two in fine style and five from eleven in total. His latest score was at this class over a mile on December 3rd and he is a c lass 3 winner over this distance. He does come up in the weights but that is balanced by a very nice draw and he may take some beating again. (7) DAEMUL is up in class having won his latest two, most recently at this distance on December 11th. He is nicely weighted and can settle behind the early speed here and run on. (8) PARK WIN beat several of these on his way to 2nd place at class and distance on December 10th. He comes up 2kg in the weights but should be in the mix again. (2) CHOEGO RACE and (12) MOONHAK SHEBA, 3rd in that December 10th race, among plenty of others with at least minor money hopes.
|Selections||(1) Vics Go (7) Daemul (8) Park Win (2) Choego Race|
|Next Best||12, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 12|