The title of Champion Juvenile will be decided on Sunday as a full field of sixteen two-year-olds go to post for the Breeders Cup (1200M KOR-G2) at Busan. The big race is race 6 on a 6-race card at Busan from 12:15 to 16:40. See here for a full preview of the big race. There is also an 11-race meeting at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00. Morfhis goes in the feature although the grand galloper faces a weighty task in a competitive class 1 finale. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens open proceedings with five of the twelve racing for the first time. We’ll side with experience though and (8) SAENAE KHAN, who ran an on-pace 2nd on debut over this distance on October 15th stopping the clock in a fast time. He should have come on for that run and can go one better here. Of the debut-makers, (1) CANDY GLOW looks to be the pick. She ran 3rd in her trial in a fair time all the way back in August. She draws very well here and Moon Se-young – who is in a bit of rut by his standards – being aboard is sure to guarantee her plenty of attention. (4) GEUMSEONG SIDAE has finished 4th in both his starts so far, both at 1000M and both in good times. A repeat will see him in the finish again today. (7) FINAL CHUKJE and (11) RAON AIR FORCE are other potential improvers.
|Selections||(8) Saenae Khan (1) Candy Glow (4) Geumseong Sidae (7) Final Chukje|
|Next Best||11, 2|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 8, 11|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
More juvenile maidens, this time with seven of the twelve racing for the first time. (3) NAEGILUI QUEEN ran 4th on debut over this distance in a fast time on October 30th, racing on pace throughout. She draws very nicely to lead again and can go all the way. (9) TIZ INDY was 2nd on debut on October 23rd in the same time as Naegilui Queen achieved. She has a slightly harder ask here from the wide draw, but she looks set to be the main danger. Of the debutants, (5) DREAM PLAY looks the pick. He was on pace in his trial, crossing the line a very close 2nd in a fair time. If he brings that form to the races, he can be competitive. (1) GOLD MIGHTY draws a much better gate than he did when 6th on debut and improvement can be expected. (8) SEONGEUN CROWN another who could make progress.
|Selections||(3) Naegilui Queen (9) Tiz Indy (5) Dream Play (1) Gold Mighty|
|Next Best||8, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 9|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Another set of juvenile maidens but with only one first-timer starter. (7) HAYAN WANGJA was a well beaten runner-up behind Farciarz at start number two on November 5th when breaking well before being shuffled back and then running on strongly. The same apprentice jockey keeps his weight nice and low here and he can go one better, facing as he does nothing like that day’s winner this time. (1) NAOL TANK was a solid 4th on debut at 1000M on November 6th, settling back and finishing off well at odds in excess of 130/1. He comes into a better gate today and can be a danger. The solitary debut-maker has Moon up so will have backers. (4) DANGCHAN DAEBO trialled up fairly in November having been very slowly away but finishing off well and the 1200M may suit first-up. (11) MAGUMA was an improved 5th at start number two and along with (10) JARITHAN JAYU, is one who could potentially improve.
|Selections||(7) Hayan Wangja (1) Naol Tank (4) Dangchan Daebo (11) Maguma|
|Next Best||10, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 7, 9|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Three standouts here. (1) NICHOLAS G. ran a good 2nd on debut before being sent off as favourite for his second start over this distance on October 28th. He was on pace that day, ultimately coming home in 3rd place and third-up today and from a good gate, he can be ready to win. (6) YEONGGWANGUI ACE won a trial before beating a couple of these on his way to 2nd place in debut in a fast time over 1000M on October 28th with the highly thought-of Seobu Bigstep the winner. He should have derived benefit from that run and with some natural improvement, can be a danger here. (8) RAON THE HARLEY debuted at this distance on November 5th, stalking the leader and running on for 2nd in a good time. He too should have come on for the run and can be a factor. (10) SKY PUNCH and debut-maker (5) NAMYANG BOLT are others to keep safe.
|Selections||(1) Nicholas G. (6) Yeonggwangui Ace (8) Raon The Harley (10) Sky Punch|
|Next Best||5, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 9|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
It’s hard to look too far past (1) ARGO TAP. He has been consistent across four starts so far, with his best being a 3rd place over 1000M at start number two back in July. He has had two months off since his latest on-pace showing over this distance, he draws well today and Moon Se-young rides. (9) TANGJA has the fastest time for the distance among these. Despite the wide draw, he can get on pace and should be in this a long way. (2) GOLDEN LUCKY has shown improvement across three starts so far and comes in off a 3rd place finish over this distance on November 5th when settling midfield. She is nicely drawn here and shapes as a chance. (7) TWO ACE scored his best finish to date when 2nd over this distance on November 6th. He comes up a full 4kg in the weights without an apprentice claim, but a repeat isn’t impossible. (5) GRACE LEE another in the placing frame.
|Selections||(1) Argo Tap (9) Tangja (2) Golden Lucky (7) Two Ace|
|Next Best||5, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 9|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
It’s not often we do this, but we’ll take a chance on the solitary debut-maker here. (6) WONDERFUL CHARMER is out of a good race mare and trialled well at the end of October crossing the line an unhurried 2nd. This is not the toughest of races to debut in and a winning start is possible. (11) SPEED MAST has a best of 2nd from thirteen outings, recorded three starts back over 1300M. The draw does him no favours here as he goes best when on pace, but he shouldn’t be too far away. (2) NALA has also managed a runner-up finish, in her case two outings ago over 1000M. She draws nicely here, doesn’t carry much weight, and has claims. (3) AGAIN HELEN and (9) PLAY THE INDY other possible in a race without much depth.
|Selections||(6) Wonderful Charmer (11) Speed Mast (2) Nala (3) Again Helen|
|Next Best||9, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 9, 8, 11|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Fillies and mares only here. (8) SHINE ON ME ran out a good winner on debut over 1000M on October 16th when handy to the speed throughout. She comes up in class and in distance here, but neither should be insurmountable, and she can maintain her 100% record. (1) INNER PEACE comes in having won at class and distance on October 30th when on pace. She comes up a full 4.5kg in the weights but that’s balanced somewhat by an excellent draw. She has four to-three finishes from six starts and should be there or thereabouts again. (7) DUSON CLASSIC worked hard to get to a forward position from a wide gate before weakening in the closing stages over 1300M on November 6th. The slight drop in trip and the better draw should be more in her favour here. (3) MYEONGJIN CANDY and (11) TROT QUEEN others with minor money hopes.
|Selections||(8) Shine On Me (1) Inner Peace (7) Duson Classic (3) Myeongjin Candy|
|Next Best||11, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 7, 9|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(8) I LOVE HANSEN was a good winner over 1200M at class 6 level in September before running on pace but weakening for 5th place on his first try at class and distance on October 7th. He has since been back to trial, which he won making all in a fast time, and he can be given another chance to come out on top today. That will mean overturning the form on (11) GREAT GO, who ran 3rd in that October 7th race. She has since run 4th over 1300M and while she draws wide, she carries a very light weight and can be a danger. (5) OMEGA GIRL remains winless after thirty-one attempts but has ten top-four finishes, including a last start 3rd at this class over 1300M. She can settle back and run on here. (6) CHOEGANG DUDEURIM and (10) THUNDER CROWN are among others firmly in the placing hunt.
|Selections||(8) I Love Hansen (11) Great Go (5) Omega Girl (6) Choegang Dudeurim|
|Next Best||10, 1|
|Fast Start||5, 8, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(10) FARCIARZ finished well back in the Munhwa Ilbo Trophy at start number two in October but returned to regular company to fairly bolt up over 1200M on November 5th. He comes up in class and slightly in trip as well as drawing a touch wide, but if he runs anything close to that last start effort, he wins again. (4) DAECHEON BEAUTY got promoted to this class without a win but ran well on his first try at it when coming from well off the pace to run 4th over 1400M at the end of October. It has been his tendency to leave himself a little too much to do but he should be too good for most of these. (1) CLAIR BEST returns to action for the first time since July. His solitary victory came over this distance at class 6 level and he looked well in a November trial. (11) CHEOLLICHONG and (7) GEONGONILCHEOK are others who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(10) Farciarz (4) Daecheon Beauty (1) Clair Best (11) Cheollichong|
|Next Best||7, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 7, 11|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
A small but competitive field here. (5) SEOBU TEUKGEUP enters having won well at this class over 1400M on November 4th when on pace throughout. She comes up 3kg in the weights and this is her first try at a mile, but she has every chance of winning again. (4) GREAT CAPTAIN came from off the pace to run 3rd on his first attempt at this class over the 1400M on October 28th. He too takes his chance at this distance for the first time, but his running style suggests that it can suit, and he will be a big danger here. (3) WINNER’S TIME was 6th behind Great Captain in that October 28th race. He has previously run well at this trip and looks a placing chance here. (7) GEUMA INFINITE has been back to trial since his most recent run in September. He is a winner at this distance and won his November heat. (8) DAEHO PYEONGJEONG perhaps the best of the rest.
|Selections||(5) Seobu Teukgeup (4) Great Captain (3) Winner’s Time (7) Geuma Infinite|
|Next Best||8, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 7: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(3) DRAGON STAR comes up in class and slightly in distance after registering his maiden win on his fourth start on November 5th at 1200M when settling midfield and running on. In this small field and from a good draw, he may well be a little closer to the pace and he can win again. (6) V QUEEN showed a big uptick in form when 3rd over 1300M at this class on November 13th. She comes in under the same light weight today and can run on strong once more. (7) YEONGUNG DAEMA enters off a runner-up finish at class and distance on November 13th when settling back and running on. He comes up 2kg for his troubles but has the fastest time among these for the distance and should be close again. (9) EUNHYE PADO and (5) GEUMA CHIC are others who should be in the hunt.
|Selections||(3) Dragon Star (6) V Queen (7) Yeongung Daema (9) Eunhye Pado|
|Next Best||5, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 8|
Busan Race 5: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(6) OREUDA comes in having won his latest three starts at distances between 1200M and 1800M. His most recent was over today’s sprint trip at class 3 level on November 6th when settling midfield and running on in a fast time. He is up in class here, but an apprentice jockey keeps his weight nice and light and four in a row isn’t out of the question. (7) COPY THAT had a hard time against some of the country’s top sprinters in the Kookje Sinmun Trophy over 1400M at the end of October. He returns to more amenable company today and can be a different prospect. (1) WONDERFUL KING enters off a good 2nd place behind Queen Of The World at this class over 1400M on November 11th and from a great draw can go close here. (9) WORLD SOCKS and (2) CHOEGANG SSONSAL among others in the frame.
|Selections||(6) Oreuda (7) Copy That (1) Wonderful King (9) World Socks|
|Next Best||2, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 9, 12|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) CHOEGO BLACK was a winner over 1300M at class 5 level three starts back and most recently overcame gate ten to run 4th over 1400M at this class. He tackles the mile for the first time, draws beautifully, and looks set to get back to winning ways. (6) STAR BLADE returned to action from four months off on November 6th and rana fair 5th over the 1800M. He should strip fitter for that run, he comes very slightly down in weight, and he can go close. (5) YAMUJIN JAESU is yet to win in six attempts but has come close a couple of times over he 1400M. He is nicely weighted here and the step up to a mile can suit as he has been finishing off his races very well. (1) ARFONS and (3) SUPER ECTON are among others in the frame.
|Selections||(2) Choego Black (6) Star Blade (5) Yamujin Jaesu (1) Arfons|
|Next Best||3, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 7, 9|
Busan Race 6: Class Open (1400M) Breeders’ Cup (KOR-G2) Juvenile Allowance / KRW 650 Million
After running 3rd on debut, (5) FANTASTIC KINGDOM got his maiden win second-up before going on to win all three of Busan’s lead up races for this, all of them over 1200M. He comes up to 1400M for the first time, but he is very nicely drawn, and he can continue on his merry way in the year’s most valuable race for juveniles. Seoul’s Rookie Stakes was won by (11) GIANT PUNCH. He hasn’t raced since his 3rd place in October’s Munha Ilbo Trophy when hampered at the start but running on well. He has the challenge of a relatively wide barrier, but he looks suited to 1400M. Filly (6) JEULGEOUNYEOJEONG was a winner at this distance in a fast time in class 4 company in September before running a huge race a close 2nd to Fantastic Kingdom in the Gimhae Mayor’s Trophy. She’s never finished worse than 2nd and don’t rule out her turning the tables on the favourite here. (1) SUN DRAGON and (2) LUCKY SUN among plenty others in the hunt in an intriguing affair.
|Selections||(5) Fantastic Kingdom (11) Giant Punch (6) Jeoulgeounyeojeong (1) Sun Dragon|
|Next Best||2, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 14, 16|
Seoul Race 9: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(4) GIANT KILLING comes in following a 4th and two 3rd place finishes in his latest three. He has been running good times at this distance and at shorter and is capable of racing on pace or settling back and running on. He draws well here and is the one to beat. (8) KING ACE races for the first time since January when he was 2nd at class and distance. He didn’t offer too many clues in a somewhat nondescript trial at the end of September, but he is nicely weighted under an apprentice, and he has plenty of ability even if the 1400M might be a bit stiff first-up. (1) BODYGUARD warrants respect following back-to-back runner-up finishes from his latest two appearances, both at class and distance. He draws beautifully here to be on pace or handy and can have a big say. (6) PIEONADA is up in class but down in weight and may have a say, while (10) ICE STAR is another firmly in the frame in a competitive race.
|Selections||(4) Giant Killing (8) King Ace (1) Bodyguard (6) Pieonada|
|Next Best||10, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 10: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(4) ORAE HAMKKEHAJA is a winner of three from seven in total and two from his last three. He has been on pace in every race he has run in so far and that should be no different here. He is up in class here and the weight scale doesn’t do him any real favours, but the draw is good, and his class can see him through. It’s been a while between drinks for (6) HAEDEULMOE but he comes in off a smart runner-up finish over class and distance on November 12th at big odds when he settled midfield and ran on. He’ll warrant a touch more respect today. (10) DREAM FASHION has consistently run solid times at this distance and rarely fails to pick up at least a minor check, He should be there or thereabouts once more. (11) CHEONGSAN GANGHO and (5) SKY DOLPUNG are among others in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(4) Orae Hamkkehaja (6) Haedeulmoe (10) Dream Fashion (11) Cheongsan Gangho|
|Next Best||5, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 11: Class 1 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
A wide-open class 1 to finish with. It might be more out of loyalty than judgement, but we’ll side with the grand galloper (3) MORFHIS. He pulled up short last time behind lots of these, but he won the Group 3 SBS Sports Sprint at this distance as recently as June. He gives weight away to everything, such is his rating, but he draws nicely, and while he will get a bit far back, he won the SBS from this gate. (6) RAON TAP MAN is an on-pace type who is rising in stature. He was a winner at this class over 1400M two starts back and beat a few of these on his way to 2nd last time out on November 6th, also over this distance. Keep safe. (4) EAST JET is a quality fellow who likes to lead and has made his recent starts in Group company (which he has won at). Dropping back to regular class 1 enables him to take advantage of an apprentice claim which when added to the presence of Morfhis enables him to carry 6kg less than he is accustomed to. With the good draw, he can be in this a long way. (8) CUPID GUY and (11) CLEAN UP HAPPY are among plenty of others firmly in the hunt.
|Selections||(3) Morfhis (6) Raon Tap Man (4) East Jet (8) Cupid Guy|
|Next Best||11, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 6, 11|