Sunday’s racing sees 11 races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00 and 6 at Busan from 12:15 to 16:40. Feature races of the day are a pair of Listed Juvenile Trophies, one at each track. See here for a full preview of those two races and read on for the race-by-race:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens to open things with seven of the twelve – coincidentally all drawn from gate six and wider – racing for the first time. We’ll side with experience though and (5) SUPER FINISH, the only one to have raced twice before. He ran 5th of ten on debut before going down a very narrow 2nd in a fast time at start number two on October 8th when handy throughout. He could have too much here. (3) HERO SARANG led for much of the way around on her debut on October 22nd, ultimately running 2nd, She should have come on for that run and can go close again. Among the first timers, (12) LUCKY BOUNCE is likely to get the most attention. He won his trial and while the time wasn’t especially fast, he looked competent enough and Moon Se-young being aboard will tempt some. (4) JEONGWOO FOREVER and (1) FINE CAMP may improve from their debut runs.
|Selections||(5) Super Finish (3) Hero Sarang (12) Lucky Bounce (4) Jeongwoo Forever|
|Next Best||1, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 8|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Another set of juvenile maidens, this time with six of the twelve racing for the first time. (10) INDIANUI BYEOL was well-backed on debut following a trial win and he showed ability, running an on-pace 2nd in a fair time over this distance. He should have come on for the run and while he is drawn a little wider than ideal, but he might be too good here. (2) CATS EYE has also raced twice leading in both and running on well for 3rd in the second of them on October 8th. He is well drawn to lead again and should be in this a long way. (9) DASI TAEEONADO beat three of these in a trial before finishing a creditable 5th of twelve over this distance on debut on October 16th. She can have derived benefit from that experience and can improve today. Among the debut makers, (5) NAOL GONI ran a close 2nd in his trial while (11) ARA DAEJANGGUN is another who could go well first-up.
|Selections||(10) Indianui Byeol (2) Cats Eye (9) Dasi Taeeonado (5) Naol Goni|
|Next Best||11, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 6, 10|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Competitive maiden for fillies only. We’ll take a chance on (10) TOP POSITION, who after eight starts seems to be figuring things out and comes in off a smart 3rd place over this distance on October 16th. She doesn’t need to lead so the wide draw shouldn’t be too much of an issue and today can be her day. (6) BIG SMART has put in three very solid efforts in three starts so far, posting good times at 1000M and at this distance. She has tended to settle midfield, as finished off her races well, and she can be a big danger here. (7) CITY CHARM returned from six months out to run a good 4th over 1300M on October 22nd when handy throughout. She should strip fitter for that experience and can match or better that here. (3) MAGIC MOCCASIN was 4th behind Top Position on October 16th, a race which she led. She draws well to be on pace again and once more should be in the race a long way. (12) P N S HER another in at least the minor money frame.
|Selections||(10) Top Position (6) Big Smart (7) City Charm (3) Magic Moccasin|
|Next Best||12, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 6|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens open proceedings on the south coast with five of the twelve racing for the first time. (3) ROCK AND ROLL is a half-brother to Korean Group race winner Mr. Afleet and he debuts here having run 2nd in a trial to Seungnimagic King, who won on his own debut on Friday (note his time in the trial was 1:02.3; some early editions of the race card may have a different time). He draws well, should be on pace and will be favoured to win. Of the experienced ones, (9) BURUICHUKJE looks the best. Just as she had done in her trial, she came from off the pace to run a close 2nd. She should have come on for the run and the additional furlong can suit. (7) SEONGSIL KING was slow away on debut over 1000M but picked up well to run 4th in a good time. He too may appreciate more distance to play with here. (6) GLOBAL SKY and first-timer starter (5) WITH SUN are others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(3) Rock And Roll (9) Buruichukje (7) Seongsil King (6) Global Sky|
|Next Best||5, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
It’s hard to go far past (1) GOMANARU. After an indifferent debut, he has a 4th, 3rd and 2nd from three subsequent outings at distances up to 1400M, racing both on the pace and coming from midfield. He draws well here and can go one better. (6) BURUI SINHWA also looks ready to win. He comes in off an on-pace 2nd over 1200M on October 23rd and while he won’t necessarily lead in this company, he can settle close to the speed and run on. The solitary first time starter (4) CAMINO probably couldn’t have picked a softer race to debut in. He won an October trial exiting from the widest gate to sit midfield and then run on. The time wasn’t fast, but he won’t need to improve much on that to be competitive here. (7) EUREKA beat a couple of these on his way to 4th place last time out, a position he has finished in five of eight outings and may well do so again. (2) BEST PLAN another with placing claims.
|Selections||(1) Gomanaru (6) Burui Sinhwa (4) Camino (7) Eureka|
|Next Best||2, 9|
|Fast Start||5, 8, 9, 10|
Busan Race 2: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(2) MY STAR was a winner at this class over 1300M two starts back before running 4th when drawn in gate nine on her return on October 16th. She comes into a better gate here, continues under a light weight, and she has as good a chance as any. (9) THUNDER FURY is up in class following a maiden win at start number three on October 28th when she sat behind the speed and ran on strongly over 1200M. She comes up in trip as well but that shouldn’t be a problem, she may have plenty of improvement still in her. (5) NOTHERN LIGHTS defied big odds to get her maiden win at start twenty-six on October 21st at class and distance. Lightning may not strike twice here but she only comes up 1kg in the weights, draws fairly and Jo In-kwon climbs aboard so there is plenty in her favour. (1) DONGBU STAR was well back in that race but going on his form from the start prior, is in the frame here. (10) TEUKGEUP CHAMP another in at least the minor money frame.
|Selections||(2) My Star (9) Thunder Fury (5) Northern Lights (1) Dongbu Star|
|Next Best||10, 3|
|Fast Start||6, 8, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(3) COMPLETE FORCE registered his maiden win at start number two over 1000M on October 15th, leading every step of the way and scoring comfortably in a good time. He comes up in class and in distance here but is well drawn to be on the speed again and can make it two in a row. Both (1) ULTRA SOCKS and (5) WOLF PLAY were disappointing on their respective first attempts at this class with both showing up with pace early but weakening late on. Both should have derived benefit from those outings, and they can be given another chance here. (10) RIVER TAEYANG had just lost his way in two starts at this class in early summer. He had previously run fast times at this distance and may benefit from the five months out. He looked well in an October trial. (11) M J TIME was a decent class and distance 3rd last time out and can go close again.
|Selections||(3) Complete Force (1) Ultra Socks (5) Wolf Play (10) River Taeyang|
|Next Best||11, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 7, 11|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(9) STAR MATTA got his sole win to date over 1400M at class 6 level two starts back before running a creditable 3rd on his first try at this level when stepped up to 180M on October 30th. The set weight scale does him few favours here, but he should be able to overcome the wide draw and the mile can suit. (6) NOBLE COWBOY enters with his recent form reading well with a 3rd and a 4th from his latest two, both at 1400M. The same in-form apprentice rides today and he can be a danger. So too (3) SPICE INDIE, who has a 4th place at class and distance to her name as recently as August and comes in off a 2nd place at 1300M two weeks ago. She likes to settle right back and has a strong finish in her and she will be coming through powerfully late here. (1) COME ON FIRST is up in class but should strip fitter having returned in October following five months out while (8) HAMAN BONGHWASAN looks the other logical place chance.
|Selections||(9) Star Matta (6) Noble Cowboy (3) Spice Indie (1) Come On First|
|Next Best||8, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 8, 9,|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(7) GORGEOUS SERVE swept home late to narrowly score maiden win at class and distance on September 24th. She only comes up 1kg in the weights, she draws much better today, and she has every chance of pulling off a second consecutive ace. (9) PERFECT GUN MAN was on target at start four over this distance on October 16th when handy early and leading from the home turn. He is up in class here but comes down slightly in the weights and Moon Se-young remains aboard. (5) OKDONG GONGJU is yet to win in eighteen but comes in with recent form reading consistently. She was beaten favourite last time out when 4th at class and distance but is worth another chance here. (1) EAGLE POINT and (11) EUNHYE DREAM among others with solid placing claims.
|Selections||(7) Gorgeous Serve (9) Perfect Gun Man (5) Okdong Gongju (1) Eagle Point|
|Next Best||11, 10|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7, 11|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Competitive race and without an abundance of confidence, we’ll side with probable favourite (3) SEONGSIL SIHWA She has a runner-up finish at class and distance to her name and comes in off a good 4th in a fast race over 1400M on September 30th. She comes down slightly in the weights, draws a good gate, and has plenty going for her here. (2) ROYAL GOLD was a surprise class and distance winner on October 9th when coming from off the pace. Today’s handicap conditions mean he stays at the same weight with the apprentice claim and while everything went right for him that day, he warrants respect here. (6) I WILL BE FREE also benefits from this being a handicap, which brings him down 2kg from his strong 4th at class and distance on October 14th. Expect him to be ridden a bit further forward today and he can be a threat. (4) WIND CROSS is yet to win from ten starts but has been outside the top-four on one occasion and will probably be thereabouts again today. The returning (10) MONGTTANG is the wildcard, but he will need this.
|Selections||(3) Seongsil Sihwa (2) Royal Gold (6) I Will Be Free (4) Wind Cross|
|Next Best||10, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
A good race for fillies and mares with eight of the twelve having finished in the top-five in their respective latest outings. (1) LAST PUNCH has been knocking at the door of his second win for some time now and comes in off a strong 2nd place over 1200M on October 23rd when she went right back and ran on strongly. Coming back up to the 1400M can suit and she can go well here. (5) DAPHNE comes up to this distance for the first time. She was rapidly promoted to this class following back-to-back wins at class 6 and 5 in July and August, but she proved she can measure up with a good 2nd, albeit well beaten by Jeongsang Z, over 1200M on October 1st. She draws well and looks nicely in. (2) P N S LUCKY was a beaten favourite over 1200M last time out on October 22nd over 1400M. The time before she won at this class over a mile and the better draw puts her right back into contention again. The smart last start winner (10) REMARKABLE, as well as (3) MJ POINT, who beat P N S Lucky on her way to 3rd place last time, are others in the frame in a race of many chances.
|Selections||(1) Last Punch (5) Daphne (2) P N S Lucky (10) Remarkable|
|Next Best||3, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4, 8|
Busan Race 5: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(10) UNJU HERO is a three-year-old who indicated his class wen 4th in the KRA Cup Mile only to finish down the track in the Derby. He has since bounced back, winning two of his latest four starts. Most recently, he was 4th at class and distance when slow away and then settling midfield and then running on. He’s a big chance here and probably a prohibitive favourite. (3) EUNSEONG YEONGUNG is another three-year-old with solid form. He tackles a staying distance for the first time but has won to a mile and while he doesn’t benefit from the set weight conditions, he draws well as he prefers to race forward and should get a cosy early run. (7) NANGMAN JEONSA is a mature stayer in good form for this race having won and placed at class and distance withing his last three starts, beating plenty of these along the way. He gets back in races and runs on and has the benefit of the apprentice claim here. (2) BURUI GEOM is a two-time winner at the distance and likes to race on the pace. He too is nicely drawn and has an apprentice claim to take the edge off the weight. (4) CHANGE BACK another in the placing frame.
|Selections||(10) Unju Hero (3) Eunseong Yeongung (7) Nangman Jeonsa (2) Burui Geom|
|Next Best||4, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 6|
Seoul Race 8: Class Open (1200M) Gwacheon Mayor’s Trophy (L) / Allowance / KRW 200 Million
Listed race for juvenile fillies. (10) RAON GIANT has won two of her three starts so far by big margins and in terrific times with her only defeat coming against older horses. She likes to race forward and while this will be a challenge from the widest gate, she has a real chance. (6) FIRE GIRL is unbeaten in two starts. At her most recent outing on October 2nd, she started awkwardly before settling midfield and then ran on to win by five-lengths in a good time. A big show will be expected here. (5) SEONGSILGONGJUPINK comes into the calculations based on her last start easy win at this distance. That was at class 6 level, and this is undoubtedly tougher, but the time was fast, and she can be competitive. (2) STARLET could be one at odds. She is a winner of two including her latest appearance at this distance. She has a good draw, which will enhance her chances. (1) MEDICI WOLF, runner-up to Fire Girl in her only start to date, is another in the frame as she should have come on for that run.
|Selections||(10) Raon Giant (6) Fire Girl (5) Seongsilgongjupink (2) Starlet|
|Next Best||1, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 8, 10|
Busan Race 6: Class Open (1200M) Gyeongnam DoMin Ilbo Trophy (L) / Allowance / KRW 200 Million
Listed race for juvenile fillies. (2) ATLAS was a winner first-up in very wet conditions and then a good 3rd on her second start behind Fantastic Kingdom, the current number one ranked juvenile colt, in the Areumdaun Jilju Stakes on October 2nd. She comes into restricted filly company today and from a nice draw has an excellent chance. (14) DOCTOR OSCAR was a big winner on debut and followed up with a good 3rd in the Busan Rookie Stakes at the end of August, again behind Fantastic Kingdom. At her most recent start she was a close 2nd in a smart time. She likes to race forward so she does have the challenge of the outside barrier but that’s the only drawback. (4) HANSEN COD GIRL won at her second start in a very good time, before veering out at the start when drawn wide over 1300M but rallied well to finish 3rd. The better draw should prevent that from happening today and she can be in the finish. (10) PEOPLE POWER is a filly who has improved with every run and at her last start won over 1300M, beating Hansen Cod Girl in a good time. She draws wider today but could provide some each-way value. (7) GANGSEO GIANT has only raced the once but will be expected to kick on here.
|Selections||(2) Atlas (14) Doctor Oscar (4) Hansen Cod Girl (10) People Power|
|Next Best||7, 1|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 8, 14|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(3) YUKWAEHAN NALDEUL got promoted to this class with a good win over the distance in August and then ran 2nd on his first class 3 start on October 8th when settling back in the field and running on. Tactically versatile, he can be on pace too, and shapes as the one to beat here. (2) RAON THE ARIA is a filly who is building a fine record with four wins from seven starts, three of them at today’s distance. She is up in class here but has improved at each outing and can step up again. (10) EAST BAN doesn’t win out of turn, but he is usually there or thereabouts. At his last start on October 16th, he was 3rd over 1400M when he led the field as is his pattern. Outside of the top two, this race isn’t particularly strong, and he could easily snatch that final place. (11) MUNHAK ZENYATTA is worth consideration on her last start when 3rd at this class and distance. She tends to get back anyway so the barrier isn’t of concern, and she should b kept safe. (8) SLEEP WELL was 4th last start over the distance at big odds and could sneak some money again.
|Selections||(3) Yukwaehan Naldeul (2) Raon The Aria (10) East Ban (11) Munhak Zenyatta|
|Next Best||8, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 10: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(8) HWANGGEUM CHEONJI races for the first time since winning easily over this distance, making all in a fast time on the last day of July at class 5 level. That was three months after her previous start so there is no issue with her being first-up here and she should measure up in this company. (3) DIA KEY is a winner at this class over 1400M and comes in having run a close 4th at this distance on October 22nd. Along with Hwanggeum Cheonji he has the joint-fastest time of any of these for the distance and he is a contender here. (11) TOUGH GUY has also posted fast times at this distance. He doesn’t draw well, but then neither does much of the probable early speed and he comes down slightly in weight from his last start class and distance 5th and can get closer here. Back in trip and better drawn than in his two latest, (1) THE REAPER can improve, while (2) LUMINOUS QUEEN is another in the frame.
|Selections||(8) Hwanggeum Cheonji (3) Dia Key (11) Tough Guy (1) The Reaper|
|Next Best||2, 5|
|Fast Start||8, 9, 10, 11|
Seoul Race 11: Class 1 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 110 Million
Two standouts here. (2) SOUL MERIT comes in having run 2nd in his latest two, both at class 1 level and most recently over this distance on October 23rd when he beat settled back and ran on to beat plenty of today’s rivals. He stays at the same weight, draws well, and can win here. The testing material could be (7) GOOD PILSEUNG. A line can be drawn through his latest in the KRA Cup Classic but prior to that he was runner-up in a good trophy race over this distance on international weekend in early September. He has nine top-two finishes from thirteen starts and has big claims here. (4) LIL’ PATRON was another also-ran in the KRA Cup Classic but prior to that won three in a row at class and distance and an apprentice claim brings him right into it. (1) JJANG KONG, second up into a return after ten months out, and (11) COMPLETE VALUE are others in the frame.
|Selections||(2) Soul Merit (7) Good Pilseung (4) Lil’ Patron (1) Jjang Kong|
|Next Best||11, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 9, 11|