It’s President’s Cup weekend. The big race is in Seoul on Sunday but racing gets underway at Busan on Friday with a 9-race card from 12:30 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Maiden juvenile fillies in the opener, with seven of the twelve racing for the first time. There is some useful experience here though and (10) GRAPHENE RAP WORLD gets the nod. After a good trial, she was an on-pace runner0up in debut on October 7th, stopping the clock in a good time. She should have come on for that run and despite the wide draw, can go one better today. (4) HUIMANGUI ACHIM was a long shot on her debut on October 21st but she defied that to run a good 3rd, settling midfield and running on. She too should have some natural improvement and can be a danger here. Of the first time starters, (5) HANSOLBRAIN led for much of her trial, ultimately crossing the line 2nd in a good time. If she brings that form to the races, a bold showing is likely. (12) BORA CHAMP and (6) MY MANTRA others who hinted at ability in their respective heats.
|Selections||(10) Graphene Rap World (4) Huimangui Achim (5) Hansolbrain (12) Bora Champ|
|Next Best||6, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6, 10|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(1) VICTOR BASIUM has been a model of consistency with five starts so far all yielding finishes between 3rd and 5th. At his latest outing two weeks ago, he wasn’t able to get to his preferred leading position but from the inside gate here, he should get a softer run and looks the one to beat. He has been a beaten favourite twice already though so if you expect that trend to continue then (6) STORM AGAIN could be the one. She was 5th to Victor Basium’s 3rd when they raced each other in September but improved to register a 3rd place of her own on her latest run on October 14th. She can settle handy here and has a good finish. (3) SIMON TOP GUN finished midfield when having to contend with a wide draw on her most recent start. She previously racked up back-to-back 3rd place finishes in July and August and from a better gate is worth another chance here. (9) TAKE ADELE and (10) ECTON POWER others in the minor money frame.
|Selections||(1) Victor Basium (6) Storm Again (3) Simon Top Gun (9) Take Adele|
|Next Best||10, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 8|
Busan Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Tricky maiden here. (3) TITAN K has a 2nd and a 3rd among her latest three starts including last time out when she settled midfield and ran on. She draws nicely here, carries a very light weight, and has as good a chance as any. (5) YEOSU TORNADO returned to action on October 21st having been on the sidelines since last November and ran a very encouraging 4th at this distance racing handy throughout. He should strip fitter for that effort and can go closer today. (9) I’M KING IJI hasn’t been too far away in three starts to date. And has finished off his races well. He comes up slightly in trip today and it may be to his benefit. (4) ETERNAL ACE similarly has been knocking on the door of the places and should be in the hunt here. (7) NALA another who can build on a last star 2nd.
|Selections||(3) Titan K (5) Yeosu Tornado (9) I’m King Iji (4) Eternal Ace|
|Next Best||7, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 7, 9|
Busan Race 4: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
The only filly in the race, (5) KKOTMURI could be the one to beat here. She returned from five months out on October 7th and ran a much-improved 3rd over this distance. She can sit behind the speed here and with some natural improvement from that run, she could prove too strong. (3) FUSAICHI returned from a similar layoff in the same race, running 6th having started slowly from a wide gate. He too should strip fitter here and progress can be expected. (7) FLEX SHINHWA and (1) LET’S GO came home 3rd and 4th respectively when they raced each other over 1300M on October 16th. For Flex Shinhwa it was an improvement on recent efforts while for Let’s Go it was his debut run. Both can go close here. (8) ADELE ALLIE’s another who can aim for the minor money.
|Selections||(5) Kkotmuri (3) Fusaichi (7) Flex Shinhwa (1) Let’s Go|
|Next Best||8, 4|
|Fast Start||4, 7, 8, 9|
Busan Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(5) SAVAHA led from gate to wire to win on debut over 1000M on October 14th. He comes up in class and in distance here, but the manner of that victory means he will be hot favourite to score again. (1) NICE DAY was a winner over this distance at class 6 level two starts back before beating a couple of today’s rivals when leading but ultimately finishing 5th on his first try at this class on October 14th. An apprentice takes his weight right down here and he draws well to be on pace again. (4) RUBY STORM won on debut and while he then found t hard second-up in the Areumdaun Jilju Stakes, this is a more moderate assignment, and he can be given another chance. (11) K.AI and (6) MY SONG among others in the frame.
|Selections||(5) Savaha (1) Nice Day (4) Ruby Storm (11) K.Ai|
|Next Best||6, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5, 11|
Busan Race 6: Class 5 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Competitive race in which (10) GEUMA UNO should just about have the edge. He remains a maiden having been promoted to this class following two runner-up finishes but has proven competitive at it with a 3rd and a 4th in his latest two appearances at 1300M and 1400M. The step up to a mile can suit. (4) YONGCHEON has plenty of experience over this distance and comes in off a solid 3rd place at this class last time out on October 23rd. He tends to settle back and run on and can be in the mix again here. (2) QUEEN STAR came up to the mile on her latest start on October 5th when she settled handy and ran on for a good 3rd. She draws nicely nd can build on that here. (11) HOLLYWOOD QUEEN and (7) SUNSHINE STAR among others to keep an eye on.
|Selections||(10) Geuma Uno (4) Yongcheon (2) Queen Star (11) Hollywood Queen|
|Next Best||7, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 10|
Busan Race 7: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(4) GOBLIN will be favourite here. He has finished 2nd in both his two most recent starts, beating a couple of these in the process. He generally goes best when settling midfield and running on and while he is slightly up in the weights today, he can win. (11) ALPHA SONGDANG come sin off a 2nd and a 3rd in her latest two, both in fast times. She was considered good enough to get a start in the Korean Oaks earlier this season and while the draw isn’t in her favour here, she looks to have more wins in her. (5) OCEAN STORM comes up in class following victory at this distance on October 7th when sitting handy early before proving too strong. She draws well and comes down in the weights and can measure up in this company. (3) GRAPHENE KING and (10) HALLOWEEN PARTY are among others who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(4) Goblin (11) Alpha Songdang (5) Ocean Storm (3) Graphene King|
|Next Best||10, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 11, 12|
Busan Race 8: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(5) UNJU BULPAE looks ready to win again here. He comes up in trip following recent good work over a mile including a strong 3rd when overcoming a wide draw last time out. He is tactically versatile and can lead or settle back and run on and today can be his day. (1) GEUMA NIPPY mixes his form but he looks nicely in here under an apprentice claim and in the inside gate. His latest outing was nothing to write home about but at the start prior he was 3rd at class and distance and can be given another chance here. (3) FINAL FRONT defied big odds to run 2nd at class and distance on October 21st with three of todays rival back down the track behind him. He will warrant more respect this time. (6) HERO MAN and (9) MIDNIGHT QUEEN are potential placing chances.
|Selections||(5) Unju Bulpae (1) Geuma Nippy (3) Final Front (6) Hero Man|
|Next Best||9, 10|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6, 9|
Busan Race 9: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(1) GREAT BOSS was a winner at class and distance on October 9th when he settled back and then ran on strongly to score in a good race. He comes up a full 3.5kg in the weights as a result but he has fair claims to add to his seven career wins here. (8) ACE SOLOMON is also a prolific winner with six from fourteen starts. He is up in class here following a score over 1200M at class 3 level and is accordingly very nicely weighted. He should measure up. (4) QIEEN OF THE WORLD has run well in better company than this in the past. At her latest start in September, she was 3rd in a fast time over 1200M and looked very well in a trial two weekends ago. She should have a big say here. (5) WONDERFUL KING and (7) GEUMA PSYCHIC are others to consider.
|Selections||(1) Great Boss (8) Ace Solomon (4) Queen Of The World (5) Wonderful King|
|Next Best||7, 3|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7, 8|