Juveniles top the bill at both Seoul and Busan on Sunday as the Juvenile Series continues with the runnings of the Listed NACF Chairman’s Trophy in the capital and the Gimhae Mayor’s Trophy on the south coast. There are 11 races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00 and 6 at Busan from 12:15 to 16:40. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens to open the program with six of the twelve racing for the first time. The experience is good though and we’ll side with (1) TOUR QUEEN, who after a solid trial ran a decent 6th of twelve on debut on October 2nd, settling midfield and finishing off well. The time was fair, she comes into a good gate today, and she has a chance. (10) GEUMSEONG SIDAE has the fastest time of those who have raced before, posted when 4th on debut on September 17th. He was on pace that day and while the draw is less favourable this time, he should be a big factor again. (9) MIGHTY SSEN was slowly away on debut on October 8th but finished off very pleasingly indeed and with a better start can get closer than the 6th he managed that day. The jockey booking will lead many to suspect that (5) RAON CITY GIRL can improve on her underwhelming debut, while among the first-time starters, (7) KKUMUI SUNGAN, looks the best.
|Selections||(1) Tour Queen (10) Geumseong Sidae (9) Mighty Ssen (5) Raon City Girl|
|Next Best||7, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5, 10|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
More juvenile maidens this time with five of the twelve making their racecourse debuts. The only one to have raced twice will be the hot favourite and that’s (6) GIPPEUM HWANHO. Having run 5th on debut, he improved to 2nd at start number two on October 2nd when close to the pace throughout and stopping the clock in a good time. He draws fairly enough here and won’t need to improve too much to win. (4) EUNPA CHAMPION won a trial making all a month ago. The time wasn’t that quick, but he did what he needed to do in fine enough fashion and from a god gate can get on pace and put in a bold showing first-up. (1) AREUMDAUN SAI beat two of these on her way to 6th place on debut on October 1st. She should have derived benefit from that run and can improve on that today. (8) ARGO KKUSHONG only beat a couple home on debut, but the time was good, and the margins weren’t big. (3) SHARK PLAY is the best of the rest of the first-time starters.
|Selections||(6) Gippeum Hwanho (4) Eunpa Champion (1) Areumdaun Sai (8) Argo Kkushong|
|Next Best||3, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(6) SPRING WATER put in a much-improved showing at start number three on October 8th, when leading throughout only to be denied in the closing stages and having to settle for 2nd. He carries the same weight today, draws well enough to get on the speed again, and could go one better. (11) SECRET KING also has a runner-up finish to his name over this distance and followed it up with a 4th place at this latest, again over this distance. He has settled close to the pace and midfield so far, so the wide draw shouldn’t be too much of an inconvenience, and he can be given a chance here. (4) BEAT UP raced three times across the turn of the year, with the best being a 4th place over 1000M. He looked well when leading and then posting a fast time in an October trial and while this is his first start since February, he can go well. (10) CHOEGO POINT and (12) TOGETHER WAY among others who can place.
|Selections||(6) Spring Water (11) Secret King (4) Beat Up (10) Choego Point|
|Next Best||12, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6, 11|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens in the south coast opener with five of the ten racing for the first time. (1) JEONGMUN COBIT has raced twice already and while he has finished 6th on both occasions, he looks the one to beat here. After a solid showing on debut, he took his chance in the Areumdaun Jilju Stakes at this distance on October 2nd and while the competition there was a bit hot, he ran well enough and posted a good time. If he brings that form today, he will win. (9) GEUMA HUGE HIT went through a couple of trials, running on pleasingly enough in both and she can go well first-up in this company. So too (3) RAON THE HARLEY, who drew wide in his heat and settled back before running on. Returning to the experienced ones, (5) LIGHT SABER and (6) DOCTOR PANGPANG look the most likely to improve.
|Selections||(1) Jeongmun Cobit (9) Geuma Huge Hit (3) Raon The Harley (5) Light Saber|
|Next Best||6, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Tricky maiden here. Without much confidence we’ll go with the probable favourite, (11) DEVIL K. He has been consistent across five starts so far, with two 3rd places his best and while he gets no favours from the draw, he has a strong finish on him. If he can get a bit of luck at the start, he could win this. (2) WONDERFUL MUSIC comes in following a runner-up finish over his distance on October 8th. She got quite an easy run to the lead that day which might not happen again, although she draws very nicely and a repeat or better isn’t impossible. (7) NAMSAN MUJEOK returned form almost five months off to run a decent 3rd place over 1200M on October 8th. He should strip fitter for that effort and can be in this too. (5) BADAUI KKUM has been figuring things out of late and along with (10) LAST CALL is among others with placing hopes.
|Selections||(11) Devil K (2) Wonderful Music (7) Namsan Mujeok (5) Badaui Kkum|
|Next Best||10, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 9, 10, 11|
Busan Race 2: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(8) SPEED YOUNG achieved the rare distinction of not winning on debut but still being promoted straight out of class 6 after just one run. That’s because his first start came in the Areumdaun Jilju Stakes, a shy at the stumps that saw him pick up more prize money in finishing runner-up than he would in winning one of the Juvenile maiden races. He was five-lengths behind Fantastic Kingdom, who will be favourite in the Gimhae Mayor’s Trophy later this afternoon and the fact that he runs in this and not in that suggests that this is deemed very winnable. (9) BRAVO HAMYANG looks the most credible threat. He is yet to win but has four top-four finishes from five starts. He likes to be on pace and has overcome wide draws before. (2) NOBLE COWBOY has mixed his form across thirteen outings so far but comes in off a useful 3rd place at this distance last time. He tends to get a bit far back in his races but once more has a very light weight and can be competitive. (10) HIT THE ROAD and (7) MILK DAY among others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(8) Speed Young (9) Bravo Hamyang (2) Noble Cowboy (10) Hit The Road|
|Next Best||7, 5|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) GREEN SPARK will be the favourite here. A winner on debut over 1000M in June, she has since run 2nd and 5th in two tries at this distance, the latter in the Munhwa Ilbo Trophy on October 2nd. She skips the NACF Chairman’s Trophy later this afternoon and will accordingly be expected to win this. (5) RANUT also ran in the Munhwa Ilbo but having used up plenty of energy to get to the front from gate nine, tired in the closing stages and finished well down the field. That was just her second start following a gate to wire win on debut at 1000M. Form a better draw she should get an easier run here and can be in this a long way. (10) MORNING PEARL is yet to win in nine but has had plenty of near-misses She tends to go back and run on in her races so the wide draw shouldn’t be too much of a problem and under a light weight again, she can be dangerous. (11) DUSON CLASSIC is up in class but could measure up, while (7) LUCKY POWER, another who comes out of the Munhwa Ilbo, can also go close.
|Selections||(2) Green Spark (5) Ranut (10) Morning Pearl (11) Duson Classic|
|Next Best||7, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5, 11|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) GREEN PAPAGO has solid form over the mile with a 3rd and a 4th among her latest three outings. She draws nicely on the inside here which should allow Seo Seung-un to pick his spot behind the leaders, and she may prove too strong. (11) GEUMA SMARTY comes up in class following a win at start number three, an all-fillies race over 1400M, on September 30th. She steps up in trip as well but the way she has finished off her races suggests that it may suit, and she can measure up in this company. (10) YEONSUNG GLORY was a winner over this distance at class 6 level two starts back before running 2nd on his first try at this level over 1800M on October 16th, beating three of today’s rivals in the process. An apprentice keeps the weight nice and low, and he can be considered here. (6) ADELE FLY and (3) TEUKGEUP CAMP, the latter up in class, are others who are in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(1) Green Papago (11) Geuma Smarty (10) Yeonseung Glory (6) Adele Fly|
|Next Best||3, 4|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
It’s hard to go past (2) MAGIC JUNIOR here. He comes in off a convincing class and distance win on September 18th when he sat handy and then proved far too strong. He does come up a full 4.5kg in the weights but that is balanced a little by a much kinder draw and he has every chance of winning again. The main danger is (8) DUSON FANTASTIC. He comes in off a 3rd and a 2nd in his latest two, both at class and distance, last time only narrowly going down having led almost the entire way around. Expect him on pace again and to be in this a long way. (6) YUKWAEHAN SEONTAEK won at this distance at class 5 level two starts back. Jo Sang-beom, who rode him tat day, returns to the mount and he can be given a chance here. (3) ACHIM GISANG races for the first time since last year’s Luna Stakes (run in October). She trialed up well and while she will obviously need this, she won four of six before the layoff and clearly has plenty of talent. (4) DOUBLE BLACK another in the placing hunt.
|Selections||(2) Magic Junior (8) Duson Fantastic (6) Yukwaehan Seontaek (3) Achim Gisang|
|Next Best||4, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 6, 8|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Despite the wide draw (12) HAENAM HAMMER will be favourite for this. She was last seen running 6th of thirteen between a track record breaking effort by Wish Me in the Jeju Governor’s Cup over 1400M and prior to that ran a good 3rd at this class and distance. The draw isn’t in her favour, but she weights nicely and while she may need a touch of luck at the start, she can win. (5) DIXIE BAND is a lightly raced filly who was very impressive last time out on October 9th, bolting up on her first try at this distance. She comes up in class here but only 1kg in weight and she can be on pace or handy and a big danger here. (2) DAEHO JEONSEOL has consistent form over a mile including last start when running on for a very close 2nd. He has his fair share of weight here but can be competitive. (6) TOP ADELE is a winner of three at 1600M and he beat a couple on his latest when 2nd on October 9th having led. The apprentice claim brings him right into this. (9) ANY LINE among others in the hunt.
|Selections||(12) Haenam Hammer (5) Dixie Band (2) Daeho Jeonseol (6) Top Adele|
|Next Best||9, 1|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 11, 13|
Seoul Race 7: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Small field here with (4) RAON THE HIGH MAN the one to beat. He is yet to win but got promoted to this class with back-to-back runner-up finishes from his first two appearances. He then ran 4th on his first try at this class on October 1st, running on from the widest gate over 1200M. He comes up a little in trip today, draws much better, and can win. (1) COMPLETE LUCKY returned from five months out to run 4th at this class over 1200M on October 9th. He should strip fitter for that run and can go better today from a nice draw. Also drawn a little better than her latest two is (3) P N S LOOK, who may get a slightly softer run than she has done in her previous tries at this class. If she can get to the speed, she has every chance of being in this a long way. (5) EUNHYE RECORD and (6) ROSE GOLD are others who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(4) Raon The High Man (1) Complete Lucky (3) P N S Look (5) Eunhye Record|
|Next Best||6, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 8|
Busan Race 5: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(8) DOCTOR CAESAR is a two-time winner at the 1200M and comes in off a last start 2nd over class and distance in a good time and with several of today’s rivals behind him. He led for much of that race and while he comes up in weight and has the challenge of a wider barrier, he looks the one to beat. (9) USURP has won three times over this distance. He too come sin following a runner-up finish on his latest outing at this class, albeit over 1400M. He comes back to the 1200M with an apprentice who rode a winner for the stable on Friday aboard and that brings his weight down to a very competitive level here. (4) OREUDA has claims to start as favourite based on his latest two runs which have seen him win at 1400M and 1800M, the most recent at this class on October 14th. He made all that day; the same apprentice keeps his weight nice and light, and he draws well. (7) CHOEGANG SSONSAL is a winner at this class and distance and was 3rd behind Doctor Caesar on October 2nd. Draw a line through his latest at 1400M and he can be given a chance here. (5) CATCH THE VICTORY among plenty of others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(8) Doctor Caesar (9) Usurp (4) Oreuda (7) Choegang Ssonsal|
|Next Best||5, 3|
|Fast Start||5, 8, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 8: Class Open (1200M) NACF Chairman’s Trophy (KOR-Listed) Allowance / KRW 200 Million
(5) HANGANG ACE was a good winner of the Munhwa Ilbo Trophy from a wide barrier. He has plenty of natural speed and the benefit of a nice draw this time so it would be no surprise to see him follow up. (1) KWAEHYANG will be in the market, having run 2nd in the Munhwa Ilbo. He couldn’t race forward that day even under a hard ride, but he settled midfield and then finished off very well. He may get a softer run this time and while ultimately, he will probably be looking for more distance, he can be in this. (8) MONSTER POWER is two from two and while this is his sternest engagement to date, he ran a good time at this distance last start and is on the improve. (9) SAENAE TOWN is worth thought. He was 4th in the Munhwa Ilbo on what was just his second start and has potential for more. (4) SUN DRAGON, a winner of two from three so far, another who will have plenty of backers.
|Selections||(5) Hangang Ace (1) Kwaehyang (8) Monster Power (9) Saenae Town|
|Next Best||4, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 5, 8|
Busan Race 6: Class Open (1200M) Gimhae Mayor’s Trophy (KOR-Listed Allowance / KRW 200 Million
(2) FANTASTIC KINGDOM will start favourite here as the winner of the Busan Rookie Stakeswith an all the way effort at the end of August and then repeated the trick with a big win on the Areumdaun Jilju Stakes on October 2nd. He draws well, will be expected to lead, and to go all the way again. (4) JEULGEOUNYEOJEONG was a big last start winner over 1400M at class 4 level following a runner-up finish behind Fantastic Kingdom in the Rookie Stakes. Another on pace galloper who is nicely draw, she can be a danger here. (7) CHOICE RUN is an interesting runner and has some claims having won his last two. He likes to race forward and while this is a class rise and he has the challenge of a wide barrier, he can be considered. (3) BUDDY BUDDY will find this a lot tougher than his last start when winning in class 6 at 1000M, but he could be an improver. (8) WORLD LEGEND another firmly in the frame.
|Selections||(2) Fantastic Kingdom (4) Jeulgeounyeojeong (7) Choice Run (3) Buddy Buddy|
|Next Best||8, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 9: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(7) FAST TRACK comes in having run a close 4th over 1700M at this class on October 15th, settling back and running on. He has raced fairly at this distance in the past as well and looks nicely in here to score. (3) COOL PRINCESS comes up in trip to two turns. She has plenty of good runs to her name at this class over 1400M and under a light weight and from a good gate, she can be competitive here. (8) FLYING ATHENA was a winner over 1700M at class 5 level two starts back and while she weakened after being on pace early on her first try at this class and distance on July 21st, she comes in here fresh and can be given another chance. (1) ONE PUTT took twenty-five attempts to get his maiden win. He evidently found it enjoyable as he promptly came back out and won again. He is up in class here and lightning surely won’t strike three times but don’t rule out another good run. (2) GEUM SEDA another with minor money hopes.
|Selections||(7) Fast Track (3) Cool Princess (8) Flying Athena (1) One Putt|
|Next Best||2, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 10: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(3) COMPLETE TIME has won his latest three and four in total to find herself rapidly up at class 3 level. Her latest victory on her first try around two turns, making all at 1700M on September 24th. She is up in class and slightly in trip today but comes down in the weights and draws well to be on speed again. It could be four in a row. (4) MIGHTY POP returns to action for the first time since January. He offered few clues in an October trial, loping around at the back before improving a little late on. He has a runner-up finish at class and distance to his name and while 1800M under 58kg is a big ask first-up, it’s not impossible. (7) SURISURIMA beat three of these on her way to 3rd place at class and distance on October 9th and warrants respect here. (2) LUCKY HOON was one of those beaten by Surisurima in that race but has a solid record himself at class and distance and can be considered from a good draw. (5) CHEONMA BISANG another in the hunt.
|Selections||(3) Complete Time (4) Mighty Pop (7) Surisurima (2) Lucky Hoon|
|Next Best||5, 9|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 8|
Seoul Race 11: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
A really competitive handicap to finish with which is class 1 but with a maximum rating ceiling of 115. At a potentially decent price, we’re happy to take a chance on (6) LEGEND DAY. He was a winner at this class and distance in June when he led and then ran 2nd in July after settling in midfield and running on. He ran fast times in both, and this race is no harder. The one negative against him is the layoff and the fact he offered no clues in a trial last week. (4) RAON TAP MAN is the big danger and probable favourite. He made all to win at class and distance on September 18th. That was an uptick in form and today’s field is a little deeper, but he remains under a very light weight and draws very well. (5) MASK is now one of the grand gallopers of Seoul racing but under this weight scale finds himself very nicely in. Last time out he ran on well after being slowly away over 1200M and the extra furlong is in his favour today. (1) GO UP is a mare with a good record in the lower classes who makes her class 1 bow here. Her recent form is at 1200M, but it is solid, and she has won at this trip in the past. Down in weight and with a nice draw, she may compete for some money. (3) MIGHTY GO another firmly in the hunt in a cracking finale.
|Selections||(6) Legend Day (4) Raon Tap Man (5) Mask (1) Go Up|
|Next Best||3, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 9|