Sunday is KRA Cup Classic day at Seoul with Raon The Fighter heading a field of thirteen, six of whom come out of September’s international Korea Cup. See here for a runner-by-runner preview of the big race. There are 11 races in total at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00 and 6 at Busan from 12:15 to 16:45. Here is the race-by-race:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maiden fillies in the opener with all but three of the twelve racing for the very first time. (7) SHINE ON ME came through two trials, posting decent times in both. She should be nice and fit for her debut outing here and with Moon Se-young aboard, is sure to have plenty of backers. (4) SEONGSILGONGJUPINK is a Hansen filly who won her trial at the end of September coming from off the pace. She draws well here and also looks set for a bold showing. (3) DASI TAEEONADO was on pace in her trial, ultimately crossing the line 2nd. She draws well to get forward again and can be considered first up. As for the experienced ones, (12) JEONGSANG LUCKY posted the fastest time while (6) GLORY AND HONOR didn’t do too much wrong and both can hope for improvement here.
|Selections||(7) Shine On Me (4) Seongsilgongjupink (3) Dasi Taeeonado (12) Jeongsang Lucky|
|Next Best||6, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 7, 12|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens. (7) META BLADE came from off the pace to run 2nd on debut over 1000M on August 20th. He should have come on for the experience, and the additional furlong can suit. It certainly suited (4) WONDERFUL INDY, who is the only one in the field to have tackled the distance. Having run 9th on debut at 1000M, he came back out on September 4th and ran a strong 2nd, settling midfield and running on. From a good gate and with that experience, he will surely be a big danger here. (2) SECRET PLAY is another who has been coming from off the pace in his two previous outings, both over 1000M. He should be doing his best work late on here and is another to consider. (3) G MOTION, a likely front-runner, and (5) SUPEREME STAR others in the hunt.
|Selections||(7) Meta Blade (4) Wonderful Indy (2) Secret Play (3) G Motion|
|Next Best||5, 12|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Competitive maiden. It’s not often we take a chance on the only first-time starter in this kind of race, but we’re prepared to do precisely that here with (3) BLACK CHOCOLATE. He trialed up twice, running 2nd in the first of them before winning the second in September when handy throughout and running on well. The 1200M should suit first-up and he draws well. If you prefer experience, then (2) MAGIC MOCCASIN could be the one. She led for part of the way around over this distance on September 25th, her second runner-up finish. She draws well to lead again and can be in this a long way. (9) GOLD KAISER has the fastest time among those who have tackled the distance before. She returned from eight months off to run a solid 4th at this distance on September 18th and should have come on for it. She is another who likes to be on pace. (8) TOP POSITION and (6) YEONHUI SARANG are among other placing chances.
|Selections||(3) Black Chocolate (2) Magic Moccasin (9) Gold Kaiser (8) Top Position|
|Next Best||6, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6, 9|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens open at Busan with three of the eight racing for the first time. Here we will side with experience and (2) BARAMBARAM, who came from the back of a similarly small field on debut on September 23rd over this distance. He should have derived benefit from that and can go one better today. (4) ONE MIND similarly showed ability on her debut in late August when from a handy position, she ran on well for 3rd place, also at 1000M. She looks set to be on pace here and has solid claims. (7) HOTFLEX has run fairly in both starts so far, only beating a couple home each time but with the margins in front not too big. He can improve here. (5) DALLILLAEYO won a trial in September, running on pace throughout and looks to have the best chance among the first-time starters of making an impression. (3) ROAD TO DREAM too put in a fair time in his trial and can go well first up.
|Selections||(2) Barambaram (4) One Mind (7) Hotflex (5) Dallillaeyo|
|Next Best||3, 8|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 7|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(2) GOMANARU has improved across three starts so far, culminating in a runner- up finish over 1300M on September 18th when settling back in midfield and running on. He stretches out to 1400M for the first time, and it could be what he needs to land himself in the winner’s circle. After an indifferent debut, (1) PERFECT GUN MAN has hinted at ability with back-to-back 4th place finishes in fair times at 1000M and 1200M. He too has been running on in his races and may appreciate the step up in trip today. (8) SARANG DAMOA is one of four racing here who does have experience of the distance already and among those, she has the fastest time. She is yet to win in eleven, but her recent form reads well, and despite being drawn widest, she can settle close to the pace here and she will run on. (7) PAX NURI and (3) TWO ACE the others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(2) Gomanaru (1) Perfect Gun Man (8) Sarang Damoa (7) Pax Nuri|
|Next Best||3, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 8|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(9) ETERNAL ACE has made steady progress across nine starts so far and registered a 3rd place over this distance on September 18th having led throughout and posting a time almost a second faster than anything else here has managed over the distance and he should be hard to hold out here. (5) COME ON FIRST races for the first time since running 2nd at start number two back in May. He looked well when coming through a fast trial at the start of September and has every chance of a bold showing first up here. (1) POLE TO WIN also returns from a spell out having not raced since July. He ran fairly in September trial and can get on pace from the inside gate and be in this a long way. (4) ECTON POWER and (2) FLEX SHINHWA both need their latest starts (in the same race) forgiven, but both can go better here.
|Selections||(9) Eternal Ace (5) Come On First (1) Pole To Win (4) Ecton Power|
|Next Best||2, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 9|
Seoul Race 5: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(7) ALL FOR YOUR DREAM returned from nine months out to run 3rd at this distance on September 17th when handy throughout. He should have derived plenty of benefit from that run, strip a bit fitter here, and he can get his maiden win. (1) EUREKA had four 4th placed finishes from seven starts so far. He suffered a reverse behind a couple of these last time out on September 3rd but draws nicely here and can be aiming for improvement. (8) LUXSEN was one of those who finished ahead of Eureka on September 3rd. He subsequently ran 6th over 1200M three weeks ago but this can suit a little more and he can go close again. (3) ROCK IMPACT comes up to this trip for the first time and it may well suit, while (4) P N S KING has mixed his form across twelve starts so far but can enter the calculations in this company.
|Selections||(7) All For Your Dream (1) Eureka (8) Luxsen (3) Rock Impact|
|Next Best||4, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 8, 9|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Fillies (and one mare) here. (3) WIDAEHAN HAMAN got her maiden win at start number two over 1200M on July 29th. She then came up to this class and ran 2nd over today’s distance behind a good winner on September 2nd, when in contrast to her win when she led, she settled midfield and ran on. She comes up 1.5kg in the weights but draws very nicely and may take some beating. (9) MY STAR enters having won at class and distance on September 16th, settling handy and then running on at big odds. The same apprentice keeps the weight nice and light, and she’ll warrant a little more respect today. (6) FANTASTIC LOVE is yet to win in twelve attempts but has no fewer than ten top-five finishes. That includes a solid 4th last time out over 1400M on September 4th and she should be going close again here. (5) OMEGA GIRL and (10) JOSEPHINE QUEEN others to consider on a place line.
|Selections||(3) Widaehan Haman (9) My Star (6) Fantastic Love (5) Omega Girl|
|Next Best||10, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
This is a good race, and it looks set to be contested by four last start winners, who are all up in class here. (3) LEEWOLMA is the pick, having won well on debut over this distance on September 17th when sitting handy and finishing strongly. He comes up in the weights having had an apprentice on that day, but Moon Se-young climbing aboard is hardly a disadvantage. He also comes into a better gate and is the one to beat. (2) UNICORN HIT overcame a wide draw on debut to get to the speed and win well over 1000M. She is up in class and in trip but can measure up on both counts. (5) GLOBAL POWER took three goes to get his maiden win, which arrived at 1000M on September 17th. He has shown a powerful finish and should be taken seriously here. Similarly (4) GEOMEUN JILJU also took three goes to break through, making all over five furlongs. She carries a light weight and should be firmly in this. Best of the rest is also up in class in the shape of (6) ULTRA SOCKS. She is yet to win but has two solid runner-up finishes to her name and can be competitive in this class.
|Selections||(3) Leewolma (2) Unicorn Hit (5) Global Power (4) Geomeun Jilju|
|Next Best||6, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 6, 9|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 40Million
(8) ADELE FLY comes up in class following her maiden win at start number eight on September 16th. That win had been coming and it was a good score too as he sat handy before running on well to win by eight-lengths over 1400M. He comes up in distance too, but his previous running style has suggested it can suit and he will be favourite to make it two in a row here. The logical danger looks to be (4) YEONSEUNG BRAVO. He comes in following a good 4th when he overcame a wide draw to get on pace and beat a couple of these over this distance on September 18th. He only comes up 1kg in the weights, draws better, and has solid claims. (6) YEONSEUNG GLORY comes up in class and distance following a win over a mile on September 23rd. It took him twenty-two goes to get that maiden score and expecting a repeat might be pushing it but he carries a light weight and can place. So too (7) KWAEHAN HWANGGEUM, who is the only one in the field to have already won over 1800M and may appreciate the step back up following recent efforts over a mile. (3) DIA FORCE the best of the rest.
|Selections||(8) Adele Fly (4) Yeonseung Bravo (6) Yeonseung Glory (7) Kwaehan Hwanggeum|
|Next Best||3, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 7: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(12) NUT PLAY has impressed over three starts so far, getting his maiden win at outing number two over 1000M in July and then running 2nd on his first try at this class over 1200M in mid-August. He comes up slightly in trip here and his running style suggests the wide draw won’t be a disadvantage. (8) MIR BEST comes into the calculations following a solid 4th place ahead of a couple of today’s rivals at class and distance on September 18th. He has run good times at 1300M and can be a danger today. (1) MAIN OF KING may not have won in nineteen attempts, but he has been a model of consistency with nine top-five finishes. That includes all his latest five and he will be in the mix once again here. (3) YEONGUNG DAEMA and the up in class (5) ARCH CHARM are others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(12) Nut Play (8) Mir Best (1) Main Of King (3) Yeongung Daema|
|Next Best||5, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 8, 12|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) ILNYEOM CHEONHA ran out a class and distance winner on September 16th, settling handy before running on and beating a few of today’s rivals in the process. She does come up 3kg in the weights, but she draws nicely, and another win is not impossible. The probable favourite is (7) AGAIN TOUCH. She returned from eleven months out to make all and win over this distance at class 5 level on September 25th and while she comes up in class here, she comes significantly down in the weights, a top jockey is on, and she can win again. (6) ALPHA SONGDANG ran 2nd to Ilnyeom Cheonha in that September 16th race having worked hard at the start to cross from gate eleven to get to the lead. She meets that day’s winner 3kg better off today and gets a kinder draw than last time. (3) MENI AGAIN and (1) JATNAMUGIL others who can go close in a competitive race.
|Selections||(2) Ilnyeom Cheonha (7) Again Touch (6) Alpha Songdang (3) Meni Again|
|Next Best||1, 10|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 8: Class Open (2000M) KRA Cup Classic (KOR-G2) Weight for Age / KRW 650 Million
(13) RAON THE FIGHTER is an outstanding racehorse at seemingly any distance although this will be his first test over 2000 metres. He has huge natural speed and is able to set a pace few can match. He dueled with Japanese raider Sekifu throughout the majority of the Korea Cup at 1800M in September, ultimately seeing him off, only to be caught by local rival Winner’s Man in the very closing stages. He has drawn very wide again and the additional furlong does pose a question, but Raon The Fighter will be a justifiable favourite here. (3) KING OF THE MATCH is an improving type who made a good impression in the Korea Cup when settling midfield and while he was well beaten, he ran on resolutely. He previously ran a bottler when dead–heating with President’s Cup winner Simjangui Godong for 2nd place behind Raon The Fighter in the Busan Owner’s Cup. Well drawn and plenty of upside. (4) HAENGBOK WANGJA ran a fair 5th in the Korea Cup after settling midfield. He was the winner of the 2021 Grand Prix Stakes over 2300M and has demonstrated solid form since. He goes better when able to settle forward and back up to 2000M, and having drawn well, he is right in this (9) LIL’ PATRON has recent form that reads extremely well with three successive wins at class 1 over 1800M. Each time he has settled midfield and run on strongly. He hasn’t had to run elite level times to win those races, but he is fit, in top form and could sneak into the calculations in what is a much sterner test. (6) TUHONUI BANSEOK won his latest start by four lengths on what was his class 1 debut over 2000M with some smart ones behind him. He is very much up in class here and it is on level weights, but he is a winner of five from ten and can be considered for more improvement.
|Selections||(13) Raon The Fighter (3) King Of The Match (4) Haengbok Wangja (9) Lil’ Patron|
|Next Best||6, 8|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 11, 13|
Busan Race 6: Class 1 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
Fascinating race with two really good sorts tackling class 1 for the first time. (2) BUSANHANG GALMAEGI is a winner of seven from fourteen and comes in off a strong win in a fast time over this distance on September 18th. An on-pace galloper, he is very well drawn and caries a very light weight and he can upset the favourite. That favourite will be (9) CALM STRONG, who has earned that status on her recent form which saw her win the KNN Cup over a mile. That form took a massive boost when that day’s runner-up Wish Me romped home in a group race last week. She comes in off a win over 1800M and while she comes back to a sprint distance here but also carries a light weight and has big claims. (10) MIRACLE DREAMING and (4) BEOLMAUI STAR came home 2nd and 4th when they raced each other at class and distance on August 28th. Both should be in the hunt here. The grand old galloper (3) ACE KOREA comes into a race with slightly less depth than he has faced recently and could sneak some money too.
|Selections||(2) Busanhang Galmaegi (9) Calm Strong (10) Miracle Dreaming (4) Beolmaui Star|
|Next Best||3, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 9: Class 4 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(9) CHEON GUN doesn’t exactly win out of turn (one from twenty), and he has drawn unhelpfully wide given the 1600M start here. But he enters in good form with a 2nd and a 4th from his latest two, both at 1800M. With Jang Chu-youl away on honeymoon, Moon Se-young climbs aboard and he has every chance here. (7) JANGSAN START beat a couple of today’s rivals on his way to 4th place at big odds over this distance on September 17th. He’ll probably be at least an each-way price again here, but that experience could be valuable, and he might be worth a chance. (6) WONPYEONG COD had a dreadful day at the office when well backed on September 18th. He is better than that and can be given another chance. He’s not the only one who needs a line drawn their latest outings. Both (4) CAPTAIN BRAVO and (5) GYEONGBU DORYEONG will be expected to improve upon forgettable last-up runs.
|Selections||(9) Cheon Gun (7) Jangsan Start (6) Wonpyeong Cod (4) Captain Bravo|
|Next Best||5, 2|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 10: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
It is surely time that (1) DUSON MEONGGUN got a win on the board. He has fifteen top-five finishes, including five as runner-up, but is yet to cross the line in front. He will be favourite to put that right today with his recent form reading well a great draw, and little to fear from his seven rivals. If he does once more manage to find one too quick, it might be (3) HAEDEULMOE. His latest couple have been a touch lacklustre, but he has run some super times at the distance and in this small field, he can avoid getting too far back which has been his undoing a little of late. (4) EAST BAN is another who doesn’t win out of turn but who enters in good form. He has a quick start so should be on pace and can be in this a long way. (6) ILGYEOK PILSAL and (8) SPRING KKUM others in the frame.
|Selections||(1) Duson Meonggun (3) Haedeulmoe (4) East Ban (6) Ilgyeok Pilsal|
|Next Best||8, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 11: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
A competitive race to conclude with featuring no fewer than five last start winners. (4) K N SKETCH returned from four months out to win over 1400M on September 4th. He comes up in class as a result but draws nicely here and can potentially win again. (3) TAP QUALITY won back-to-back races over this distance in June and July before running 2nd on his first try at this level on August 14th. He draws a better gate today, will be on pace and in this a long way. (6) HANGANG BOSS and (9) MIGHTY GOOD came home 1st and 4th when they raced each other at class and distance on September 18th. Both have claims again and with Mighty Good meeting that day’s winner 4kg better off, they could be much closer this time. Up in class but down in weights, last start winner (11) FLASH THUNDER may sneak a place.
|Selections||(4) K N Sketch (3) Tap Quality (6) Hangang Boss (9) Mighty Good|
|Next Best||11, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 8, 11|