Saturday sees 10 races in the capital from 10:45 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens in the opener with three of the nine racing for the first time. (1) COMPLETE FORCE impressed in a July trial and then ran well enough for 6th of eleven on debut on August 21st. He should have derived benefit from that run, should be on pace from the inside gate, and will take some beating. Clear second choice is (4) INDIANUI BYEOL. The Hansen colt won his trial in fine enough fashion, even if the time wasn’t first. Moon Se-young aboard a first timer will always catch the eye and he appears set for a bold showing first-up. (6) WHITE WITCH has run fairly for 4th and 6th in two starts so far, posting decent times. She won’t need to improve much to get in the places here. (8) CUPID SWING and (2) RAON THE CHARLIE are others who could improve on their debut showings.
|Selections||(1) Complete Force (4) Indianui Byeol (6) White Witch (8) Cupid Swing|
|Next Best||2, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
The second division of the juvenile maiden sees four of the ten racing for the first time, and it looks a very competitive race. (10) LEGAL HIGH has raced twice so far, recording a 7th and a 6th in fair times. She has settled back both times and while she may need further, the wide draw may be of some help here in getting a trouble-free trip and under a light weight, she has as good a chance as any. (7) HAENGBOKAN MUNMAK is the only other one to have raced twice. She ran 4th of eight on debut in a good time and while she was unable to follow up, she is worth another chance here and should be on pace. (4) NANGJU YEOGEOL ran 4th of twelve on her debut in an all-filly maiden on September 18th. The time was good and while with no apprentice engaged today, she comes up in the weights, she can be involved. (9) GEUMA FIERY looks the best of the first-time starters while (2) STAR K is another who can improve on his debut effort.
|Selections||(10) Legal High (7) Haengbokan Munmak (4) Nangju Yeogeol (9) Geuma Fiery|
|Next Best||2, 5|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Luigi Riccardi continues to hold a narrow lead at the top of the Trainers’ Premiership, and he can get another on the board here with (3) HUIMANG GADEUK. The filly returned from seven months out on August 20th to finish a front-running 2nd in a time half a second faster than anything else here has managed over this distance. She should have come on for that run, she should be on the early speed again, and she can win. Busan jockey Park Jae-I had a fruitful weekend in Seoul last week and while once more he isn’t on one of the favourites in Sunday’s Group race, he picks up a nice ride here in (7) JAKDUKONG. After taking a few goes to figure things out, he enters in consistent form and should be running close. (4) BOLD AGAIN beat Jakdugong as the pair ran 2nd and 3rd over this distance on September 18th. That was his first start in almost precisely a year, and he should have come on for it. (8) ARCH MEMORY and (9) SECRET KING among others in the placing hunt.
|Selections||(3) Huimang Gadeuk (7) Jakdukong (4) Bold Again (8) Arch Memory|
|Next Best||9, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 9|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Fillies (and one mare) only here. (12) LAROMANEE is done no favours by the draw. But she enters in good form with her maiden win two starts back being followed by a 3rd place on her first try at this class on August 27th when settling handy and running on. She is back slightly up in trip today and with a bit of luck at the start she can be right in this. (1) HAPPY SOCKS beat a couple of these on her way to 5th place at this class over 1400M on September 17th. She posted a good time when 4th at this distance three starts back, and from the inside draw, she should find her way to the front early. She will be in this a long way. (5) BEST MAD CAM was 6th behind Happy Socks in that September 17th race. At the start before, she got her maiden win over this distance and with an apprentice on, her carried weight once more makes her competitive. (3) EUNHYE DREAM comes up in class following too many near misses. She remains a maiden but is well drawn and well weighted here and can measure up. (8) JEJUUI YOJEONG, the solitary mare, came from well back for 3rd place last time out and can be considered here.
|Selections||(12) Laromanee (1) Happy Socks (5) Best Mad Cam (3) Eunhye Dream|
|Next Best||8, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5, 12|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
It’s about time (1) RULES CLASS won again. Although he has only prevailed on one occasion, he has no fewer than twelve top-five finishes from sixteen attempts. He has just got a bit far back in recent outings before running on powerfully, but the inside gate today should allow Moon to pick his spot and prove too strong. (11) BLACK BEOMI got her maiden win two starts back over this distance. She ran fairly enough to finish midfield on her first try at this class on September 18th and while the draw isn’t great, if she can find a good position, she can push the favourite close. (3) MYEONGJIN CANDY has the fastest time of any of these at the distance. She was lacklustre when favourite last time out but draw nicely and continues under a light weight to the extent that she should be given another chance here. (4) INVICTUS is better than recent form suggests and could be one at odds, while (12) OLD START is another in the frame.
|Selections||(1) Rules Class (11) Black Beomi (3) Myeongjin Candy (4) Invictus|
|Next Best||12, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) RAON THE GOLD will be a warm favourite here. He won back-to-back races at class 5 level before finishing 2nd on his first try at this level on August 28th when handy throughout at this distance. He only comes up 1kg for that effort and from a better draw, should win today. (5) MENI GOLD comes up in class following a good win over this distance on September 17th, when settling midfield and running on well. She was just second-up following a lengthy absence that day and under a light weight, she can measure up here. (2) TOUGH GUY found things a little too tough in the MJC Trophy on international weekend, sitting handy early but weakening for 7th. At the start before he was a winner in a fast time over this distance at class 5 level and from a great gate, has every chance of going close. (9) REMARKABLE and (8) STRONG VULTURE are others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(1) Raon The Gold (5) Meni Gold (2) Tough Guy (9) Remarkable|
|Next Best||8, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 10|
Seoul Race 7: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(1) MARUMA is yet to win in eight attempts but has only finished outside of the top five on one occasion and enters off a strong 3rd place – albeit well back behind a good winner – over this distance on September 18th. She can sit on pace or handy here and today can be her day. That would mean overturning the form on (12) TTEOOREUDA, who beat Maruma by a head to run 2nd in that September 18th race. She had the same wide gate that day so the draw is not a problem, and she will be working home strongly again. (8) HAWKUI YEONGGWANG hasn’t won in thirty-four starts but knows hoe to pick up a cheque with fourteen finishes between 2nd and 5th. That includes each of his latest four and he can be in the money again here. (4) CURRERECUS beat a couple of these on his way to 3rd place at class and distance on August 14th. He has consistently run fair times at the distance and can be in the mix here. (3) FEDERAL KING, two and a half lengths behind Maruma last time, is another who could sneak into the minors.
|Selections||(1) Maruma (12) Tteooreuda (8) Hawkui Yeonggwang (4) Currerecus|
|Next Best||3, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(5) K FRENZY has consistently posted fast times over 1400M including when getting his sole win to date two starts back at class 5 level and then when a close 5th on his first try at this class on September 18th. It has been a long time since he attempted two turns and he looks ready for another crack here. (6) SINHAN TEUKSONG comes up in class and in trip having registered her second win at start number six over 1400M on September 17th. Although she has raced on pace, both her wins came from settling back and running on and the distance may well suit. (10) FOREVER KHAN was a class and distance winner in July and has run fairly under a similar high weight as today in two starts since. He may need a touch of luck from the wide draw in the short run to the first turn, but he should be competitive again. (8) MISS YANGHO and (4) CHEONBISEONG among others in the hunt.
|Selections||(5) K Frenzy (6) Sinhan Teuksong (10) Forever Khan (8) Miss Yangho|
|Next Best||4, 2|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(1) BEOLMAL DAEJANG wasn’t really given much of a chance on his latest outing on September 18th when he was ridden hard to challenge for the lead from the widest gate and then engaged in an early speed duel with two others that inevitably ended with all tiring and ultimately filling out the bottom three positions. He has since been back to trial, which he won, and while he comes up in the weights, he gets a much kinder draw and Alan Munro aboard. (9) ACE HAMSEONG was 4th in that race under a more patient ride. That continued his consistent run of money finishes, and he will surely be there or thereabouts again. (10) CHOEGANG GAME came from well off the pace to run a good 4th in the Listed Sports Chosun Trophy back in March. He hasn’t races since May and while 1700M is a tough ask first-up, he looked well in a trial at the end of September. (8) TOP SEED and (11) YEOLRIN MUN among other placing hopes.
|Selections||(1) Beolmal Daejang (9) Ace Hamseong (10) Choegang Game (8) Top Seed|
|Next Best||11, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 8, 11|
Seoul Race 10: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(8) MIGHTY GEE came up short when favourite over a mile on August 27th, running a close 2nd. He is ultra-consistent having missed the top three on only one occasion in twelve starts, and while he does come up in the weights and back in trip, he can return to winning ways today. (9) VICTOR MOON is a talented filly with a nice turn of foot who was last seen running 3rd in the competitive STC Trophy on international weekend over this distance. She consistently runs fast times and can overcome gate nine to get on pace and be in this a long way. (5) SEUNGBUSA was 2nd in the Korean Derby in May before finishing midfield in the final leg of the Triple Crown, the Minster’s Cup, over 2000M in June. He weakened at his latest outing over a mile at the end of July and may well appreciate the return to a sprint distance today. (2) JANGSAN FOREVER and (10) SPEEDOM among plenty of others in the money hunt.
|Selections||(8) Mighty Gee (9) Victor Moon (5) Seungbusa (2) Jangsan Forever|
|Next Best||10, 7|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 7, 9|