Graded Stakes racing returns to Seoul on Sunday for the first time since the Korea Cup and Korea Sprint five weeks ago with the Jeju Governor’s Cup (1400M KOR-G3) for local-bred fillies and mares taking centre stage. There are 11 races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00 and 6 at Busan from 12:15 to 16:45. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maiden fillies in the opener with five on the nine racing for the first time. And unlike in so many of these races where we go for experience, this time we’ll go with a first timer. (8) YUKWAEHAN SARANG won a trial in good fashion, running on pace on the bridle and responding well when asked for a brief effort. She looked well within herself and let loose on the track, has every chance first-up. (7) RAON THE FLATTER ran a creditable 4th on debut in July in a fair time before parting company with her jockey right after the start on her re-appearance on August 27th, competing the course pilotless. So long as man and beast stay united here, she should improve on that debut 4th. (2) GANGHAN QUEEN was on pace for much of her debut before weakening late on She should have derived benefit from that run and can be in this a little longer. (4) SEUNGRIUI YEONGHON and (5) VISION STAR are other newcomers who may provide some interest.
|Selections||(8) Yukwaehan Sarang (7) Raon The Flatter (2) Ganghan Queen (4) Seungriui Yeonghon|
|Next Best||5, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens here and based on his debut performance, it will be very hard to look past (4) NANOMETA. Having won a July trial, he came out on August 28th and came from off the pace to finish 2nd over 1000M. The additional furlong today should be ideal and with the benefit of that experience, he should take some beating. (5) MORNING PRINCESS was a decent 3rd on debut and while she found herself overmatched on her second appearance which is in the Rookie Stakes at the end of August, she finds herself back in shallower waters here and can be a big player. (2) BAEDARI WANGJA similarly ran well for 2nd on debut and while he couldn’t repeat at start number two on September 4th, he can be given another chance here. (3) HUNTER BLADE and (8) LEMON BLADE others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(4) Nanometa (5) Morning Princess (2) Baedari Wangja (3) Hunter Blade|
|Next Best||8, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 6|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
A big field for this maiden but another short-price favourite seems likely and again Moon Se-young rides it in the shape of (7) STRONG CHARM. He has a 2nd and a 3rd to his name from three starts to date including last time out when he ran through the line well. He comes up in distance here, but it should suit, and he should sign off from class 6 with a win. (3) ROSE GOLD beat a couple of these on his way to 2nd place two starts back and followed up with a 3rd, again at this distance, on September 18th. He has the fastest tie of any of these for the distance and from a good draw can go close. (11) DEVIL K is another who will be up to class 5 with a finish anywhere in the top three. He comes in off back-to-back 3rd place finishes in good times at this distance and can run on well here. (12) MENI ACE, who returns for the first time since February, and (2) SAMBA ZONE, are others in the frame.
|Selections||(7) Strong Charm (3) Rose Gold (11) Devil K (12) Meni Ace|
|Next Best||2, 9|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 9, 12|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens open proceedings on the south coast, with four of the eleven racing for the first time. The hot favourite will be (2) WORLD LEGEND, a good 2nd on debut over 1000M in July and then 4th over this distance in a good time at start number two on August 28th. He draws very nicely to be on pace here and should take some beating. (10) K.AI has been on pace for 3rd and 2nd in two starts so far, both over the 1000M. The draw is a little wider than ideal, but he should handle the distance and can be a danger. So too (8) DOCTOR PANGPANG. He made good ground late to run 2nd on debut over 1000M on August 28th and should appreciate the step up in trip today. (1) ADELE HORANGI and (11) FINAL SEVEN can also be in the hunt for at least places in a race with decent form, given the lack of experience.
|Selections||(2) World Legend (10) K.Ai (8) Doctor Pangpang (1) Adele Horangi|
|Next Best||11, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 10, 11|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(7) MONSTER POWER ran out a comfortable winner on debut over 1000M on September 3rd, settling midfield and then running on strongly. He comes up in class and in distance, but neither should be an issue and he is the one they need to beat here. (4) STAR RUSH is yet to win in twenty-five attempts, but he has had a fair few near-misses and was a decent 4th in a fair time over 1300M last time out. He has had a couple of months off and looks a place line here. (6) JANGSU NABOM too has placing chances. He weakened having led last time out but at the start prior, he ran a solid 3rd place beating a couple of today’s rivals in the process. He has the fastest start among these and can be in this a long way. (1) COWBOY TANGO and (2) COMPLETE LUCKY are others with minor money claims.
|Selections||(7) Monster Power (4) Star Rush (6) Jangsu Nabom (1) Cowboy Tango|
|Next Best||2, 5|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 7, 8|
Busan Race 2: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(8) ALPHA V is winless but comes up in class following a 2nd and two 3rd place finishes, all over 1200M. She carries a light weight and he running style suggests that the widest gate – of only eight – shouldn’t be a problem. This is hardly the most intimidating of class 5 fields and this could be her day. (6) GOLD TAP will probably start as favourite. While he comes in having missed the top five for the first time, when 6th over this class and distance on September 16th, that wasn’t a bad run, and the finish was tight. He can sit in pace or handy here and may prove too strong late on. (2) MY SONG is a winner over this distance at class 6 level and while she weakened to only beat one home having led over her previous start at the beginning of September, she is worth another chance today. (1) INDIAN PARTY and (7) WIND PARK others capable of sneaking a place.
|Selections||(8) Alpha V (6) Gold Tap (2) My Song (1) Indian Party|
|Next Best||7, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Small but competitive field with two standouts. It’s time (7) GANA FASHION won a race. She has three runner-up finishes and one 3rd place from four starts so far and came close to making all at class and distance last time out. She can be on pace again and may just be a little sharper in the finish which is what makes her the very marginal top pick over (2) TIZ SUCCESS, who has similar form but with a win in the books and over one race less. She too was an on-pace 2nd last time out, stopping the clock in an identical time to that of Gana Fashion in her race. She comes up one more kilogram than her rival does and also starts here for the first time in three months. It would be a big surprise if those two don’t fill out the quinella so the rest look like battling for the minors. (3) ELITE RULES, (1) JEONGMUN PAPAGO and (4) TIZ FIGHTING all come in off the back of good latest starts.
|Selections||(7) Gana Fashion (2) Tiz Success (3) Elite Rules (1) Jeongmun Papago|
|Next Best||4, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5, 7|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Having trialled strongly, (5) RAP VERSA ran out such an emphatic winner on debut over 1200M in August that he was sent off as favourite on his first try at class and distance on September 2nd. After a very poor start, he could only run into 9th place, but he has too much potential not to be given another chance today. (4) TAMNA HANEUL overcame gate eleven to run a good 3rd over class and distance on September 16th. He is very nicely weighted, comes into a better gate, and can go close today. (12) MAIN BRIDGE is up in class following a maiden win over this distance at start number two on August 19th. With an apprentice claim, he comes down a full 5kg in the weights and while he may need a bit of luck at the start from the widest gate, he can be competitive here. (10) THUNDER CLOUD and (7) GEUMA UNO are other logical choices to challenge.
|Selections||(5) Rap Versa (4) Tamna Haneul (12) Main Bridge (10) Thunder Cloud|
|Next Best||7, 9|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 8, 12|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Another race with a clear favourite. (7) CHEONGSAN YEONGUNG may only have won once from eleven outings, when scoring over 1400M three starts back at class 6 level, but he has been a model of consistency and has a 2nd and a 3rd in his two attempts at this level, both over 1700M. He is tactically versatile and able to run well when on pace or from behind, which stands him in good stead for the lottery that can be the 1600M start, and he is the one to beat today. The most credible rival is (5) BLUE CHARM, who despite being winless in seventeen, is another with good consistency. He is also the only one in the field who has experience of this distance, having run 4th of ten at it on September 25th. (4) BRAIN SPEEDER comes in off a solid 4th in a fast time over 1400M in August and is another to consider for the places. (1) KINGDOM STORM and (2) THUNDER HORSE the other probables for the minor money.
|Selections||(7) Cheongsan Yeongung (5) Blue Charm (4) Brain Speeder (1) Kingdom Storm|
|Next Best||2, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6, 8|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Competitive race. (8) GREEN PAPAGO can mix his form, but he has put in some solid runs at this class including over the mile two starts back when 3rd, settling right back and running on strongly. He can leave himself too much to do on occasion, but he looks nicely in here and is a big chance. (1) DIXIE BAND is an up and comer who comes up in trip following a slightly disappointing effort over 1400M on his first try at this class on September 4th. That followed an impressive maiden win at 1300M in August and under a light weight and from a great draw, he can be a big factor here. (4) QUEEN OF HEARTS beat a couple of these on her way to a good 3rd place over 1400M at this class on September 4th. She is another who tends to get a long way back, but she has a good finish on her. (2) ALPHA HEART and (9) QUEEN STAR are others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(8) Green Papago (1) Dixie Band (4) Queen Of Hearts (2) Alpha Heart|
|Next Best||9, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 9|
Seoul Race 7: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(9) WOW WOW still has the potential to reach the elite of racing here but the Derby 5th-placgetter needs to be proving it by winning races like this. He scored over 1700M at class 4 level two starts back before running 3rd at this class and distance on August 28th. He is tactically versatile as he showed when overcoming gate fifteen in the Derby – although he had a lot of tired horses to run at that day – and gate nine isn’t an imposition. An apprentice takes some weight off and he should win. (1) HWANGGEUM LUCKY races for the first time since beating a couple of these on his way to 4th over 1700M at this class in June. He doesn’t win out of turn but has plenty of placed-finishes and looked well when trialling under Moon Se-young two weeks ago. (2) CHOEGANG BLACK ran 2nd to Hwanggeum Lucky in that trial and returns following just over six months out. She has plenty of ability and can also go well first-up here. (6) LUCKY HOON and (5) THE SPIKER others in the hunt.
|Selections||(9) Wow Wow (1) Hwanggeum Lucky (2) Choegang Black (6) Lucky Hoon|
|Next Best||5, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 8, 9|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(1) YASAENGHWA was a late scratching from a planned engagement that she would have been favourite for two weeks ago due to a touch of illness and she will accordingly be favourite here too. She was a winner over this distance at class 5 level in August and ran 4th on her first try at this class on September 2nd. She is well weighted, draws well and may take some beating. (10) QUEEN HARLEY beat Yasaenghwa in that September 2nd race, coming from well back to run 2nd at big odds. She only comes up 1kg for that, that wide draw isn’t significant, and she warrants more respect this time. (8) ADELE BOSS comes up in class following a win over 1400M back in July. He previously ran 4th to Yasaenghwa’s 3rd over this distance at class 5 level and can measure up here. (6) WONDERFUL SECRET and (7) TRIPLE STORM are others who can enter at least the placing calculations.
|Selections||(1) Yasaenghwa (10) Queen Harley (8) Adele Boss (6) Wonderful Secret|
|Next Best||7, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5, 9|
Seoul Race 8: Class Open (1400M) Jeju Govenor’s Cup (KOR-G3) Allowance / KRW 450 Million
Domestic bred fillies and mares here. (8) RAON THE SPURT found herself playing second fiddle on the Filly Triple Crown trail with a 3rd in the Luna Stakes, and runner-up finishes in the Oaks and Gyeonggi Governor’s Cups. She has since won over 1800M at class 3 level and then took out a tough Singapore Turf Club Trophy at 1200M on international weekend. She is the likely leader here and can get her Group race reward. (12) WISH ME is a talented mare who for the last five starts, all in good company, has managed to find just one better. That may be the case again here, but she always runs well, is suited to this distance, and can run good times. (4) GOLDEN POWER swept all three legs of the Filly Triple Crown and then ran a very good 4th in the KNN Cup over a mile. She has drawn well here and comes in fresh with solid claims. (13) DIA ROAD won this race all the way back in 2019 but enters here having not races for fifty-three weeks. She was kept under a strong hold and asked to do precisely nothing when re-qualifying in a trial three weeks ago, so few clues were offered there. She is super talented but given how long it has been, it may be worth seeing how she looks in the parade. (2) LADY KELLY the best of the rest.
|Selections||(8) Raon The Spurt (12) Wish Me (4) Golden Power (13) Dia Road|
|Next Best||2, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 8, 12, 13|
Busan Race 6: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(6) DONGTEUJA BOY enters here seeking a hat-trick of victories following narrow class 3 scores over a mile and 1800M. He comes up in class and down in trip but also comes down a full 5kg in the weights. He has run well at this distance before and has every chance of another victory here and will aim to sit on pace or handy. (1) ONNURI JILJU was a winner at this class over 1200M two starts back before beating a couple of these on his way to 4th place, again at 1200M, at his latest outing on September 18th. He draws well here, an apprentice claims 4kg, and he can go close. (3) COPY THAT has been beaten by Onnuri Jilju in both his latest two outings but he was a class and distance winner three starts back. The weights do him no favours here, but he draws well and should be kept safe. (5) GREAT BOSS and (2) ILNYEOM TONGCHEON among others in a competitive race in which it is hard to draw a firm line through any.
|Selections||(6) Dongteuja Boy (1) Onnuri Jilju (3) Copy That (5) Great Boss|
|Next Best||2, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 6|
Seoul Race 9: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(5) FLYING GOLD returned from five months out to register his maiden win over 1200M on September 18th, having sat handy and run on in a fair time. He comes up in class and in trip here but draws well and has the potential to win again. (7) DIA POWERCAT comes in off a solid 2nd place over class and distance in a fast time on August 28th. She was sent off as the longest shot on the board that day, which was surprising given her previous start when 6th of twelve in a fast time. She does come up 3kg in the weights but can be on pace and can be a big danger. (4) BICHUI DAERYUK returns from just over three months off, prior to which she was going well. He performed pleasingly enough in a recent trial and can be given a chance first up here. (8) CHANCELLOR and (6) SAINT LUCCA among others in the frame.
|Selections||(5) Flying Gold (7) Dia Powercat (4) Bichui Daeryuk (8) Chancellor|
|Next Best||6, 12|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 10: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(5) TOUCH NINE comes up in class following a good win at this distance on August 14th when he sat midfield before running on strongly. He comes down 3.5kg in the weights, draws well and can win again. (4) DAESAN TEUKGEUP is a winner of four from eleven, including a fast win at this class over 1200M three starts back. At his last start at the end of July, he got well back but ran on well for 3rd. An apprentice keeps his weight nice and low, and he will be a big danger here. (7) K N MAGIC races for the first time in almost four months but looked fit enough in a September trial. He was a model of consistency before the layoff and can be competitive first up here. (1) NONSTOP CAT and (12) JISANGUN, the latter up in class after a good win last time out, are others who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(5) Touch Nine (4) Daesan Teukgeup (7) K N Magic (1) Nonstop Cat|
|Next Best||12, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 9, 11|
Seoul Race 11: Class 1 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
We’ll take a chance here on (12) CLEAN UP HAPPY, who has won at class and distance and was 6th in the SBS Sports Sprint before running 4th last time out in August. He comes down in the weights here, the draw shouldn’t be a problem and he could win. It’s that 7kg advantage he has that puts him over (11) MORFHIS. The seven-year-old is the best horse in the race and was an excellent winner of the SBS Sports Sprint in June before running a creditable 6th in the Korea Sprint a month ago. He has defied big weight disadvantages and wide draws in the past though so this grand galloper could well do it again. Look for improvement from (3) MENI HERO at probable decent odds. He comes down significantly in the weights and third-up following a long spell out, he could be peaking here. Also down in the weights as a result of the “Morfhis factor” is (2) CUPID GUY. He beat three of these on his way to 2nd place at class and distance on August 14th and a repeat can’t be ruled out. (10) YEONHUI ILCHUL another in the hunt.
|Selections||(12) Clean Up Happy (11) Morfhis (3) Meni Hero (2) Cupid Guy|
|Next Best||10, 4|
|Fast Start||9, 10, 11, 12|