There is plenty to get stuck into this Sunday as Seoul runs an 11-race card from 10:45 to 18:00 while Busan has 6 races from 12:15 to 16:40. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile filly maidens with eight of the twelve racing for the first time. We will side with experience and (10) RAON FOREST, who has two starts under his belt, having run 2nd on debut in July before following up with a 5th place on August 13th both over this distance and both in decent times. He draws a touch wide again but can settle handy and it can be third-time lucky. The pick of the first timers is (6) MAESTRA. She ran a solid 2nd in her heat in a fair time and Moon Se-young’s presence on board is in her favour. (4) FOUR ACE finished 6th of eight on debut on August 14th, however, the time was fast and the margins not big and he should have benefitted from the experience. Returning to the debut makers, (12) ARA MOA and (2) SMART SOCKS are others to consider.
|Selection||(10) Raon Forest (6) Maestra (4) Four Ace (12) Ara Moa|
|Next Best||2, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(7) JAKDUKONG is yet to finish in the top two but enters with her recent form reading well with a 3rd and two 4th place finishes in her latest three and has good times for this distance. She has tended to get a bit far back in her races but can be ridden handy here and can win. (9) TOP POSITION has hinted at ability over six starts so far. She finishes off her races well so the wide draw shouldn’t be too problematic, and she can be aiming for a career-best showing. (1) FLYING GOLD returns to action for the first time since April. His best run to date came on his final run before the layoff when runner-up over 1200M. He looked well in his trial in late August and should go well first-up here. (2) BOLD AGAIN and (6) GENTLE RULES are among others who can go close.
|Selection||(7) Jakdukong (9) Top Position (1) Flying Gold (2) Bold Again|
|Next Best||6, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6, 9|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(7) ROSE GOLD will be the favourite here based on his last start effort on August 14th when he sat handy and then ran on strongly, denied by the favourite by a narrow margin on the line. That continued a run of improving results and he can crown that with victory here. (9) DAESEUNG GAON is yet to finish in the top two but comes in off a solid 3rd place at this distance on August 13th when coming from well back. A good apprentice takes 2kg off her back and that can bring her into contention. (5) GOLD KAISER returns to action for the first time since January. She has two 3rd places from her four starts but will be backed here based on her good trial on August 26th when she crossed the line 2nd in a good time. If she brings that form to the races, she won’t be far away. (6) SECRET KING should be on pace and can improve on his debt performance while (8) CHEONMA CHAT is another in the hunt.
|Selection||(7) Rose Gold (9) Daeseung Gaon (5) Gold Kaiser (6) Secret King|
|Next Best||8, 3|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6, 7|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens open proceedings on the south coast and four of the twelve are racing for the first time. There is some useful experience entered though and (9) THUNDER FURY will be the favourite. After a good trial showing, he ran a solid 3rd place on debut in a good time over 1000M on August 7th. He settled back and ran on that day and the additional furlong should be to his benefit. (12) MOTHER MOUNTAIN also put in a good 3rd on debut on August 21st. She must contend with the outside gate today, but the same apprentice keeps the weight very low, and she can be competitive again. (11) ADELE HORANGI also comes in off a 3rd place on debut. He was a long way behind the first two home but should have come on for the experience and can get closer this time. The pick of the newcomers is (5) WONDERFUL VOW. She led for most of the way around in her trial, crossing the line in front in a fair time. (10) I’M KING IJI another who can improve on his debut effort.
|Selection||(9) Thunder Fury (12) Mother Mountain (11) Adele Horangi (5) Wonderful Vow|
|Next Best||10, 8|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(8) KINGS EYE has been consistent across his four starts so far with a 3rd place at 1200M his best. Last time out on August 20th he overcame gate ten to beat a couple of today’s rivals on his way to 4th in a good time over this distance and he could well have too much for this lot. (5) GOMANARU showed significant improvement at start number two over this distance at the very end of July, coming from midfield to run 4th. She can settle back again here and be running on strong at the business end. (11) SHOOTING REVERSE has a 2nd place to her name among three starts so far. She has been doing her best work late on in her races so far so the wide draw shouldn’t be a problem and the slight step up in trip may assist. (3) TANSAN and (6) GEUMA WITTY among plenty of others with placing claims.
|Selection||(8) Kings Eye (5) Gomanaru (11) Shooting Reverse (3) Tansan|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 9, 10|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(8) GOLDEN POINT has been going close in his latest efforts including a runner-up finish over this distance two starts back when settling back in the pack and running on strongly. He has the fastest time among those who have tackled the 1300M before and he looks to be the one to beat here. (1) HALLA BAEKDU pulled out a much-improved 2nd when returning from a couple of months off on August 21st. He was ridden on pace for the first time that day and from a great draw and under the same apprentice claiming 4kg, he can go close again. (2) ETERNAL ACE comes in off a decent 4th place at this distance on August 7th. He too will probably be on the speed from an inside draw, and he should be competitive. (4) INSATIABLE and (6) ECTON POWER are others in the placing frame.
|Selection||(8) Golden Point (1) Halla Baekdu (2) Eternal Ace (4) Insatiable|
|Next Best||6, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 4|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(9) CHAPEL PRINCESS was a winner over 1200M at class 6 level two starts back before running a good 2nd at big odds over this distance on her first try at this class on August 14th with a couple of today’s rivals back down the track behind her. She can settle on pace or handy here and has every chance. (7) BURUI YEOWANG comes back in trip following two solid 4th place finishes over 1400M in July and August, both in good times. A good apprentice keeps the weight down here and she will surely be close again. (12) K N TIZWON is yet to finish in the top two but is up in class here following three consecutive 3rd place finishes, the latter two over this distance in good times. Moon Se-young is aboard and despite the wide draw, he can be competitive. So too (4) DIVINE FUTURES, who beat K N Tizwon on his way to 2nd place on August 20th. He is up in class but down in the weights. (3) P N S VILL ran 5th behind Chapel Princess last time out but is a winner at this distance and is another to keep safe.
|Selection||(9) Chapel Princess (7) Burui Yeowang (12) K N Tizwon (4) Divine Futures|
|Next Best||3, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 9, 11|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(7) ART KELLY was sent off as favourite over 1300M at this class on August 7th but stumbled coming out of the gate and struggled to get going. That was her first start since March, and she had certainly shown enough ability before that to warrant another chance here. (8) GRAPHENE KING also needs a line drawn through his latest just two weeks ago when from gate eleven he broke well but found himself stuck several wide for most of the race and saw his challenge wilt. An apprentice takes the weight down today and with a bit less early speed on his inner this time, he can go much better. (10) SUPER CRACK comes up in class following a couple of near misses in his latest two. He comes down in the weights and should be able to measure up in this company. (1) EAGLE STAR and (11) TWO TWO COIN among others in the hunt.
|Selection||(7) Art Kelly (8) Graphene King (10) Super Crack (1) Eagle Star|
|Next Best||11, 3|
|Fast Start||3, 8, 9, 11|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(10) COMPLETE LEVEL ran out a gate-to-wire winner on debut over 1000M on August 13th, showing good acceleration to move clear of the field in the final furlong to score by a comfortable five-lengths. He comes up in class and in distance here, but neither should be an issue and he can maintain his 100% record. The most credible danger looks to be (11) HIGH RUNNER. She won at this distance at class 6 level two starts back before finishing a good 2nd on her first try at this class on July 31st, albeit a long way back behind a good winner. She overcame gate ten that day so the wide draw shouldn’t be a problem and she can push the favourite here. (1) STARLET and (2) WHIZ UP both come up in class following their respective maiden wins last time out, the former over 1000M and the latter over today’s trip. Both should measure up at this level. (4) GREEN DRAGON is another with placing claims.
|Selection||(10) Complete Level (11) High Runner (1) Starlet (2) Whiz Up|
|Next Best||4, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 10, 12|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(10) GREEN PAPAGO settled right back from a wide draw and then ran on strongly to beat three of today’s rivals on her way to 3rd place over a mile on August 19th. Like most of these, she steps up to 1800M for the first time, but it may suit, and she has as good a chance as any here. (1) BARBELL POSEIDON was 5th behind Green Papago in that August 19th race, running on strongly. He too tackles two-turns for the first time and while he is up significantly in weight without the benefit of an apprentice claim, that’s balanced somewhat by an inside draw, and he can go close. (4) CHAMP GO returned from five months out to make all to win over 1400M on August 7th. He comes up in class here and while he isn’t favoured by today’s set-weight conditions, he looks to have potential for more development. (9) KING BID and (2) DIA FORCE among others who can enter the calculations.
|Selection||(10) Green Papago (1) Barbell Poseidon (4) Champ Go (9) King Bid|
|Next Best||2, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 11|
Seoul Race 7: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Competitive race. (4) MARUMA has only finished outside the top five on one occasion from seven starts and has posted good times at the shorter distances. He is tactically versatile and the step up to two-turns could be what he needs to make his breakthrough. That step up certainly worked for (2) MUSTANG POWER, who made all to get his maiden win at this distance in March and then followed up with a runner-up finish, again at this trip but this time at this class, in May. This is his first start in sixteen weeks, but he has solid claims to score again. (12) TTEOOREUDA is another who tries 1700M for the first time. Her recent work at 1400M has been solid and she finishes off her races well. (10) ONE PUTT warrants respect having won at class and distance on August 14th while (8) GEUMSEONG SEGYE is another with placing credentials.
|Selection||(4) Maruma (2) Mustang Power (12) Tteooreuda (10) One Putt|
|Next Best||8, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 5, 8|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(3) UNJU OCEAN is a winner of two from four and ran a good 3rd on his first try at this class over this distance on August 7th. From a good draw, he can be on pace here and looks to be the one to beat. (2) RAON THE FIGHTING is not to be confused with his very similarly named counterpart from the same ownership group, but he is building a decent record himself. He weakened over a mile last time out but should be happier back at seven-furlongs today. (12) SEOGWI POINT ran 4th behind Unju Ocean on that August 7th race. She has been very consistent since being promoted to this level and despite the wide draw, she can go close again. (6) DAEHO JEONSEOL and (10) HALLA NURI are others in contention for the minor money.
|Selection||(3) Unju Ocean (2) Raon The Fighting (12) Seogwi Point (6) Daeho Jeonseol|
|Next Best||10, 4|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 8: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
The ultra-consistent (6) ACE HAMSEONG is going to be favourite here. He has a super record with eighteen top-four finishes from twenty-three starts and he has won at this distance. He can settle either handy or back and a repeat of his regular performance could be enough to see him home here. (12) BEOLMAL DAEJANG comes up in class following back-to-back wins at class 4 level at 1700M and 1800M. Those two wins have been from on the speed so the draw isn’t great, but he comes down significantly in the weights and a hat-trick can’t be ruled out. (10) BYEOLUI SUNGAN was an also-ran in the Korean Derby before returning to shallower waters to score at class 4 level over 1400M on July 10th. He has had a couple of months off and comes up in class but down significantly in the weights and he can be a danger here. (9) DREAM MAX came from off the pace to win over this distance at class 4 level in July and can measure up here. (3) GREEN DARC, a winner at this class over distance last time out is another who shouldn’t be ignored.
|Selection||(6) Ace Hamseong (12) Beolmal Daejang (10) Byeolui Sungan (9) Dream Max|
|Next Best||3, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 8, 10|
Busan Race 6: Class 6 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
This is pretty much a do-over of race 15 on the bumper Busan program on August 7th at class and distance. Conditions today favour that day’s 3rd-placegetter, (2) BUSANHANG GALMAEGI, a winner of six of thirteen so far and who was tackling class 2 for the first time. He is nicely weighted, nicely drawn and the one to beat. The upset winner on August 7th was (9) ONNURI JILJU, who settled back before striking the front up the inside and running on. He is penalised a full 5kg for that win but warrants respect all the same. (5) HAPPY FEVER was 2nd on August 7th having been on pace throughout. He comes up 2.5kg but should still be competitive. (4) COPY THAT and (8) DOCTOR FASHION came home 5th and 8th respectively in that race and both can be aiming to get closer this time.
|Selection||(2) Busanhang Galmaegi (9) Onnuri Jilju (5) Happy Fever (4) Copy That|
|Next Best||8, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 8|
Seoul Race 9: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(6) ALEXANDER ONE looks ready to win. The Dialed In four-year-old has secured three placings from four starts so far and was beaten into 2nd when favourite at this latest start at the end of July. He gets a slightly better draw today and this time can get it right. (12) IRON MUSKET is certainly not favoured by the draw but ran a strong 2nd on his latest start in a fast time at class and distance on August 14th. He may need a bit of luck at the start but if he can find a decent position, he can finish strongly. (9) MUNHAK STORM is yet to win in seven attempts but has plenty of near misses. Though drawn a touch wider than ideal, he should have enough speed to get to the lead and can be in this a long way. (2) HANGANG MAGIC, up in class after a good win at the distance last time, and (5) BEST TIME, a class and distance winner, are among others to take into account in a competitive race.
|Selection||(6) Alexander One (12) Iron Musket (9) Munhak Storm (2) Hangang Magic|
|Next Best||5, 8|
|Fast Start||4, 8, 9, 11|
Seoul Race 10: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(8) SOUL MERIT saw his four-race winning streak come to grinding halt in June’s SBS Sports Sprint in June, but while he was 7th of ten, it was by no means a bad run as he was within five-lengths of the winner at level weights against the country’s best sprinters. He has had a couple of months off since and comes into regular class 1 company for the first time beautifully weighted. He should return to winning ways. (2) MIGHTY GO ran a good 3rd in a super-fast race over 1200M on August 14th. He doesn’t benefit from an apprentice claim this time but draws nicely and should be in the mix again. (1) IRON SOCKS comes back in trip after recent work over 1800M which has included a class 1 win. He draws well and can be competitive. (4) MENI HERO and (5) WANG BEOTKKOT others in the frame.
|Selection||(8) Soul Merit (2) Mighty Go (1) Iron Socks (4) Meni Hero|
|Next Best||5, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 6|
Seoul Race 11: Class 4 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
A competitive race to conclude. (1) K FRENZY finally broke through at the thirteenth time of asking with an emphatic score over this distance on August 20th when settling right back and running on strongly. While up in class, he is fairly weighted here, draws well again, and has every chance. (3) WONPYEONG COD has been getting a bit far back in his races, but he has the joint-fastest time of any of these at the distance looks sure to be competitive again here. (4) QUICKLY RUN did exactly that in his first two outings to be rapidly promoted to this level. He has run 2nd in fast times in two subsequent outings at this level at 1700M and 1300M and while he is up 3kg in the weights today, he should be on pace and be in this a long way. (2) WHITE CHARM and (12) ENERGIZER, the latter a class and distance winner who is up in weight, are others to take into consideration.
|Selection||(1) K Frenzy (3) Wonpyeong Cod (4) Quickly Run (2) White Charm|
|Next Best||12, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 8|