The Owners’ Cup (1600M KOR-G3) is the feature race of the day as Raon The Fighter seeks to get back to winning ways after two shock defeats. See here for a horse-by-horse preview of the race. The Owners’ Cup is the concluding race 7 at Busan on a card that runs from 11:35 to 17:05. There are 10 races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
A juvenile maiden to open with and while the field is small, it’s a good one. (7) GIANT PUNCH is worth favourite status having run the fastest time among these on his debut on June 18th when handy throughout. He’ll probably sit handy again and could prove too strong late on. The latest off Raon’s Musket Man production line is (6) RAON THE HIGHMAN. He debuts here having won a trial in a fast time in June and he looks set for a bold showing first-up. (1) STRONG CHARM was a good 2nd on debut on June 25th. Expect him to be on pace from the inside gate and he should be in this a long way. (2) DUSON CLASSIC and (4) WHITE WITCH came home 2nd and 4th when they debuted together on June 18th. Their times were only fair, but both hinted at ability and there could be some natural improvement here.
|Selections||(7) Giant Punch (6) Raon The Highman (1) Strong Charm (2) Duson Classic|
|Next Best||4, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5, 6|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Three-year-old maiden fillies and it’s hard to look past (9) INNER PEACE. She has run 3rd in both her starts to date, both at this distance and registering good times. She has run on the pace both times so the draw may not be ideal, but she should be able to overcome it and will take some beating. (5) BARAMSAL looks to be figuring things out with three 4th place finishes from her latest three outings. She should settle midfield and run on and should be aiming for a career best finish here. (6) SPEED ACE was an improved 3rd at start number two on June 26th, settling back and running on. He can be a contender here. (2) MONEY TAP and (8) COSMO QUEEN among others with placing chances.
|Selections||(9) Inner Peace (5) Baramsal (6) Speed Ace (2) Money Tap|
|Next Best||8, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 7, 9|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens with four of the eight racing for the first time. (4) DOCTOR OSCAR will start as the hot favourite, having run 2nd on debut on June 24th, beating three of today’s rivals in the process. She was on pace throughout and should get into the lead here and go all the way. Of the first-timer starters, (6) K.AI looks the pick. He led practically the entire way in his trial in early June, crossing the line well clear of the field in a fair time. If he can bring that form to the races, then he has a good chance. (2) RELEASE EDITION ran 5th on debut behind Doctor Oscar in that June 24th race. With some natural improvement from that run, he can get closer today. (5) PEOPLE POWER and (7) NALA, the latter a first-time starter, others who could potentially place.
|Selections||(4) Doctor Oscar (6) K.Ai (2) Release Edition (5) People Power|
|Next Best||7, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 6|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
A competitive race with plenty of chances. (7) RUBY CAT showed plenty of promise across five starts in 2021 with a best of 3rd over 1200M. She also ran well at this distance. She races for the first time since last December but looked well when winning a June trial and has every chance of a bold first-up showing here. If the lengthy layoff raises a red flag, then (11) EUNPA MOUNTAIN is the logical pick. After a chastening debut, he has run 3rd and 4th in two starts since, both at 1200M. He draws wide but the additional half furlong can suit, and he can be a danger. (2) BLOW MIND comes back in trip following recent work over 1700M. He has a 3rd place to his name at this distance and from a good draw can go close today. (4) GANGCHEOL BUDAE and (10) SONGAM DRAGON others in the frame.
|Selections||(7) Ruby Cat (11) Eunpa Mountain (2) Blow Mind (4) Gangcheol Budae|
|Next Best||10, 5|
|Fast Start||4, 7, 10, 11|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Tricky puzzle here. (5) HANSEN ICHEON returns for the first time since last November. He had shown ability in three starts last year with a 3rd place over 1400M his best. He impressed in a July 2nd trial when handy to the lead and crossing the line with the same time as the “winner”. If he brings that form to the races, he may win. (1) SKY SEUNG races for the first time. The filly good when trialing up in June and draws a very nice gate on the inside. She can go close in what is not an intimidating race to debut in. (3) MORNING MUSE has been consistent with a 5th and a 3rd from his latest two. His times haven’t been spectacular but in the absence of much gate speed here, he may get a soft run to the front and could take some dislodging. (8) SKY ARCH and (4) PUNGAN JOHWA others with placing chances.
|Selections||(5) Hansen Icheon (1) Sky Seung (3) Morning Muse (8) Sky Arch|
|Next Best||4, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 6|
Seoul Race 4: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(1) THE FAVORITE will, for once, be exactly that. Yet to score in eight, he has six top-four finishes including his latest on July 9th when running 2nd at class and distance. From the inside gate and in this small field he can get a soft lead and make all. (2) SAEROUN BOBAE is yet to win in twenty-four starts but knows how to pick up a cheque with eleven top-five finishes. That includes a 3rd at her latest outing on May 8th and she has solid claims to place again. (5) MAIN OF KING is another many-start maiden but he too comes in with recent form reading well, especially her 2nd place two starts back at class and distance. She can be handy to the speed here and run on. (7) STAR RUSH and (6) FEDERAL EYE others with money chances.
|Selections||(1) The Favorite (2) Saeroun Bobae (5) Main Of King (7) Star Rush|
|Next Best||6, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 5|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Competitive race. (8) LADY GOLDEN won over this distance at class 3 level two starts back, coming out of the widest gate to settle midfield and then run on well. She then ran a creditable 4th on her first try at this level over the extended 1400M on June 19th. She looks nicely in here, Perovic knows her well, and she can win. (6) TAMNA HANEUL is vastly experienced and the seven-year-old is seemingly having a late career resurgence with a 3rd and a 2nd from her latest two. She gets in here under a very light weight, draws well, and can go close again. (9) RAON THE FLASH is yet to win n eight starts but has five top-four finishes. She comes in following a useful class and distance 2nd on June 26th and should be competitive again today. (5) HALLOWEEN PARTY comes up in class and distance but can measure up while (1) GIANT CAL is another who could potentially place.
|Selections||(8) Lady Golden (6) Tamna Haneul (9) Raon The Flash (5) Halloween Party|
|Next Best||1, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 9|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Draw a line through the latest showing by (5) RAON THE PEARL when she had a disappointing day at the office over 1300M on June 4th. She was a bit slow away and took a bump coming out of the gate, then raced wide all the way around and was found slightly lame afterwards. Her form before that was robust, winning well over this distance at class 6 level. She has been back in work since July 9th and will be favourite to score here. In a race where the form isn’t very deep, (9) WONPYEONG GWANGYA should be competitive. She comes up in class having got her maiden win at start seven over this distance on June 19th. It was a big uptick in form but there is little to fear here. Similarly (7) HWANGGEUM DALBIT is also up in class following a maiden win at the distance. In her case, she led gate-to-wire and will be on speed again here under a very light weight. (3) EUNHYE SERVE and (2) JISANGUN others in the frame.
|Selections||(5) Raon The Pearl (9) Wonpyeong Gwangya (7) Hwanggeum Dalbit (3) Eunhye Serve|
|Next Best||2, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 9, 10|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(8) CHEONNYEONUIGUREUM looks to have as good a chance as any here. She may be a twenty-four-race maiden, but she has twelve top-four finishes and enters in consistent form with a 4th place on her latest outing at class and distance on June 12th. Moon Se-young climbs aboard and it could be her day. If she does find one too quick again – and she might – then a probable suspect is (1) GOLD TAP. His win came on debut at 1200M in February, but he has run fairly at this level, including two spins around a mile, in three starts since. He likes to be on pace, so the draw is in his favour. (5) ADELE BOSS is another maiden who knows how to pick up a cheque and comes in with recent form reading well. He is another on pace type who will be challenging for the lead from the start. (4) QUEEN OF HEARTS and (6) NORTHERN LIGHTS are among several other possible placers.
|Selections||(8) Cheonnyeonuigureum (1) Gold Tap (5) Adele Boss (4) Queen Of Hearts|
|Next Best||6, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(4) NEMO PRINCESS has won at this distance and gets top pick here based on her last start 2nd in a fast race on June 19th when she was handy throughout and briefly struck the front before being beaten by a good winner. She comes up 2kg from that but that’s balanced a little by a better draw. She should be on pace here and can win. (5) YUKWAEHAN NALDEUL was 3rd in that race and while he has six-lengths to make up, he stays at the same weight and also draws better than he did that day. He can get closer. (2) COSMO comes up rapidly in class having won two of her latest three. She’s an on-pace galloper who draws well and should be in this a long way. (1) P N S HAENGBOK and (3) TIZ BLACK others with placing hopes.
|Selections||(4) Nemo Princess (5) Yukwaehan Naldeul (2) Cosmo (1) P N S Haengbok|
|Next Best||3, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4, 5|
Busan Race 5: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(3) DOCTOR FAITH comes in having led every step of the way to win over class and distance on June 5th. He is ultra-consistent with thirteen top-three finishes from sixteen starts and while he does come up 2kg for that win, he has every chance of following up here. (2) CHANGE BACK doesn’t win out of turn but he too has good consistency with a 3rd at class and distance two starts back and then beating a couple of today’s rivals on his way to 4th place over a mile on June 17th. He likes to settle back and run on and has recorded good times for the distance. Don’t rule out. (8) DAEJI CHOICE had a hard time in his latest start, the Minister’s Cup at Seoul over 2000M when he found himself on gate thirteen. Go instead on his previous outing, when winning well over this distance at class 4 level. He should be competitive here. The up in class pair of (5) HAPPY WITCH and (6) ALPHA AGAIN are others who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(3) Doctor Faith (2) Change Back (8) Daeji Choice (5) Happy Witch|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(7) HEUNG DREAM is set to be a warm favourite here. He comes in following a 2nd and two 3rd place finishes from his latest three at distances between 1200M and 1400M and at this distance specially has recorded good times. He will be on or close to the early speed and despite giving away plenty of weight to everything else, should prove too strong. (5) QUIET ADELE comes back in trip for the first time in a very long time. She has tended to get a bit far back in her races, but she finishes well and under a very light weight today, could go close. (2) ANYANG OXEN has the fastest time among these for the distance. He has had a couple of months off since his last start and he looked very well when running 2nd in a fair time in a trial last week. (1) BAEDARI CANDY is another who has perhaps lost his way a little but looks nicely in here and could surprise. (4) ARFONS another placing chance.
|Selections||(7) Heung Dream (5) Quiet Adele (2) Anyang Oxen (1) Baedari Candy|
|Next Best||4, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 7, 9|
Busan Race 6: Class 4 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(1) EUNSEONG WINNER is the probable favourite based on her 3rrd place finish in the Gyeonggi Governor’s Cup, the final leg of the filly Triple Crown, over 2000M at Seoul on June 4th. She is nicely weighted and drawn here and in an easier assignment, can win. (2) MENIFEE SONG is a winner of two races at 1400M and comes up in class following the latest of those back in April. That’s a thirteen-week layoff but he tends to settle midfield and run on, is nicely drawn, and can be in this a long way. (9) MAN OF THE STAR is improving with every run. At his last start he was a winner over 1400M at class 5 and while this is harder and he has the challenge of a wider barrier, he can be in the mix again. (4) DONGNAM BULPAE is worth thought on his last start 2nd after knuckling coming out of the gate while (3) DAEHO JEONSEOL is another who can aim for at least a place.
|Selections||(1) Eunseong Winner (2) Menifee Song (9) Man Of The Star (4) Dongnam Bulpae|
|Next Best||3, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 8: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(1) K N POST is a maiden, but she has been improving at each run and comes in with three consecutive runner-up finishes, most recently over 1400M at this class on June 12th. The additional distance may suit, and she draws nicely. (6) BODY STAR has been there or thereabouts in his latest runs and was a close 3rd over this distance on June 26th having been last most of the way around. He does tend to get a bit far back in his races, but this is an easier assignment than recent ones and he can go close. (3) CHEONGSAN YEONGUNG is up in class on his win over 1400M on May 28th. He likes to race forward and can measure up at this level. (4) DELPHINI is a maiden with consistent form. She was a fair 6th on her first try at two-turns last time out and should have benefitted from that experience. (2) COUNTRY ROAD another in the hunt.
|Selections||(1) K N Post (6) Body Star (3) Cheongsan Yeongung (4) Delphini|
|Next Best||2, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 5|
Busan Race 7: Class Open (1600M) Owners’ Cup (KOR-G3) Weight for Age / KRW 450 Million
(2) RAON THE FIGHTER won his first ten but comes in off two luckless seconds in the Busan Ilbo and Seoul Owners’ Cups at 1200M, stumbling at the start in the first and then being run down late by Black Musk in the latter. He has won up to 1800M, lands a nice gate here and with Moon Se-young aboard for the first time, he is the one to beat. (1) SUCCESS MACHO is a winner of nine from eleven with both defeats coming in Group company including his last start 3rd in the Mayor’s Cup when from gate eleven he was on pace and wide. He has a much better draw today and a big chance. Another up-and-comer is (10) KING OF THE MATCH. He came from well off the pace to run 4th in the Busan Mayor’s Cup, having made all to win at this distance in a fast time at class 1 level in April but was carrying a very light weight. Looks to have plenty of upside and can be given a chance at an each-way price here. (11) SIMJANGUI GODONG and (6) HEUNGBARAGI are among a number of others with chances of at least a place.
|Selections||(2) Raon The Fighter (1) Success Macho (10) King Of The Match (11) Simjangui Godong|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 9: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(2) MANSE is race fit and has solid class 4 form. He won at this class over 1700M three starts back and comes in off a 2nd place at that same distance on his latest start on June 18th. This race is no stronger and he has big claims. (7) WHITE CHARM places in the 2020 Rookie Stakes and he enters in consistent form in four starts returning from a year’s absence in April. He can race forward or in midfield and can at least match his last start runner-up finish. (9) SOARA BABA was a class and distance winner three starts back in April and has subsequently run 4th and 2nd in two outings since. She gets the benefit of an apprentice claim today and the barrier isn’t much of a concern. (3) SPEAR GUN is yet to win but is a prolific placer. Especially around the two-turns. He is nicely drawn and could go close again. (11) ACHIM HAMSEONG another to keep safe.
|Selections||(2) Manse (7) White Charm (9) Soara Baba (3) Spear Gun|
|Next Best||11, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 10: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(6) WONPYEONG GASOK will be favourite here. He has won his last two races by a combined margin of twelve-lengths, the first of which was at this distance. He comes up in class here but is down in the weights and has every chance of completing a hat-trick here. (3) LORD BAN returns to action for the first time since April of 2021. He had certainly shown ability before the layoff and is a class and distance winner. He looked good in a fast trial in mid-June and could go well first-up today. (2) JANGSAN MISSILE can have a line drawn through his latest and instead we can go on his 3rd place at class and distance in April. He trialed up well in June, draws well and has a light weight. (4) MIGHTY BOOM is never far away and can settle forward with a nice draw today. He and (1) LOOKING GOOD are at least place chances.
|Selections||(6) Wonpyeong Gasok (3) Lord Ban (2) Jangsan Missile (4) Mighty Boom|
|Next Best||1, 7|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7, 9|