The Listed Ilgan Sports Trophy is the feature race on a day where there are 10 races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00 and 7 at Busan from 11:35 to 17:05. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Tricky maiden to open with. Without too much confidence, we’ll side with (5) LONDON MYEONGGA. He has hinted at figuring out what to do in his latest two, running 5th both times over 1300M and 1200M. Moon Se-young getting booked today may suggest this is his time. (1) PERFECT TIME was a significantly improved 2nd when stepped up to this trip on June 5th. She settled back and ran on well in a fair time that time and won’t need to improve much to go very close here. (7) GLOBAL STORM ran a solid 3rd at this distance on June 11th and from a similar gate and against similar calibre opposition can be competitive again. (6) RESERVED JOHN and (3) LAST CALL others to consider.
|Selections||(5) London Myeongga (1) Perfect Time (7) Global Storm (6) Reserved John|
|Next Best||3, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 2: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Competitive race featuring six fillies and one gelding. (2) BAEKDU MIIN ran out a very pleasing gate to wire winner over this distance on debut on May 28th, overcoming a wide draw to lead. She comes up in class here but is down in weights and comes into a better gate with solid claims of maintaining her 100% record. The primary danger is (4) OLD START who comes back in trip having led for much of the way around 1400M at his latest outing on May 14th. He has run good times at this distance and will be expected to be on the lead again here. (3) NANA LAND too is another who has put in some decent times at the distance and while she can get a bit far back in her races, should be competitive here. (5) GO GO STAR beat Nana Land when they faced one another on June 11th. That was an uptick on recent form, but she shouldn’t be ruled out. (7) HAPPY NEWMA comes up in class off a slightly unexpected all the way win over this distance back in April and may measure up.
|Selections||(2) Baekdu Miin (4) Old Start (3) Nana Land (5) Go Go Star|
|Next Best||7, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5, 7|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Seven juveniles make their racecourse debuts here so it’s to the trial videos that we head. We find that (6) GOLD ROSE was the most convincing in her heat, making all to cross the line well ahead of the rest in a fair time over the 1000M. If she brings that form to the races, she will be hard to beat. (5) BUILD UP ran 2nd in his trial but it was in a time almost as fast as that of Gold Rose. He settled back and ran on and is set for a bold showing first-up. (7) I’M KING IJI made all to win his heat. The time was touch slower than some of today’s rivals but nevertheless, he di what he needed to do and should have come on for the experience. (3) PISTOL STAR posted the quickest time of any of them in trials. It was a fast heat on a wet track but should stand him in good stead here. (1) THUNDER CROWN didn’t disgrace himself either and draws nicely on debut.
|Selections||(6) Gold Rose (5) Build Up (7) I’m King Iji (3) Pistol Star|
|Next Best||1, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 3: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Three main ones in the frame here but his last start 2nd at class and distance is enough to tip the balance toward (3) NAMSAN CHOCOLATE. She does come up in the weights by 2kg from that day when she settled behind the lead and ran on behind a good winner, but that’s balanced a little by a better gate and today can be here day. (7) TIZ SUCCESS comes up in class following a 2nd place on debut followed by a win, both at today’s distance. She has raced handy to the lead both times and while this is harder, she is lightly weighted and can measure up in this company. (8) BLUE CHARM is yet to win in fifteen starts but has been consistently close. He comes back in trip and should be a danger here running on. (1) M J TIME and (5) GOLDEN SCOOP, who has won a trial since her latest outing, are others to consider.
|Selections||(3) Namsan Chocolate (7) Tiz Success (8) Blue Charm (1) M J Time|
|Next Best||5, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 7|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
After an indifferent debut, (6) HANEUL JILJU has, over three subsequent outings, looks very much as though she is working towards a maiden win with a 4th, 3rd and a 2nd. She has led in all those races, will surely do so again here, and this time she should come out on top. It took (1) PHANTOM QUEEN a little bit longer to show that she is figuring things out but her form in her latest two certainly reads well with a 4th and a 3rd. She doesn’t benefit from an apprentice claim today but that’s countered by having Seo Seung-un climb aboard and she should be running on late. (5) SIMON TOP GUN has mixed her form across her thirteen starts so far. She is yet to finish in the top-three but has plenty of minor money finishes and in this company can be looking for a best result to date. (2) DOCTOR PERSIA and (4) BOOMY STAR others who may be competitive.
|Selections||(6) Haneul Jilju (1) Phantom Queen (5) Simon Top Gun (2) Doctor Persia|
|Next Best||4, 9|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 9|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Small but competitive field. Despite being a maiden, (6) THUNDER FLASH looks a worthy favourite. He led for much of the way around over class and distance on June 4th, ultimately finishing a very close at hand 3rd. In this company, he should be able to get an easy lead and is the one to beat. (7) GANA FASHION comes rapidly up in class having finished 2nd in both her starts so far, both over 1200M. She comes down in the weights, can sit on pace or handy here and can measure up in this company. (4) RAON THE GOLD comes in having pulled off an unexpected win at this class over 1200M on May 29th at odds of 50/1. She gets an additional 3.5kg for her troubles but warrants a little more respect this time. (1) SINHAN TEUKSONG and (5) BE FLOWER also in the frame.
|Selections||(6) Thunder Flash (7) Gana Fashion (4) Raon The Gold (1) Sinhan Teuksong|
|Next Best||5, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 7|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(8) SHAKA comes up in class having registered his maiden win at start number three on June 24th when leading from gate to wire. He should be able to lead here again and has every chance of a repeat. (4) TWO TWO COIN beat Shaka when winning over this distance at class 6 level on May 27th. She stepped up to 1300M for her first try at this class on June 26th but while she was handy for much of the way around, she ultimately finished in 7th. She comes back in trip here and slightly down in the weights and she can get closer today. (6) GEUMBIT SKY ran 5th in that June 26th race, continuing a run of consistent form. He likes to settle back and run on, and he can go close today. (5) ANASTASIA and (2) INDY CHOICE are others with placing claims.
|Selections||(8) Shaka (4) Two Two Coin (6) Geumbit Sky (5) Anastasia|
|Next Best||2, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 5: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Small field here and (6) NONSTOP REWARD is the one to beat. He comes in having won at class and distance on June 5th when settling in midfield and then running on to win comfortably. He does come up a full 3.5kg in the weights but should be equal to it and can win again. (5) DOKKAEBE returned from more than six months out to run a creditable 5th of ten at class and distance on June 5th. He should have come on for that run, remains nicely weighted and can get closer today. (3) CHEONGCHUN VIVA ran a good 3rd in that June 5th race having been handy throughout. He was second up following a spell of his own and can continue to make progress here. (1) TAPDOWN, under a light weight and from a good gate may improve, while (4) FASHIONED PASSION is another in the minor money hunt.
|Selections||(6) Nonstop Reward (5) Dokkaebe (3) Cheongchun Viva (1) Tapdown|
|Next Best||4, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 6|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(1) GEUMA INFINITE struggled from the widest gate, ultimately finishing 7th on his first try at this class over 1400M on June 26th. He had previously won smartly at that distance at class 6 level and from a much better gate today, can be a different prospect. (5) BEST WIND overcame a wide draw to run very well for 2nd in an all-filly race at class and distance on June 12th. She comes up slightly in weight but draws much better and that may be enough to see her start as favourite here. (7) JOSEPHINE QUEEN came from well off the pace to get her maiden win at start number five over 1200M on June 3rd. She comes up in class and back up in trip today but neither should be an issue and she can be competitive. (8) HANEUL JEONSA and (2) SPICE INDIE others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(1) Geuma Infinite (5) Best Wind (7) Josephine Queen (8) Haneul Jeonsa|
|Next Best||2, 4|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(4) MIRACLE DAUGHTER has made all in her latest two, winning handsomely both times to come rapidly up to this class. The manner of those victories suggests that there is more to come and in this small field, she should be getting to the front again and can complete her hat-trick. (5) MIGHTY KICK is yet to win in eight but has put in some consistent performances so far. Song Jae-chul climbs aboard today and while he may again find one too quick, he looks a firm placing chance. So too does (1) MUNHAK STORM, who beat Mighty Kick on his way to 2nd place over class and distance on June 5th. That was his best finish to date and the half-brother to Moonhak Chief can build on that today. The form falls rapidly off after those three with perhaps (3) DIRT SURFER and (7) ANYANG HORANGI next best.
|Selections||(4) Miracle Daughter (5) Mighty Kick (1) Munhak Storm (3) Dirt Surfer|
|Next Best||7, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 7|
Busan Race 5: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Having secured his maiden win over 1300M back in April at class 6 level, (1) YONGGARI has recorded back-to-back 3rd place finishes at this class, at 1200M and a mile, most recently beating three of today’s rivals on June 17th. From an excellent draw, he can settle behind the leaders and run on and could prove too strong. (2) STAR CATCH comes up in class after registering her maiden win at the sixth time of asking on June 26th when always handy over 1400M. That win had been coming, she is nicely weighted and drawn here, and she should measure up in this company. (8) WONDERFUL FILE ran 4th behind Yonggari in that June 17th race. She has been ultra-consistent, only missing the top four once from eight attempts and while she draws wide again, in this small field it should be a problem and she can go close. (5) ALPHA HEART and (6) QUEEN OF THE QUEEN others who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(1) Yonggari (2) Star Catch (8) Wonderful File (5) Alpha Heart|
|Next Best||6, 4|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(5) BYEOLUI SUNGAN ran a solid 5th in the KRA Cup Mile before finishing back in the pack in the Korean Derby. He ran an excellent 3rd at this distance in the Listed Sports Seoul Classic trial and has previously won at the distance too. He returns to shallower waters for the first time in a while and has solid claims to return to the winner’s circle. (6) MAGIC GRACE is another with an easier assignment today having last run in the Korean Oaks at Busan where she was 6th of ten. She has won at class and distance and can be a danger today. (7) COOL PRINCESS has run 3rd in both tries at this class, both at this distance and both in fast times. She comes up in the weights today but should be competitive. (10) TOP CLASS comes rapidly up in class after back-to-back wins but can measure up in this company while (1) TOUGH MAN is another in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(5) Byeolui Sungan (6) Magic Grace (7) Cool Princess (10) Top Class|
|Next Best||1, 3|
|Fast Start||6, 9, 10, 11|
Busan Race 6: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(9) BURUI GEOM was a winner at this class over 1800M two starts back when overcoming the widest draw to get on to the pace. Disregard his latest effort when he was sent to Seoul to take his chance in the Minister’s Cup over 2000M and drew gate sixteen, this is a much more suitable assignment, and he can win. (7) TOP ADELE made all to win back-to-back races over a mile at class 5 level in February and May. His most recent start on June 17th was completely out of character and if you can overlook that then he is a big chance here. In a race that falls away somewhat in terms of form, (4) SINBIHAN GANGJA might be worth a chance at an each-way price. He has been there or thereabouts recently and while he does tend to get back a bit, he will be running on. (1) SUSO ENGINE and (5) QUEEN HARLEY others who can challenge for at least a place.
|Selections||(9) Burui Geom (7) Top Adele (4) SInbihan Gangja (1) Suso Engine|
|Next Best||5, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 8: Class Open (1800M) Ilgan Sports (KOR-Listed) Allowance / KRW 200 Million
(6) CHEONJI YEOGEOL is a mare with good staying credentials being a last start winner at 1800M in class 3 and previously ran 4th behind Raon First in the Donga Ilbo, also at this distance. She is race fit and will settle midfield and make up ground in the straight. (5) FOREVER DREAM is yet to be tested at the staying journey, but he is a winner of five from nine in total, including his latest three by a combined fifteen lengths. In recent starts, he has been running on and if he gets the trip, he has an excellent chance. (2) DONGJIN CHOEGANG is another up-and-comer with five wins from eleven. At herlatest she ran 6th over 1800M but it was at class 2 level and the margins were small. He should be right in this. (1) EODIGANA won the Gyeonggi Governor’s Cup over 2000M last December and ran 3rd in a valuable Trophy race at this distance in April. Draw a line through her latest at an ill-suited 1400M and she goes close. (8) JANGSAN BADA is another with good form coming into the race. He has placed at this distance and has placing chances here.
|Selections||(6) Cheonji Yeogeol (5) Forever Dream (2) Dongjin Choegang (1) Eodigana|
|Next Best||8, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 7, 8|
Busan Race 7: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) GOLD PRINCE is the one to beat here. He is lightly raced and looks to be working up to a win having run 3rd at his latest start at this class and distance. He tends to race midfield but is nicely drawn here which will enhance his chances and he will be a warm favourite. (3) DONGTEUJA BOY is the probable pacesetter. His recent work has been at 1200M where he has set good times, but he is one of only two in the race to have won at 1400M before and in a race of little serious form, that stands him in good stead. (7) GALAXY ORB placed at this distance back in class 5. He likes to race forward and in an easier race here, may get closer. (1) QUEEN MARVEL IJI merits a chance based on her last start 4th at class and distance behind Gold Prince when running midfield and solid in the straight. (4) MARK ONE, the other who has won at this distance another in the minor money hunt.
|Selections||(2) Gold Prince (3) Dongteuja Boy (7) Galaxy Orb (1) Queen Marvel Iji|
|Next Best||4, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(7) JOY BROTHER comes up in class having won at this distance on June 11th when racing handy throughout and then running on strong. He comes down 3kg in the weights here and has every chance of winning again. (5) BEST TAP was a strong winner at this distance at class 4 level two starts back before running a good 3rd on his first try at this level on May 21st, beating a couple of today’s rivals in the process. He likes to settle back and run on, and he has a strong finish on him. (1) COMPLETE CAPTAIN has plenty of experience at this level including a runner-up finish at this distance two starts back. He draws very nicely to lead here and should be in this a long way. (4) WONDERFUL RUBY and (3) MOST SPEED others who can challenge for the minor money.
|Selections||(7) Joy Brother (5) Best Tap (1) Complete Captain (4) Wonderful Ruby|
|Next Best||3, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 7|
Seoul Race 10: Class 1 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 110 Million
Very competitive class 1 affair to close the card. (8) IRON SOCKS is in great form with a win and a runner-up finish, both at class and distance, from his latest two, leading on both occasions. He has the steadier of considerably more weight today as well as a wider barrier but otherwise this race is no harder and he is a big chance again. (4) URI was a good 2nd at this distance at his latest start on May 21st, a big improvement on his first-up run. He should be peaking fitness wise here and can go close. (10) LIL’ PATRON beat Uri to get his first class 1 win in that May 21st race. He comes up a bit in the weights and draws wide, but he is still a chance in this company. (7) WINNER GOLD is never far away and has collected prize money of some description in all of his latest eleven starts. He is assisted by an apprentice claim and is right in this race. (6) DARK PLAYER perhaps the best of the rest.
|Selections||(8) Iron Socks (4) Uri (10) Lil’ Patron (7) Winner Gold|
|Next Best||6, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 6, 8|