The Busan Mayor’s Cup has attracted a super field and is the feature race of a big Sunday program in Korea. See here for a full preview of the big race. There are 6 races at Busan from 11:35 to 16:20 as well as 11 at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Ten three-year-old maiden fillies go around in the opener and there are two standouts. (2) GEUMA CHIC was a much-improved runner-up at start number two on June 5th when unlike on debut, she was prominent throughout. She draws nicely again to sit close to the speed and with a bit more natural improvement, she can win. (8) SONGAM ARCHGIRL has improved across three outings to date. Along with Geuma Chic, she is the only one in the field to have previously raced at this distance and she registered a faster time when running 2nd from a wide gate on April 23rd. She comes in fresh after nine weeks off and may start as favourite. (10) GREEN DRAGON has put in two creditable runs in 2nd and 4th so far, both times on pace. The draw isn’t ideal, but she looks a good place chance again. (1) MAGIC MOCCASIN should be on the early speed from the inside gate and can be in this a long way while (9) FLY JENNY has the potential to improve from her debut.
|Selections||(2) Geuma Chic (8) Songam Archgirl (10) Green Dragon (1) Magic Moccasin|
|Next Best||9, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 8, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens although this one is open to the boys as well. It’s hard to look past (5) WORLD CHARM. Having trialled up well, he was 2nd on debut at this distance on May 28th when handy to the lead throughout. The time wasn’t fast, but he wasn’t beaten too far and with some natural improvement here, he should win. (12) DREAM ROSE was sent off as favourite for her debut on back on March 20th, having shown good speed in a trial. He ran 5th having been close to the pace and having had a further three months off since and has every chance of improvement. (7) NB JEONSA comes in off a 3rd and a 4th at this distance in his latest two, having been on pace both times. He’ll be getting forward again and should be going close. (2) ROMA BLADE and (4) SHOOTING REVERSE others with placing chances.
|Selections||(5) World Charm (12) Dream Rose (7) NB Jeonsa (2) Roma Blade|
|Next Best||4, 3|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 10, 12|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens open proceedings on the south coast. (2) WORLD FOUR A will be a hot favourite to break through at what will be start number three having run 2nd and 3rd in two prior outings. He’s been on the pace both times and from a great draw should lead again and prove hard to catch. (6) TOMYRIS won a trial before drawing the widest gate on debut and getting well back before running on for 6th. She should have come on for that run and from a much better draw today she can get much closer. (9) TWO OF US has been consistent across three starts so far and has registered the fastest time for the distance of any of these when 3rd back in April. She too likes to get forward and while she is drawn a little wide, she should be competitive again. First-time starter (11) TAP DANCER and (12) GEOMBOSEONG are others in the placing frame at least.
|Selections||(2) World Four A (6) Tomyris (9) Two Of Us (11) Tap Dancer|
|Next Best||12, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(7) EUNHYE RECORD looks the one to beat here. He comes in off back-to-back 4th place finishes over this distance and 1400M, last time out beating a couple of today’s rivals. He can sit behind the speed here and use his strong finish to make the breakthrough. (8) ECHO ZONE finished 6th behind Eunhye Record when they met at 1400M on May 28th. He also has a 3rd to his name over 1200M and may appreciate the slight drop in trip and the less unfavourable draw. (11) JAKDUKONG and (9) P N S YARNS came home 3rd and 4th with not much between them when they raced each other at 1200M on May 29th. Both came from off the pace, and both shouldn’t be concerned by the relatively wide gates. (10) ARCH RIVER has the fastest time of these at the distance and is another with potential to improve.
|Selections||(7) Eunhye Record (8) Echo Zone (11) Jakdukong (9) P N S Yarns|
|Next Best||10, 4|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 10, 12|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(4) MILK DAY enters in the best form here having finished 4th and 2nd in his latest two, most recently at 1400M on May 29th when from a wide gate, he sat behind the speed and ran on for a close runner-up finish, his best in ten starts so far. In doing so, he registered the fastest time amongst those who have tackled this distance before and from a nice gate, can drop in behind the leaders again and run on. (8) VIEW AMAZING comes in off a much-improved 2nd place at this distance on May 27th, when on pace throughout. He should be on the speed here and can be in this a long way. (6) STAR CATCH has shown good consistency across her most recent outings. Last time out on May 29th at 1300M, she settled back in the pack and ran through the line well for 3rd. She steps up to 1400M for the first time and it may suit. (10) CITY BLADE and (7) AGAIN HELEN are others in at least the placing calculations.
|Selections||(4) Milk Day (8) View Amazing (6) Star Catch (10) City Blade|
|Next Best||7, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 8, 11|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(2) LOST WAR might have a depressing name and might indeed have lost all fifteen starts to date, but her recent form reads well, and she beat a couple of these on her way to 4th at this class last time out. She comes into a better gate today and she has as good a chance as any. There may be more upside about (6) TTEOOREUDA though. She’s only raced five times and while her form has been mixed, she has a runner-up finish to her name at this distance. She settled midfield that day instead of getting too far back like she did when 6th on her latest outing at 1400M and with similar tactics, she can be a big danger here. (12) YAMUJIN WANGCHO was 5th behind Lost War on May 21st, his best finish to date. The distance seemed to suit, and he can build on that today. (4) MIRACLE K and (1) BANGTAN YEOGEOL others who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(2) Lost War (6) Tteooreuda (12) Yamujin Wangcho (4) Miracle K|
|Next Best||1, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 12|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
A very tricky race with any number of potential winners. Without much confidence, we’ll go with (9) RUN AND GUN. Yet to finish in the top-two, she does have no fewer than ten top-five finishes to her name. She comes in following a decent 4th place at 1200M on May 27th and has also run a good time at this distance. The draw shouldn’t be a problem and she has as much chance as any here. (8) GEUMBIT SKY has the fastest time at the distance and enters having run 3rd and 4th in his latest two, both at class and distance. He likes to settle back in his races, he has a strong finish, and he is a big chance here. (2) TWO TWO COIN comes up in class having secured his maiden win over 200M on May 27th when on pace throughout. That win had been coming and he can measure up in this company. (7) RAON THE FLASH and (5) QUALITY QUEEN are others to consider.
|Selections||(9) Run And Gun (8) Geumbit Sky (2) Two Two Coin (7) Raon The Flash|
|Next Best||5, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 7, 11|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Another tricky race although (4) YONGAM BOSS probably just about warrants the pick and will be favourite. He is a winner at this distance at class 6 level three starts back and since then has a 3rd and a 2nd both at this class and distance and in contrasting styles. He does come up 2kg, but he is the one to beat. (10) BLUE INDY comes up in class and in distance having won at start number two over 1200M on May 22nd. He has a strong finish on him, and the wide draw shouldn’t be an issue and he can measure up in this company. (12) BE CRAZY was a very fast all the way winner over 1200M in March before running 4th on his first try at this class, again at 1200M on May 29th. He may need a touch of luck at the start here, but he certainly has the ability to go close. (7) SEMYEONG NARAE gets a slightly better gate than her latest two when 2nd and 4th both at class and distance and she can be involved in the finish again here. (2) ORGALIM another in the frame.
|Selections||(4) Yongam Boss (10) Blue Indy (12) Be Crazy (7) Semyeong Narae|
|Next Best||2, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 12|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(7) CUTE GUY comes up in class having made all over this distance to get his maiden win in emphatic style at start number two on May 27th, having narrowly been beaten into 2nd on debut. He’ll be on pace here and the manner of that win suggests there is plenty more development to come. (9) MAGIC WHISPER is up in class too having broken through at the fourth time of asking over this distance on May 20th. He too made all and should be able to measure up in this company. (11) RAON THE FIGHTING lead for much of the way around over a mile on his latest start before weakening and being passed late on. He drops back today to a distance at which he has won in the past and he can go close here. (5) ALL CROWN and (12) GEUMA INFINITE, two more up in class following maiden wins, are among others in the hunt.
|Selections||(7) Cute Guy (9) Magic Whisper (11) Raon The Fighting (5) All Crown|
|Next Best||12, 4|
|Fast Start||4, 7, 9, 11|
Seoul Race 6: Class 7 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Good race. (11) RISING HAWK comes up to two-turns for the first time following a good 2nd place over 1300M at this class on June 5th. She has been versatile in her running style so far and the trip may suit while the draw shouldn’t be too much of an inconvenience. An apprentice keeps her weight low, and she has winning chances here. Draw a line through the latest effort by (2) RUNNING NUMBER ONE when beaten by plenty of these on May 28th at class and distance. He was favourite that day based on his previous solid form at the distance and can be given another chance today. (9) ADELE MUSTANG was 2nd in that May 28th race. He has a strong finish on him and while he does come up 2kg in the weights, should be in the finish again here. (6) SINUI HANSU and (5) VIKING HEART are others to take into consideration.
|Selections||(11) Rising Hawk (2) Running Number One (9) Adele Mustang (6) Sinui Hansu|
|Next Best||5, 3|
|Fast Start||6, 8, 9, 11|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) WONDERFUL RAISE is a winner of two and ran 4th in the Luna Stakes, the first leg of the filly Triple Crown. She got badly checked in the Korean Oaks, finishing back in the pack and then last start led over a mile, ultimately finishing a close 3rd. She has won over this distance and can return to winning ways today. (10) RAON THE BOSS has his share of weight on his back, but he is a winner of three. He returns to action following a lengthy absence of eight months, but he looked very well when winning a trial in a fast time in late May. If he is anything near match-fit, then he is a danger. (5) HANEUL GANGJA has been ultra-consistent and while he is up in class here, he is significantly down in weight. He draws nicely and should be in the finish. (7) CAPTAIN STEALTH was a winner at class and distance at his latest start. He comes up in weight today but should be equal to that task and has claims. (1) B.K. NEW MOON among others in the hunt.
|Selections||(2) Wonderful Raise (10) Raon The Boss (5) Haneul Gangja (7) Captain Stealth|
|Next Best||1, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 7: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Competitive race with two standouts. (6) FLY STAR enters off a 3rd place at this class over 1300M on May 28th when handy throughout and briefly leading in the closing stages. He does come up slightly in weight here but draws well and he certainly has enough speed to be a winner at this class. So too does (1) DREAM YEOWANG, who has very similar form and also ran 3rd last start at this class, in her case over today’s distance. She’s drawn very well, gets 3kg from Fly Star, and she is the big danger here. (4) NEW STAR YEONGCHEON races for the first time since suffering a setback when last over 1300M back in February. He looked well enough when trialling just last week and he has plenty of gate speed so will be expected to try to lead here. He could offer some value at a probable each-way price. (9) B.J. STORM and (7) JANGSU NABOM are others who have claims.
|Selections||(6) Fly Star (1) Dream Yeowang (4) New Star Yeongcheon (9) B.J. Storm|
|Next Best||7, 3|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 7, 10|
Busan Race 6: Class Open (1800M) Mayor’s Cup (KOR-G2) Weight for Age / KRW 600 Million
Arguably the race of the year so far. (3) WINNER’S MAN won the Derby last year and is three for three this term, winning both the Listed Herald Business and G3 YTN Cup, both at 2000M in Seoul along the way with plenty of today’s rivals behind him. An on-pace galloper, he is well drawn, in-form, race fit and the one to beat. (5) SIMJANGUI GODONG has been racing in peak form and last start put in a terrific run at a Sprint distance. He comes back to his preferred to turns here and since winning the President’s Cup last November has subsequently won two more Class 1 staying races. Well drawn, he is a big chance. (9) HAENGBOK WANGJA won the Grand Prix over 2300M in December and has maintained his form since. With two runner-up finishes behind Simjangui Godong and Winner’s Man. He drops weight on his last run and should be kept safe here. (11) SUCCESS MACHO is a progressive galloper sweeping all before him with nine wins from ten starts. His only defeat came on his previous try in Group company, but he is ready for another crack here. (1) TUHONUI BANSEOK is flying through the classes and has posted a couple of super times in his latest wins at this distance. This is a big leap up in terms of opposition, but he is very well drawn and could surprise. (2) HIT YEGAM may be available at an each-way price – disregard his latest couple over Sprint journeys and look on his Classic form from last year winning two of them and running 2nd in the Derby.
|Selections||(3) Winner’s Man (5) Simjangui Godong (9) Haengbok Wangja (11) Success Macho|
|Next Best||1, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 13|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(2) JILJU BORN led almost the entire way around on his latest start on May 29th, ultimately ending up in 3rd place. He has posted some super times at this distance, should be on pace again from a great draw, and can win. (4) SPEED FALCON is the other standout. She has been super-consistent across her seven outings so far, never finishing any worse than 4th. She drops back in trip today but should be up challenging Jilju Born for the lead, and she has solid claims of her own. (1) DAESARI won his first two races in fine style before suffering his first reverse on his first try at this class over 1400M on May 28th. He wasn’t quick away that day and didn’t run on but back in trip and from a good draw and under a light weight, is worthy of another chance. (5) WONDER K and (3) DUSON FANTASTIC are others in at least the placing hunt.
|Selections||(2) Jilju Born (4) Speed Falcon (1) Daesari (5) Wonder K|
|Next Best||3, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4, 5|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(3) NAMSAN SIDAE will be a warm favourite here. He has a 4th and a 2nd in two starts since returning from a five-month absence and could well be peaking here. He has never been outside the top four and from probable forward position from a good draw, he is very much the one to beat. (8) RAON BEAT is a potential danger. He is a winner at this distance at class 4 level and has posted decent times. He got too far back over 1400M last time out but should be a different prospect today. Along with Raon Beat, (4) CHUNSAN is the only other one here to have won at this distance already and that’s enough to put her into contention. Her recent form has been solid, if unspectacular and she can run into a place. (7) YAHO GOLDEN CAT and (5) LUISA are other placing contenders.
|Selections||(3) Namsan Sidae (8) Raon Beat (4) Chunsan (7) Yaho Golden Cat|
|Next Best||5, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 7|
Seoul Race 10: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(7) JANGSAN MONSTER is yet to win in fourteen starts but is working up to it having placed at this class and distance in each of his last three starts. He goes better when racing forwards and with most of the early speed on his outside here, he could find a nice position and can be considered for a maiden win. (9) JANGSAN POISON is a winner of two from seven and comes in after a very narrow 2nd at class and distance on May 28th. Although he comes up 2kg, he meets that day’s winner 1.5kg better, and that may be enough to make the difference. That winner was (8) PERFECT POWER, who was scoring for the second consecutive time and first at this class. He is up in the weights here and drawn a bit wider but can settle midfield and do his best work late on again. A hat-trick isn’t impossible. (1) THE QUEEN JUSTICE is a mare who does tend to get a bit far back in her races, but she showed marked improvement last start when running on for a close 3rd. A repeat of that run would put her in the picture here. (5) UNCLE BELL perhaps the best of the rest.
|Selections||(7) Jangsan Monster (9) Jangsan Poison (8) Perfect Power (1) The Queen Justice|
|Next Best||5, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 9, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 11: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(6) SECRET BOSS is very consistent having been in the top-four on nine of eleven outings to date. He likes to settle midfield and run on and the 3kg claim of an in-form apprentice can only be to his benefit. He has a big chance here. (1) HYPER CAR comes up in class having won over this distance on May 21st when he settled handy to the lead and finished well. He is down slightly in weight and once again draws the inside gate and can be considered. (4) MIGHTY SUNSHINE is another up in class and down in weight. He had been working towards that win, which was his second, and he can settle behind the leaders and run on well here. (12) VICS GO is a winner of two from five so far and last start wasn’t very happy in the wet conditions over 1700M. It might be a bit damp again, but the drop back to 1400M can suit and while he has the steadier of barrier twelve, he shouldn’t be dismissed. (5) MAGIC JUNIOR another in the hunt.
|Selections||(6) Secret Boss (1) Hyper Car (4) Mighty Sunshine (12) Vics Go|
|Next Best||5, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 8, 9|