Sunday sees the final leg of the 2022 Korean Triple Crown, the Minister’s Cup. Click here for a full preview of the big race. The Cup is the highlight of a 10-race Sunday program at Seoul which runs from 10:45 to 18:00. There are also 6 races at Busan from 11:35 to 16:30. Here is the race-by-race:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Maiden three-year-olds to open the card. (5) CHADOL RUN will be the favourite based on his 3rd place over this distance on May 15th when he settled back in a similarly small field and then ran on well. He has previously posted a faster time at this distance and in this limited company looks the one to beat. (3) CASH BACK has two 3rd places to his name including at this latest start at this distance on March 6th. That’s enough to put him in contention here and he comes in fresh and down 3kg with an apprentice claim. (1) JEWELRY BEST was an improved 4th and from the inside gate can drop back and run on here. (4) BARAMSAL and (2) TIGER ZONE other potentials.
|Selections||(5) Chadol Run (3) Cash Back (1) Jewelry Best (4) Baramsal|
|Next Best||2, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(3) FLASH THUNDER went back to trial following his debut race in March and looked assured on his return when leading for much of the way around over 1300M on May 14th. He should have come on from that, will benefit from the slight drop in trip, and from a good draw can lead all the way this time. (1) POSA POSA has mixed his form across eleven starts to date with the best being a 2nd place over 1400M back in March. An apprentice claims 3kg here and from a good draw, he should be in this a long way. (2) MIGHTY ANN ran an improved 3rd at start number three over 1200M on May 14th. She looks nicely in here and won’t need to improve much to match or better that finish. (4) BIG ENERGY has found some consistency in his latest starts with a 3rd and two 4th placed finishes. He has run fair times at this distance and from a decent draw looks to have a chance here. (6) BURUI SINHWA has been back to trial since his latest outing and looked well enough when running 2nd in a fair time in a decent heat in May.
|Selections||(3) Flash Thunder (1) Posa Posa (2) Mighty Ann (4) Big Energy|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 7, 8|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(10) WIND CROSS has shown consistency across his four starts so far culminating in a runner up finish at this distance at his latest start on April 24th. He has the fastest time among these at the distance by some margin and looks hard to go past here and will be a hot favourite. (1) HOLLYWOOD PARTY did improve at start number two, running 5th of ten over this distance on April 29th. She draws nicely to get a soft run to the lead and should be going closer today. (9) SINUI JEONSA ran 3rd behind Wind Cross in that April 24th race. Unlike the favourite, he has raced since and while he didn’t go well that day, weakening badly after leading, he can be given another chance in this company. (4) PRETTY CHARM has hinted at ability across her four outings so far and along with (7) SORI TAPEUNG looks a place chance here.
|Selections||(10) Wind Cross (1) Hollywood Party (9) Sinui Jeonsa (4) Pretty Charm|
|Next Best||7, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 9, 10, 11|
Seoul Race 3: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Tricky race. We’ll take a chance on (10) ONLY WINNER. True, he has been anything but a winner in fifteen starts so far, but he has eight top-four finishes to his name, and he runs on well. The wide draw shouldn’t be an issue and he can be considered here. The probable favourite is (12) JISANGUN. He can mix his form but has posted some decent times over 1200M and 1400M. This is his first try at 1300M. He does tend to go best when on pace so he may need a touch of luck in the early stages from the widest gate, but he has the speed to get a good position. (3) BARAMGWA HAMKKE had a poor day at the office on his latest start back in April. He has since been back to trial which he won, making all in a fair time, and from a good draw can be back to some semblance of form today. (7) WONDERFUL STORM and (9) DESK TAP others in the minor money frame.
|Selections||(10) Only Winner (12) Jisangun (3) Baramgwa Hamkke (7) Wonderful Storm|
|Next Best||9, 5|
|Fast Start||5, 9, 11, 12|
Busan Race 2: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Fillies only here and (4) YASAENGHWA looks the one to beat. She got her maiden win at start number two over this distance on April 29th when she sat handy early, before taking the lead turning into the home straight, and then running away from the field to score as easily as she pleased. She then ran a good 2nd on her first try at this class over 1400M. She comes back in trip, gets a much better gate and should be hard to get past. (9) PYEONGHWA CHUKJE comes up in class after registering her maiden win on her third career appearance on May 13th when she led early, then sat handy, before rallying strongly. Nicely weighted here, she should be challenging for the early lead and can surely measure up at this level. (11) NAMED enters off back-to-back 4th places at this class and has run a decent time from a wide draw over this distance before. (3) BORAMI beat Named two starts back and while up 4kg from her 4th place at 1200M on May 13th, can be considered too. (2) PICTURE JASPER another in the placing hunt.
|Selections||(4) Yasaenghwa (9) Pyeonghwa Chukje (11) Named (3) Borami|
|Next Best||2, 8|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 9, 11|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(9) SOJUNGHAN DANGSIN got promoted to this class without a win but showed she belongs with a runner-up finish at class and distance on May 8th when she was in 2nd place the entire way around. Like a number of others here, she is very nicely treated by the handicap here and has every chance of getting that maiden win today. That applies to (2) K N POST too. It took her a couple of goes to figure things out, but she gets promoted to this level following back-to-back runner-up finishes over 1200M. Her style has been to go back and then tun on and the extended trip today may just suit her. (3) NINE EYE is another maiden but has run 2nd on no fewer than five occasions. He hinted at a return to form when 4th over 1300M at his latest start on May 28th and he can be close here. (7) SMART POWER and (8) GOLD WING are others who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(9) Sojunghan Dangsin (2) K N Post (3) Nine Eye (7) Smart Power|
|Next Best||8, 4|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 8, 9|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Small but competitive field. (4) LINE BREAKER comes up in class having secured her maiden win over 1300M on May 15th. That win had been coming as she had been getting progressively closer and while this is harder, she has run well at this distance before. She should be on pace and can win. (5) CHEONNYEONUIGUREUM is yet to win in a full twenty-three starts but has twelve top-five finishes and has been a model of consistency of late. She overcame the widest draw to run a very good 5th at this distance last time out on May 29th and she will be there or thereabouts again today. (6) GREAT CAPTAIN comes up in class having made all to win over 1300M on May 8th. Just like Line Breaker, that win had been coming and she should measure up at this class especially with the same apprentice who partnered her last time, claiming 3kg. (9) GOSUUI POWER and (2) ECHO LADY among others who can go close.
|Selections||(4) Line Breaker (5) Cheonnyeonuigureum (6) Great Captain (9) Gosuui Power|
|Next Best||2, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 6, 9|
Seoul Race 5: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
A winner of two of his latest four, (5) FOX POWER is the one to beat here. His latest win was at class and distance on May 1st when he came from midfield to run on and claim a narrow score and while he comes up 3.5kg in the weights today, he should be able to overcome it and win again. (2) SEOUL CROWN was a fine winner at this distance at class 5 level two starts back before running a solid 2nd on his first try at this class on May 7th. He was a long way behind that day’s winner Wonpyeong Gasok, but that horse has gone on to win again and looks a talent. Seoul Crown draws well here and should go close. (6) K N MAGIC has no fewer than ten top-four finishes from twelve starts. She has plenty of experience of money finishes at this class and won’t be far away again. (4) JANGSAN MONSTER and (10) CHEONJI ULLIM are others to take into account.
|Selections||(5) Fox Power (2) Seoul Crown (6) K N Magic (4) Jangsan Monster|
|Next Best||10, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 9, 10|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) GOLD PRINCE is two starts into this preparation having missed almost a year before returning in April and may be peaking here. Since coming back, he has finished 4th and 5th, both at class and distance. He beat two today’s rivals on his latest outing on May 13th, when he settled back and ran on and under a light weight and from an excellent draw, he can get a soft run to a spot behind the early leaders and then run on strongly. The main sanger looks to be (9) DONGNAM BULPAE. He was a good winner in a fast time over this distance at class 5 level back in January and then didn’t race again until April 1st when he ran on smartly for 5th on his first try at this class over 1200M. He has had another couple of months off since so comes in fresh and has a great finish on him. (5) QUEEN MARVEL IJI was 6th behind Gold Prince on May 13th and can get go close today while (3) WINNER’S TIME and (8) DONGBANUI SIJAK are others in the frame.
|Selections||(1) Gold Prince (9) Dongnam Bulpae (5) Queen Marvel Iji (3) Winner’s Time|
|Next Best||8, 4|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(9) PURPLE K comes in here seeking a third consecutive win having scored at this distance in both her latest two starts over this distance, first at class 5 and then most recently at this level in an all-filly race on April 24th. She comes up significantly in the weights here and may need a touch of luck from the wide draw, but she has every chance of winning again. (3) YEONGGWANGUI MISO was an also-ran in last November’s Korean Oaks, and she has some decent finishes to her name at this class. From a good draw she should be able to pick her spot behind the early leaders and then run on. One of those early leaders will probably be (7) SOBERANIA. She comes up in class following back-to-back runner-up finishes at this distance, being caught late on both times and under a light weight, she can be in this a long way. (5) BEST CHEONSANG and (6) GLOBAL SUN others to keep safe.
|Selections||(9) Purple K (3) Yeonggwanui Miso (7) Soberania (5) Best Cheonsang|
|Next Best||6, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 7, 9|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(6) RAON THE TANK is a winner of two of his last four starts and was a close 2nd on his latest start at this class over 1400M on May 8th when hampered at the start. He steps up in distance but he has been running on in his races suggesting that a mile is within his scope and he can win here. (4) OLD CHEONHA beat a couple of these on his way to 2nd place at class and distance two starts back before weakening late on last time out when stepped up to 1800M. He draws well here and has the assistance of an apprentice claim and he looks firmly in this. (1) WIND HIGH won at class and distance on April 10th with Old Cheonha and Toham Star among those behind him. Disregard her latest outing over 1800M as this should suit better and the inside gate can give her a soft early run. (3) WAKANDA doesn’t win out of turn but better suited today at the mile than he has been in his last two at 1800M.He is down in the weights and can race handy here. (9) DAEHO JEONSEOL another to consider.
|Selections||(6) Raon The Tank (4) Old Cheonha (1) Wind High (3) Wakanda|
|Next Best||9, 5|
|Fast Start||7, 8, 9, 12|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) BEOLMAL DAEJANG gets the nod here. He is yet to win in fifteen attempts but has only finished outside the top five on one occasion. He carries a light weight, draws beautifully and it’s not impossible it could be his day at last. (9) WONDERFUL DEVIL is the big danger and will probably be the betting favourite. She comes in off a good 2nd place at class and distance on May 8th when she settled back and ran on strong. Her racing style means the wide draw shouldn’t be a problem and she will be a big threat late on. (5) JOEUN GWANGYE comes up in class following a front-running win over this distance on April 17th when handy throughout. That was his maiden breakthrough at start fifteen, but he should be competitive for a place at this level. (8) MAGIC JOY is another who has won at the distance and along with (2) SUPER ECTON, is one to keep safe.
|Selections||(1) Beolmal Daejang (9) Wonderful Devil (5) Joeun Gwangye (8) Magic Joy|
|Next Best||2, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 6|
Busan Race 6: Class 1 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 110 Million
(4) DOMINATION officially steps up in class here following three consecutive runner-up finishes (one of them in class 1), all over this distance. The horses who beat him, Success Macho (twice) and Tunhonui Banseok, are good though and he has beaten quite a few of today’s rivals already, specifically when he stepped up above his class on April. He comes down in the weights and in a thin race, has real claims. (7) KING OF GLORY is a five-time winner at class 1 level. An apprentice jockey takes the edge off the weights here and he comes in off a last start 2nd place over 1400M which was his first outing since last December. He should strip fitter for that run and while he is now a seven-year-old, he could have the beating of these (6) CRAZY CONTI doesn’t win many but like most here, he does boast some recent solid form at this class. He was 2nd to Success Macho over 2000M last time out on May 15th and has placing chances again. (1) PRO CONSUL has been back to trial since his latest start and he looked good in it. He has a win and six placings at this class so can be taken on trust. (8) ALPHAKING IJI another in the frame.
|Selections||(4) Domination (7) King Of Glory (6) Crazy Conti (1) Pro Consul|
|Next Best||8, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 7|
Seoul Race 8: Class Open (2000M) Minister’s Cup (KOR G2) Allowance / KRW 600 Million
The final leg of the 2022 Triple Crown. (6) WINNER STAR was wide all the way in the Derby, which he won pulling away. He was simply too good that day and has a much better draw here so can perhaps get a softer run and not have to cover so much excess ground. The extra furlong should not be a concern and he can win. (7) SEUNGBUSA has progressed markedly. With loads of natural speed, he won the Listed Sports Seoul Cup and then ran a solid 3rd in the KRA Cup Mile, when he led and then led again in the Derby, ultimately finishing 2nd. He will have derived benefit from that run and while the distance may be a concern given that he has been passed twice at shorter distances, he shouldn’t be dismissed. (5) WOW WOW skipped the Cup Mile but put in a terrific run in the Derby from the widest gate to run on for 5th and just a neck away from 4th. He gets a better barrier today and has won when racing forward. He has a chance. (10) CAPTAIN YANKEE will have a lot of support. He won the KRA Cup Mile with a powerful late run and was then a good 3rd in the Derby, running on at the finish. The extra distance can suit, and it isn’t impossible to imagine a scenario where he runs away with this. (8) COMPLETE VALUE was sent off as favourite for both Cup Mile and Derby and there was plenty of merit in both runs. He can go close. (4) TIZ BAROWS was an excellent 4th in the Derby and is another in the frame.
|Selections||(6) Winner Star (7) Seungbusa (5) Wow Wow (10) Captain Yankee|
|Next Best||8, 4|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(7) ROCKUI JEWANG comes in having won at class and distance on May 15th, beating three of today’s rivals in the process. From a wide draw, he settled back in the pack and then ran on strong for a narrow win. That is his style so he may need some luck in the run, and he does come up 2kg in the weights, but he has posted fast times at the distance, and he can win again. (11) THUNDER CHAMP comes up rapidly in class having won her latest two in fine style, both at this distance. She will need to improve here, and the draw is not ideal, but she comes down significantly in the weights and a bold showing is possible. (5) MUNHAK FIRE ran 3rd behind Rockui Jewang in that May 15th race. He is rarely far away – he has finished 4th on no fewer than eight occasions – and will be in the hunt again. (6) DAEJIUI YEOIN can have a line drawn through her latest over 1800M and be given another chance here while (4) FINAL CANGINO is another in the placing frame.
|Selections||(7) Rockui Jewang (11) Thunder Champ (5) Munhak Fire (6) Daejiui Yeoin|
|Next Best||4, 8|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 10, 11|
Seoul Race 10: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(6) HEUNGBARAGI was one of last season’s best three-year-olds and he resumes here for the first time since running a close 3rd in the delayed Korean Derby in November. Never outside the top three, he is nicely weighted for his first venture into regular class 1, and he ran well enough in a trial in late April. No doubt he’ll need this, but he can win. (3) LEGEND DAY is worth thought on recent placings at this class including a last start 3rd place over 1200M on May 8th. He draws well again and should be on the early speed. (5) RAON TAP MAN was 2nd in that 1200M race on May 8th, having been handy throughout in what was his first start since December. He carries a very light weight again and looks right in this. The veteran (2) MASK comes to notice with two 4th places and a 5th from his latest three at this class, two of them at this distance. He does come up in the weights today but warrants consideration. (9) ROLLER BLADE among others in the frame.
|Selections||(6) Heungbaragi (3) Legend Day (5) Raon Tap Man (2) Mask|
|Next Best||9, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 9, 10|