The Queens’ Tour for fillies and mares gets underway on Sunday and Raon First will be hot favourite to score in the Ttukseom Cup (1400M KOR-G2). There are 11 races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00 and 6 at Busan from 11:35 to 16:15. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens in the opener and (11) MARUMA is the one to beat. He has the fastest time among these at the distance, recorded at his last start on April 23rd when he sat in 3rd place the entire way around. The wide draw shouldn’t be too much of an issue and he won’t need to improve too much on that to win here. (10) TRIPLE JOY has raced fairly in two starts so far, finishing in 3rd and 5th. He steps up to this distance for the first time and can make further progress. (9) OCHEONBOK has come from off the pace in both of her races to date, finishing 4th and then 2nd, the latter at this distance on April 30th. She has posted impressive final furlong times and so long as she doesn’t get too far back, can be a danger late on. (1) GEUMA CHIC and (7) KING HONOR are others to take into consideration.
|Selections||(11) Maruma (10) Triple Joy (9) Ocheonbok (1) Geuma Chic|
|Next Best||7, 12|
|Fast Start||6, 8, 9, 11|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(1) ACE PLAN has looked to be working towards a win from his latest few appearances, culminating in a 3rd place last time out on May 21st when he was an on-pace 3rd at this distance. He returns just two weeks later and from a better draw, should be on or close to the pace from the start and he will be favoured to win here. Coming out of the opposite end of the gate will be (12) APPLE MINT. He has started to hit some form in his latest two and an apprentice jockey brings the weight down considerably today. He has settled midfield or worse in those two recent outings so the wide draw may not be too much of an inconvenience. (6) NEOREUL EUNGWONHAE has four to-five finishes from six outings to date and can continue her solid run of form following a last start 3rd. (7) FLYING BARBIE and (11) TORUK MAKTO others in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(1) Ace Plan (12) Apple Mint (6) Neoreul Eongwonhae (7) Flying Barbie|
|Next Best||11, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 10, 11|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
A competitive maiden for three-year-olds gets things underway on the south coast. We’ll go with (8) WORLD FOUR A, who after participating in a fast trial to qualify in April, ran a good 2nd on debut at 1200M on May 22nd when he was on pace throughout and led in the straight. He should have come on for that run and with some natural improvement can win here. (4) TRIPLE THUNDER is yet to finish any worse than 5th in four career outings. He was an on-pace 2nd at this distance on May 8th and form a nice draw, will be expected to be on the early speed again and to be in this a long way. (11) DOCTOR PERSIA has run fairly across three starts. He got a long way back last time out but ran on well enough for 5th and if given slightly more of a chance here, can get closer. (2) MAHAMERU and (1) WIND WINNER are others to consider.
|Selections||(8) World Four A (4) Triple Thunder (11) Doctor Persia (2) Mahameru|
|Next Best||1, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(12) GLOBAL PRIME returned from a couple of months out to run an improved 2nd in what was an admittedly slow race at this distance on April 10th. He had hinted at a bit of speed before though and despite the wide draw, in this company, he has every chance. (4) SPEED GALLOP has finished outside the top-five only once in five attempts so far. At her latest appearance back in February, she ran a good 3rd at this distance in an all-fily race having sat back from a wide draw. She comes in fresh here and can go close. (2) YONGCHEON JISANG was a much-improved 2nd at start number three on May 8th at this distance. He should have come on for that experience and can aim for at least the places again. (8) EPIPHANY and (6) KING MOUNTAIN are among others who may be considered for the minors.
|Selections||(12) Global Prime (4) Speed Gallop (2) Yongcheon Jisang (8) Epiphany|
|Next Best||6, 3|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 11, 12|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Fillies (and two mares) only here. It’s a full sixty-seven weeks since we saw (7) BLACK OLIVE make her one solitary appearance, but it was memorable as she led from gate to wire over 1000M scoring comfortably. Her setbacks hopefully behind, she caught the eye when fairly bolting up in a barrier trial in late April and having won first-up before, she can do so again, especially as she gets another crack at class 6 what with that race last year being run for significantly reduced prize money. (12) FANTASTIC MAGIC has hinted at ability across seven outings so far. She ran a good 4th at her latest on May 15th and can be running on well here. (9) HAPPY SONG SONG seemed to take a few goes to figure out what she’s supposed to do but she now has a pair of 3rd place finishes and a 4th from her latest three. (11) SEUNGRIUI BULGIL and (5) TAKE ADELE others who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(7) Black Olive (12) Fantastic Magic (9) Happy Song Song (11) Seungriui Bulgil|
|Next Best||5, 4|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
A competitive race here with two standouts. We’ll tentatively side with (2) WILD SOCKS. He was a winner at this distance at class 6 level and comes in off a good 2nd place at 1300M at this class on May 21st when he settled midfield and ran on. He draws nicely here and can win. The big danger in (5) WONDERFUL KITTY. She may be yet to win in six starts but has three-runner-up finishes to her name, including on her latest start at class and distance on May 8th when, as has tended to be her style, she went right back and finished fast. An apprentice jockey brings her weight right down today and that could be crucial when she launches her late challenge. (10) TOUCH NINE comes up in class after a good win over this distance on May 15th. He drew wide that day as well and can measure up in this company. (9) GLOBAL BOBAE and (6) RIVER TAEYANG are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(2) Wild Socks (5) Wonderful Kitty (10) Touch Nine (9) Global Bobae|
|Next Best||6, 1|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 6, 8|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
It’s hard to go too far past (11) DONGBU WORLD here. While he does remain a maiden after five attempts, he is yet to finish outside the top-four and has three runner-up finishes. That includes his latest outing, which was at this class and distance on May 13th when he was on pace throughout and went down narrowly. He does come up 2kg in the weights and may need a touch of luck at the start, given the wide draw, but he is still the one to beat. (3) ACE GUY races for the first time since last September. He had put together a good run of form before the layoff and looked well when trialing up at the end of April. He has a strong finish on him and a bold-showing is possible first-up here. (6) YOUNG BOSS has got a bit far back in his latest two races but there is ability there and he has won at this distance. He may be worth another chance here at a probable each-way price. (5) MONEY BAG and (1) MAJOR FORCE among others with placing chances.
|Selections||(11) Dongbu World (3) Ace Guy (6) Young Boss (5) Money Bag|
|Next Best||1, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 8, 11|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Fillies and mares only here. (5) SIRIUS ALPHA got her maiden win two starts back over 1200M at class 6 level with an on-pace run and then overcame the widest gate to lead until the closing stages on her first try at this level over 1400M on May 1st. She looks nicely in here from a better draw to get to the lead and she may well go all the way. (3) WILD RUNNER comes up in class following smart win over 1200M when odds-on favourite at start number three on April 23rd. She stalked the leader before striking the front a furlong out and running away for a comfortable win. This is harder but she draws well to be on pace again and should measure up in this company. (4) CONCORD QUEEN weakened when in a promising position over 1400M on her first try at this class on May 1st. She was favourite that day having been a strong winner at class 6 over 1200M the time before and can be given another chance today. (8) CHEONEUNCHONG and (7) RISING HAWK others to look out for.
|Selections||(5) Sirius Alpha (3) Wild Runner (4) Concord Queen (8) Cheoneunchong|
|Next Best||7, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 10|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Open race. We’ll take chance at odds on (12) GREAT GO, who might be a twenty-three-race maiden, but she goes well at this distance especially and has plenty of money finishes to her name. The wide draw may not be too much of a problem and she can work home well. Probable favourite is (7) ILNYEOM CHEONHA. Her latest two results may not be especially inspiring, but she comes back in trip today and this looks a more suitable assignment. She has placed at this class and should be close by, probably getting onto the early speed. (6) CHEONMA HASEO enters off a good 2nd over 1300M when he sat towards the rear of midfield early and then ran on. He has a runner-up finish at class and distance to his name as recently as April 1st and while he does carry an additional 4kg this time, he can be a danger. (11) BARBELL POSEIDON and (10) DONGBU STAR are among others to consider.
|Selections||(12) Great Go (7) Ilnyeom Cheonha (6) Cheonma Haseo (11) Barbell Poseidon|
|Next Best||10, 8|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(8) FOREVER KHAN enters off back-to-back 3rd place finishes at class and distance, both times settling close to the pace and running on. He does come up slightly in the weights today but looks to have a win in him at this level and it could come here. (2) NAUI NARA was a winner over this distance in February at class 6 level before running a close 2nd at class and distance in March. At his latest on May 7th, he worked hard to get to the lead but ran out of petrol in the closing stages. He has a better draw today and while he still carries plenty of weight, can be given another chance. (1) DELPHINI ran on well for 3rd over 1300M on her return to action following five months out on May 8th. The two-turns may be what she needs and should go well at an each-way price here. (9) TINA remains a maiden after twelve attempts but enters in consistent form, with a 2nd and a 3rd from her latest two, at 1300M and 1400M, both at this class. She too steps up to two turns for the first time and can be competitive. (6) ACE POWERFUL another to look out for.
|Selections||(8) Forever Khan (2) Naui Nara (1) Delphini (9) Tina|
|Next Best||6, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 8, 9|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(5) WONDERFUL RAISE ran a good 4th from a wide gate in the Luna Stakes over a mile in April leading her to relatively well-fancied for the Korean Oaks on May 8th. She failed to lay a blow in that race, finishing well back in the field but returns to much shallower waters today, carrying a light weight, drawing a good gate, and looking very much the one to beat. (2) SEONGSIL SIHWA comes up rapidly in class having won her latest two at 1200M and 1300M respectively. He running style suggests the additional distance should not be a concern and she can measure up at this class. (12) AFLEET TAPIT was 3rd at this class over 1400M on her latest start on May 8th. She has previously placed at a mile too and has a strong finish so the wide draw may not be too much if an impediment. (3) CHEONGDAM DRIVE and (6) TRIUMPH CAT are among others who can be considered.
|Selections||(5) Wonderful Raise (2) Seongsil Sihwa (12) Afleet Tapit (3) Cheongdam Drive|
|Next Best||6, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) LUCKY JAESAN won three of her first four races and is two starts into a comeback following seven months out. She very much needed the first of those before improving in the second when 3rd at this distance on April 2nd. She can be peaking here and from a great draw is ready to return to the winner’s circle. (9) BEST TIME doesn’t exactly win out of turn but is a consistent performer who is rarely far away. She ran a solid 3rd place at class and distance when settling back and running on last time out on May 8th and has the strongest finish among these. She will surely be close again. (7) JEDI FORCE was scarcely involved when drawn wide on her first try at 1400M on April 30th. She had previously shown some promise at this distance and from a slightly better gate can improve today. (3) DOKKAEBE race for the first time since last November. He had lost his way somewhat before the layoff but looked very well when making all in a May trial and under a light weight could go well first up and probably good odds. (6) CHEONGCHUN VIVA another in the frame.
|Selections||(1) Lucky Jaesan (9) Best Time (7) Jedi Force (3) Dokkaebe|
|Next Best||6, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 6|
Busan Race 6: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
Both of (1) LUCAS SUN’s wins have been over this distance and has been a very good 2022 for him so far. Following those back-to-back scores which got him rapidly promoted, he proved that he measures up at this level with a 4th and a 3rd in two subsequent starts at this class and distance. From the inside gate he can settle behind the early speed and could prove too strong late on. (5) SONHADOR comes up in class and up in trip to two-turns for the first time. She was a strong winner over 1400M at her latest outing on April 29th. She has seven top-four finishes from ten starts and while a previous effort over a mile was only fair, she could be ready for a crack at the extended distance here. (6) DOCTOR FAITH has won at this distance at class 5 level but in a time that would be competitive her. He goes best when on pace, something he was unable to do at his latest outing over 1400M and with a better start should go much closer here. (8) ECOPIA and (4) GIJEOKUI JEOKTOMA are others to look out for in this small field.
|Selections||(1) Lucas Sun (5) Sonhador (6) Doctor Faith (8) Ecopia|
|Next Best||4, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(6) ALEXANDER ONE raced once, adequately, last November and then didn’t reappear until April 23rd, when he ran 2nd in a good time at class and distance, coming from well off the pace and running on strongly. He should have come on for that run and will probably be a little more forward earlier today. He is the one to beat. (3) NONSTOP REWARD has posted an equally fast time at the distance and enters off back-to-back 4th places. He tends to get a bit far back in his races, but from an excellent draw today can improve. (9) MILKY SHERRY drops back to this trip for the first time in a long time. She was an on-pace runner-up over 1800M last time and can be competitive here. (5) LAST BOSS and (4) MUNHAK STORM are others who should be in the hunt for the places.
|Selections||(6) Alexander One (3) Nonstop Reward (9) Milky Sherry (5) Last Boss|
|Next Best||4, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 10|
Seoul Race 9: Class Open (1400M) Ttukseom Cup (KOR-G2) Allowance / KRW 600 Million
(8) RAON FIRST will start a short-price favourite here having won ten in total including her last four between 1200M and 1400M. She has proven superior to today’s most convincing rivals in the Jeju Govenor’s Cup in December and the Donga Ilbo Trophy in March and found time in between to beat the boys on The Segye Ilbo. She should be far too good once again. (6) CLEAR GEOM is one of few others who can measure up in class 1 and was working home well when runner-up in both the Jeju Governor’s and the Donga Ilbo. It’s hard to imagine she can beat Raon First at level weights, but she seems the most likely to get closest. (2) WISH ME is a lightly raced mare but she has worked her way up to class 2 level with five wins from nine starts. She draws well to be on pace and can be in this a long way. (9) EODIGANA won last December’s Gyeonggi Governor’s Cup having run 5th in the Oaks. She showed a return to form when 3rd in the Gold Circle Trophy over 1800M in April. While back in trip a repeat of that run will put her thereabouts. (13) BAREM enters having won at class 2 over 1400M last time out and while the draw is not kind, she can be respected here.
|Selections||(8) Raon First (6) Clear Geom (2) Wish Me (9) Eodigana|
|Next Best||13, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 8, 12|
Seoul Race 10: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(11) WONPYEONG GASOK was a tearaway winner last start, making all over 1400M to win by eight-lengths. He comes up in class and back in trip here and despite the wide draw, he will be hot favourite to strike again. (6) VICEROY has been very consistent of late. He showed improvement at his latest start on May 8th when he led for much of the way around at class and distance, ultimately finishing 2nd. He carries the same weight here, draws a good gate and gets his chance again. (12) ROCK LINE won that May 8th race when he sat back and then ran on. He comes up in weight and draws a bit wider but while that means he may need a touch of luck in the run, there isn’t much depth in this race, and he can go close again. (1) MIREU STORM was 5th in that May 8th race continuing a run of having been competitive. He drops slightly in weight and has the benefit of an inside draw which, given his pattern is to settle back, should give him a softer run early and put him in contention later. (4) MORNING HILL another with strong placing claims.
|Selections||(11) Wonpyeong Gasok (6) Viceroy (12) Rock Line (1) Mireu Storm|
|Next Best||4, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 6, 11|
Seoul Race 11: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(8) LUCKY YOUNG comes up in class following back-to-back wins over 1700M at class 4 level, both times settling well ack and then running on in good times. The additional half-furlong shouldn’t be an issue and while he draws wider, he should be competitive. (3) NAMSAN SIDAE has never finished outside the top-four in eight career appearances to date. He is second-up following five months out and his 4th place over 1400M on May 1st on his return should be ideal preparation for this. Set weights perhaps doesn’t treat him well but he draws nicely and has a big chance. (6) ACE HAMSEONG is a similarly consistent type and at his last start on April 24th, he was a close 2nd when he raced forward at this class and distance. He is one of only two in the field who has won at 1800M, and he is not to be dismissed here. (9) MUNHAK MOON is worth consideration following his return to form when a good 2nd at this class over 1700M on May 14th. He tends to go back and run on in his races so the barrier is not much of a concern. (2) TOP SEED another in contention.
|Selections||(8) Lucky Young (3) Namsan Sidae (6) Ace Hamseong (9) Munhak Moon|
|Next Best||2, 12|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 9, 11|