The second leg of the Stayer Series, the YTN Cup (2000M KOR-G3) highlights the 11-race Sunday card at Seoul which runs from 10:45 to 18:00 while at Busan there is a class 1 sprint headlining the 6-race program from 12:00 to 16:45. Click here for a runner-by-runner guide to the YTN Cup. Here is the race-by-race:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens open the program with four of the twelve racing for the very first time. (7) DAPHNE has hinted at some ability when 3rd over 1000M at start number three last December. She hasn’t raced since but looked well when 2nd in a trial on May 6th and from a likely on pace position, she has as good a chance as any here. (3) OKCHEON CHOEGANG has finished in 4th place in both outings so far, both of them over this distance and most recently when beating a couple of today’s rivals on April 30th. He’ll be challenging Daphne for the early lead and has every chance of going all the way. (6) CHOEGO BLACK was 5th behind Okcheon Choegang on what was his debut on April 30th. He should have come on for that run and can get closer today. Of the first-time starters, (4) EURO TEUKGEUP improved in his second trial and from a great draw can go well first up. (9) KINGS EYE another in the frame after an adequate debut.
|Selections||(7) Daphne (3) Okcheon Choegang (6) Choego Black (4) Euro Teukgeup|
|Next Best||9, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 7|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Filly maidens only here. (5) TIFFANY BLUE looks to be the one to beat following an on-pace narrow runner-up finish over 1300Mon April 10th. She has run well at this distance too and with an apprentice jockey taking 3kg off her back, she looks extremely well in here. (6) SWEET KAKAO similarly gets the benefit of an apprentice claim, in her case a full 4kg. That brings her down from her back-to-back 4th places in her latest two where she has settled behind the early speed and run on. There isn’t much early speed here so she should be on the pace and can go all the way. (10) NAMSAN KKOT was 5th behind Sweet Kakao on her latest appearance on May 1st having run 4th the time before that and should be in at least the placing frame here. (2) HAMPYEONG FIGHTER and (11) NAEGILUI BYEOL are others who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(5) Tiffany Blue (6) Sweet Kakao (10) Namsan Kkot (2) Hampyeong Fighter|
|Next Best||11, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5, 6|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
It has been a full forty-nine weeks since we last saw (7) VICTORY SAM in a race. He did quite well that day to, running 2nd over 1000M on her third career outing. She has had setbacks since but seemed very much over them with a bold showing in a trial on April 22nd when she led from gate to wire. She couldn’t really pick a nicer race to return in and despite her absence, she will be a strong favourite here. (4) SHINE MUSIC is yet finish in the top-two places in fifteen starts but she has shown some consistency in her latest few outings and comes in off a useful enough 5th at her latest start on May 8th. She can settle behind the early leaders here and run into some money. (3) FAMILY CAPTAIN has a 2nd place to his name at this distance three starts back and after two indifferent spins when carrying 56kg, gets a 4kg allowance with an apprentice climbing aboard. That should bring him into the placing frame here. (12) GLOBAL CASTLE and (2) BEST BIG BANG are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(7) Victory Sam (4) Shine Music (3) Family Captain (12) Global Castle|
|Next Best||2, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 7, 11|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old filly maidens in the South Coast opener. (1) QUEEN ALLIE gets the nod following an encouraging debut over 1200M on May 6th when she settled back before running on well for 2nd place. She should have come on for that run, she has a great draw, and the additional half furlong should pose no problems. (8) HANEUL JILJU has improved across her three starts to date, culminating in 3rd place last time out when leading until the closing stages. She will be on pace again and should be in this a long way. (5) ALL CROWN already has positive experience at this distance, running a good 2nd at it on her latest appearance on March 20th. She settled back and ran on and similar can be expected here. (9) STAR CATCH ad (2) CROWD ONE are others with at least placing claims.
|Selections||(1) Queen Allie (8) Haneul Jilju (5) All Crown (9) Star Catch|
|Next Best||2, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Fillies only here and while plenty enter in good form, (7) RAON THE WEEKEND is the one to beat. Her solitary win to date came at this distance in a good time at class 6 level three starts back and since then she has run well in two attempts at this level. First, she overcame gate thirteen to get to the speed but ultimately end up 6th over 1200M and then most recently, on April 9th, went right back after a slow start but finished off well for 4th. With a better start today, she will prove hard to go past. (4) INVICTUS is the logical second pick. Her win over 1200M at class 6 at the beginning of April had been coming and she showed she can measure up at this level when 4th over 1400M on May 1st. She can sit on the speed or settle back and run on and should be a factor here. (2) GREEN JJANG took a couple of tries to get to grips with this level but has been coming back into form in her latest two, especially her last start 2nd at 1200M. From a good draw, she can be on the speed here and go close. (11) CUPID JUMBO and the up in class (6) V QUEEN among others in the hunt.
|Selections||(7) Raon The Weekend (4) Invictus (2) Green Jjang (11) Cupid Jumbo|
|Next Best||6, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 7, 9|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(7) GEUMA INFINITE ran a solid 3rd place on debut over 1300M on May 8th when settling midfield and finishing off well. The additional half-furlong should suit and with some natural improvement from that run, he should be winning this. He will be a hot favourite in a field where the form of the rest is less than convincing. (2) BOUNTY HUNTER doesn’t look in any danger of winning a race, but he has picked up minor money on five of eleven occasions so far. An apprentice brings him down 3kg in the weights here and from a good draw, he can be aiming for a career best finish. (10) MILK DAY too has been loitering around the minors, most recently beating a couple of these on his way to 4th place over 1300M on May 13th. The wide gate shouldn’t matter, and he looks a solid placing chance. (5) THE PRINCESS and (8) YEONGGWANGUI RIDER others who can find some minor money although the latter does tend to save his best for barrier trials.
|Selections||(7) Geuma Infinite (2) Bounty Hunter (10) Milk Day (5) The Princess|
|Next Best||8, 4|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
After seven top-five finishes, it’s about time (7) REMARKABLE finally came home in top. He enters after back-to-back 3rd places at class and distance, both in good times and once more carries a light weight. He draws fairly, and today can be his day. (6) NONSTOP CAT enters off two consecutive runner-up finishes at class and distance, both times having been drawn wide. From a better gate today, he can pose a threat again. (1) K N SKETCH is up in class following a maiden win over 1300M on May 1st when he sat behind the leader before taking things up just before the furlong pole and never looking back. He draws well for Antonio to sit handy here and he should measure up at this level. (12) COMPLETE WEAPON was a winner at start number two at 1200M on April 2nd. It wasn’t a fast time, but he looks to have potential the wide draw isn’t too much of a concern. (5) CONCORDE SPURT among others with placing chances.
|Selections||(7) Remarkable (6) Nonstop Cat (1) K N Sketch (12) Complete Weapon|
|Next Best||5, 3|
|Fast Start||6, 7, 8, 9|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
After an indifferent debut last August, (8) HANEUL GANGJA didn’t reappear until February this year. He won on his first start back and has subsequently finished runner-up twice, both at this level. In this company, he should be on pace or handy and he has every chance of going one better here. (1) UNJU OCEAN was a somewhat unexpected debut-winner on April 8th when he tracked the leader throughout before going clear in the closing stages. It was a fair time for the distance and while he is up in class today, You Hyun-myung remains aboard, he draws the inside and should measure up at this level. (10) YASAENGHWA too comes up in class, in her case following her maiden win at start number two over 1300M on April 29th when she sat handy early before striking the front on the turn and going on. She carries a nice weight here and can be competitive. (12) CHEONNYEONUIGUREUM and (11) SLIM QUEEN among others in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(8) Haneul Gangja (1) Unju Ocean (10) Yasaenghwa (12) Cheonnyeonuigureum|
|Next Best||11, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Competitive race with two standouts. (3) BE CRAZY was an excellent all the way winner over this distance on March 13th in a fast time on a very wet track. He comes up in class here but comes slightly down in weight and also draws much better than last time. He can lead again and will be in this a long way. (1) TOUGH GUY was a winner at class 6 level over 1000M last October, he didn’t race again until May 1st when he started slowly but ran on pleasingly enough for 5th. He should have come on for that run and from a much better gate today, can get a better start to sit closer to the pace and he has great finishing speed. (4) JANGGUN BYEOL comes up in class following victory over this distance on April 17th when he sat just behind the early speed and then ran on. At the start before he beat Be Crazy as the pair ran 3rd and 5th again at this distance. He looks nicely in here under a competitive weight and in a good gate and can be considered. (8) ELITE RULES and (9) DREAM GIRLS among others with realistic aspirations.
|Selections||(3) Be Crazy (1) Tough Guy (4) Janggun Byeol (8) Elite Rules|
|Next Best||9, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 8, 10|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(3) RAON THE FIGHTING (not to be confused with the very similarly named one at Seoul) should win this. He got his maiden score two starts back over 1400M before almost making all on his first try at this class and distance on April 29th, ultimately running 2nd to Golden Kaiser. He will be on pace again from a good draw and this time he can go all the way. Second favourite will be (4) TRIPLE STORM. He has placed twice at class and distance most recently when 3rd behind Raon The fighting in that race on April 29th. He tends to go right back in his races, and he will be running on strong late on here. (10) DAEHO PYEONGJEONG mixes his form a bit, but he comes in off a good 4th place at class and distance on April 15th when he was up to 2nd place in the home straight. Franco climbs aboard and the wide draw shouldn’t be too much of an issue. (6) PILGRIM is yet to win but has three runner-up finishes, including at this distance, and should be in the hunt. (7) SINBIHAN GANGJA another who can place.
|Selections||(3) Raon The Fighting (4) Triple Storm (10) Daeho Pyeongjeong (6) Pilgrim|
|Next Best||7, 1|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(3) RAON THE JET ran 4th on debut last October but since then has won three in a row in fine style practically making all on each occasion. The most recent of those was at this class and distance on April 2nd and while he does come up a full 4.5kg in the weights, he draws well again, and he can make it four in a row today. (10) VYING BLADE looks the most credible danger. He come in following back-to-back runner-up finishes at class and distance, in good times and while the gate does him no favours, he should be running on well here. (5) ROCK FIGHTER similarly has been 2nd in both his latest two starts. Those were at 1300M so he comes slightly back in trip here but can be dangerous. Draw a line through the latest outing of (1) BAEKDU GIRL, which came in the Luna Stakes, the first leg of the filly Triple Crown over a mile. She previously won very smartly over 1300M at class 5 level, and this is much more suitable assignment. (6) CHEONDUNGSEJA another in the frame.
|Selections||(3) Raon The Jet (10) Vying Blade (5) Rock Fighter (1) Baekdu Girl|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 10, 11|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(1) CATCH THE SKY has solid form and is a winner at this distance at class 5 level. At his last start, which was at class and distance on May 1st, he was close 3rd. Rarely runs a bad race while he can tend to get a bit far back, a nice draw should allow him to settle comfortably and then run on. (5) OLD CHEONHA has solid recent form at a mile in good times and running through the line. At his last start on April 24th at this class he was a good 2nd and he placed on his only previous try at this distance. He’ll be right in this. (2) SINJIN GANGHO was winner at this distance at class 5 two starts back but was never a factor on his first try at this level on May 1st. We’ll give him another chance today and from a better draw he can show that was a one-off. (7) DUMUSAN is always there or thereabouts at this distance and at his latest on May 6th, he went right back, as is his style, before running home for 2nd. A similar run here would make him a strong place chance. (4) MIDNIGHT QUEEN another who can enter the calculations.
|Selections||(1) Catch The Sky (5) Old Cheonha (2) Sinjin Gangho (7) Dumusan|
|Next Best||4, 3|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 10|
Seoul Race 8: Class Open (2000M) YTN Cup (KOR-G3) Allowance / KRW 450 Million
The second leg of the Stayer Series. (2) HAENGBOK WANGJA is a winner of eight of his last ten races including the season ending Grand Prix Stakes over 2300M on Boxing Day. He has only raced once since then, running a close 2nd to Simjangui Godong at class 1 over this distance and carrying today’s weight. He likes to race forward or handy, is assisted by the draw, and he can return to winning ways here. (11) WINNER’S MAN was a superb four-length winner of the first leg of the Series, the Herald Business, here on May 1st. He runs well at Seoul having also claimed last year’s Korean Derby here. He is up in weight on that Herald Business win and the wide draw is not ideal, but don’t rule out another victory here. (1) TOUCH STAR MAN ran 2nd in the Grand Prix and meets Haengbok Wangja 4kg to the better today. He was only 5th in the Herald Business but draws well today and can get closer. (4) MOONHAK CHIEF is a grand galloper who won this race as part of his stellar 2019 campaign that also yielded the Korea Cup and Grand Prix Stakes. He has his share of weight here but can still mix it with the best on his day. (5) KING OF THE MATCH is a stablemate of Touch Star Man and while up in class here, has breezed through the lower classes and won at class 1 in his latest start. Don’t rule out.
|Selections||(2) Haengbok Wangja (11) Winner’s Man (1) Touch Star Man (4) Moonhak Chief|
|Next Best||5, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 11|
Busan Race 6: Class 1 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(2) DAEMANGUI GIL is in peak form and can run solid times. He beat three of these on his way to victory at this class over 1400M on May 1st and while he can get a bit far back in his races, the nice draw here means he can get a soft run into the corner. He is the one to beat. (8) ROCKY SKY is up in class on two consecutive wins over this distance. He is significantly down in weight and can settle on pace or in midfield. He has every chance of measuring up at this level. (4) DOCTOR CARSON comes in following a fair 4th place Eoma Eoma and Raon The Fighter in the Busan Ilbo Cup at this distance on April 24th. This is a much softer test and while that means he does give weight away to some, he gets a good draw and should be in the mix. (5) MIRACLE DREAMING is another who went around in the Busan Ilbo but finished well back. He ran 3rd behind Daemangui Gil the start before that in February and under a very light here is worth some thought. (6) DORAONPOGYEONGSEON may be nine years old now but is rarely far away.
|Selections||(2) Daemangui Gil (8) Rocky Sky (4) Doctor Carson (5) Miracle Dreaming|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 9: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(8) HEUNGHAENG DAEBAK is the one to beat here following the narrowest of defeats on his latest start on May 1st when rising to class 4 for the first time over 1400M. He has only missed the top two on one of six occasions so far and while he comes up in distance today, he should be able to cope with that and can win. (1) TK DAY is a staying mare who has shown consistent form of late. She just missed out last start when 2nd at class and distance at big odds. She has the fastest time among these at the distance on her record and she could go close. (2) WHITE CHARM is two starts into a comeback following a year on the sideline. She ran 3rd on her latest outing on May 7th at 1400M and could be peaking for a crack at two turns today having run well over 1800M in the dim and distant past. (9) LAPIEO BAN has been showing form of late at this class and at her last start was a fair 3rd at this distance when she raced midfield and ran on. A repeat of that effort would put her in the mix here. (5) DREAM MAX among others in the hunt.
|Selections||(8) Heunghaeng Daebak (1) TK Day (2) White Charm (9) Lapieo Ban|
|Next Best||5, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 10: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(2) SIMPLE STYLE has shown very consistent form of late. At his last start, which came at this distance on April 23rd, he was wide early then settled back in the field before running on in the straight for 3rd. He was 2nd the start before that at 1700M and has serious claims today. (4) STAR BLADE is worth some thought based on a good 2nd two starts back on March 27th. Disregard his last outing on April 30th when he was slowly away and settled right back in the field before struggling to improve. He is better when racing forward and today’s draw will assist, and he should be at good odds. (8) ACHIM HAMSEONG ran (a distant) 6th behind Raon First in the Listed Donga Ilbo Trophy in March before finishing a close 2nd to Soara Baba and ahead of Simple Style on April 23rd. She can get a bit far back in her races so may need some luck when running on but it’s a small field so traffic shouldn’t be an issue. (6) K N WONDERFUL is a mare with good form and is another who is better than her latest run suggests. (3) MANSE is a last start winner at this class over 1700M and while he comes up a full 5kg in the weights, can’t be completely discounted.
|Selections||(2) Simple Style (4) Star Blade (8) Achim Hamseong (6) K N Wonderful|
|Next Best||3, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 6|
Seoul Race 11: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
A last start class and distance winner, (12) ROYAL ELVIS is done no favours by the draw here but could still have enough about him to win. He will need a touch of luck at the start, but he has plenty of speed and he should run on. (1) FIGHTING DADDY comes up in class following a good win over 1200M on May 1st, when he did what Royal Elvis needs to do today and overcame the widest gate. He has put in a fast time at this distance when 2nd to the good Spot Flatter last autumn and looks nicely in here. (2) GYORYONGDEUKSU was a class 4 winner at this distance two starts back before running a good 2nd on his first try at this class when leading for most of the way around at this distance on May 1st. The same apprentice keeps his weight very light today and he should be on pace from the start and in this a long way. (10) SHARK JJANG consistently places and will be in the hunt to do so again here while (7) LUISA is another who can go close.
|Selections||(12) Royal Elvis (1) Fighting Daddy (2) Gyoryongdeuksu (10) Shark Jjang|
|Next Best||7, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 12|