Sunday’s feature race is the Korean Oaks at Busan – See here for full preview – part of a 6-race card on the south-coast from 12:00 to 16:45. There are also 11 races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens in the opener. (2) JAY PHOENIX has raced only once and it was back in December, but he ran well, being on pace before ultimately finishing 3rd behind a couple of useful ones over 1000M. He won a trial in early April and from a great draw, will be expected to win first-up here. (4) GRAY THOR has also raced just the once, in his case over 1200M on April 3rd when he settled handy to the lead and ran on for 6th, beating a couple of today’s rivals. That followed a promising trial and with some natural improvement, he can go close today. (10) CUPID SAFE comes in with an improved 3rd and 2nd from her latest two, both at 1300M. In the first of those she settled back in the field and at the most recent she was handy so she is versatile enough to overcome the wide gate here and can be dangerous. (6) ECHO ZONE and (8) NONSTOP ALI the best of the rest.
|Selections||(2) Jay Phoenix (4) Gray Thor (10) Cupid Safe (6) Echo Zone|
|Next Best||8, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 8, 11|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Maiden fillies and mares only here. (5) P N S CHANCE enters with a 2nd and a 3rd from her latest two, both at this distance and both times running on strongly. The engagement of an apprentice jockey brings her significantly down in the weights and she can run on strongly and go close here. The main danger is (3) GALSAEK HYANGGI. She comes in following a good 2nd place over 1400M on March 19th when handy throughout. That was her best finish in six starts to date and with similar tactics today, she looks sure to be in the finish again. It’s hard to go past those two for the quinella. (10) HAMPYEONG FIGHTER was well back behind P N S Chance at her latest outing but has hinted at ability. (8) SHINE MUSIC and (12) BARO QUEEN are among others that can be considered for the places.
|Selections||(5) P N S Chance (3) Galsaek Hyanggi (10) Hampyeong Fighter (8) Shine Music|
|Next Best||12, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 10, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 3: Class 5 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(3) BRAVO MAY will be the favourite here. He looks to be working back up to another win with a good 4th and 3rd from his latest two, both at this class and distance and last time out beating a couple of today’s rivals when settling midfield and running on well. He has posted decent times and from a great draw, has every chance here. (7) FIRST DREAM is yet to win in twenty-one attempts but came back to this trip last start after several goes around two turns and registered a career-best 2nd place on April 3rd when he got to the lead from gate nine and was only beaten by a very good winner. If he can be ridden forward again, he can be in this a long way. (5) PIEONADA ran adequately enough for 5th on her latest appearance on April 10th and may appreciate the step back up in trip here. (8) JISANGUN mixes his form but has placed at class and distance and along with (2) KAILLUM JEWANG, should be in the minor money hunt.
|Selections||(3) Bravo May (7) First Dream (5) Pieonada (8) Jisangun|
|Next Best||2, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 7|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
There are a couple of tempting debut-makers here, but we shall side with experience and put (5) GREAT CAPTAIN on top. He has steadily improved across his four appearances to date, culminating with a strong 2nd at this distance on March 27th, when as has been his style after his debut, he settled just behind the early speed and then ran on well. An apprentice brings his weight down here and today can be his day. (4) STAR MATTA looked very well when winning a trial by as many as he pleased in a fast time on a dry track on April 23rd. His half-brother Lucas Sun has won a couple of races here and a bold showing first-up seems likely. The other first-timer is (1) GEUMA INFINITE. He trialed up in a different heat on the same morning and while he didn’t win the heat, he stopped the clock in exactly the same time as Smart Matta. All three half-siblings to make the track won. Returning to the experienced ones, (8) TRIPLE THUNDER and (7) MEOTJIN HARU look the best.
|Selections||(5) Great Captain (4) Star Matta (1) Geuma Infinite (8) Triple Thunder|
|Next Best||7, 2|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(1) HANGANG BOSS will be hot favourite to win here. He got his maiden victory two starts back over 1300M before running a strong 4th from the widest gate on his first try at this class over 1200M on March 19th when he simply couldn’t find a decent position early and had to run on from a long way back. He gets a much better gate today and the additional furlong should favour him. The logical danger is (5) SOJUNGHAN DANGSIN. Despite remaining a maiden, she comes up in class here following a few too many near-misses at class 6 level and has recently been running well over 1300M. She is another for who the slight step up in trip can suit and she should be in the mix here. The form really drops off after those two, though. (4) HAPPY SOCKS has the fastest time of any of these for the distance and that’s enough to put him into the placing frame here. (3) YEONGUNG DAEMA and (2) WHITE WING others to consider for minor money.
|Selections||(1) Hangang Boss (5) Sojunghan Dangsin (4) Happy Socks (3) Yeongung Daema|
|Next Best||2, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 5|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(5) KING BOSS has only raced twice and has been a beaten favourite twice, finishing 4th and 3rd, both times at 1200M. He has raced prominently both times and draws nicely again to do the same here. His time at the distance is quicker than all but one has recorded, and it can be third-time lucky as market leader today. (2) CHOEGANG MUJIGAE took a few goes to figure things out but has a 2nd and a 3rd to his name now at this level. He draws nicely here and under a light weight, can be in the mix. (4) WORLD FLOWER remains a maiden but comes in off a career-best 2nd place scored at this distance on April 10th when she went right back and ran on. If she doesn’t leave herself too much to do, she can be considered here. (3) CHONGAL CHARM and (1) WONDERFUL DIGGER are others who can have minor money claims.
|Selections||(5) King Boss (2) Choegang Mujigae (4) World Flower (3) Chongal Charm|
|Next Best||1, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 9, 11|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(3) WONPYEONG COD was a beaten favourite at class and distance on April 9th. He previously ran a very fast 2nd on a wet track on his first try at this class. He draws nicely again and could be worth another chance. The favourite will be (6) CLAIR BEST. He got his maiden win at start number three over this distance on April 2nd, when he made all, winning by as many as he pleased. He comes up in class here but is marginally down in the weights and draws the same gate he won from. He has every chance of leading from start to finish again today. (11) RISING HAWK got her maiden win at 1200M before running 3rd on her first try at class and distance on April 2nd. She doesn’t get a great draw today, but she doesn’t need to lead, and she can run on here. (8) CUPID WAY was disappointing in the same race in which Wonpyeong Cod underwhelmed on April 9th. Previously a smart winner at 1200M, she too can be given another chance here. (1) MAGIC RUSH another to consider.
|Selections||(3) Wonpyeong Cod (6) Clair Best (11) Rising Hawk (8) Cupid Way|
|Next Best||1, 2|
|Fast Start||6, 7, 8, 9|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Fillies and mares only here. (2) A ONE PLUS has a severe case of “second-itis”, having finished as runner-up on six occasions but still yet to win. It’s where she has finished in three of her last four including her latest effort on April 15th when she sat just behind the speed and ran on strongly. She comes up 2kg for that, but it’s balanced by her getting a much better draw, and it could be her day at last. If you think she will find one too quick again, that one could be (7) HAVANA JANE. She has been a bit of a revelation in recent outings, getting her maiden win three starts back at 1200M and then recording back-to-back runner-up finishes on her promotion to this class. She is worth some thought. (1) ECHO LADY got her maiden win at class and distance on April 10th when the longest shot on the board. Under today’s handicap conditions, she comes in at a similar weight and form a much better draw another strong showing can’t be ruled out. (9) ANASTASIA and (10) MENI AGAIN others who can place.
|Selections||(2) A One Plus (7) Havana Jane (1) Echo Lady (9) Anastasia|
|Next Best||10, 5|
|Fast Start||4, 8, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Fillies and mares only here. (1) SUPERDIA comes up in class following her maiden win at start number three over this distance on April 3rd when she stalked the leader before taking command in the home straight. She carries the same weight, draws the same gate and she can measure up. (9) WONDERFUL KITTY was 2nd in that April 3rd race having settled midfield and then run on strong. She is without a win but has put in some merit-filled runs and she too should fit in among this company. (4) CONCORD SPARK did nothing on debut in January and accordingly wen back to trial. She was much better on her re-appearance on April 2nd, making all for a very easy win at this distance. Yet another up in class, she can be dangerous again here. Continuing the theme, (12) DOLBAE and (11) BLOOD MOON were also last start winners over the distance at class 6 and despite the wide draws – which Dolbae overcame last time – neither should be too out of place.
|Selections||(1) Superdia (9) Wonderful Kitty (4) Concord Spark (12) Dolbae|
|Next Best||11, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5, 10|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Tricky puzzle here. We’ll go with (1) ILNYEOM CHEONHA, a good runner up at the mile two starts back before weakening in the closing stages after leading when stepped up to 1800M last time out. Back in trip today and drawn nicely on the inside where Franco can pick his spot, he can win. (6) GOLD TAP has only raced twice so far, winning on debut over 1200M when overcoming a wide draw and then running on for 5th over 1400M at this class. The stretch out to a mile should suit and he can be in the finish. (2) GRAND CHUKJE remains a maiden but is rarely far away. From his last four outings, he has three runner-up finishes, all at this distance and most recently at this class too. An apprentice keeps the weight nice and low and it’s not impossible he could go one better today. (10) DOCTOR PRO and (9) WONDERFUL BIRD are among others with placing claims.
|Selections||(1) Ilnyeom Cheonha (6) Gold Tap (2) Grand Chukje (10) Doctor Pro|
|Next Best||9, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Fillies and mares only here. (4) WOL YEONG I comes down in weight and into a much better gate than at her latest two starts. She should be on the pace here and with those two things in her favour, has every chance of returning to the winner’s circle. (10) K N MAGIC comes back in trip following back-to-back runner up finishes over 1400M. She has only missed the top four on two occasions and despite coming up slightly in weight and drawing wide, she should be closing here. (1) SOEWAKKOT arrested a run of dreadful form with a win over this distance on April 10th when sent off at odds of 50/1. She is up in class but down in the weights and draws well and she could be an each-way chance again at what will probably be another big price. (6) MAGIC TIDE and (9) BEST TIME are among others who can enter the calculations
|Selections||(4) Wol Yeong I (10) K N Magic (1) Soewakkot (6) Magic Tide|
|Next Best||9, 7|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7, 11|
Busan Race 5: Class Open (1800M) Korean Oaks (KOR-G2) Allowance / KRW 600 Million
The second leg of the filly Triple Crown and (4) CHAMJOEUN CHINGU can overturn the form from the first leg, the Luna Stakes on April 10th, when she got nailed on the line in a seemingly winning position. She has won over 1700M at Seoul at class 4 level when making all and as an on-pace type, today’s draw should suit far better than the gate fourteen she got in the Luna. That Luna winner was (5) GOLDEN POWER and because of that, she probably warrants favourite status. She also gets a better draw than she did that day and while she has only stretched out to a mile so far, she certainly gets back from off the pace and there is no reason why the two-turns can’t suit. She looks a quality filly and was going by far the best at the end of the Mile in the Luna. (1) WONDERFUL RAISE has a great draw and can get an easier run than she did when 4th in the Luna when she was wide all the way from gate thirteen. That day’s 3rd placegetter, (10) RAON THE SPURT is less favoured by the draw as she likes to lead, but it is a smaller field than in the Luna, she has plenty of gate speed and with a bit of luck can get to the front. If she does, she has loads of ability and will be in this a long way. For a long shot at good odds, (9) ALPHA SONGDANG is unexposed and could be anything.
|Selections||(4) Chamjoeun Chingu (5) Golden Power (1) Wonderful Raise (10) Raon The Spurt|
|Next Best||9, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 8: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(6) EAST IMPACT is probably the one to beat here based on current form. He was an on-pace winner over 1200M at class 4 level two starts back before finishing 2nd at this class and distance behind Cobra Ball on April 10th when handy throughout. He comes up 2kg in the weights but should be able to get forward again and can go all the way. (3) JEDI has proven a force to be reckoned with and while she was a beaten favourite, at 1400M on a very wet track last time out, can be given another chance here. She must take care not to get too far back, but she will be running on strong at the end. (1) RAON CHAMPSELY steps back in trip following a couple of efforts around two turns, finishing well back in last month’s Gold Circle Trophy race. She comes down 3kg in the weights today and the last time she ran at this distance, at class 4 level in January, she was a winner. From a great draw, she can go close. (2) VICEROY and (4) MY MEMBER, the latter who will lead, others to take into account.
|Selections||(6) East Impact (3) Jedi (1) Raon Champsely (2) Viceroy|
|Next Best||4, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 6|
Busan Race 6: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(7) RAON THE TANK comes up in class following an emphatic win over this distance at class 5 level on April 8th when he sat handy early before asserting command and running on for a six-length score. This is tougher but the manner of that win suggests there is more to come, and he can win again today. The logical danger is (6) BEAUTIFUL KING. He comes up in trip after back-to-back wins, most recently at this class over 1200M on April 1st. All three of his victories so far have been at shorter but he looks ready for another crack at seven furlongs and should be on the early speed again here. (5) INDIAN PARTY is yet to win in twenty-four starts, but he has no fewer than fourteen top-four finishes. He has run good times at this distance, and he can place again. (1) GLOBAL SEUNGNI and (3) AFLEET TAPIT are others who can be considered for the minor money.
|Selections||(7) Raon The Tank (6) Beautiful King (5) Indian Party (1) Global Seungni|
|Next Best||3, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 9: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Competitive race. (1) WONDERFUL K was a winner two starts back over 1700M at class 5 level before running a decent enough 3rd at this class and distance on April 9th when midfield and running on. She carries the same weight today but draws much better and can win. (2) JANGSAN GUARD has probably earned the right to be favourite. He comes in following an excellent win at class and distance on April 3rd when he was on pace throughout and battled on strongly. He does come up 3.5kg in the weights but has run well under similar before and has every chance of making it two in a row. (8) LAPIEO BAN has mixed her form, but she has run the joint-fastest time over this distance and in this small field can’t be ruled out. (6) SPEED BELLE and (3) FIRENZE HILL others with minor money potential.
|Selections||(1) Wonderful K (2) Jangsan Guard (8) Lapieo Ban (6) Speed Belle|
|Next Best||3, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4, 6|
Seoul Race 10: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(4) TYCHE FIRE is the one to beat here. He has fifteen top-five finishes from nineteen starts and was a class and distance winner in March. At his latest appearance on April 2nd, he beat several of today’s rivals on his way to 3rd place, again at class and distance, and while he does come up 2kg to a big 58kg, he can win. (9) JEONGMUN ACE looks to be the biggest danger. He ran 4th, just a length behind Tyche Fire in that April 2nd race and was also a class and distance winner two starts back. He gets 2kg on Tyche Fire today and can go close. (7) GREEN DARC ran a strong 4th in the Gold Circle Trophy at this distance on April 3rd at very big odds and perhaps warrants a little more respect today. (3) BIG TRIPLE and (6) MUNHAK ENCORE are others who can challenge for the places.
|Selections||(4) Tyche Fire (9) Jeongmun Ace (7) Green Darc (3) Big Triple|
|Next Best||6, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 11: Class 1 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
A very competitive class 1 sprint to conclude the card. (9) MIGHTY GO shapes as the one to beat. He is a class 1 winner over 1400M in a very fast time and comes in having beaten a few of these at this distance on February 20th, sitting handy from the same gate as today and then running on. He has had eleven weeks off since and does come up 2kg in the weights but nevertheless should put in another bold showing. (8) CHEUNGDAM GENIE was a class and distance winner on April 3rd, when settling midfield and running on. He remains very nicely weighted here and should be going close again. (5) LEGEND DAY used up plenty of energy getting to the lead from a wide gate over 1400M last time out, but back in trip and with a better draw, can be more competitive here. (4) MASK and (1) GLOBAL CAPTAIN are others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(9) Mighty Go (8) Cheungdam Genie (5) Legend Day (4) Mask|
|Next Best||1, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 11|