The Cherry Blossom season comes to its conclusion at Seoul Racecourse this weekend. There are 9 races on Saturday form 10:45 to 18:00. All betting locations are open and it is now possible to buy non-reserved tickets on the gate. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maiden fillies in the opener. There will be a hot favourite and it is indeed hard to look past (10) TIZ SUCCESS. Having won a trial in a good time, she ran 2nd on debut, well beaten by Meni Spear, on a sloppy track on March 13th. It was a good start and with some natural improvement for that run, she should be very hard to beat here. (9) CHAPEL PRINCESS was a bit slower on her debut on March 19th but ran pleasingly enough for 4th having settled handy. She too should be better for the experience and can get closer. There are three debut-makers. Of them, (3) MADISON MUSIC and (5) WONDERFUL MUSIC have the same owner but different trainers, and they recorded identical times when both finishing in 2nd place in their respective trials a week apart. Both have every chance of going well in this modest company. Of the others with experience, (2) RAY BOLT is perhaps the most likely to improve.
|Selections||(10) Tiz Success (9) Chapel Princess (3) Masidon Music (5) Wonderful Music|
|Next Best||2, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Tricky maiden here. (1) NAMSAN HORANGI races for the first time since January having finished in 5th place in all three of his starts so far. He has finished off his races adequately. Comes up slightly in distance and gets a very good draw. Today can be his day. (4) GEONGONILCHEOK enters off a good 3rd at 1200M on March 20th when he was ridden midfield early and finished off well. He looks nicely in here and with Antonio climbing aboard can be in the finish again. (3) RESERVED JOHN has put in two fair performances for 3rd and 4th, the latter of which was at this trip on March 12th. At his first start he went right to the back before finishing off very well but was ridden handy on reappearance and from the same gate, that will probably be the tactic again today. (9) THE FAVORITE has four top-four finishes from five starts so far. She steps up to this trip for the first time and it can suit. (8) G STAR has tended to get a bit far back in his races but has a decent turn of foot and may run into some money.
|Selections||(1) Namsan Horangi (4) Geongonilcheok (3) Reserved John (9) The Favorite|
|Next Best||8, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 5, 9|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
A wide-open maiden here. (7) NEOREUL EUNGWONHAE’s only bad run to date did come on her only previous try at the distance but other than that she has been consistent. In this race, where there isn’t much early speed, she should be able to get a prominent position and she has shown she can finish races off well. She has as good a chance as any here. (2) EPIPHANY has steadily improved across his latest few starts, culminating in a career-best 2nd place at his latest outing on March 19th. That was at 1700M so he comes back sharply in trip today, but he draws nicely and can go close. (9) NANA LAND showed signs of figuring things out at what was start number four on April 3rd at 1200M when settled midfield and then ran on for a close 2nd. That was the first time she didn’t get too far back in a race and while today’s draw is not as good, if she can get away well, she isn’t without a chance. (6) POSA POSA and (1) CINDERELLA are others with money claims.
|Selections||(7) Neoreul Eungwonhae (2) Epiphany (9) Nana Land (6) Posa Posa|
|Next Best||1, 5|
|Fast Start||6, 7, 8, 11|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(3) SAENAE POWERFUL gained his sole win to date at this distance at class 6 level three starts back and comes in having run 2nd at this class over 1200M on March 12th when settling midfield and running on for a narrow defeat. He comes up 2kg in the weights today but that’s balanced by a much better gate, and he has every chance of going one better today. (10) BARAMGWA HAMKKE remains a maiden following ten attempts but at his latest start overcame gate fourteen to run a very good 3rd over 1400M. He is down in the weights on that run and can settle back and challenge late on here. (9) RAON THE PEARL comes up in class and slightly in trip, having recorded her maiden win at start number three on March 5th. She can settle midfield here and should measure up at this level. (11) DREAM SPEED and (6) KING CRUSH are both also up in class following last start maiden wins and neither should be too far away.
|Selections||(3) Saenae Powerful (10) Baramgwa Hamkke (9) Raon The Pearl (11) Dream Speed|
|Next Best||6, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 6|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(4) DONGHAENG didn’t see the race out after briefly leading at the top of the straight on her first try at this class on February 27th. Even though she finished well down the field, she still beat a couple of today’s rivals and has won at this distance. From a nice draw and under a light weight, she is probably worth another chance here in a race with patchy form. (10) PRINCESS SOCKS has stuttered a little in her latest two but generally has a good record at this distance. Despite the draw, she should be able to find a forward position and can run on to challenge. (6) GOLDEN THUNDER comes up in class having finished as runner-up in two of his three starts to date, both of them at today’s distance and nearly managed to lead all the way at his latest before being passed late on by a good winner. He comes down in weight and should be competitive. Also down in weight is (3) GREEN JJANG who improved third-up this preparation at her latest start and could be peaking here. (12) BURUI GASOK another in the frame.
|Selections||(4) Donghaeng (10) Princess Socks (6) Golden Thunder (3) Green Jjang|
|Next Best||12, 11|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(6) ON POINT has been the beaten favourite in each of his latest three starts and come up a little short on all three occasions, all of them at two turns. The last time he ran at today’s distance, he ran out a good winner in a fast time under the same weight as he carries today and this time, he should make no mistake. (5) BIG YAK actually finally stopped running like one at start number six on March 12th when he beat a few of these on his way to 3rd at class and distance. Due to today’s race being under handicap conditions instead of set weights, he comes down a full 4kg and draws much better as well. He can go close. (7) MUNHAK STRONG was a much-improved 3rd over 1200M on March 5th and looks ready for another crack at this distance under a light weight and from a fair gate. (8) YUJEONG CHAMP and (10) PANORAMA KHAN others to take under consideration.
|Selections||(6) On Point (5) Big Yak (7) Munhak Strong (8) Yujeong Champ|
|Next Best||10, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 6|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(9) GRAY CAT may have only won once in thirteen starts (three outings back at 1200M and class 5 level) but he has seven top-three finishes to his name including at this latest two appearances, both at class and distance and both times finishing in 3rd place. He raced prominently on both occasions, carries the same weight today and looks to be the one to beat. (1) SARAMIRANEUNBYEOL ran an improved 4th behind Gray Cat on March 13th. Under the same weight today and from a nice gate on the inside, he can be competitive again. (2) CHEONBISEONG is another who doesn’t exactly win out of turn but comes in off a solid 2nd place at class and distance on March 13th when he led until the closing stages. He does come up a full 4kg in the weights today, but he draws well and could get a soft lead. (3) NONGBON BADA has won at this class over 1800M and shouldn’t be dismissed while (8) COLJOY has seemingly lost his way a little bit of late but is capable of running well on his day.
|Selections||(9) Gray Cat (1) Saramiraneunbyeol (2) Cheonbiseong (3) Nongbon Bada|
|Next Best||8, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 8: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(8) BAEKSAEK GWANGCHAE comes in off a very creditable 6th out of fourteen in the Listed Sports Chosun Trophy on March 20th at 2000M. He is a class and distance winner under this weight already and he looks the one to beat, probably settling in midfield and running on. (3) THE SPIKER won over this distance at class 4 level two starts back and then 3rd to Duson Janggun, again at this distance, on his first try at this level on March 19th. He is up slightly in the weights but draws well and can be a danger. So too (4) CHUNSAN who comes in following 5th place behind Raon First in the Donga Ilbo Trophy (a listed race for fillies and mares) on March 27th. Like Baeksaek Gwangchae, she too is a class and distance winner already and will be in the frame here. The up in class (7) INCHEON CAPTAIN as well as (6) TRIPLE KINGDOM are others with placing hopes.
|Selections||(8) Baeksaek Gwangchae (3) The Spiker (4) Chunsan (7) Incheon Captain|
|Next Best||6, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 9: Class 2 (2000M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(6) DETERMINATION comes in looking for four wins in a row. He got back-to-back wins over 1800M at class 3 level before stepping up to the Listed Sports Chosun Trophy at today’s distance on March 20th when he settled midfield before improving to handy and then running on to comfortably defeat pre-race favourite Chief Indy. He carries plenty of weight here but has won under more in the past and at age five, he really does seem to be coming into his own with scope for even more. The most credible threat appears to be (4) MIGHTY WHO. He comes up in class having won two of his latest three with the most recent being over 1800M at class 3 level in February. He gets a significant weight advantage over the favourite and may not be too far away. (2) BLUE CHITON has mixed his form but from a nice draw today, could aim to find some money. (8) RAYMOND has plenty of experience at this level and while he finished down the field in the Sports Chosun, can get closer in this company. (3) DAE BYEONHWA another in the placing hunt.
|Selections||(6) Determination (4) Mighty Who (2) Blue Chiton (8) Raymond|
|Next Best||3, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6, 8|