There is racing at both Seoul (11 races from 10:45 to 18:00) and Busan (6 races from 12:00 to 16:50) on Sunday. All betting locations are open (except the Daegu branch), however, attendance must be pre-booked using the MyCard app. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens open the program. (3) GOLDEN THUNDER looks the one to beat, having improved to 2nd place at start number two on February 13th when beating three of today’s rivals with an on-pace showing at this distance. He draws better today, should be on the speed again, and can win. (6) THE FAVORITE didn’t run on at her latest start in January. She had hinted at some ability in her three prior starts though, showing a bit of speed and is worth another chance here. There are two debut-makers and of the pair, (8) STAR RACER caught the eye in his trial, crossing the line well ahead of the rest. The time wasn’t fast but in generally, trials have been slowly run of late and he can make an immediate impact first-up. (12) PURPLE STORM and (11) SIRIUS ALPHA others who can find the minor money.
|Selections||(3) Golden Thunder (6) The Favorite (8) Star Racer (12) Purple Storm|
|Next Best||11, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 8, 11|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maiden fillies here. We’ll take a chance on one of the two first-timer starters, (4) TIZ SUCCESS. She went through two trials, significantly improving in the second of them, running through the line very well in a good time. She draws well here and looks right in this. (6) MENI SPEAR will probably start as favourite. She ran 4th on debut and then improved to 2nd at start number two, both over 1000M. Her style so far has been to be on pace, something she is well drawn to do again, and she will be in this a long way. (2) BE FLOWER also comes up in trip having run 3rd in both starts so far. The extra furlong can suit today. (11) GORGEOUS SERVE took an age to get into stride on debut but should have come on for that and be given another chance here. Similarly (3) BLOOD MOON beat a couple of today’s rivals when running on for 6th place. She has a better draw today and can be competitive.
|Selections||(4) Tiz Success (6) Meni Spear (2) Be Flower (11) Gorgeous Serve|
|Next Best||3, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 6, 10|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
It’s hard to go too far past (10) BE CRAZY here. He comes back to this distance following two good spins over 1300M which yielded a 3rd and a 4th. He doesn’t draw ideally but should have enough early speed to navigate his way to the front and from then on will be very much the one to beat. (9) SOARA DAERO has a 2nd and two 5ths in three prior outings and has registered the fastest time of any of these at the distance along the way. He too has good early speed and can sit on pace or handy here and can be a danger. (6) EUNHYE DREAM has made progress in her latest two with a 3rd and a 4th, both times coming from off the pace and making up good ground late. Expect similar here. (12) RAON THE WILD and (8) BADAUI KKUM have mixed their form, but both have hinted at ability and could make the minor money in this company.
|Selections||(10) Be Crazy (9) Soara Daero (6) Eunhye Dream (12) Raon The Wild|
|Next Best||8, 11|
|Fast Start||2, 9, 10, 12|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Small but competitive field here. (7) EUNSEONG WINNER could be ready to win. She has two 3rd place finishes from her three starts to date, including her latest on February 20th when she came from well back to run on well over 1200M. The slight step up in trip can suit and Franco Da Silva remains aboard. (3) B.K. NEW MOON was an improved 2nd at her second outing on February 13th over 1200M. She recorded a fair time and is another who may suit the slightly extended trip today. (1) WONDERFUL CUTIE came home in 6th place behind Eunseong Winner on her most recent appearance but two starts back was runner-up over 1000M. She is nicely drawn on the inside here and looks to have at least placing claims. (6) HONOR’S MARGAUX and (5) HAPPY SONG SONG have the potential to improve.
|Selections||(7) Eunseong Winner (3) B.K. New Moon (1) Wonderful Cutie (6) Honor’ s Margaux|
|Next Best||5, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 7|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(8) SONGAM RACER enters off his best finish to date when 3rd over 1300M, running on well. Like five others, he tackles this trip for the first time and his running style suggests that it can suit with him expected to sit off the pace here and then finish strongly. He could be too good. (7) BLACK INDY looked very much as though he needed the run when well back over 1400M on January 29th, on what was his first start since last June. He drew very wide that day so had plenty of excuses and with a bit of natural improvement from that run, can be much more competitive today. (4) POSA POSA comes back in trip following a couple of tries around two turns. This should suit a little more and he can aim to at least repeat the 3rd place he scored at 1300M last December. (9) APPLE MINT and (1) M J STORM are others who can enter the equation.
|Selections||(8) Songam Racer (7) Black Indy (4) Posa Posa (9) Apple Mint|
|Next Best||1, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6, 7|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(8) SAEROUN HAMAN has impressed in two starts so far, running 5th and 3rd over 1000M and 1200M and at his latest came from off the pace to run on very pleasingly. He comes up slightly in trip today and it could be what he needs to come out on top. (3) GREAT ONE comes back in trip after strong of runs at a mile, including his best finish to date of 2nd two starts back and has run fairly at this distance so in this company, can be considered. (6) DAEHO NURI comes up in trip after some adequate showings over 1200M including a 3rd place two starts back in a decent time. His running style has generally been to go back and run on so it may well suit here. (1) AGAIN HELEN and (7) SOUTHERN KING are others who may be considered for the minor money.
|Selections||(8) Saeroun Haman (3) Great One (6) Daeho Nuri (1) Again Helen|
|Next Best||7, 4|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
A big field and a competitive race here. (4) SHOWMAKER could be working her way towards a second victory. She enters off the back of two consecutive 3rd place finishes, both at this class, over 1400M and 1300M. She has good early speed compared with most oof her rivals here so can use a good draw to get a little further forward today and may go all the way. (6) HYPER CAR is potentially the betting favourite. He did well at this attest start to overcome gate fourteen to run 5th at class and distance and the time before ran a good 2nd. His times at the distance are consistent and while he remains a maiden after fourteen attempts, that could change here. (12) WANGINGHAENGCHA beat Hyper Car on his way to 3rd place last time out at class and distance. He has trialed up adequately since then and could be in line for another place here. (2) EUNHYE CHUNGMAN and (7) CURRERECUS are others who enter the calculations.
|Selections||(4) Showmaker (6) Hyper Car (12) Wanginhaengcha (2) Eunhye Chungman|
|Next Best||7, 14|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 6, 8|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(7) CHEONGHO LEADER came from well back to run 3rd at this class over 1400M on February 13th. He is yet to win in twelve starts but has eight top-five finishes to his name including some good showings at today’s distance and is the one to beat here. (1) ADELE BOSS put in a slightly disappointing performance on his latest outing on February 13th. That was his first try at a mile and hopefully he will have progressed for it as he had shown some ability at 1400M. Perovic climbs aboard, and he can be given another chance. (4) AFLEET TAPIT is a winner at his class over 1400M and has a 4th place at this distance to his name too. He draws nicely and will be expected to settle back and run on here. (2) SUN MOUNTAIN and (3) HANEUL JEONSA are others who can be considered.
|Selections||(7) Cheongho Leader (1) Adele Boss (4) Afleet Tapit (2) Sun Mountain|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(1) BAEKDU GIRL is set to be the favourite here, having won well on debut before coming up a little short in 3rd place when sent off as well-backed on her first try at this class over 1200M on February 13th. She carries a light weight here, draws nicely on the inside and should be too strong. (7) WONPYEONG COD was a winner on debut on January 29th, making all over the 1000M in a fair time. He hasn’t raced since then but looked well enough when trialing up a week ago and while he is up in trip and in class, he should be able to measure up. (3) REMARKABLE has plenty of experience at this level and she has been closer in her latest three than the two 4ths and 5th suggest on paper. She can be on pace in this company and be in it a long way. (8) STAR RUSH remains a maiden after twenty attempts but knows how to find the minor money in this type of race, while similarly (2) RULES CLASS shouldn’t be too far away.
|Selections||(1) Baekdu Girl (7) Wonpyeong Cod (3) Remarkable (8) Star Rush|
|Next Best||2, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 7|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(9) CATCH THE VICTORY looks hard to beat. A class 5 winner over this distance two starts back, he then nearly led all the way on his first try at this level on February 13th, ultimately finishing in 2nd place and beating plenty of today’s rivals. That was a handicap and today’s conditions mean that he actually carries less weight. He will be close to the pace, if not necessarily leading, from the start and he can win. (11) DOCTOR CAESAR won his first two races last summer but seemingly lost his way a little at the tail end of his juvenile year and into January. He looked very well when winning a February trial and with Perovic aboard, could be ready for a fresh start here. (7) BUSANHANG GALMAEGI came home a slightly disappointing 6th in that February 13th race behind Catch The Victory. He has run consistent, if unspectacular, times at this distance and should be competitive here. (12) SAGARMATHA and (1) MINYEOBONG among others with claims.
|Selections||(9) Catch The Victory (11) Doctor Caesar (7) Busanhang Galmaegi (12) Sagarmatha|
|Next Best||1, 8|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 11|
Seoul Race 7: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Fillies and mares only here. (2) PURPLE K was slightly disappointing at her latest start in January when 6th of fourteen over this distance but had previously shown ability with some solid times at this distance She draws well to get to the lead here and can potentially go all the way. (9) BEST TORCH was a winner on debut over 1000M in January before overcoming gate fourteen to run 2nd at class and distance on February 13th (beating Baekdu Girl, who ran in race 6). She comes up a little in the weights, but the smaller field should negate the wide draw and she can go very close. (10) COMPLETE TIME returns to action for the first time since Christmas Day. She had previously shown plenty of speed and looked well when leading a trial in February, ultimately crossing the line in 3rd. (5) HAMPYEONG NABI comes up in class and in distance having made all on debut for a comfortable win over 1000M. The Hansen filly can measure up in this company. (6) CUPID BISANG another with placing claims.
|Selections||(2) Purple K (9) Best Torch (10) Complete Time (5) Hampyeong Nabi|
|Next Best||6, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 7, 10|
Busan Race 5: Class 3 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(2) ECOPIA has a good record at this distance and while she only managed 6thon her first try at this level on January 28th, and comes up in the weights, Franco Da Silva, who has won on her, climbs back aboard and from a nice draw she has a chance. That would mean overturning the form on (11) ECHO SUN, who ran 2nd in that January race before beating three of these on his way to 3rd place again at class and distance on February 20th. He has led in both those outings and while it won’t be so easy for him to get to the speed here, he surely has claims. (6) WONDERFUL KING is a class and distance winner and while he comes up 3kg on his latest start, Perovic is on today and he is sure to be a big threat. (3) MUJEOK BULPAE and (9) STAR EYE are the other logical placing contenders.
|Selections||(2) Ecopia (11) Echo Sun (6) Wonderful King (3) Mujeok Bulpae|
|Next Best||9, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 9|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(4) MIGHTY WELL races for the first time since early December but he was in good form before the layoff with a win and a runner-up at this class and distance. That puts him at the very top of the weights here and it won’t be an easy task first-up, but his class can see him through. (8) CHEONBISEONG is the big danger. He comes up in trip but significantly down in weight to a mark which should see him very competitive. Expect him to be close to the pace here and in this a long way. (5) CHEONNYEONUI BARAM comes in following a much-improved 2nd place at class and distance on February 20th when he was handy to the lead throughout. He too is nicely weighted here and can challenge again. (6) JEONGSANG KINGDOM tends to get a bit far back in his races but does usually run on and is another down in the weights today. (1) YAMUJIN DOKDO the best of the rest.
|Selections||(4) Mighty Well (8) Cheonbiseong (5) Cheonnyeonui Baram (6) Jeongsang Kingdom|
|Next Best||1, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 8|
Busan Race 6: Class 1 (2000M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
Remarkably (8) TOUCH STAR MAN hasn’t won since claiming the Minister’s Cup, the final leg of the 2020 Triple Crown, having already won the KRA Cup Mile and finishing 5th in the Derby. He’s been beaten by some good types since though and his last three races have been in top class company at Seoul including an outstanding 2nd place in the Grand Prix Stakes at 2300 and then 4th in the Segye Ilbo Cup at 1200M, showing his versatility. Down in weights, and with Perovic up, today can be his day. Don’t rule out (1) ALPHAKING IJI though. He has run super times at the distance and today draws the inside gate under a very light weight. He will be in the finish. (11) WINNER’S MAN won the Korean Derby in 2021 and while he hasn’t raced since his 5th place in the Minister’s Cup, he looked very sharp when winning a trial in late February. He too is very nicely weighted and surely goes well. Stablemates (7) THE SABER and (2) PRO CONSUL are others who can go well.
|Selections||(8) Touch Star Man (11) Winner’s Man (7) The Saber (1) Alphaking Iji|
|Next Best||2, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 8, 11|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Good race with plenty entering in form. It’s fair to say (8) MIGHTY BOOM doesn’t win out of turn but he has eleven top-four finishes from twelve starts. His latest two outings have been at 1400M, but he has run formidable times at this trip too and he can sit off the pace here before proving too strong late on. (1) OXFORD KING’s latest two outings have been disappointing but both times from wide draws he has struggled to find position. He has a much better gate today and should be much more able to show his ability. (5) RAON FASHION is a class and distance winner and is another who has run some excellent times at the distance. He is set to be on pace here and can be in this a long way. (9) COBRA BALL returns from five months out and while he offered hew clues in his trial, he has a lot of quality abut him and has won first-up before. (3) SHARK JJANG another in the placing hunt.
|Selections||(8) Mighty Boom (1) Oxford King (5) Raon Fashion (9) Cobra Ball|
|Next Best||3, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5, 9|
Seoul Race 10: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(1) LAPIEO BAN had a challenging day at the office at his latest start on Christmas Day over 1800M when he was caught three-wide with no cover and came back with some speedy cuts. She comes back to 1700M here, draws the inside, and is worth another chance. (11) RUBICON beat Lapieo Ban as the pair came home 1st and 2nd at class and distance last November when she managed to cross to lead from gate twelve. She then had a hard time in the Gyeonggi Governor’s Cup over 2000M in December but looked sharp and fit when trialing in February. She needs to lead but has proven herself capable of overcoming wide draws and can be a big danger. (8) GRAY CAT managed a solid class and distance 3rd place at his latest start on February 12th, beating a couple of today’s rivals in the process and can be taken seriously here too. (2) GEUMA SUPEME and (3) CHEONJI POKPUNG are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(1) Lapieo Ban (11) Rubicon (8) Gray Cat (2) Geuma Supreme|
|Next Best||3, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 8, 11|
Seoul Race 11: Class 1 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(7) SUPER SOCKS won at class and distance in December and while he has subsequently finished 5th in two outings over 2000M, he comes back in trip here and under a light weight, he can return to the winner’s circle today. That gives him an 8kg advantage over the class horse of the race, (4) TIZ PLAN. Two starts back he finished a big 2nd in the Owners’ Cup at Busan and his quality may see him through here but it is a big ask to give such an amount of weight away to good horses and he may have to settle for 2nd place again. (8) CARVING CROSS made a meteoric rise last year but stalled once he ran into the elite although his 6th place in the President’s Cup was by no means a bad run. This is his first time around two-tuns in a class 1 handicap and he can show he is competitive. (6) ANOTHER SMART ONE and (9) GANGTOMA are others with placing chances.
|Selections||(7) Super Socks (4) Tiz Plan (8) Carving Cross (6) Another Smart One|
|Next Best||9, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 8|