Sunday sees racing at Seoul (11 races from 10:45 to 18:00) and Busan (6 races from 12:00 to 16:40). Last year’s champion three-year-old Heat Yegam makes his season-debut in Busan while in the feature in Seoul, 2019 Korea Cup winner Moonhak Chief will be among the contenders. All betting locations across Korea are open, however, attendance must be pre-booked through the MyCard app and evidence of up to fate vaccination against Covid-19 is required:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maiden fillies open proceedings. (6) CUPID WAY is set to be a warm favourite. That’s based on her debut when she ran on well to run 2nd in a decent time behind a good winner over 1000M with an eye-catching final furlong. She comes up in trip but that should suit, and she’ll be hard to beat. It’s hard to go past (9) SONGAM BEST for second choice She beat three of these on her way to 3rd place on debut at 1000M on January 30th and can be expected to be on pace here. (3) MENI ACE and (12) DOLBAE were two of those behind Songam Best in that January race, and both can aim to improve and get closer here. There are three first time starters and among them, (10) SINHAN TEUKSONG looks to have the best chance of making an immediate impression.
|Selections||(6) Cupid Way (9) Songam Best (3) Meni Ace (12) Dolbae|
|Next Best||10, 13|
|Fast Start||5, 9, 12, 13|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(1) SUPERDIA is the one to beat here. After trailing fairly, she put in a very solid effort from gate twelve on debut to get handy to the lead and then run on for 3rd. She draws much better on the inside today and should get a softer run to the front and be hard to go past. (2) MARUMA will almost certainly jump as second-favourite. He won a (slow) trial in December and then ran on well from a long way back to make it up to 5th over 1000M on debut on January 9th. He too draws much better this time around, and the step up in trip should suit. (11) LONDON SKY has already had a couple of spins around this distance and hinted at progress last time. He can run on and into some money here. (4) GEOLJAK MAN can aim to match the 4th place he achieved at his latest start while (9) SMART BYEOL is another with money chances.
|Selections||(1) Superdia (2) Maruma (11) London Sky (4) Geoljak Man|
|Next Best||9, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Short-priced favourite here in the shape of (9) ASPENROS. Having run 3rd on debut at this distance, he stepped up to 1400M on January 29th and having settled midfield from gate twelve, ran on for 2nd place, ahead of a couple of today’s rivals. He’ll take some beating here. (1) SMART BLUE has shown improvement at his latest two with a 2nd and a 3rd, both at 1200M. He draws well here and can continue to make progress. (7) EURO GANGJA was 3rd behind Aspenros in that January 29th race. That was an improvement, but he has seven-lengths to make up on him here. (2) FLY STAR debuted adequately in the same race and should have come on for the experience. (10) NEW A ONE another who has placing chances.
|Selections||(9) Aspenros (1) Smart Blue (7) Euro Gangja (2) Fly Star|
|Next Best||10, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 8, 11, 13|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(10) MAN OF THE STAR has put in three promising runs so far including a good 3rd place over 1200M last time out when he led for much of the way around. He comes up slightly in trip today and despite the wide draw should have enough early speed to get on the lead again. This time he may not be caught. (4) GREAT CAPTAIN came home in 5th place to Man Of The Star’s 3rd on January 14th. That was an improvement from his debut, and he seemed to appreciate the step up in trip. He gets a little further today, and more development is possible. (6) GRAND SUN too hasn’t done much wrong in two outings to date, registering a 3rd and a 4th, both at 1200M. He will be on pace or handy here and can go close. (7) QUALITY QUEEN and (1) RAON THE FIGHTING, are others to consider for at least a place.
|Selections||(10) Man Of The Star (4) Great Captain (6) Grand Sun (7) Quality Queen|
|Next Best||1, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Tricky one where only four of the twelve have tackled the 1700M before. (1) KING MOUNTAIN has never gone further than 1200M, but he has consistently run fair times and made a significant breakthrough when 2nd at his latest start on January 9th. When sitting handy and running on. He draws nicely on the inside again and may be worth taking a chance on here. (2) NAUI NARA comes in off back-to-back 3rd place finishes over 1400M and 1300M, the former time beating a few of today’s rivals. Expect him up on pace as well and he can go close. (8) DIVINE POWER has raced at this distance before and while he is yet to finished in the top-three in thirteen attempts, this is the kind of company in which he can pick up a cheque. (4) NAMSAN DREAM and (6) BLACK KING are others to enter the calculations.
|Selections||(1) King Mountain (2) Naui Nara (8) Divine Power (4) Namsan Dream|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 9, 12|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Fillies and mares only here. Despite the wide draw, (14) RADAR is going to be the favourite here. Having trailed well, she was a front-running 2nd on debut at this distance on January 28th, only going down by a small margin in a good time. The same apprentice jockey keeps the weight very light, and she will be expected to win here. (13) SAVE US didn’t do an awful lot in two starts last summer but returned on Christmas Eve after a few months off and has longed a much better prospect in two outings since. She has registered a 2nd and a 3rd, both at this distance and both in decent times. She too has a wide draw to overcome but should be equal to it. Those two should fill out the quinella in either order. (4) STELLA QUEEN may appreciate the step up in trip and could be an each-way price. (6) HAVANA JANE is the most experienced in the race by some margin; obviously not a good thing at class 6 but she has shown flashes of ability and has run good times at the trip. First-timer (9) LIONESS, potentially another who can go well.
|Selections||(14) Radar (13) Save Us (4) Stella Queen (6) Havana Jane|
|Next Best||9, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 12, 14|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Competitive race. (5) HEUNGHAENG DAEBAK was a winner over 1300M at class 6 level two starts back before beating a couple of these on his way to an in now way disgraced 6th on his first try at this class having navigated his way across from gate fourteen. He does come up a little in the weights today but draws much better and has a chance. (8) POWER BOX will probably be favourite. It’s fair to say that he has mixed his form across five starts so far, including a disappointing showing last time out. He has run good times at this distance and if we catch him in-form, he may be too good. (11) SEUNGSEUNG POWER comes back in trip following good showings at 1300M and 1400M. He comes up in the weights and doesn’t draw well but can be considered. (4) DESK TAP was disappointing last time behind, among others, Seungseung Power, but is better than that and can be given another chance. (13) DONMA was a shock winner on debut and could be anything.
|Selections||(5) Heunghaeng Daebak (8) Power Box (11) Seungseung Power (4) Desk Tap|
|Next Best||13, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 8, 9, 14|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Fillies and mares only and another tricky one. (13) WIND HIGH is the one to beat. She is yet to finish worse than 3rd in five outings and has run fast times at this distance, including when winning emphatically at class 6 level in December. At her latest start on January 28th, she ran a good 2nd, again at this distance, and while she comes up in weights and out to a wider gate, she can go one better here. Also looking to go one better is (8) OCEAN STORM. She has finished as runner-up in all three of her appearances so far, all at 1200M. She comes up in trip but is likely to be on pace or handy and can go close here. (10) WONDERFUL RAISE came up short when tried twice in elite Juvenile company at the end of last year. Prior to those races, she had been going well and returning from almost three months off, this may be a more suitable assignment. (3) BARAM GONGJU and (9) NEW LUX are others who can place.
|Selections||(13) Wind High (8) Ocean Storm (10) Wonderful Raise (3) Baram Gongju|
|Next Best||9, 2|
|Fast Start||7, 8, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Wide open race. (4) WONPYEONG COD was an all the way winner on debut over 1000M on January 29th. He comes up in class and in distance but carries less weight, draws well, and could win again. (8) HANGANG CHAMP has three runner-up finishes from four starts so far, including at his latest start at class and distance on January 29th, when he came from off the pace to run on strong, albeit some way behind a very good winner. He can be a danger today. (2) AROMA was a class and distance winner three starts back and comes in following a useful 4th on January 22nd. He does come up in the weights off that performance but that’s balanced a little by a better draw and he should be competitive. (11) PRINCESS SOCKS and (1) DONGHAENG, the latter up in class following a good win at this distance, are others in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(4) Wonpyeong Cod (8) Hangang Champ (2) Aroma (11) Princess Socks|
|Next Best||1, 12|
|Fast Start||5, 10, 11, 13|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Not a hugely strong race on form. We’ll disregard the latest outing from (13) DAEHOMAand instead go on his previous start, when he won at this class and distance and his regular money finishes before that. He goes best when racing forward and will need some luck from the barrier but must be in the mix. (6) SINJIN GANGHO beat Daehoma last time out and generally isn’t too far away. He has a better draw today and while he tends to get quite far back in his races, he isn’t the worst here. (14) WAKANDA comes in with consistent form including a 3rd and a 2nd from his latest two, both at class and distance. He can settle midfield and run on so the barrier shouldn’t be an obstacle. (2) NAMDO ILDEUNG is yet to win and comes up in class here, but her latest two have been encouraging, she draws well, carries a light weight, and could sneak a place at each-way odds. (10) GOLDEN KAISER the best of the rest.
|Selections||(13) Daehoma (6) Sinjin Gangho (14) Wakanda (2) Namdo Ildeung|
|Next Best||10, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(13) JANGSAN LASER has won three from five in total, including his latest two, which were both at 1400M and most recently at this class. He overcame a wide draw last start on January 22nd to beat a field containing a few of today’s rivals and while he is even wider this time and carries more weight, he will be a warm favourite to prevail again. (2) MJ POINT ran 2nd in that January 22nd race. She is yet to win from twelve attempts but has a nice draw, a light weight, and a chance here. (4) VICEROY is an ultra-consistent type with ten top-five finishes from twelve starts so far. He will be on pace here and should be involved at the business end once more. (5) NAESAENGAE CHOEGO hinted at a return to form with a 4th place at his latest start. He has the fastest time among these at the distance by some margin, so don’t rule out a good run at big odds. (1) GREAT THUNDER another in the hunt.
|Selections||(13) Jangsan Laser (2) MJ Point (4) Viceroy (5) Naesaengae Choego|
|Next Best||1, 3|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6, 8|
Busan Race 5: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
A good race this. (1) DOCTOR TAKE is in solid form and while he is up in class here, he is significantly down in weight. He registered two runner-up finishes at class 4 level and won at this distance at class 5. He will need to find a little more here but can measure up to the challenge. (12) YEONGGWANGUICHUKJE will probably start as favourite. He is very consistent and beat three of these on his way to 3rd place at class and distance last time out. The draw isn’t ideal, but he should be in this a long way. (10) UNJU EUTTEUM is a winner of his latest two to get rapidly promoted to this class. He has his first go at the distance here but ran on when winning over a mile last time so looks to be in the hunt. (11) STAR EYE is another up in class following 2nd place over 1400M when he settled midfield and ran on well. He has placed at 1800M and can be in the finish here. (4) BURNING PARTY can have her latest start disregarded and be given another chance today.
|Selections||(1) Doctor Take (12) Yeonggwanguichukje (10) Unju Eutteum (11) Star Eye|
|Next Best||4, 3|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 12|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Fillies and mares only here and (9) K N MAGIC will be the hot favourit. She was a winner at this class over 1200M in November and has since run a 3rd and a 4th with the 3rd being at this distance. She usually settles back and runs on so the draw is fine, and she should win. (7) WORLD FORCE won back-to-back races in October and November to get rapidly promoted to this class. She didn’t especially impress on her first crack at it on February 18th but steps up in trip today and can be given another chance. (3) MAGIC GRACE too was scarcely a factor on her first try at this class over 1400M on January 29th but had previously shown good form and is worth another chance here. (8) DAEJIUI YEOGEOL finished ahead of World Force when 4th at this class over 1200M on January 22nd and along with (5) CHOEGO CAMP, is another with place chances.
|Selections||(9) K N Magic (7) World Force (3) Magic Grace (8) Daejiui Yeogeol|
|Next Best||5, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 7|
Busan Race 6: Class 1 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(7) HEAT YEGAM was the winner of the KRA Cup Mile and Minister’s Cup and runner-up in the Korean Derby to be crowned Champion three-year-old last autumn. He’s won nine of eleven in total and resumes here back at sprint distance. He has win three times at 1200M in fast times. He’s an exciting horse and he will be the odds-on favourite. (2) DOCTOR CARSON has wobbled a little of late but is worth thought here from a nice draw and with a class drop from his last start in the Segye Ilbo Cup. He should be right in this. (3) SSONSAL tends to do his best work at 1400M but has won twice at class and distance too. He’s nicely drawn as he likes to race forward or handy, and he shouldn’t be dismissed. (5) DORAONPOGYEONGSEON may have more mature legs than most but is still very capable and while he seems to prefer a little further these days, he shouldn’t be ruled out. (10) GOOD CASTING beat both the previous two mentioned last time out and can go well again
|Selections||(7) Heat Yegam (2) Doctor Carson (3) Ssonsal (5) Doraonpogyeongseon|
|Next Best||10, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 7, 11|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
It’s hard to look too far past (8) SOUL MERIT. He enters here having won his latest two at 1200M and 1400M, the latter being at this class on January 15th when he went right back at the start and worked home very strongly. He comes up a little in the weights but not too much and he has big claims here. (13) MAX RUN got promoted to this class with a win over this distance last November and then ran well for 3rd on his first try at it on January 8th. He comes up 2kg in the weights and doesn’t draw well but she is capable of coming from off the pace so shouldn’t be too disadvantaged, and she may be considered. (3) JANGSAN MISSILE won four races in a row up to last July. He has only raced twice since then and not at all since November, but he comes back in trip here and may be considered. (7) LUCKY WORLD and (2) MUNHAK SUN are others in the frame.
|Selections||(8) Soul Merit (13) Max Run (3) Jangsan Missile (7) Lucky World|
|Next Best||2, 6|
|Fast Start||7, 10, 11, 13|
Seoul Race 10: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
A race of many chances with half the field coming in having won their respective latest starts. (11) ACHIM HAMSEONG is a mare with good staying form having won her last start at this class and distance on January 23rd, when she settled back in the field and ran on. That continued a solid run of results, and she has every chance of winning again. (10) RAON CHAMPSELY comes in seeking a hat-trick of wins having scored at 1200M and 1400M in her latest two. She is up in weight and tackles two turns for the first time but looks firmly in this. (4) ETERNAL MEMORY too is on a hat-trick with wins in his last two including a good one at class and distance on January 22nd when he beat a number of these, racing handy all the way. From gate four, he should get a similar run and have a big chance. (6) JOY BROTHER is yet another last start winner, when handy and running on. He is yet to try this distance but gives every indication it will be no problem. (5) DREAM FASHION – hampered at the start last time out but still ran 2nd – among many others to consider.
|Selections||(11) Achim Hamseong (10) Raon Champsely (4) Eternal Memory (6) Joy Brother|
|Next Best||5, 1|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 11: Class 1 (2000M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(10) HEUK JEONSA is a winner of nine races and was a very good 2nd last start when handy in the run and finishing strongly in a field similar to today. He comes down significantly in the weights and is the one to beat. The presence of (2) MOONHAK CHIEF is what brings everything else’s weight down. He did win under 60kg two starts back though before having a hard time in the Grand Prix. His quality can see him close so keep him safe. (4) SIMJANGUI GODONG won the Group 1 President’s Cup (restricted to Korean-bred horses) before running fairly for 5th in the Grand Prix Stakes (not restricted to Korean-bred horses). He is nicely drawn, down in weight, and can be considered. (3) BRIGADIER GENERAL is much more talented than his results suggest as he has an uncanny knack for finding trouble. He gets himself in very unpromising positions before running home strongly and is a place chance here. (8) WINNER GOLD another with placing claims.
|Selections||(10) Heuk Jeonsa (2) Moonhak Chief (4) Simjangui Godong (3) Brigadier General|
|Next Best||8, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 7, 10|