Sunday’s racing is at Seoul (11 races from 10:45 to 18:00) and at Busan (6 races from 12:00 to 16:40). All betting locations are open as usual but attendance must be pre-booked through the MyCard app and evidence of vaccination against Covid-19 is required. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens with four of the fourteen racing for the first time and a couple of them look promising. Experience will be on top though with the most experienced, with three starts to his name, (5) TES GO DAEBO set to be the logical favourite. They have seen him accrue a 2nd and two 4th placed finishes with that 2nd coming at this distance. He can sit on pace or handy from a good draw and should have too much. (9) USEUNG BARAM ran a very encouraging 2nd on his debut over 1000M on January 15th when running on from midfield. The extra furlong can suit, and he should be competitive. Turning to the first timers, (6) PUREUN NARAE was fastest in trials, leading for much of her heat. An apprentice booking means she carries a light weight. (2) BLACK BEOMI won her trial by plenty and while it wasn’t a fast time, she looked to have lots more in the tank. She draws very nicely and can put in a bold showing first-up. (8) GOLDEN THUNDER went back to trial after an indifferent debut and looked quite sharp. Expect improvement.
|Selections||(5) Tes Go Daebo (9) Useung Baram (6) Pureun Narae (2) Black Beomi|
|Next Best||8, 14|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Maiden fillies and mares. (5) EUNHYE SERVE has shown plenty of promise across three starts to date and stepped up to this distance at her latest outing on January 8th and beat three of today’s rivals on her way to 3rd place when on pace throughout. She draws better this time, should be on pace again and may take some beating. (14) P N S HER ran adequately in the Munhwa Ilbo Cup at just her second start last October. She then put in two ordinary performances before running an improved 4th behind Eunhye Serve a month ago. She draws even wider today but Munro gets on and she can go close. (11) COMPLETE LUCKY was an also-ran in that January race, starting slowly and scarcely getting involved. She had previously shown flashes of speed and with a better start today, can get closer. (6) NEW SMART showed signs of starting to figure things out when running on for 4th at this distance on January 15th and can continue to make progress here. (3) CHEONUNCHONG finished off nicely at 1000M last time and may like the additional furlong.
|Selections||(5) Eunhye Serve (14) P N S Her (11) Complete Lucky (6) New Smart|
|Next Best||3, 8|
|Fast Start||5, 11, 12, 13|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Good little maiden this. (7) MORNING PEARL enters in good form with a 2nd and a 3rd from her latest two, most recently coming from well back over 1200M. She only comes up 1kg in the weights, draws fairly and the step up in trip can be to her benefit. (8) NEOREUL EUNGWONHAE has shown some decent speed across her three starts so far with the best being a swift 2nd at 1000M. She beat two of these on her way to 4th place at 1200M at her latest start on Boxing Day when she settled midfield and ran on and looks firmly in this today. (10) THUNDER HORSE comes back in trip after a creditable 3rd place over 1700M on January 8th. That equaled his best finish and having run a good time at this trip in the past, can match it again today. Draw a line through the latest run by (4) ORGALIM when from a wide draw he worked hard to get to position over 1200M before weakening. Instead go on his good 2nd place two starts back. He should be on pace here and will be in this a long way. (11) WILD SOCKS another in the frame.
|Selections||(7) Morning Pearl (8) Neoreul Eungwonhae (10) Thunder Horse (4) Orgalim|
|Next Best||11, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 1|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens with every horse in the race tackling the 1300M for the first time. After an ordinary debut, (4) RAON THE TANK was a much-improved 2nd when from a wide gate he settled midfield and ran on strong over 1200M on January 14th. He comes up slightly in trip again but draws significantly better and could well have too much here. Logical second choice is (9) ADELE STELLA. He comes back in trip after a solid 3rd place at 1600M on January 7th finishing off well from midfield and should be close here. (1) VICTORY NINE may appreciate the step up in trip. All his previous starts have been at 1000M, and he has run adequately but from the inside gate today and with further to play with, he may be a tougher prospect. (10) JOSEPHINE QUEEN and (11) SOUTHERN KING didn’t finish too far back on their respective debuts, and both have the potential to improve here.
|Selections||(4) Raon The Tank (9) Adele Stella (1) Victory Nine (10) Josephine Queen|
|Next Best||11, 13|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 10, 11|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(1) POSA POSA performed poorly on his first try at this distance on January 8th, finishing back in the field. He was later found to have some swelling in his right foreleg. He came back into training in the last week of January and from the inside gate and amongst company that can best be described as modest, he can win. That will mean overturning the form from that race on (2) LAGERTHA, who notched his second consecutive 5th place finish. He comes down slightly in the weights today with a small apprentice claim and looks the most credible danger. (5) B J FLASH did little in three outings last year but has subsequently been through two trials, winning the second of them, and may well be a different prospect tackling two turns for the first time. (3) HANI and (8) CLOUTER among other chances in a race with very ordinary form.
|Selections||(1) Posa Posa (2) Lagertha (5) B J Flash (3) Hani|
|Next Best||8, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5, 9|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(2) SEONGSIL CHOEGO has raced just twice with a 6th on debut followed by 4th at start number two on January 7th when he worked hard from a wide gate to get on pace. He comes into a better gate today which should give him an easier run in the race and that can allow him to overturn the form on main danger and possible betting favourite (1) DAEHO NURI. The latter comes in following 3rd place in that January 7th race when settling back and running on. He also has the fastest time among these at the distance to his name and is sure to be in the finish once more. (3) GREEN CHEETAH ran an improved 5th last time out at 1400M and while back in trip, draws well and has a very light weight with an apprentice taking 3kg off her back. (7) BLUE CAPTAIN should be better for coming back in trip today after two spins around 1400M. His best result was 3rd at 1200M last November in a good time. (6) YEONGCHEON POWER is another in the frame.
|Selections||(2) Seongsil Choego (1) Daeho Nuri (3) Green Cheetah (7) Blue Captain|
|Next Best||6, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 7, 11|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Fillies and mares only here. (6) BAEKDU GIRL was a good winner on debut on December 18th when she sat handy early, hitting the front in the straight to run on comfortably over 1000M. She comes up in class and in distance here but has every chance of maintaining her 100% record. (1) HWASUBOON is yet to finish any worse than 5th in five starts so far. That 5th was last time, and it was her first try at this class and distance, but the margins weren’t huge and from the inside gate today, she should be close. (11) BURUI YEOWANG ran 3rd in that race, which was her 7th top-five finish from eight attempts. She is tactically versatile so the wide draw shouldn’t be too much of a hindrance to her chances here. (14) BEST TORCH and (13) RAON THE DASH both come up in class following last start wins, the latter at this distance and the former on debut, and both should be able to measure up in this company despite the unhelpful draws.
|Selections||(6) Baekdu Girl (1) Hwasuboon (11) Burui Yeowang (14) Best Torch|
|Next Best||13, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 11, 13|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(1) LEGEND NUMBER ONE comes up in class and in distance following his maiden win at start number two over 1200M on January 14th at this distance. He is down in weight, draws superbly and the jockey/trainer combination ensures he will be favourite. (3) ALIVE STAR was an excellent winner 1200M at class 6 level on December 19th coming from just behind the early leaders to score comprehensively. He is up in class here but surely measures up and has claims again. So too a third last start winner in the shape of (13) STELL LUNA. Her win came at 1300M, but she hasn’t ben worse than 4th in four appearances to date and has posted good times at today’s trip. She doesn’t get the best of the draw but carries a light weight and should not be dismissed. (4) CHEONGHO LEADER is a perennial non-winner but knows how to bank money in this company and along with (10) GWANGDAESEUNGCHEON is a placing chance.
|Selections||(1) Legend Number One (3) Alive Star (13) Stell Luna (4) Cheongho Leader|
|Next Best||10, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 13|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Competitive race here. (8) GOOD NISEN made all to win well at start number two over 1200M on January 16th. He comes up in class here but showed enough to suggest there is more to come and he can win again. Big danger is (6) BEOLMAL DAEJANG. Ultra-consistent, he may be winless, but he has only finished outside the top four once in eleven starts. He comes back in trip after a string of solid performances around 1400M, most of which he has led in until the final stages. He comes up a full 5kg from his latest showing when 2nd on January 9th as an apprentice is not engaged this time, but he will be a big factor. (2) RAON THE JET coms up in class and distance having won at the second time of asking on November 27th. Both starts so far have been at 1000M, but he has shown good speed and is in the frame here. Yet another up in class following a good win is (13) SAENAE POWERFUL. His win came at this distance on January 9th when sitting handy early and finishing off well. The draw does him no favours today, but he can measure up in this company. (9) BIG BIT among others in the placing hunt.
|Selections||(8) Good Nisen (6) Beolmal Daejang (2) Raon The Jet (13) Saenae Powerful|
|Next Best||9, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 12, 13|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(9) DAEHOMA had been working towards his maiden win which finally came at the twelfth time of asking on January 14th when beating a number of today’s rivals at class and distance having settled just behind the early leaders and then run on. He comes up 2.5kg in the weights as a result but he is the one to beat again. (2) TOP ADELE led for much of the way around on his latest start on January 9th, ultimately finishing in 4th place in a good time. He draws well to lead and will be in this a long way. (3) STORM BROWN comes back in trip after recent good work over 1800M. He carries a light weight and from a good gate can settle back and run on here. (7) MENIFEE SONG comes up in class after winning at start number four over 1400M a month ago. Stretching out further may suit him even more and he can go close. (12) SINJIN GANGHO doesn’t draw well but has the smartest finish among these and will be running past plenty late on.
|Selections||(9) Daehoma (2) Top Adele (3) Storm Brown (7) Menifee Song|
|Next Best||12, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Not a lot of convincing recent form here but (6) WILDLY ROMANTIC returned to action in December after five months out and ran a creditable 3rd place over 1200M, running on well as has been his tendency. He comes up to the 1400M for the first time and it may well suit. He will compete for favourite status with (9) ANYANG OXEN. He comes back to a trip at which he consistently runs well and has the fastest time at among these by a wide margin and at his best he wins. (4) YUJEONG CHAMP has lost his way a little since being considered good enough for a run in the KRA Cup Mile last October. He too has posted good times for this distance and today seems a more suitable assignment than those he has had recently. (10) CHOEGO RACE struggled around two turns last time out but today should be more comfortable and he, along with last start runner-up (8) ACE CHAN are among other placing hopes.
|Selections||(6) Wildly Romantic (9) Anyang Oxen (4) Yujeong Champ (10) Choego Race|
|Next Best||8, 7|
|Fast Start||6, 8, 9, 10|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Competitive race. (5) KING ALLIE has finished no worse than 3rd in five starts so far and comes in having been narrowly defeated by debut-maker Bolaven (who went on to run a very solid 3rd place in a better race than this on Friday) at this distance on January 16th. He does come up in the weights, but he is the one to beat. (10) BUSANHANG GALMAEGI has been similarly consistent across his six starts, winning three of them. He goes best when on pace wo the draw isn’t ideal but if he can find a good position then he will be in the finish. (2) CATCH THE VICTORY ran 2nd to King Allie two starts back over this distance at class 5 level before picking up a win of his own on January 7th when he made all. He carries plenty of weight again but that’s offset a little by a nice draw and he will be a danger. (1) BURNING FLY and (7) MINYEOBONG, in no particular order, look to be the other serious placing contenders.
|Selections||(5) King Allie (10) Busanhang Galmaegi (2) Catch The Victory (1) Burning Fly|
|Next Best||7, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 10, 11|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Absolutely wide-open race. Without a huge amount of confidence, we’ll go with (7) MONEY SIJANG to convert his form from his very good win at 1200M to 1400M here. A very consistent money winner with just the two wins but no fewer than twelve top-five finishes from fifteen attempts, he tends to settle back and run on strongly and he has as good a chance as any here. (3) BOMNALUI GIEOK was a class and distance winner on January 16th when he settled midfield and ran on strong. He comes up a full 4kg in the weights but warrants respect here. (1) HI HI comes up in class and in distance following a good win over 1200M in January. He has a 3rd place at this distance in a fair time to his name and can be considered again. (14) FOX POWER gets no favours with the draw but that is offset a little by the light weight. He came from off the pace to win at this distance at class 5 level on January 9th and should measure up at this level. (12) THE QUEEN JUSTICE another to consider.
|Selections||(7) Money Sijang (3) Bomnalui Gieok (1) Hi Hi (14) Fox Power|
|Next Best||12, 5|
|Fast Start||4, 9, 11, 14|
Busan Race 6: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
Two standouts here and very little to choose between them. Choose we must, so we’ll take (4) DOMINATION. After six consecutive wins he has come unstuck at his latest two including a narrow 3rd last time when racing against lots of today’s rivals. His draw is better today, and we’ll go for him to return to winning ways. You Hyun-myung, who has ridden Domination in his last five races, climbs aboard the main rival (8) SUCCESS MACHO. His only defeat so far came in the Owners’ Cup and he returned to winning ways with a crushing score over a mile last time at class 3 level. He won his only previous try at this distance and while he gives 3.5kg to Domination, it would be no surprise if he won again today. (5) POWER WONDERFUL edged out Domination for 2nd place on January 9th and warrants respect while (7) JANGSAN DOKKI and (6) WORLD TODAY are other credible contenders.
|Selections||(4) Domination (8) Success Macho (5) Power Wonderful (7) Jangsan Dokki|
|Next Best||6, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
In a tough race, we’ll take a chance on (1) MONEY CHAMP. At his last start, he bolted in by eight-lengths over this distance. It was at class 4 level, so this is stiffer, but he is again drawn well and has a big chance at potentially an each-way price. (12) JEDIwas a class and distance winner last start in a good time and is well suited under the set weight conditions here. Her racing pattern is to settle midfield or better then run-on, so the draw should be fine, and she can win again. (9) PARK WIN is probably the deserved betting favourite, entering off a super run of form with back-to-back wins in his latest two, both over 1400M. It’s been a while since he raced at such a short distance which may be a concern for some, but no reason why he can’t have a big say here. (8) MENI CHAMP has come back to his preferred 1200M in his last 2 starts and expressed with a win and a 2nd; last start he won when leading but he can go well when racing handy. Up in weight and a wider draw today is a challenge but he is up to this. (10) OXFORD KING is lightly raced but has solid form with two wins at this distance. He was pretty ordinary last start but is worth another chance here. (11) DREAM KNOCK another with solid chances.
|Selections||(1) Money Champ (12) Jedi (9) Park Win (10) Oxford King|
|Next Best||11, 8|
|Fast Start||5, 10, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 10: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(3) QUEENS TOUR is hard to go past here based on her recent efforts in the Filly Triple Crown where she ran well in all three legs, most recently a close 3rd in the Gyeonggi Governor’s Cup. She is well drawn today and, in this company, will take some beating. (7) TYCHE FIRE is the logical second choice, coming to notice on the basis of his last start when midfield and running on well for 2nd place at class and distance. He is versatile and has won when handy to the lead. (6) CHEONGDAM TANK has placed consistently and ran a close 3rd at her latest start when midfield and running on at class and distance on December 19th. She comes up 2kg in the weights but will be in contention. (5) SIMPLE STYLE is worth some consideration as he has shown improvement in each of his three starts at this class and distance. Last time from a wider gate he settled back in the field and ran on for a close 3rd so don’t dismiss. (8) EOSEOWA another with chances.
|Selections||(3) Queens Tour (7) Tyche Fire (6) Cheongdam Tank (5) Simple Style|
|Next Best||8, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 11: Class 1 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
(4) WANG BEOTKKOT is yet to win in Class 1 and yet to even run beyond a mile, but he has solid form coming into this race. At his last start he took his chance in the Group 3 Owners’ Cup at Busan over a mile and ran on very well for a close 3rd. The extra distance may not pose a problem today and from a nice draw, a drop in strength in terms of opposition and with the weight in his favour, he is the one to beat. (12) DARK PLAYER is also yet to win at this class but has been consistent of late and last start beat plenty of these when settling back in the field and running on for a close 3rd. He has placing chances again. (9) THE GUMPU is a talented galloper who comes into a slightly easier race here than his recent assignments. He may sit handy here from gate nine and should be in it a long way. (7) IRON SOCKS has won two of his last five starts, both at this distance. He was disappointing over 2000M last time but is worth thought back in trip. (3) GANGTOMA shouldn’t be too far away.
|Selections||(4) Wang Beotkkot (12) Dark Player (9) The Gumpu (7) Iron Socks|
|Next Best||3, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 11, 14|