The capital’s racing year kicks off on Saturday with 9 races from 10:45 to 1800. Betting locations are open but attendance must be pre-booked through the MyCard app. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Three-year-old maidens to get the card underway with nine of the twelve racing for the very first time. We’ll side with experience and (11) K N TIZWON who, after a promising trial, ran 4th on debut back on November 20th. While the time wasn’t fast, he should have come on for the experience and despite the wide draw, he can win this. The main danger – and possible favourite – is one of the first timers. (7) BEST TORCH trialed up all the way back in September but trialed up well and while it has taken some time to get her to the races, she looks capable of going well first-up. (3) BE FLOWER also trialed well, in her case in December. She draws nicely here and under a light weight should be in the mix. (10) CONCORD SPARK similarly hinted at ability in her heat. Returning to those with prior experience, (1) HUMMING BIRD is perhaps the most likely to improve.
|Selections||(11) K N Tizwon (7) Best Torch (3) Be Flower (10) Concord Spark|
|Next Best||1, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5, 7|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(6) COMPLETE LUCKY has improved across three starts so far, culminating in 2nd place at his latest outing in November when handy all the way around. He stretches out to 1200M for the first time, should be on pace from the start, and is the one to beat. (9) RAON THE DASH ran 3rd behind Complete Lucky at what for both was their latest outings. For her two that was an improvement, and she can maintain her progress here. (8) GEOLJAK DREAM ran on well for 3rd place over 1000M on December 5th. She too steps up in trip for the first time and looks firmly in the hunt. (10) EUNHYE SERVE put in two consistent runs for 4th and 2nd over 1000M and while the draw is a little wide here, she should be competitive. (11) P N S HER hasn’t impressed in her latest two but ran well in the Munhwa Ilbo Cup three starts back so there is evidently some ability there.
|Selections||(6) Complete Lucky (9) Raon The Dash (8) Geoljak Dream (10) Eunhye Serve|
|Next Best||11, 2|
|Fast Start||6, 8, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(8) DOUBLE TAKE is yet to finish in the top two from nine attempts but has five top-five finishes, including in each of her latest four. She has generally come from off the pace and worked home well, including last time at 1300M and it is possible the extended trip today can work in her favour. It certainly seemed to suit (5) BUL HWASAN as he recorded his best finish to date when 4th at it on December 5th. He should have benefited from that and can be a danger here. (9) THUNDER HORSE also has a 4th place to his name over this distance which he achieved three starts back. He has maintained his consistent run of form since then with two subsequent 4th places at shorter and he should be challenging for a place here. (11) POSA POSA and (7) LAGERTHA are others in the frame.
|Selections||(8) Double Take (5) Bul Hwasan (9) Thunder Horse (11) Posa Posa|
|Next Best||7, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 7, 11|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Tricky one with a big field. (7) HI HI has finished in the top-three in six of eight starts so far and has the fastest time among any of these for the distance. He was only 6th at his latest start but the margins weren’t huge, and he has every chance here. (10) REAL PACK comes in following two very solid performances over 1400M, the latter when 4th at this class. He comes back in trip today and could well have a say in the finish here. (3) OLD SPECIAL took a couple of races to get to grips with this level but enters in consistent form. He draws well here and should be in this a long way. (9) FORT SEUONE hinted at a return to form with 4th place in a decent time at class and distance a month ago and can be a danger here. Similarly, (2) RAON THE TIGER has mixed his form of late but Moon Se-young climbing aboard will make punters take note.
|Selections||(7) Hi HI (10) Real Pack (3) Old Special (9) Fort Seuone|
|Next Best||2, 13|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6, 9|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
A very competitive race with plenty of potential winners. We’ll take a chance on (10) FAST TRACK, who comes up in class following his maiden win at start number four over this distance on December 4th when he sat handy before running away to score comfortably. This is harder but he drew wide that day as well and he looks to have potential for more. (5) MEOTJIN GIROK also comes up in class following his maiden win which came when he made all over 1200M. He tackles this trip for the first time but has a great draw and can be expected to lead again. (8) K N MENIQUEEN can be expected to improve on her first-up run on December 5th when she was never a factor. She has plenty of ability and can aim to place here. (9) OLD BLADE and (3) SONGAM CAT are among others who can go close.
|Selections||(10) Fast Track (5) Meotjin Girok (8) K N Meniqueen (9) Old Blade|
|Next Best||3, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 8, 12|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(9) KING ACE has put in three very consistent runs since returning from nine months off, all of them at class and distance, in good times and finishing close. He is not the best of starters but can sit handy or go back and run on and he could well be peaking here. A winner of two from five so far, (10) LUMINOUS QUEEN comes up in class after scoring over 1300M on November 27th when sitting handy and then running on. It’s her first time over this trip but and she draws a little wide, but she should measure up in this company. So too should (6) YELLOW CAT. She’s won two in a row to be rapidly promoted to this class, but she made all to win at this distance in a fast time at class 5 level at her latest outing and from a good draw and under a light weight, she will be in this. (8) GANGSEO PRINCESS and (1) GEOSEN DOLPUNG are others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(9) King Ace (10) Luminous Queen (6) Yellow Cat (8) Gangseo Princess|
|Next Best||1, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(2) CHEONJI ULLIM is set to be a warm favourite here. He was a good winner over 1400M at class 5 level two starts back before going down to a very narrow defeat on his first crack at this class on December 4th. He ran fairly for 4th on his only previous try at this distance, draws well and despite coming up in the weights, he is the one to beat. (11) SPEEDY ROOKIE is the logical second choice. He is yet to win but has six top-three finishes and enters on a consistent run of form at class and distance. He carries plenty of weight, but it would be no surprise to see him there or thereabouts again. (9) ELITE LINE is a class and distance winner as recently as October. He was a touch disappointing at his latest start but trialed well on Christmas Eve and should be in the hunt here. (10) CHOEGO RACE and (8) BRAVO SOCKS among others with at least placing chances.
|Selections||(2) Cheonji Ullim (11) Speedy Rookie (9) Elite Line (10) Choego Race|
|Next Best||8, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4, 10|
Seoul Race 8: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(2) MIGHTY SOO returned from six months out to run a fair 5th over 1400M at this class in November. Before the layoff, he had run well at both class and distance and has beaten plenty of today’s rivals. He should have come on for that last run draws well and has every chance. Big danger and possible favourite is (12) HEUNGROK DAEBU. He is a winner of two from his last three including and all the way score over this distance on December 5th at class 3 level. This is undoubtedly harder, and the draw is not kind, but he comes down significantly in the weights and should go close. (8) MUNHAK KING is a two-time winner over this distance at class 3 level and comes in here having beaten plenty of these on his way to 2nd place at this class and distance on December 4th. He carries the same weight today, Munro climbs aboard, and there is plenty to like. (4) JOUINIGA was 4th in that same race and can aim to match that here while (3) BLUE CHITON is another in the placing frame.
|Selections||(2) Mighty Soo (12) Heungrok Daebu (8) Munhak King (4) Jouniga|
|Next Best||3, 10|
|Fast Start||9, 10, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Big field to round out the day and (1) MENI CHAMP probably warrants favourite status based on his 2nd place in a fast time over class and distance on December 5th with a few of these behind him. He gets a great draw on this inside and can potentially go all the way here. (4) MAX RUN comes up in class but significantly down in weight having won two of her latest three. She has been posting consistently fast times and has every chance of measuring up in this company. Draw a line through the latest effort from (3) ROCKUI JEWANG when he was first-up for six months over 1800M. Today may suit better and he has undoubted ability. (10) DREAM PO RE comes in with recent form reading well and along with (2) MIREU STORM is another with placing hopes.
|Selections||(1) Meni Champ (4) Max Run (3) Rockui Jewang (10) Dream Po Re|
|Next Best||2, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 11, 12, 13|