It’s President’s Cup Sunday in Seoul. The big race has attracted a full field of sixteen and is race 8 on a 10-race program in the capital which runs from 10:45 to 18:00. There are also 7 races in Busan from 11:10 to 16:40. All betting locations throughout the country are open at 80% of capacity, however, attendance must be pre-booked through the MyCard app. Proof of vaccination against Covid-19 is required. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens kick the card off with just three of the twelve racing for the first time. (8) HANGANG CHAMP is set to be the favourite having come a good 2nd in a fast race on debut over this distance on October 30th. That followed an extremely unpromising trial, but he certainly seemed to know what to do on race day and with some natural improvement from that run, he can win. He’ll be a prohibitive favourite. Those wishing to take him on, may side with (7) GLOBAL PRIME. He beat a couple of today’s rivals when running on well for 5th on debut at this distance in a good time on October 31st. (10) GRAND POWER did nothing too wrong on his debut, recording a solid time when 6th at this distance and being close to the pace early. In contrast, (2) MAGIC RUSH came from off the pace to finish midfield in another decent time on his first attempt and is another in the placing frame here. (12) VICS GO, beaten by Global Prime on debut, perhaps the best of the rest.
|Selections||(8) Hangang Champ (7) Global Prime (10) Grand Power (2) Magic Rush|
|Next Best||12, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 8, 10|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens with just two of the twelve racing for the first time. There is some positive experience on show too. (1) RAON THE FLASH has raced twice so far, finishing 3rd on both occasions, both at 1000M in good times and most recently beating a couple of today’s rivals on October 29th. He has finished off his races well, draws the inside and can win. (2) UNJU HERO beat three of these on his way to 3rd place on debut at 1000M on October 22nd when racing on-pace throughout. He too draws well and will be expected to get a lead here with every chance of going one better. (7) JUMAL BOBAE and (11) ADELE STELLA came home 3rd and 4th respectively in that October 29th race behind Raon The Flash. Both were doing their best work late in that race and should benefit from the additional furlong today. (3) CHOEGANG MARINE was a much-improved 2nd at start number two on October 17th, coming from the middle of the pack and running on, and he is among a number of others with placing chances here.
|Selections||(1) Raon The Flash (2) Unju Hero (7) Jumal Bobae (11) Adele Stella|
|Next Best||3, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5, 6|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
A big field here but a hot favourite as (5) GLOBAL MAGIC has looked to be working his way towards a victory in his two starts to date, running 3rd and then 2nd, both times at 1000M. He has looked to have plenty of running in him at the finish the additional furlong today may well suit. (13) TAEYANGMA ran well enough when 3rd on debut to be given a crack at the Munhwa Ilbo Cup in early October. That didn’t go well as he knocked up very quickly to finish last. He has since had time off and then trialed and can be given another chance today. On both his debut and his trials, he has finished off well and Moon Se-young climbs aboard. (1) DAEBAK STAR has run well in both outings so far. He is an on-pace type so the inside gate should help his cause and he will be expected to lead. (7) ALL FOR YOUR DREAM and (3) FIRST CHOUX have also hinted at ability and may go close.
|Selections||(5) Global Magic (13) Taeyangma (1) Daebak Star (7) All For Your Dream|
|Next Best||3, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 7, 14|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(12) GREEN SPEED steps up to this distance for the first time looking in good shape following a 3rd, a 4th and a 2nd in three outings to date. He has raced at the front and come from midfield and run on so the wide draw shouldn’t be too much of a concern and he can break through here. (4) USEUNG GANGJA comes in off a career-best to date 3rd place on November 7th when he also registered the fastest time of any of these at today’s distance. He looks nicely in here to match of better today. (5) PICTURE JASPER is a stablemate of Green Speed. She hasn’t done much in her three starts so far but ran on well enough on her return from six months out three weeks ago to suggest that the additional furlong today may help. (8) DAEHO PYEONGJEONG and (1) HAEUNDAE BLUE are others who may place.
|Selections||(12) Green Speed (4) Useung Gangja (5) Picture Jasper (8) Daeho Pyeongjeong|
|Next Best||1, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Maiden fillies only here. (3) CHEOLLICHONG has been racing in tough company against the better juveniles of her crop and has been holding her own, True, she found things tough in the Munhwa Ilbo Cup at her latest start, but she can be forgiven that and given another chance today in shallower waters against more limited opposition. (11) TINA has the fastest time among those who have attempted the distance so far, something she achieved three starts back and she looks nicely in here to go close. (7) DREAM SPEED comes up in distance for the first time after three creditable attempts at 1000M. Like Cheollichong, she had been racing decent company and holding her own and may find this more amenable. (13) WONDERFUL WOMAN significantly improved at her second start, coming home in 3rd place. Her draw is not ideal here, but she has placing chances again. (14) DIAMITE another one from an even wider draw who can also enter the calculations.
|Selections||(3) Cheollichong (11) Tina (7) Dream Speed (13) Wonderful Woman|
|Next Best||14, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 7, 8|
Busan Race 3: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
(6) KKOTMURI was a big improver when stepped up to this distance for the first time on November 5th, sitting in midfield and then running on well for 2nd with four of today’s rivals behind him. He comes up slightly in the weights for that performance but nevertheless is the pick to go one better this time. (11) STORM BROWN came home in 3rd place in that race on November 5th. With an apprentice aboard, he has strong claims to go close again. (4) NAMDO ILDEUNG finished 4th in the same race, having previously run 3rd at the same distance. She draws nicely again and looks to be building up some consistency. (1) WINNER FALCON didn’t offer too many clues on debut when somewhat slow from a wide draw over 1200M and finishing in the middle of the pace. She had previously trialed well, and the extended trip may be in her favour. From the inside draw she may lead. (2) SLIM QUEEN another in the minor money hunt.
|Selections||(6) Kkotmuri (11) Storm Brown (4) Namdo Ildeung (1) Winner Falcon|
|Next Best||2, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 5, 6|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Competitive race. (1) PARAN WANGJA has run consistent times over this distance and while he was a slightly disappointing 5th over this distance at his latest start on October 9th, the margins weren’t huge. and it was arguably a tougher race than today. From the inside gate, he can get on pace early and could be the one to beat. (2) HI HI is another who has shown consistency and also holds the fastest time among these at this distance, although that was recorded back in March on a very wet track. He came from the middle of the field to run on for 3rd over 1400M at his latest start and is a danger here. So too is (12) LADY FIRST. She was a smart winner on debut in August at 1000M and while she could only manage 5th on her first try at class and distance back in September, she came back lame after that and can be given another chance here. (4) THUNDER CHAMP comes in following a runner-up finish over 1300M on October 16th when he led from the gate until the final furlong. He should be in the mix here too. (3) YUKWAEHAN NALDEUL is another who races for the first time since that race in September when she was beaten by Lady First. She will lead here and will be in this a long way.
|Selections||(1) Paran Wanga (2) Hi Hi (12) Lady First (4) Thunder Champ|
|Next Best||3, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 6, 10|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(8) HANEUL JEONSA was a commanding winner on debut on October 22nd, when he broke fairly but quickly worked his way to the front and ran to win easily. He comes up in both class and in distance today, but neither should be a problem and he can win again. (3) AGAIN TOUCH hasn’t quite kicked on from her excellent performance on debt but Touch Star Man’s half-sister should have enough about her to be competitive here. She wasn’t a factor in the Gimhae Mayor’s Cup but she gets a better draw than did in both that and her previous two races since her win and she should go close. (2) LIGHT STORY was similarly impressive on debut over 1000M but was flat on reappearance over 1400M three weeks ago. The drop back in trip may suit today. (11) UNJU EUTTEUM broke through two starts back at this distance before running 4th on his first try at this class over 1400M on November 7th, when he led for much of the way around. The draw is not great here, but he should be in the frame. (5) DAESEUNG E, a close at hand class and distance runner-up on October 31st, is another who enters the calculations in what is a good race.
|Selections||(8) Haneul Jeonsa (3) Again Touch (2) Light Story (11) Unju Eutteum|
|Next Best||5, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 5: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Fillies only here. (7) MAX RUN was a winner at this class over 1200M two starts back before running 4th on her first try at this distance on October 10th, settling back in the field and running on. She comes up in the weights a bit today but draws better and Moon Se-young aboard will tempt plenty. (2) GREEN JILJU was a class and distance winner two starts back before being tried at 1700M on her latest appearance and running 6th of twelve. This should suit more and from a great draw she should be in with a chance again. (11) POWER TOWER has finished in the top-five on eight of nine starts so far, but this will be the first time that she attempts 1400M. She came from off the pace to run 2nd at 1200M on October 30th so the wide draw is not too much of a concern and she has soli placing claims. (9) LEAD VOCAL won back-to-back races over 1200M to get promoted to this class. She was never involved in her first try at the level over 1200M a month ago but can be given another chance today. (1) FANCY PANTS another with a placing chance.
|Selections||(7) Max Run (2) Green Jilju (11) Power Tower (9) Lead Vocal|
|Next Best||1, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 7, 11|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
A very competitive race. (9) DOCTOR FAITH got his maiden win at the ninth time of asking following two 2nds and no fewer than six 3rd-place finished from his nine prior starts. He made all over 1800M and while he is up in class, he comes down in the weights and h could make all again at a distance he is racing at for the first time. (8) BUCATINI looks to be working is way back into form with a very good 2nd place in a good time over class and distance on October 2nd when he settled towards the rear of midfield and then ran on. He won’t need to improve too much on that to be right in this. (5) FASHION BLADE had a hard time over 1800M on what was his first try at this class on October 17th. She has won three of her seven starts to date up to 1400M, posting some strong times in the process. The mile should suit better, and she is a real chance. (6) RAON SKY MAN is a bit of a wildcard. This is his first start since February, but he has won three of his six outings in total, that latest February score coming at this class. He has been gelded since we last saw him and while he offered few clues in a trial last month, he has talent. (1) ACE KILLER enters in very consistent form. He has been finishing off his races well, suggesting he might be suited to further and today gets the chance to show it.
|Selections||(9) Doctor Faith (8) Bucatini (5) Fashion Blade (6) Raon Sky Man|
|Next Best||1, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(7) CHALLAN HANNAL steps up to racing at two-turns for the first time having shown good form at this class with back-to-back runner-up finishes over 1300M and 1400M, both times making up excellent ground late on. His style is to settle toward the back and then run on and this should be ideal. (8) RUN RUN RUN is yet to win in seven attempts but has three runner-up finishes to his name including his latest which was at class and distance on October 31st. He can settle midfield and run on and can go close again here. (2) WONDERFUL DEVIL is another who tackles the two-turns for the first time. She can do so with confidence, following a fine 3rd in an all-filly race at this class over 1400M on October 24th when she finished off strongly. (1) CHEONGSAN GANGHO was a touch disappointing at his last start but was later found to have been slightly lame. He was out a month and came back into work on November 10th and can go better here. (11) HAWKUI YEONGGWANG, who finished ahead of Choengsan Gangho in that October race, is another to consider.
|Selections||(7) Challan Hannal (8) Run Run Run (2) Wonderful Devil (1) Cheongsan Gangho|
|Next Best||11, 3|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 6, 10|
Busan Race 6: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Another very competitive race. (2) ACE JACKPOT beat three of these on his way to 2nd place over 1800M at class and distance on October 24th, registering the fastest time of any of these at the distance in the process (worth noting the Busan track has been extraordinarily fast for the past couple of months). He can sit handy or midfield here and put in a strong challenge late on. (7) BURNING PARTY comes in off two very sold 3rd place class and distance finishes. She led in both, draws marginally better today and from another likely lead, will be in this a long way. (8) JEONGSU SIDAE should also be on or close to the pace early. He ran 3rd behind Ace Jackpot on his latest outing continuing a consistent run of form and with an apprentice keeping the weight down, he can go close. (6) MUNHWA SIGNATURE and (9) YEONGWON POWER among others with placing chances.
|Selections||(2) Ace Jackpot (7) Burning Party (8) Jeongsu Sidae (6) Munhwa Signature|
|Next Best||9, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 7: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
The very experienced (3) MONEY ZIF doesn’t win out of turn and his racing pattern can require some luck but the six-year-old looks nicely in here after a great 2nd place last start on October 30th at class and distance when he rattled home from midfield, beating a few of these in the process. A repeat of that will see him go very close under a jockey in good form now. (11) MANSEOK JIGI came up in class last start when he was a fair 3rd behind Money Zif. That day he ran on pace and battled on well. He isn’t favoured by the draw but has early speed and will have benefitted from that run. (8) LOOKING GOOD is a winner at class and distance and resumed over 1800M last start finishing back in the field but coming back slightly lame. He has had another couple of months off since and could be a wildcard here. (5) CHEONJI YEOGEOL has been consistent at shorter distances, settling and running on. She comes up in trip here and it may suit. (1) CHOEGANG PARTY, a two-time winner at class 4 over 1700M, is another in the hunt.
|Selections||(3) Money Zif (11) Manseok Jigi (8) Looking Good (5) Cheonji Yeogeol|
|Next Best||1, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 7, 12|
Busan Race 7: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
We’ll take a chance on the up in class (4) MIRACLE DREAMING here. An excellent winner at class 3 level over 1200M last time out, his recent form at this distance is very strong too. He carries a light weight and gets a nice draw for an on-pace horse. He can win. (11) SSONSAL led all the way around at class and distance at his latest start on September 5th and he consistently runs fast times. Although he is up in weights from that day, an apprentice aboard ensures he doesn’t have to carry too much, and he has every chance again. (7) SEOBU CAT beat several of these at his latest start over 1200M when beaten only narrowly by Doctor Carson. He was 3rd to Ssonsal the time before and this race should suit him. (9) ACE KOREA is too good to leave out. Since his latest run he has blitzed a trial last week and will be in the mix. (5) DORAONPOGYEONGSEON is one of the venerable statesmen of Busan now, but the two-time SBS Sports Sprint winner showed he still has a zest for racing with a last start 2nd over 1200M and today’s 1400M is arguably a better fit.
|Selections||(4) Miracle Dreaming (11) Ssonsal (7) Seobu Cat (9) Ace Korea|
|Next Best||5, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 8: Class Open (2000M) “President’s Cup” (KOR G1) Allowance / KRW 500 Million
Wildly competitive race with a huge prize on offer. (16) TOUCH STAR MAN won the Minister’s Cup at this distance last year and been adjusting to class 1 racing in Busan with consecutive placings including 2nd to Blue Chipper over 1800M last time out in September. He has since trialed up well. He prefers to race forward so he has the challenge of the widest draw, but his ability is such that he can overcome this. Trainer Kim Young-kwan and jockey Lim Sung-sil have pretty much made this race their own over the years and he can win this. (15) FANTASTIC MAN also draws wide but must enter the equation having broken the track record for this distance at Busan only two weeks ago. The Busan track is very fast right now, but it was a statement performance nonetheless and there could be more to come. (2) SIMJANGUI GODONG was 3rd in the race two years ago and has been working up towards this trip with a competitive run when 5th behind Cheongdam Dokki over 1800M at his latest start. He is nicely drawn and should be peaking here. (4) HEUNGHAENG JILJU has placed at all his ten runs over a staying distance including a class 1 win at 2000M in August prior to his hit out over 1400M in October which we shall disregard. He likes to lead or be in a forward position and the gate should assist here. (8) CARVING CROSS and (6) SPEED FURY among many others with significant claims.
|Selections||(16) Touch Star Man (15) Fantastic Man (2) Simjangui Godong (4) Heunghaeng Jilju|
|Next Best||8, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 8, 15, 16|
Seoul Race 9: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Absolutely super race with a case to be made for almost every horse in the race. The one to beat though is (7) K N MAGIC, a winner of her last two starts including a 1200M at this class last time out when she settled handy to the lead and was resolute in the straight. She is more seasoned now and can complete a hat-trick of wins here. (2) DAESAN TEUKGEUP is a winner of his last three starts in fine style, the most recent being over 1300M. He likes to be in a forward position and therefore is aided by the draw and while he is up in class, he is down in weight. It’s his first start since early September following a setback but he is one to consider. (8) ULTRA KING raced keenly and ungenerously at his latest start at class and distance but battled on for a good 3rd. If he can relax a little more, he should be right in this. (12) LUCKY WORLD comes in after back-to-back wins over this distance, the latter at this class. He comes up in the weights and draws wide but can’t be ruled out. (6) NONGBON BADA is up in class but down in weight and is another in at least the placing hunt.
|Selections||(7) K N Magic (2) Daesan Teukgeup (8) Ultra King (12) Lucky World|
|Next Best||6, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 8, 6, 10|
Seoul Race 10: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(3) JANGSAN CLEAR bolted in at this class and distance on October 31st. He is sharply up in weight here but that is slightly offset by a better draw. He was caught a touch wide early last time but was able to tuck in behind the leaders and should be able to deal with whatever is thrown at him here. (9) RAON FASHION is another last start winner at class and distance in a good time. He led on that occasion and will aim to do so again and while up in weight, another bold showing can be expected. (5) NEW MOON WARRIOR ran 4th to Raon Fashion at his latest start when settling midfield and running on. He has a nice draw today and could easily run into the placings. (11) ECHO VICTOR may be worth some consideration on his last start 3rd. He prefers to be on pace which won’t be easy given is gate but could run into some money. (12) THIS CHALLENGE too will have to deal with the wide draw, but he has shown excellent form so far and is up in class, but significantly down in weight here.
|Selections||(3) Jangsan Clear (9) Raon Fashion (5) New Moon Warrior (11) Echo Victor|
|Next Best||12, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 9, 11|