Juveniles take centre-stage at both Seoul and Busan on Sunday afternoons with the running of the Gwacheon and Gimhae Mayor’s Cups. There are 9 races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00 and 6 at Busan from 12:10 to 17:30. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens get us underway with four of the twelve racing for the first time. (4) REMARKABLE is set to be favourite though. He ran 2nd in a good time on debut over this distance on September 18th before being tried in the valuable Munhwa Ilbo Cup for his second start at 1200M on October 3rd. From a wide draw he never really got going, finishing 6th of nine on the day but dropping back here in shallower waters, drawing well and getting Moon Se-young on his back, there is plenty to like about him. (3) DREAM SPEED has raced twice before, improving in her second outing, when she led at this distance, ultimately finishing 4th in a decent time. She should have made more progress for that and can continue to improve here. (1) GIANT KILLING ran 3rd on debut on August 22nd, settling midfield and running on. He comes in fresh after ten weeks off and can improve on that here. Among the first-time starters, (7) WONPYEONG GWANGYA was the fastest in trials and can go well first-up.
|Selections||(4) Remarkable (3) Dream Speed (12) Janggun Byeol (3) Dream Speed|
|Next Best||1, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 7, 12|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(1) NEW STAR YEONGCHEON comes in off two strong showing at 1200M, racing on pace and finishing 3rd and 4th, the latter time having come out of gate twelve. He draws the inside here and while he steps up in trip for the first time, he won’t need to improve much to win this. (5) K N TEUKGEUP also comes up in trip. He has mixed his form across six starts so far but has a 3rd place to his name and generally finishes off well. He gets a good draw and with Antonio Da Silva in the saddle can be aiming for a career best finish. (2) BIG ENERGY has been doing his best work late on in his latest two starts, both times running on strong for 4th over 1200M. The additional half furlong may well be what he needs to get even closer today. (8) SEMYEONG NARAE is the only one in the field to have a runner-up finish in her record and she comes in after beating a couple of these on her way to a fair 6th place at 1200M last start. She also has experience at 1400M which may be of benefit here. (9) MASEONG CHEONHA comes in having scored an on-pace 3rd at his latest start on September 4th and is another in the hunt although he will need a good start from an unfavourable gate.
|Selections||(1) New Star Yeongcheon (5) K N Teukgeup (2) Big Energy (8) Semyeong Narae|
|Next Best||9, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 9|
Seoul Race 3: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
A tricky race with two standouts. (5) ONE JI is already a winner having struck at class 6 level two starts back when leading all the way at this distance. He then ran a solid 3rd place at this class and distance on September 19th. He is well drawn here, and he could well get to the lead and win again. The main danger is the up in class but sure to measure up (3) YUKWAEHAN SEONTAEK. He has a 3rd, and two runner-up finishes from three starts so far, all of them over 1000M. He has run on-pace all three times and should be able to do the same here from a great draw. He has winning claims. (6) CRAZY TANK comes up in class having broken through at start number five over this distance on September 4th. He was second-up into a comeback after a few months out and could well have progressed further. He likes to be on pace, but can may settle handy and run on here. (11) FASHIONED PASSION has developed a bit of a habit of getting a bit far back in her races. The wider draw may actually help here as she can avoid traffic problems and she certainly has plenty late speed. (4) BIG RED among others in the placing frame.
|Selections||(5) One Ji (3) Yukwaehan Seontaek (6) Crazy Tank (11) Fashioned Passion|
|Next Best||4, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 5|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Maidens with four of the twelve racing for the first time. (1) GREEN SPEED looks the one to beat. He has run 3rd and 4th in two starts so far, both of them at 1000M, finishing off strong both times. He steps up in trip to 1200M for the first time and it may well suit. (11) WINNER FALCON is a debut-maker sporting the Yoshida colours. The Smart Falcon fill is a late-starter at four-years-old but trialed very competently in a decent time and looks set to make a positive first race start here. (7) CHEONGMA POWER has certainly mixed his form across four starts so far but has run well twice at this trip including his latest start when he was 2nd having been handy throughout. He can settle just behind the early speed here and be a danger at the business end again. (5) MONGTTANG was an improved 4th on his third career start on October 3rd and his first at this distance. The jockey/trainer combination will make plenty take note. First-timer (12) CHOEGANG MIJIGAE another in the placing frame.
|Selections||(1) Green Speed (11) Winner Falcon (7) Cheongma Power (5) Mongttang|
|Next Best||12, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 5|
Seoul Race 4: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(4) SPOT FLATTER comes back into shallower waters following an unsuccessful tilt at the KRA Cup Mile, the first leg of the Triple Crown, at Busan three weeks ago where he tried to sit behind an extremely hot pace but got overwhelmed, although he still finished with an extremely creditable time. How much that took out of him is a valid question but if he picks up his class 4 form where he left off, winning here on August 14th, then has every chance. (9) LAST BOSS is up in class following a good win over this distance on October 2nd. The time he recorded certainly measures up at this class and Moon Se-young taking the mount won’t harm his chances. (10) TIZ BLACK comes up in class having won his latest two, both at 1200M, by narrow margins. That takes him to three from six in total and he steps up in trip here with solid claims to make it three in a row. The draw is not ideal, but he can go close. Surely lightning doesn’t strike three times in a row with (5) CHEONJI POKPUNG. Twice in a row he has been unfancied yet swept home late to score over 1300M. He is up in class and in distance, but significantly down in weight and warrants some – perhaps reluctant -respect. (2) ULTRA KING another who is up in class today but comes down hugely in weight and draws well.
|Selections||(4) Spot Flatter (9) Last Boss (10) Tiz Black (5) Cheonji Pokpung|
|Next Best||2, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 10|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(10) LANE KILLER has run on very strong for two 3rd place finishes and a 4th in three stats so far, each time making up good ground late. He steps up to a mile for the first time and his racing pattern, suggests that it will suit and that the draw won’t matter. The step up may suit (8) OLD CHEONHA too. He returned to action following six months out on October 17th but didn’t really get into the race finishing down the field. He should have benefited from that though and can improve today. (7) CHEONGMA YEONGUNG ran an improved 3rd over 1200M on his latest start three weeks ago. He has tended to get well back in his races before running on and the additional distance to play with here can suit. (12) SINBIHAN GANGJA is the only one in the race to have a runner-up finish to his name, which came at this distance three starts back and he should be in the placing frame here. (6) TEN TEN QUEEN has the fastest time among the four who have tackled the mile before and she too can have placing aims.
|Selections||(10) Lane Killer (8) Old Cheonha (7) Cheongma Yeongung (12) Sinbihan Gangja|
|Next Best||6, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(3) GOLDEN BADGE is yet to score in eleven attempts buy has been consistently close and took to this distance well when stepped up at her latest start back in August when she ran 2nd to promising three-year-old Royal Road. This is her first start since then, but a top jockey is engaged and from a good draw, she can sit handy and run on strong. (5) REDBACK returned from almost six months out to run 3rd behind Last Boss over 1400M on October 2nd. He settled midfield and ran on strong and can step up to two turns with confidence that it will suit. He still looks to have plenty more development in him and has strong claims here. (7) TANK SOCKS has been at this class for a long time, picking up a win at 1200M but she too steps up to this distance for the first time today. She has been running consistent times over 1400M in her latest three appearances and there is no reason why she can’t be in the mix here. It’s a similar story with (6) HEUKRYONG GAMU, who comes in with the fastest average time for the final furlong of all of these. He made up excellent ground late on over 1400M to go from almost last to 4th and is another for who the step up in trip may suit. (4) RUN RUN RUN struggled on his first try at this distance in September but can be given another chance here.
|Selections||(3) Golden Badge (5) Redback (7) Tank Socks (6) Heukryong Gamu|
|Next Best||4, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 9, 10|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Since returning from several months out, (3) BANJIUI GIJEOK has run back-to-back 2nd places over 1300M and 1200M in contrasting styles, first leading and then coming from midfield. She has good draw and a light weight here and it could be her day. The big danger is (6) BUSANHANG GALMAEGI. After an inauspicious debut, which is his only try at this distance to date, he has two wins and a 3rd place at 1300M and 1400M, leading on all three occasions. He is giving weight away but draws well enough to get on ace again and he may well prove difficult to pass. (7) FLASHY CHARM was a class 6 winner on debut over 1000M and has subsequently put in two fair 5th place finishes over this class and distance. He can perhaps get on pace here and can get closer. (9) GLORY SONG has the fastest time of any of these at this distance, recorded when winning at class 6 level two starts back. She ran 6th over 1400M on her first try at this class, settling towards the back of midfield, and may benefit from dropping back in trip here. (8) DREAM DANCER another in the placing hunt.
|Selections||(3) Banjiui Gijeok (6) Busanhang Galmaegi (7) Flashy Charm (9) Glory Song|
|Next Best||8, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(8) CHEONGDAM TANK has nine top-five finishes from eleven starts with her solitary win coming three races back over this distance at class 5 level. Since then, she has put in two decent performances, dropping back to 1300M and running 4th before returning to this distance to be a beaten favourite in September. She comes up in class today but is nicely weighted and with little to fear, she can sit handy and run on to win. (5) ANYANG OXEN’s sole previous effort at this distance didn’t go well but he has since put in two solid showings over 1400M at this class and looks ready for another go. He may well look to lead and can be in this a long way. (9) BERRING MAN has a lot of two-turn experience and while yet to win, enters off a 2nd and a 4th from his latest two outings. He likes to go back and run on and will be doing his best work late here. (2) COLJOY was a good winner over this distance at class 5 two starts back. He led over 1800M at his latest outing in July before folding in the final furlong. He may have benefited from the time away and looks nicely in here from a much better draw. (1) FULL BOOSTER is the highest rated in the race and with a nice allowance, looks right in this too.
|Selections||(8) Cheongdam Tank, (5) Anyang Oxen (9) Berring Man (2) Coljoy|
|Next Best||1, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 8, 9, 10|
Busan Race 4: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
He is returning from five months out but (4) YEONGGWANGUICHUKJE is set to be a warm favourite here. While his absence ruled him out of the Triple Crown trail, he is one of the better three-year-olds and possesses a very good record at this distance with fast times. He trialed up competently earlier this month and should make a winning return here, most likely sitting handy and then running on. Another Byun Chang-duck owned horse may be one of the main dangers. (8) YEONGGWANGUI FIGHT comes in having run 3rd at class and distance on October 3rd, beating a couple of today’s rivals in the process. Very experienced, he carries a light weight here and can build on that performance. (6) ALPHA STAR comes up in class following a super win over a mile on October 1st when he made all to beat a competitive field. He comes up in trip too, but it may well suit. (2) SEONGSAN POWER ran 4th behind Yeonggwangui Fight in that October 3rd race. She doesn’t win out of turn but has proven capable of running consistently fast times at this distance and must come into the calculations. (3) POWER WONDERFUL another worthy of some thought.
|Selections||(4) Yeonngwanguichukje (8) Yeonggwangui Fight (6) Alpha Star (2) Seongsan Power|
|Next Best||3, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4, 6|
Seoul Race 7: Class 1 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 110 Million
(1) IRON SOCKS dips his toe into class 1 waters for the first time and he may find it quite amenable in what is not a strong race for the level. He was a front-running winner at this distance at class 2 level on September 9th and from a very kind draw, can get on pace again and can win again. The main danger is (4) THE GUMPU, who won back-to-back class 1 races over 2000M and 1800M in June and August, beating a number of today’s rivals in the process. He is carrying the same 56kg that he struggled a little under last time out though and while he is drawn well to get a favourable position, he may just be edged out here. (12) DARK PLAYER could be worth some thought at odds. He comes back up in trip following two great runs at 1200M and 1400M and with his racing pattern meaning the draw isn’t especially important, he may surprise a few by running on late. (3) CLEAR GEOM put in a big run over 2000M at her latest start in August with a 3rd place signaling a potential return to form and in what is a considerably softer race here, she has claims. (11) PLATINUM EURO another in the hunt.
|Selections||(1) Iron Socks (4) The Gumpu (12) Dark Player (3) Clear Geom|
|Next Best||11, 5|
|Fast Start||5, 8, 9, 11|
Busan Race 5: Class Open (1200M) “Gimhae Mayor’s Cup” (KOR-L) Allowance / KRW 200 Million
(4) YEONNGWANGUILEGEND won the Areumdan Jilju Stakes four weeks ago and so becomes the only juvenile to take part in all three legs of Busan’s Juvenile series. He goes on top by virtue of his impressive performance in that race when he led all the wat from a wide draw to win easily in a time faster than any of today’s rivals have achieved. This race is going to be significantly harder though. Most of the field from the Rookie Stakes (though not the winner), where Yeonggwanguilegend ran 9th, return. (2) ADELE ROSARIO was 2nd in that race having led and stepped up to 1400M for another runner-up finish in a good time earlier this month. She draws well and should be going close. (8) DOCTOR CAESAR ran in neither and is the only one in the race who comes in boasting a 100% record. Both his wins have been gate to wire affairs and in fast times at 1000M and 1200M and while this is a sterner test, he can make it three out of three here. (11) MAN OF THE YEAR was 4th in the Rookie and then ran out a very good winner over 1400M earlier this month. He led all the way that day from the widest gate and a repeat isn’t impossible. (9) AGAIN TOUCH ran 3rd in the Rookie Stakes and then 4th to Doctor Caesar at this distance on November 1st. Another front-runner, she should be there or thereabouts again.
|Selections||(4) Yeonggwanguilegend (2) Adele Rosario (8) Doctor Caesar (11) Man Of The Year|
|Next Best||9, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 8: Class Open (1200M) “Gwacheon Mayor’s Cup” (KOR-L) Allowance / KRW 200 Million
(7) ASPEN TAEYANG didn’t run in either the Rookie Stakes or the Munhwa Ilbo Cup but looks set to be a warm favourite here for this juvenile Listed race. He has won both his starts so far, bolting up on debut over 1000M before a similarly impressive display over this distance on October 2nd when he settled midfield and was far too strong in the straight. He has the fastest time of these at the distance and will be expected to win. (5) BENCAL PRINCESS ran 2nd in the Rookie Stakes and then 3rd in the Munhwa Ilbo. She went back in both races and ran on so she may need a touch of luck here but evidently has plenty of ability. (8) SEUNGBUSA was 3rd in the Rookie Stakes before completely blitzing a 1300M race at class 5 level on October 3rd. If he brings that form today, he has a winning chance. (4) WONPYEONG GASOK led for much of the Munhwa Ilbo ultimately holding on for a very good 2nd place and along with (6) PURPLE K has at least placing chances here.
|Selections||(7) Aspen Taeyang (5) Bencal Princess (8) Seungbusa (4) Wonpyeong Gasok|
|Next Best||6, 2|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7, 8|
Busan Race 6: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(9) MUJEOK BULPAE really should be winning again. He has come out on top once from eight attempts but has no fewer then five runner-up finishes to his name. He ran a creditable 5th at a mile at his latest start on November 1st but has run fast times at this distance and today can sit handy and prove too strong late on. (4) YEOKJEON MYEONGSU is a bit of a wildcard but may be worth taking a chance on. He ran twice at the end of last year, finishing 2nd and 3rd. He races for the first time since last December and has been gelded in the meantime. He trialed up pleasingly earlier this month and there is no reason why he can’t go well first-up. (8) WONDERFUL KING enters with very good recent form over 1200M, winning at class 5 level two starts back before beating several of today’s rivals when runner-up on his first try at this class on November 3rd. He comes up a little in the weights here but looks right in this. (12) CHEONNYEONUIYAKSO comes up in class after 2nd place finish at 1400M and has been running the kind of times that should measure up in this company. (6) ACE KILLER another in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(9) Mujeok Bulpae (4) Yeokjeon Myeongsu (8) Wonderful King (12) Cheonnyeonuiyakso|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Really good race to finish with and many have a chance. (4) VICTOR MOON will be hot favourite and for good reason. She was an all the winner at class and distance at her latest start and comes in under a similar weight and with a similar gate. She has run consistently fast times at the distance and looks to have scope to get even better. (6) MUNHAK ZENYATTA was 5th behind Victor Moon last time out but draws a better gate today. She too has run good times and can get closer here. (11) OXFORD KING drops back after two very good efforts over 1400M in his latest two outings, beating several of these on his way to 2nd place last time. The draw doesn’t favour him today, but he should be in the finish. (9) JANGSAN CLEAR comes up in class and doesn’t draw ideally but comes down significantly in the weights and with Moon Se-young in the saddle. (5) SPRING KING another in the hunt.
|Selections||(4) Victor Moon (6) Muhak Zenyatta (11) Oxford King (9) Jangsan Clear|
|Next Best||5, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 9, 10|