Sunday is KRA Cup Mile Day! See below for selections for the big race or here for a runner-by-runner preview. There are 6 races at Busan from 12:10 to 17:30 and 9 at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile maidens to get us underway and it involves one of the banker favourites of the day. Having won a trial in fine fashion in August, (4) WORLD FORCE ran a close 3rd on debut on September 4th having led from the gate until the closing stages, only to get narrowly overhauled close to the line. It was a fast time, and she won’t need to have improved very much – if at all – to win this. The others will need to improve. (5) JILJU JEONSA has raced twice before and showed improvement at the second of those on August 28th, running 5th at this distance in a good time, albeit someway behind a good winner. He will settle midfield and run on and should be looking for a better finish today. (7) SPEED GALLOP goes for the second time having run 5th on debut behind Bencal Princess, who has since gone on to run well in two big Juvenile Stakes race. She came from well off the pace after a slow start that day and should be ready to improve. (9) YOUNG BLOOD beat a couple of these when 4th on debut and along with (2) NO SMALL SUN, has placing claims here.
|Selections||(4) World Force (5) Jilju Jeonsa (7) Speed Gallop (9) Young Blood|
|Next Best||2, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Competitive maiden with a couple of them looking ready to win. (2) REAL CONCORD comes in following her best finish to date when 2nd over this distance on August 8th. She has run good times at the distance, is well drawn and while she does come in off a nine-week layoff, has solid claims here. So too does (1) GRAY CAT. He has gone even faster at this distance and should strip fitter second up following his return from five-months out in early September when he ran 4th at 1200M. With an apprentice climbing aboard today he gets a 4kg allowance and the inside gate should allow him to get to a prominent position early and maybe lead – if he does, he can win. It is the low numbers who are favoured here. (3) DOUBLE TAKE has mixed her form but ran well for 3rd over 1400M at her latest start when settling back and running on. She should be in the mix here. (4) TEUKGEUP YEOWANG weakened badly having led over this distance last time but has shown some ability and may be worth another chance. (5) YELLOW CAT, 5th on debut at the end of August is another in the hunt.
|Selections||(2) Real Concord (1) Gray Cat (3) Double Take (4) Teukgeup Yeowang|
|Next Best||5, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
All twelve of these maidens step up to racing at two turns for the very first time and the one it should benefit the most is (9) WONDERFUL K. The Purge colt has been consistent over seven starts so far with his best result being 3rd over 1200M two starts back. He ran well at his latest effort for 4th over 1400M and there is no indication that the additional 300M won’t suit. He’s the one to beat. (10) WONDERFUL SAM has been doing his best work late in both his two outings so far at 1200M and 1400M. Both times he has been right at the back entering the straight and has only started to pick up when too late. His final furlong times have been good so the extra distance to play with may help today. (12) SANGSEUNG HAENGJIN has been showing signs of improvement in his latest couple of outings including last time when he came from well back to run 4th over 1300M. An apprentice keeps the weight nice and light which he may benefit from given the extended trip today. (11) SINUI HANSU has only raced three times and has stuck to his task on all three occasions. He’ll probably be aimed for the early lead here and could still be around at the business end. If you prefer your two-turn picks to come from a good barrier, then (1) LUCKY BALLY could be the one.
|Selections||(9) Wonderful K (10) Wonderful Sam (12) Sangseung Haengjin (11) Sinui Hansu|
|Next Best||1, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 9, 11|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
Juvenile filly maidens get to compete for a big prize here with six of them racing for the first time. It’s the experience that’s favoured though with all five who have previously raced having shown enough to suggest they have wins in them. We’ll take a chance with (8) GREEN SPEED, who ran 3rd on debut on September 12th. That day’s impressive winner didn’t run well on reappearance last week, but Green Speed should have improved for the run and the Bart ice/Seo Seung-un combination is a good one. (5) H. DAY will probably be betting favourite. After three trials, she ran 3rd on debut in a scorching time on September 17th. It was a very wet track that day which made it quicker, but it was very promising and from a good draw she should be leading or on pace here. (1) B.K. MARSHALL has raced twice before, notching a 3rd and a 2nd, both at this distance and both in decent times. She has sat handy before running on and from the inside gate is another who will be on pace here. (3) STELL LUNA ran 4th behind B.K. MARSHALL on what was her debut on September 3rd when she settled in midfield and finished well. With some natural progression she can go close here. This is a really tough race to debut in but if any of the first-timers is to break through, (10) DOCTOR KONGSUNI looks the most likely.
|Selections||(8) Green Speed (5) H. Day (1) B.K. Marshall (3) Stell Luna|
|Next Best||10, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 8|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 45 Million
(9) NAMSAN SIDAE is the clear pick here on the basis of a close 2nd at this distance on September 11th. That was first-up and his first time up in class too following a maiden win in April. The time was good and while he comes up 2kg in the weights and draws a touch wider than ideal, he will try to sit handy to the lead and is the one to beat. (5) SILVER DRAGON is worth some thought following his last start 5th over 1300M on his first try at this class. He had the outside barrier that day and after a slow start settled a long last before swinging wide in the straight to come home very nicely. The extra distance appears to be in his favour as his solitary win came at this trip and while those slow starts are a habit of his, the better gate may limit the damage this time. (6) NONSTOP GISANG drops back in trip and into contention after a couple of swings around 1700M. He is a winner at 1300M at class 6 level and ran a fair 5th at that distance at this class. He is another who likes to be handy to the lead and then run on. (2) WONDERFUL ORANGE is up in class after a win over 1300M when she was midfield before finishing strongly for a narrow score. While the margin wasn’t big on the line, she was running on and has the benefit of a good gate today giving her placing chances. (7) ROCK FIGHTER another with placing claims.
|Selections||(9) Namsan Sidae (5) Silver Dragon (6) Nonstop Gisang (2) Wonderful Orange|
|Next Best||7, 12|
|Fast Start||7, 8, 10, 12|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Not the strongest of maidens and that allows us to take a chance on a debut-maker. Isidore Farm’s homebred (3) SUNSET MELODY looked accomplished in her trial, given an easy time early and then responding very well when asked for an effort in the straight. It seems she knows her business and there’s every chance she could score right away here. If you prefer your maidens to be experienced, (5) MY DESTINY is the one to go for. She has four top four finishes from six starts so far and has run consistently decent times. She draws well and should be in the mix. Back to the first-timers and (9) BLUE SKY went through two trials showing improvement in the second of them to the extent that she may be considered a placing chance first up. (11) MYEONGSEONG CHARGE was handy to the lead on debut on September 9th before ultimately coming home in 5th. She should strip fitter for the experience and get closer today. (8) DAEHO PYEONGEONG the best of the rest.
|Selections||(3) Sunset Melody (5) My Destiny (9) Blue Sky (11) Myeongseong Charge|
|Next Best||8, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 7, 11|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
Fillies only here. (7) DREAM KNOCK won a class 6 race over 1200M in fine style by eight-lengths in July before following up with 2nd place in a similar all-filly affair on her first try at this class on August 28th, beating several of today’s rivals in the process. She will have benefited from that experience and looks hard to beat here. (12) BLACK ROOKIE is a filly who is adapting to class 5 and at her last start was a good 3rd over 1300M when wide all the way yet still ran on. Given some better luck in running and ideally a bit of cover, she could be a threat here. (4) K BLADE ran 6th on his first try at this class on September 4th. That was over 1400M, and he came out of gate ten but two starts back he got his maiden win at this distance when handy from the same gate as today and he is in with a shout here. (11) DANCING WITH YOU ran 3rd behind Dream Knock on August 28th showing she is getting to grips with racing at this level and while her draw isn’t great, she can go close again. (5) GOLD SPIKE another in the hunt.
|Selections||(7) Dream Knock (12) Black Rookie (4) K Blade (11) Dancing With You|
|Next Best||5, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7, 11|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
It’s hard to look past (8) KING GOLIATH. He got his maiden win two starts back on September 5th before stepping up to this class two weeks later and running 2nd over a mile in a fast time and only very narrowly beaten, while beating plenty of these in the process. It has always looked like the further the better in terms of distance with him and he should be winning this, despite an additional 1.5kg on his back. (7) DOCTOR FAITH comes up in trip as well. He remains a maiden after eight attempts but despite that has only finished outside the top three on one occasions. He generally finishes off well so the extra distance may suit and while he may not break his maiden, he can go close again. (1) NEW LUX ran 3rd behind King Goliath on September 17th, running on well. She’s very consistent at this class and is sure to be involved at the business end again. (4) ACE GUY is another one up in trip. He came from well back to run 2nd over 1400M at this class on September 12th but he his sole win to date, at the same distance, came when making all and he may well look to lead here. (6) CENTUM THOR another in the mix.
|Selections||(8) King Goliath (7) Doctor Faith (1) New Lux (4) Ace Guy|
|Next Best||6, 5|
|Fast Start||4, 7, 10, 11|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(11) MAX RUN is a filly who has yet to run beyond 1200M, but she has settled midfield and finished off well in recent starts including last time out when she won over 1200M at this class. She comes up 2kg for that but has fair claims again in a competitive race. (7) DAEGUN PHOENIX is a winner this class and distance and has been decent in two starts since returning from seven months out in June, running 3rd and 4th, both times over today’s distance. He led last time and may be peaking fitness-wise today. (9) UNICORN BRAVO is worth thought based on his last start 2nd at this distance in a competitive time. He was on pace that day and he could well slide up and make his presence felt again. (6) RACE ROYAL is a filly who also has some claims with a 2nd and 3rd from four starts so far, albeit over 1200M. That said she has generally been doing her best work late on in her races. It’s worth noting that she fell after the line at her latest start back in June but showed few ill-effects when looking good in a September trial. (5) ROAD SKY has only raced twice but came home 3rd behind Max Run in the second of those and is another with fair claims here.
|Selections||(11) Max Run (7) Daegun Phoenix (9) Unicorn Bravo (6) Race Royal|
|Next Best||5, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 7, 11|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(4) RAON THE BOSS won three straight races between May and July including at this class and distance when he made all in a super time on July 23rd. At his latest start he stepped up to a mile on August 22nd and having led again, was taken down late on by Tuhonui Banseok. Back in trip, from a good draw and with an apprentice jockey taking 3kg off his back, he can return to the winner’s circle today. It won’t necessarily be easy. A winner of three from four to be quickly promoted to this level, (7) DOMINATION returns to action for the first time since March. He went through two trials, his mandatory one in August and then a tune-up one last weekend, crossing the line 1st in both and in good times. He is up in class and in distance here but can be equal to the task and be competitive. (6) FLAT BABE comes up in class after a win over this distance in a fast time when on pace throughout on August 27th. Both her wins have come at this distance, and she has a great finish on her. As a bonus, she comes down 3kg in the weights. (2) QUATTRO MAX finished 3rd behind Raon The Boss over a mile two starts back before running 2nd at class and distance on September 17th, running on after a slow start. At the top of the handicap, he gives weight away but should go close again. (5) BABEL DREAMER another contender in a very good race.
|Selections||(4) Raon The Boss (7) Domination (6) Flat Babe (2) Quattro Max|
|Next Best||5, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 7: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Fillies and mares only here. (4) WISH ME won last year’s Gyeonggi Governor’s Cup (KOR G3) and all up has four wins from five starts. She is resuming here for the first time since last December but looked good in a trial alongside Cup Mile contender Heungbaragi in July. She can win first-up here. (3) DAEJIUI YEOIN is a winner of five from six and while none of those have been at 1200M, she can’t be left out of the calculations. She suffered her first defeat at her latest start when 4th in a hot race at class and distance in July involving Ice Punch and Heungbaragi. This is softer and she can win. (8) MIGHTY BOOM is up in class here but down 3kg in the weights. She is a last start class 4 winner over this distance in fine style and a good time. Like today that was in filly and mare company only and she can measure up here. (1) JANGSAN GOLD was 5th at her latest start over 1400M but two starts back ran a class and distance 2nd. Dolkong’s sister has the fastest final furlong average time among this lot’s recent starts, and she should be in the finish. (10) BIG TO THE BIG is a filly capable of fast times and is a winner at this class over 1400M. She was 5th last start on a very wet track and may improve today.
|Selections||(4) Wish Me (3) Daejiui Yeoin (8) Mighty Boom (1) Jangsan Gold|
|Next Best||10, 12|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 11, 12|
Busan Race 5: Class Open (1600M) “KRA Cup Mile” (KOR G2) Allowance / KRW 450 Million
The Triple Crown gets underway six months behind schedule but as a result, it has a depth of form unique in the race’s history. All sixteen are proven performers and as such there would be no such thing as a real shock result; a case can be made for all. Having said that, we’re going to be boring and go with the ones who have achieved the most so far. (9) HEAT YEGAM comes in off four consecutive victories up to Class 2 level. He was an eleven-length all the way winner on his only try at this distance which came at class 3 in June in a fast time. His draw is not perfect but if he gets out into a lead, he will be very hard to catch. (12) WINNER’S MAN has won seven races so far and bolted in by eight-lengths in class 2 company over 1800M at his latest start. He has won at a mile and while he may need some luck from his draw, he is a big chance. (3) GALAXY ROAD is a winner of his latest three including his last start when he overcame the widest gate to lead all the way over 1800M. He has won at this distance in a very fast time and draws beautifully today. (15) HEUNGBARAGI was the big loser from the draw, but he could not have been more impressive on his latest outing on September 12th when a runaway gate-to-wire winner over 1800M. He does like to lead though, and he is very wide here. (2) MACH TITAN on the other hand was the big winner from the draw. He ran a scorching time when winning at this distance at class 3 level two starts back and while he ran poorly at 1800M three weeks ago, running wide early and then finding the extended trip a bit much, the gate brings him right into this. Plenty of others with claims too so if you like something, there should be some value.
|Selections||(9) Heat Yegam (12) Winner’s Man (3) Galaxy Road (15) Heungbaragi|
|Next Best||2, 7, 14|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(10) EODIGANA is in good form and while she is yet to be tested around two turns, at the start before last she bolted in by nine-lengths over 1400M in class 4 company. She has been running on and at her latest start she was 3rd after settling midfield and running wide in the straight. The extra distance should not be a concern. (1) MANSE is worth consideration on his recent form. Last time out at class and distance, he settled handy to the lead from a wide draw and ran on for a close 5th. His other two starts at this class have both resulted in 3rd place finishes. (5) FEDERAL KING can have his latest start discounted when he was wide and on the pace throughout before weakening. Instead, we’ll go on the start before last when he beat Manse on his way to 3rd place at class and distance. In this company, he should be aiming at a place. (7) STORMY is also a place chance based on a good 2nd over 1700M at this class the start before last when from the inside gate, he went right back before running on strong. (6) QUIET ADELE is another in the hunt for at least the minor money.
|Selections||(10) Eodigana (1) Manse (5) Federal King (7) Stormy|
|Next Best||6, 12|
|Fast Start||4, 9, 10, 11|
Busan Race 6: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
A very competitive race to round out the card at Busan. We’ll take a chance with (10) WINNING DANCER, who comes in off a last start class and distance 2nd place. He has run some good times at 1200M and doesn’t need to lead so can overcome the wide draw. (9) AMOR FATI is probably the betting favourite. He beat two of these on his way to 2nd place at class and distance on September 19th when he was on pace throughout and briefly in the straight. The draw is not ideal but if he can get to the front, he may be hard to pass. (7) YEONGGWANGUI TIME was a last start class and distance winner on August 29th when settling right back and running on strong. He comes up 3kg in the weights for that but has claims again. (6) COPY THAT, racing for the first time in six months but who looked good in a pair of recent trials, and (12) SECOND WIND, who has the fastest time of any of these at the distance but had a hard time in his first try at this class, are among others in the frame.
|Selections||(10) Winning Dancer (9) Amor Fati (7) Yeonggwangui Time (6) Copy That|
|Next Best||12, 4|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 9|
Seoul Race 9: Class 2 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 90 Million
(7) JEONGMUN SAI is favourite here based on his last start slashing win at this distance in a good time at class 3 level. That win was first-up too following five months out. He is up in class here but this isn’t a strong race for the level and down in weight and not much to worry about in terms of the draw, he looks hard to beat. (9) GEUMA ACME win three races at class 3 level over this distance and picked up minor money in both starts at this level so far. He comes up in the weights but faces slightly weaker opposition today and can find the money again. (8) PALPAL VICTORY doesn’t win many but did finish ahead of Geuma Acme at their respective latest starts on August 28th. He was 3rd that day, a finishing position he has achieved eight times so far and another is more than possible today. (2) SLING STONE takes a shy at the class 2 stumps on his return to action after almost three months off. He looked good when winning a September trial, comes down in the weights and draws nicely. (6) RAYMOND mixes his form but in this company is another one capable of finding a money finish.
|Selections||(7) Jeongmun Sai (9) Geuma Acme (8) Palpal Victory (2) Sling Stone|
|Next Best||6, 1|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 7|