We round out August with behind-closed-doors Sunday card at Seoul (9 races from 11:00 to 18:00) and at Busan (6 races from 11:30 to 16:30). Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 33 Million
Two and three-year-old maidens open Sunday’s show and (9) YEONGWANGUI CAPTAIN was sent off as favourite on debut on August 7th on the back of some promising trials. From the inside gate he made it to the lead but ultimately ended up in 3rd place. He should have come on for that run and should be favourite to go two better this time. (7) LONDON POWER was a decent 3rd on debut over 1000M all the way back in February. She has only raced twice since then but has shown near the front on both occasions before weakening a touch late on. She’s had six weeks off since her last start and with just a bit of natural improvement she should be right in this. (4) NEW STAR YEONGCHEON was a touch disappointing when well backed on debut having won a trial. He draws much better today so should have to use up less energy getting to the front early and should improve. (12) WONDERFUL HAWAII showed improvement when 5th at the distance on June 26th. The wide draw shouldn’t affect her too much. (8) HWARYEOHAN MISO likewise finished off well on debut and can improve.
|Selections||(9) Yeongwangui Captain (7) London Power (4) New Star Yeongcheon (12) Wonderful Hawaii|
|Next Best||8, 11|
|Fast Start||4, 7, 9, 11|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(7) UNJU EUTTEUM has a 3rd and a 2nd from two starts so far with the latter being at class and distance on August 1st when prominent throughout in a fast time on a day when races in general were being run quicker than usual given the dry track. The same apprentice keeps the weight nice and low, and he can go one better today. (11) SLIM QUEEN was slowly away on debut at 1200M on August 1st but made excellent ground to run 4th. The draw shouldn’t be a problem and the slight increase in trip may be a bonus. (6) CHEONGMA POWER improved at start number two, running on strongly for 4th and his running pattern indicates that he too may appreciate a bit more distance here. (8) SPEED MATCH and (1) BANJIUI GIJEOK are both first-up after layoffs of twenty and thirty-eight weeks respectively. Both had hinted at ability in the past and both looked well in recent trials with Speed Match slightly favoured to make a more immediate impact.
|Selections||(7) Unju Eutteum (11) Slim Queen (6) Cheongma Power (8) Speed Match|
|Next Best||1, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Absolutely wide-open race with a number of the leading contenders stepping up to this trip for the first time. The only previous winner in the race is (3) K N LIGHT and he looks capable of winning again. His victory was all the way back in January, but he returned from three months off in July to run a good 4th at 1300M and from a good draw should go close here. (10) VIKING HEART has steadily improved across four starts so far. He comes in off a 2nd place on a very wet track over 1300M when for the first time he didn’t give too much ground away early. The draw may not be ideal, but he has claims. (5) SUPER BIRD looks like he needs some distance. He made good ground to get up to 3rd at his latest start over 1300M on July 25th and with a little less to do and an extra half-furlong to do it in, he surely goes close today. (11) NUBIGO and (4) PEPE RUN among many others with at least placing chances.
|Selections||(3) K N Light (10) Viking Heart (5) Super Bird (11) Nubigo|
|Next Best||4, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 11, 12|
Busan Race 2: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 45 Million
Three of these come up in class following last start maiden wins and all three should be able to measure up in this company. (9) SEUNGNI MAGICQUEEN had a near-miss on debut in April before getting it right at start number two on June 6th over 1200M when she overcame gate twelve to get on pace and then prove too strong in a fast time. The 1300M shouldn’t be a problem and while the draw is still less than optimal, she can win again. (4) MYEONGSEONG MAGIC pretty much made all to win at this distance on July 23rd. While it was at class 6 level, the time was more than good enough to mix it here and from a great draw, she should be on pace and has can go all the way. It took (2) DREAM DANCER nine goes to make her own breakthrough, which she did with an all the way score on July 31st in what is the fastest time recorded by any of these at the distance. It’s true there were a lot of fast ties that weekend but nevertheless, she warrants respect here and has a great draw to get on pace again. Among those with experience at this level, (8) JEONSEOLUI PUNCH has a decent record at the distance while (11) FANTASTIC LEADER could also improve.
|Selections||(9) Seungni Magicqueen (4) Myeongseong Magic (2) Dream Dancer (8) Jeonseolui Punch|
|Next Best||11, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 3: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 33 Million
(1) SKY MANGCHI picks himself here. His win at class 6 came at this distance and he has solid class 5 for in two starts since with a 2nd and a 3rd at 1300M and 1400M and both in fast times. Last time out he led to the 200M and back in trip and with the inside gate to assist, he looks hard to beat. (10) STEAL THE FASHION is yet to win in six attempts but has finished runner-up on no fewer than four occasions, including his latest start, which was his first try at this level. He led that day and while the fate is not in his favour this time around, he has placing claims again. (5) THUNDER CHAMP comes up in class following an all the way victory over this distance on July 18th. His winning time very much measures up here and while he may not get such an easy lead this time, he draws well again and should be competitive. (8) FIGHTING DADDY resumes for the first time since May and along with (9) BYEOLBIT BOSEOK looks a placing chance.
|Selections||(1) Sky Mangchi (10) Steal The Fashion (5) Thunder Champ (8) Fighting Daddy|
|Next Best||9, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 8, 10|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 33 Million
(3) B J MISS registered her maiden win two starts back leading gate to wire at this distance before running 2nd, also at 1200M, on her first try at this level on August 1st when once more she was on pace throughout although ultimately succumbing to a good winner. She draws well again and while there is plenty of early speed here, she should be close to the pace again and every chance. (11) QUEEN OF THE QUEEN steps back in trip following recent efforts over 1400M, including back-to-back wins at class 6 level. The draw may not be ideal, but she looks nicely in here and can be competitive. (10) MAN OF THE WORLD is yet to win in seventeen attempts but has seven top three finishes and with an apprentice keeping his weight low, has claims on another place here. (9) HIT JACKPOT is up in class despite still being a maiden but his times at this distance measure up and he can be competitive. In a race with plenty of unknowns, several are first-up after some time away. (12) STORM TO WIN has won at this distance and trialed up very nicely.
|Selections||(3) B J Miss (11) Queen Of The Queen (10) Man Of The World (9) Hit Jackpot|
|Next Best||12, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 8, 12|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 33 Million
(5) WONDER K has a solitary win from ten starts so far but it was at this class and distance in May, and he has since run well twice again. He was 2nd at his latest start when on pace and drifting out a little and he is the one to beat here. (12) JUNGCHUBUSA suffered her first defeat at start number three on July 24th when up in class and out to 1300M for the first time. She raced handy to the leaders but ran out of steam and finished 7th. It’s tempting to disregard that given that this looks a weaker race at a more suitable distance and despite the widest gate, she looks to have a real chance. (6) REMEMBER WHEN has placed at her latest two starts and is accordingly up in class today She comes down significantly in weight and should be able to measure up in this company. (1) WOL YEONG I is another with solid class 6 form and there was nothing wrong with her 6th place over 1300M on her first try at this level last start. Back to the 1200M and drawing the inside are both to her advantage. (11) LONDON ACTIVE has the fastest time of any of these at the distance and is better than her latest couple of outings suggest.
|Selections||(5) Wonder K (12) Jungchubusa (6) Remember When (1) Wol Yeong I|
|Next Best||11, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 8, 12|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 45 Million
Fillies only here. It’s going to be a tough ask for (12) WORLD SOCKS with both the widest gate and with an additional 4.5kg on her back compared with when she won at class and distance on August 1st. Nevertheless, the Midshipman filly looks to still have improvement in her and if she can get to a prominent position early, then she has a chance. It took (9) WORLD REMEMBER nine goes to get her maiden win, but she evidently enjoyed it as she promptly followed up with another. They came over 1300M and 1400M so she drops back in trip today, but she is nicely weighted, and the draw shouldn’t be an issue. She can go close. There is one solitary debut-maker and it’s a promising one. (2) UNBONGSAN, like World Socks, comes up considerably in the weights following an all the way win on August 1st when she was headed a furlong out but rallied back to win well. She draws well to get to the front once more. Debut-maker (10) HIDDEN CHARLIE fairly bolted up in her trial, leading all the way and this looks a nice race to start out in. Speaking of trials, (5) YEONGGWANGUI TIME had a shocking day at the office at 1400M last start when she led early but capitulated to the extent she was forced back to trial. She won her requalification in a facile manner and has posted fast times at this distance in the past so is worth another chance here.
|Selections||(12) World Socks (9) World Remember (2) Unbongsan (10) Hidden Charlie|
|Next Best||5, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 8, 12|
Seoul Race 5: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 45 Million
(3) CHEONGCHUN VIVA is an on-pace runner who draws nicely here and can add a second win to the one he scored at this class over 1200M two starts back. He sweated up a bit before his latest outing before jumping handy and ran on well for 3rd indicating that 1400M should be within his scope. (9) ROMANCE CHARM is showing improvement with recent runs and at her latest start was a good 2nd over 1200M when she overcame the widest barrier to make up a good deal of ground in the straight. She is yet to go beyond 1200M, but her racing pattern suggests she is more than capable here. (5) BLACK PUNCH has claims after a last start 3rd at this class over 1200M when he settled midfield and got stronger as the race progressed. A repeat of that run puts him in the picture. (6) GREEN JILJU is worth consideration on her latest start when 3rd over 1200M after being inconvenienced at the start. She is another who indicates that 1400M will suit. Among those with experience at this distance (1) ALL THAT KOREA may be an interesting outsider, coming in as he does significantly down in weight with an apprentice aboard and drawing well.
|Selections||(3) Cheongchun Viva (9) Romance Charm (5) Black Punch (6) Green Jilju|
|Next Best||1, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 9|
Busan Race 5: Class 3 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Really good race. (5) GREAT BOSS is a winner of six from ten so far including his latest start when he made all for a comfortable score at this class and distance with three of today’s rivals back down the track behind him. The steadier today is that he is carrying an additional 4kg taking him up to 56kg, a weight he has carried before but not won under. Nevertheless, he has plenty of ability and a nice draw to sit on pace or handy and he can win again. (7) MACH TITAN has a similarly impressive win record of five from ten. He has won at this distance before and comes back up in trip after a strong 3rd place over 1200M on July 31st with several of these behind him. He will be close to the pace here and is a big danger. Draw a line through the latest effort from (8) MY QUEEN over 1200M and instead go on her win at this class over 1400M two starts back in April. She tackles a mile for the first time here, is very nicely weighted, and has claims. Just like My Queen, (1) QUEEN OF THE WORLD had a poor day at the office in the same race behind Mach Titan in July. She draws much better today and will be expected to get on pace and go much closer. (4) TANGENT among a number of others capable of placing.
|Selections||(5) Great Boss (7) Mach Titan (8) My Queen (1) Queen Of The World|
|Next Best||4, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 8, 12|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 33 Million
This is a very competitive race with plenty of live chances. (10) K N WONDERFUL is one of those. He comes in following a solid 2nd place at class and distance on June 13th when he settled handy and ran on strong but couldn’t get to a good winner. The draw shouldn’t be a problem and he has fair claims today. So too does (3) CHEONGDAM CURLING. At his latest start, he was a good 2nd in heavy rain when handily placed and wide all the way around except for the straight when he stuck to his task well. He has a better draw and is sure to be in the finish. (1) CHOEGANG GAME ran a nice race last start on his first attempt at class 5 and at the distance when 7th in the rain behind Cheongdam Curling but by no means overmateched. He should have come on for that experience and be in the mix here. (9) CHEONGSAN GANGHO is getting better at this trip, improving his times on each occasion. Last start he was awkwardly away but ran on well for 2nd and won’t need to improve much to be competitive again here. (12) DREAM FASHION won that race Cheongsan Gangho was 2nd in. He settled on the pace and then moved into the lead to win by three-lengths. He is up in weight and draws wide which may bring the rest back to him today.
|Selections||(10) K N Wonderful (3) Cheongdam Curling (1) Cheogang Game (9) Cheongsan Gangho|
|Next Best||12, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 10, 11|
Busan Race 6: Class 1 (2000M) Allowance / KRW 90 Million
A very good race. (3) MR. AFLEET beat four of these on his way to a very good victory at this class over 1800M on August 1st. He consistently runs fast time and seems to have plenty more to give. Aside from the caliber of the opposition, there are two further concerns in that he is tackling 2000M for the first time and he is also up 4kg in the weights from that win four weeks ago. He can be equal to both. Stablemate (7) HUNCH was an emphatic winner over class and distance on July 11th, leading almost the entire way around and with plenty of these behind him. He only comes up 2kg in the weight for that and has every chance again here. (1) CRAZY CONTI finished ahead of Hunch when the pair met at class 2 level back in June with Hunch having an off day. Crazy Conti only narrowly went down to Barbarian, who won again last week, giving the form a boost. Up in class here, he will be running on strong late on. (6) TOUCH STAR MAN should have come on for his first-up run over 1800M behind Mr. Afleet on August 1st. He won the Minister’s Cup over this trip last year and is the wildcard here. (8) DAEMANGUI GIL split Doctor Carson and Blue Chipper when 2nd over 1200M on August 14th. So, after such a great performance, he is naturally shunted up four-furlongs in trip. There is some method though as he has previously run very well around two turns and looks a place chance today.
|Selections||(3) Mr. Afleet (7) Hunch (1) Crazy Conti (6) Touch Star Man|
|Next Best||8, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 45 Million
Super race with only two of the twelve having finished worse than 4th in their respective latest starts. We’ll take a chance with (3) CUPID POINT, who today meets (11) RAON SPECIAL on better terms than when she finished second to her over 1400M on July 25th. She hasn’t yet run at 1700M but has run a couple of strong runs at 1400M to her name and this could suit very well. Raon Special gets a worse draw and carries extra weight from last time when she was a very good winner over 1400M. However, she is able to settle back in the field and run on, so she has a big chance too. (8) SERVE ACE was an impressive winner last start over 1400M in a good time when she raced handy to the lead. She comes up in class and down in weight and already has a 1700M victory to her name, albeit down at class 6. (4) TK BOY has never finished worse than 3rd in nine starts to date. He comes up significantly in the weights and also up to two turns for the first time after an excellent score over 1400M last start, but he can be in the hunt again. Also up in the weights is (5) A TO Z who races for the first time since a class and distance win in May when he went very wide. He is the wildcard here.
|Selections||(3) Cupid Point (11) Raon Special (8) Serve Ace (4) TK Boy|
|Next Best||5, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 5|
Seoul Race 8: Class 3 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(1) HIDDEN SOCKS goes on top here based on his last start big win over 1700M at class 4 level. He led from the gate and was far too strong for the rest. He does come up in class, but the edge is taken off the weights and he also draws an ideal barrier. Moon Se Young remains aboard, and he is the one to beat. (3) DORAON POPEYE can have his last start disregarded when he was midfield and wide in the straight. He goes best on pace or handy and with Johan Victoire climbing aboard, he looks firmly in the hunt here at a distance he likes. (9) MOONHAK DREAM is another worth thought at this distance which he tackles for the first time. He won consecutive races at class 4 over 1400M before running 4th at the same distance on his first try at this level. He has proven himself capable of running on and can go close. (6) K.N ACE enters in good form with back-to-back 3rd place finishes from her latest two, both at this class and distance. She can lead or sit handy so has an ideal draw as there is speed in this race. (2) YEOKJEONUI USEUNG perhaps an outside minor money chance.
|Selections||(1) Hidden Socks (3) Doraon Popeye (9) Moonhak Dream (6) K.N Ace|
|Next Best||2, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 9: Class 1 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
Good class 1 sprint to finish with. (2) DO KKI BLADE is the likely favourite based on his last start 2nd at the distance behind East Jet and ahead of a few of these. He likes to be on pace or lead and draws much better here. (11) RAON FIRST is a high-quality filly who was 3rd last start behind Eoma Eoma over 1400M when she led. Even though she has won at as far as 1800M, the drop back to 1200M would appear to be in her favour, however, she will need some early luck to be on the pace from her wide draw. (3) GLOBAL CAPTAIN is worth thought based on his welcome return to form at his latest start with a win at this distance when he settled midfield and ran on wide in the straight. He is the only one in the field with a true elite level time to his name at this distance. The best overall horse in the race is (8) MORFHIS. He is a Group winner at this distance when he was at level weights with Do Kki Blade following which 1400M has been his forte, and he was a good 4th last time behind Eoma Eoma and Raon First. That day and today he had the steadier of 60kg on his back, which is the primary reason the others are favoured. However, if there is too much speed in the race, he will be very close as he has super finish on him. (6) GAENARI SONG the best of the rest.
|Selections||(2) Do Kki Blade (11) Raon First (3) Global Captain (8) Morfhis|
|Next Best||6, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 7, 11|