Seoul flies solo this Sunday with a behind-closed-doors meeting featuring 15 races from 11:00 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 45 Million
Juvenile maidens kick off Sunday with four of the eight racing for the first time. We will side with experience though and (5) TOP CLASS, who ran 4th on debut at this distance on July 3rd beating a couple of these in the process. He was close to the pace throughout and draws well again to get to the front. (6) BYEOLBIT MARU looks a big danger. Having trialed up well, she debuted on July 10th over 1200M when she was on pace early and ultimately finished 4th. She should have come on for that experience and the drop back in trip could work in her favour. (1) MAPARAM was on pace too on his debut, ultimately ending up in 7th place in the same race as Top Class. He should strip fitter for that experience and can improve today. Among the newcomers, (4) MENI WONDERFUL is the first foal out of Meni Money, a very good racehorse here, He trialed up pleasingly enough. (8) P N S LUCKY also did nothing much wrong in her heat.
|Selections||(5) Top Class (6) Byeolbit Maru (1) Marapam (4) Meni Wonderful|
|Next Best||8, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5, 6|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 33 Million
Three-year-old maidens here. We’ll give (6) CHOEGANG JANGSAN another chance. He never really got going at his last start when well back over 1300M but previously had shown some signs of ability and has posted the best time at this distance. Expect him to be out of the gate and away a bit better today and he should be in the finish. (12) GREAT THUNDER comes in off a solid 2nd place at class and distance last start when settling midfield and running on strong. The draw doesn’t do him any favours here, but he doesn’t need to lead, and he can continue the progress he has made across his three prior outings. (1) GEOSEN GISANG can take advantage of the inside gate to get forward early. She overcame gate ten on debut to run competently enough for a midfield finish over this distance and should have come on for the experience. (7) SISEON JUMA too did nothing wrong with a very similar performance on debut and can build on that here. (3) BOLD AGAIN has hinted at ability without reward in two starts so far and can improve today.
|Selections||(6) Choegang Jangsan (12) Great Thunder (1) Geosen Gisang (7) Siseon Juma|
|Next Best||3, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 33 Million
Two standouts here. (4) GEOLJAK WOMAN ran on strong from behind to come home in 4th place over this distance at her latest start on July 11th. The time before she showed a good turn of foot over 1000M to record her 2nd runner-up finish. Her style is to settle midfield and run on and with Kim Yong-geun aboard again, she has a real chance. The big danger is (7) BIG RED. He came close to getting his maiden win last time out 2nd over 1300M in a fast time on a wet track. He has the best start among these so expect him to be leading early with every chance of going all the way. (2) GEOSEN POWER comes down in the weights with an apprentice aboard as well as getting a much better barrier than his latest start when 5th at this distance and that brings him into the calculations. He should be challenging for the lead early. (6) SONGAM CAT is the sole previous winner in the race and while that win was unexpected and she has shown no signs of following up, in this company she can aim for minor money. (10) SUPER PARK another with placing chances.
|Selections||(4) Geoljak Woman (7) Big Red (2) Geosen Power (6) Songam Cat|
|Next Best||10, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 7, 8|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Small field of maidens here. (1) JEONGMUN PRINCE is the pick, coming in off a strong 4th at this distance on July 4th in a fast time on what was admittedly a very wet track. He went right back that day before making up good ground late, the same style that saw him to a placing finish over 1400M. Leaving himself too much to do is a concern in this small field he can be ridden further forward, and he has solid chances here. (4) STAR RUSH sat behind the pace at this distance last start before finishing in 5th place. He has three 3rd place finishes to his name as well and he comes back slightly in the weights today with an apprentice up. He will be on pace and has a chance. So too does (7) MAD BLADE, who has finished behind Star Rush in two of his latest three appearances. Nevertheless, he comes in following a useful enough showing at the distance on a wet track in July and he is the only one of the field to have a runner-up finish in his record. (3) OKCHUMA and (6) RUNNING NUMBER ONE are others in the minor money frame.
|Selections||(1) Jeongmun Prince (4) Star Rush (7) Mad Blade (3) Okchuma|
|Next Best||6, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 5: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
The second division of the maiden and (2) SOUJU could be ready to win here. It is fair to say he has mixed his form across ten starts so far but he comes in following his best run to date when 3rd over 1300M on July 4th. It was a very wet track that day, but he draws nicely in this small field and has as good a chance as any. (6) LONDON HEAT registered a good 3rd place two starts back at this distance and then at her latest outing led over 1400M before weakening late on. She will most likely be leading here too and should be able to stay on better today. (7) LUXURY KING comes in off his best finish to date, a 3rd place over 1400M on July 18th. He can sit on the pace here and run on with placing chances again. (5) CHOEGANG TOMA races for the first time in five months and trialed up well enough to suggest he is worth keeping an eye on for what is essentially, a fresh start today. (4) STORM WARRIOR another with minor money hopes.
|Selections||(2) Souju (6) London Heat (7) Luxury King (5) Choegang Toma|
|Next Best||4, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 6: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 33 Million
Fillies (and one mare) only here. (6) AQUA PUNCH comes up in class following back-to-back wins, both of them at this distance. The latest of those saw her on pace throughout, running to the lead in the home straight and then eased down late on. She should measure up in this class and can complete her hat-trick here. It’s not an easy race though. Disregard the last start of (4) COMPLETE STAR when she didn’t seem to recover from being tightened for room in the early stages of the race and then came back slightly lame. She’s had over two months off since and instead we’ll go on her previous form at this distance which includes a win at class 6 level and 4th place in this grade. She can go close. (3) SHADOW QUEEN comes in off a solid 3rd place at her latest outing when she overcame gate eleven to run on strong for 4th over 1200M and from a much better gate today, she should be in the placing frame. Both (10) ARAK TO WIN (9) GREAT HANSEN come up in class after last start placings at class 6 level and both can be competitive in this company.
|Selections||(6) Aqua Punch (4) Complete Star (3) Shadow Queen (10) Arak To Win|
|Next Best||9, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 9|
Seoul Race 7: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 33 Million
Fillies and mares only again and it’s a nice competitive affair with plenty of possible winners. (7) GANGSEO PRINCESS got promoted to this class with a win over 1000M and then a runner-up finish at 1200Mbefore running 5th from a wide draw at today’s distance on her first crack at class 5 in a good time. She looks to have more development in her, can lead and can win. (9) CHOEGANG QUEEN got her win at start number three over 1200M on July 3rd, coming from a handy position to win well. She is up in class today but looks to have plenty more potential for further improvement. (8) EUNHYE PADO was a fine winner over this distance in a decent time on a good-rated track on July 17th. She settled towards the back and then ran on wide for a good score. (10) VICTORICA has the fastest time of any of these at the distance, which she recorded when running 2nd on a very wet track at her last start on July 10th. She can lead, as she did when winning at 1200M in April, or come from the middle and while she is up in the weights today, she can go close. (8) EUNHYE PADO was a fine winner over this distance in a decent time on a good-rated track on July 17th. She settled towards the back and then ran on wide for a good score. She also comes up in class but can measure up. (1) CAREER HIGH perhaps the best of the rest.
|Selections||(7) Gangseo Princess (9) Choegang Queen (10) Victorica (8) Eunhye Pado|
|Next Best||1, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 8: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 33 Million
(7) TAP QUALITY comes back in trip following a solid 5th place over 1400M on July 3rd when he was handy throughout then wide in the straight and only beaten a length and a half in a tight finish. That showed he can compete at this class and while yet to win he has a solid record at this distance at class 6 level. He has a big chance today. (1) FLYING VICTOR comes up in class after a maiden win at start number four on July 10th when he was handy and wide and ran on well. From the inside gate, he can settle close to the lead here and has claims again. (6) MISS CAMP comes up in class after back-to-back runner-up finishes, the second of which was in a good time at this distance. An apprentice claim puts her right in this, and she should be on pace. Both (4) RUNNING KING and (2) GLOBAL YEONGUNG are better than recent results suggest, and both are at least place chances here.
|Selections||(7) Tap Quality (1) Flying Victor (6) Miss Camp (4) Running King|
|Next Best||2, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 9: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 33 Million
(6) PARAN WANGJA returned from seven months out to record a second consecutive runner-up finish at class and distance on June 20th when he was on pace throughout and only narrowly beaten in what was a tight three-way finish. He is well drawn to be on pace again today and have every chance of going one better at a distance he has won at before. (8) PRINCESS SOCKS is up in class following a second class 6 win. It came at this distance on July 4th when she made all to win in a fast time on a very wet track. She will join Paran Wangja on pace and has solid claims to make it two in a row. (1) CUPID BISANG has plenty of experience at this level and comes back in here following a mini-break of ten weeks after a good 3nd place at this class and distance. He was slowly away that day but quickly got back on pace and with a much better draw this time, should be able to get a good position with much less effort. (9) ARCH YEOGEOL has put in two solid runs since being promoted to this class and can go well from off the pace here. (7) ULTRA KING another in the placing frame.
|Selections||(6) Paran Wangja (8) Princess Socks (1) Cupid Bisang (9) Arch Yeogeol|
|Next Best||7, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 10: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 33 Million
A good race for the level and plenty are in with a shout. (9) ON POINT has only finished outside the top four on one occasion from six starts so far and was a class and distance winner two starts back before running 3rd on his latest effort. He is top-rated here and so carries top weight but has every chance of overcoming it and can win again. (11) BRAVO MAY is yet to win at this level but has two runner-up finishes at class and distance from his latest two, both times coming from off the pace and running on in good times. HE too is up at the top end of the weights but should be in the finish. (1) BEOLMAL DAEJANG drops back in trip following a good 4th place over 1700M last time out. He has placed at this class and distance and won’t be far away here. (4) THE FIGHTING comes up in class and distance after a good win over 1300M when he was on pace throughout on July 11th. That win had been coning and while he will need to improve in this company, he should be competitive. (3) BAEDARI CANDY can mix his form but has good experience at this class and is another in the hunt.
|Selections||(9) On Point (11) Bravo May (1) Beolmal Daejang (4) The Fighting|
|Next Best||3, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 9, 11|
Seoul Race 11: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(4) GEUM ROYAL was a super winner at class and distance in a very fast time on a very wet track on July 4th when he settled midfield and then ran on strong to score by a full five-lengths. He comes up 3kg in the weights as a result but from a good draw here, has every chance of repeating. (10) OXFORD KING has posted some super times at 1000M and 1200M and comes up in class here. He has raced once before at the distance, coming 4th at class 5 level and he comes back significantly in the weights here. The draw is not ideal, but he can measure up in this company. (2) GLOBAL THUNDER is coming close at this class with a 3rd and a 2nd from his latest two appearances, the latter of which was at this distance. He draws very nicely to get on speed again and can be a danger. (7) UARYUNG won last year’s Oaks and drops back in trip following a couple of creditable recent runs at 1800M. She has placed at class and distance in a fast time and has at least placing chances here. (11) BEST LINE has outside placing chances.
|Selections||(4) Geum Royal (10) Oxford King (2) Global Thunder (7) Uaryung|
|Next Best||11, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 12: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 45 Million
(9) STEADY CHAMPION is a well-named fellow, having easily won at class 6 and class 5 level and then last start over 1400M came up to class 4 and was a creditable 2nd to the very good TK Boy. He had sweated up a little that day and was slowly away. He comes up to 1700M here and has solid claims. (1) BOMNALUI GIEOK has good form coming in having placed twice at this distance and winning his last start on July 10th over 1400M when handy and wide in the run before proving too strong in the finish. His preferred pattern is to race handy or on the pace and today’s draw should help facilitate that. (8) TOP SEED is another in good form and with an on-pace racing pattern having placed 2nd last start over 1400M at this class after leading. He has won over 1700M and despite being up in weight here and drawn slightly wider, he can’t be left out. (4) TK DAY comes in having run 2nd at class and distance on a muddy track on July 11th. That was an uptick in form, but a repeat can’t be ruled out. (2) JEONGMUN BOLT has good form to 1400M and while he could only manage 5th of 8 over 1700M has start, that may have helped him get to grips with the trip. He could be the value here.
|Selections||(9) Steady Champion (1) Bomnalui Gieok (8) Top Seed (4) TK Day|
|Next Best||2, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 8, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 13: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 45 Million
(9) LUCKY HOON was an eight-length at class and distance two starts back when midfield and wide and then last start was a close 2nd when bumped at the start before settling back in the field and running on strongly. He is up in weight and while not helped by the draw, could slot into midfield and can be very competitive. (8) JEONGMUN ACE has found form in his last two starts, winning at 1800M and then running 2nd at today’s distance on July 17th when settling midfield and running on. He carries the same weight here and must be considered. (12) MANSEOK JIGI enters in very consistent form. And is a winner at this class over 1800M. He comes in after a last start 4th in a good time at today’s distance after settling on the pace. The challenge today will be how to get across to his preferred position without using up too much energy but he’s far from alone in that predicament. (6) JANGSAN TANK will be aiming to lead here, and he comes off recent solid form, being placed at 1400M and 1800M. He has a chance. (3) DADDY KHOZAN another with minor money hopes.
|Selections||(9) Lucky Hoon (8) Jeongmun Ace (12) Manseok Jigi (6) Jangsan Tank|
|Next Best||3, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6, 12|
Seoul Race 14: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(4) GLOBAL SOCKS has good two-turn form and last start was 2nd at this class and distance when he settled handy to the leaders and was then wide on the corner before running on strong in a decent time. He has a similar weight today and comes in a full eight barriers which should put him right in this. (9) LOOKING GOOD must be considered. He’s a recent 1800M winner at this class albeit on a very wet track. Last start he was a close 3rd to Munhak King and meets him better at the weights this time around. (10) MUNHAK KING is a recent class and distance winner when he made all, and then ran a decent 5th last start when from the same gate as today he went back and wide before running on, finishing just two-lengths behind Global Socks. He is worth thought again. (1) GOLDEN SERVICE has solid class 4 distance form including back-to-back wins at 1700M in April and May. He was beaten by Global Socks and Munhak King on his first try at this level on June 27th but draws nicely here and could sneak a place. (11) THE SPIKER another in the frame.
|Selections||(4) Global Socks (9) Looking Good (10) Munhak King (1) Golden Service|
|Next Best||11, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 15: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
Cracking race but we’ll side with (3) MIGHTY GO who comes in having run 2nd to the outstanding Eoma Eoma at class and distance on July 11th when he raced handy to the leaders and managed to get past the excellent filly Raon First, who came 3rd with daylight to 4th. He has a nice barrier and a light weight and may take some beating. (6) MENI HERO is up in class here but significantly down in weight. He has won his last two starts in class 2 over 1200M and at lower levels has won up to 1700M. Last time out on a very wet track, he settled midfield and ran on well indicating 1400M is well within his reach. (11) SIMJANGUI GODONG will be in the mix here following a last start win over this distance on May 30th, beating a few of these in the process. He was buffeted at the start before settling midfield and running on wide and strong. He seems well adjusted to the pressures on class 1 racing and could measure up again. (12) M J POWER has been good at this class over 1200M although last start he hit the barriers on the way out. It may be that a bit further is needed now, and he could provide some each-way value. (1) ULTRA PUNCH another with placing chances.
|Selections||(3) Mighty Go (6) Meni Hero (11) Simjangui Godong (12) M J Power|
|Next Best||1, 4|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 6, 12|