Seoul will take its summer weekend off next week followed by Busan the week after so this is the last time for three weeks that both tracks will be running on a Sunday. There are 9 races at Seoul from 11:00 to 18:00 and 6 at Busan from 11:30 to 16:50. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 45 Million
Twelve previously unraced juveniles go around here so it’s to the trial videos that we must head. It’s pretty clear who the favourite is going to be. (3) COMPLETE TIME was an eye-catching winner of her trial, making all in a fast time on a good track. If she shows any natural improvement from that, she will be hard to beat. (10) CHEOLLICHONG placed 3rd in a trial when on pace and ridden to the line in a fair time. She’s by Hansen, whose progeny have shown speed as juveniles on the track here. (1) WONPYEONG GASOK was 4th in a trial when he settled last on jumping before making a solid run from the 600M and ran home better than anything else in his heat. He is a half-brother to Jungchubusa, who won her first two races at Seoul. (6) RAON THE SPURT is “full’ sister to Raon Tough Man, who ran 2nd in the Korean Derby last year. She trialed adequately when awkwardly away and settled handy to the leaders before running home well for 4th. She has every chance of going well first-up.
|Selections||(3) Complete Time (10) Cheollichong (1) Wonpyeong Gasok (6) Raon The Spurt|
|Next Best||2, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6, 10|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Fillies only and the one to beat is (1) CHOEGANG ILSE. She comes in off a career best 2nd over this trip on June 26th when she sat in midfield before running on strong and well beaten by a good winner. She can sit handy today from the inside gate and has the strongest finish in the race by some margin. The solitary first-time starter in the field caught the eye in her trial. (12) HAMAN BANGEOSAN sat handy and ran on strong for 2nd place in a decent time and while the widest gate may not be ideal, she looks well placed here on debut and can be considered. (3) HIT JACKPOT has been on an upward trajectory in terms of times and of finishes in recent starts, culminating in 2nd place last start at this distance having gone right back at the start and should be running on strong again. (2) STEADY WINNER couldn’t do herself justice from a wide draw over 1300M last start, but she comes back in trip and into a decent gate here and duly enters the calculations.
|Selections||(1) Choegang Ilse (12) Haman Bangeosan (3) Hit Jackpot (2) Steady Winner|
|Next Best||6, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
We are going to take on the favourite here with (2) CRAZY TANK simply based on how he went in a trial last week. He’s only raced the three times before, most recently getting bumped early and then racing very wide before a decent enough finish for 4th. However, in his trial last week he made all to cross the line a full 23 (twenty-three) lengths ahead of anything else in what was, unsurprisingly, the fastest time of the morning. He has a great draw and while there is always the risk that he left his race in that trial, he looks worth taking a chance on. The favourite will be (5) DAESAN TEUKGEUP and deservedly so based on his last start five-length win over 1000M when wide but too strong in the straight. The extra distance won’t be a problem and he will be in the finish. (12) SMART POWER can’t be left out of the calculations as he is a winner at this distance when handy in the run which was followed up with a 4th place from way off the pace. He resumes for the first time since January but looked well in a recent trial and has placing claims. So too does (3) JISANGUN. He’s a colt who has shown improvement at every start and wasn’t far away when 5th over 1000M at his latest outing. Further natural improvement form that will bring him into the frame here.
|Selections||(2) Crazy Tank (5) Daesan Teukgeup (12) Smart Power (3) Jisangun|
|Next Best||9, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 9, 11|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Not the most inspiring of maidens this but a couple of them look as though they have a win in them. (6) FIGHT DREAM is one of two here who have a runner-up finish to their name. His came in April over 1300M and he has since run creditably at today’s distance too with back-to-back 4th place finishes both times when leading. It might take a bit of time here as others are faster starters, but he can work his way to the front here and could score. (4) DOCTOR TAKE drops back in trip following a 3rd and a 4th over 1600M. He has been a bit one-paced in his races but can find a good position from a nice draw and go close. (9) SEONGSAN HERO beat Doctor Take last start when 2nd over a mile. He led that day until the middle of the home straight and will be expected to be on pace here with claims to go all the way. (8) SMARTY DOLPUNG has shown steady improvement across three starts to date with 4th place last time her best. She won’t need to improve much to match or better that here.
|Selections||(6) Fight Dream (4) Doctor Take (9) Seongsan Hero (8) Smarty Dolpung|
|Next Best||3, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 8, 9, 12|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 33 Million
Tricky race but we’ll go with (4) CHOIN SPARK who may be the improver here having placed 2nd at his last start over 1000M when handy and wide all the way before balancing up nicely in the straight then working home well. Another crack at 1200M may suit and he could be the one to beat. (8) BURUI GASOK has run well at this class and was fair at his latest effort when on the pace and wide all the way. He has the fastest start amongst these and should be able to overcome gate eight to get on pace again. The solitary debut-maker is (10) NEW STAR YEONGCHEON, who was a trial winner at the start of this month. She led and then kicked clear near the finish and crossed the line with plenty in hand. She should strip fitter for that and enters the calculations first-up. (7) ONCHEONHA ran 3rd last start over this distance, showing speed to be on the pace and while he was well in arrears of the winner, he battled on well and was just pipped for 2nd. Solid placing chance here.
|Selections||(4) Choin Spark (8) Burui Gasok (10) New Star Yeongcheon (7) Oncheonha|
|Next Best||5, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5, 8|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 33 Million
Fillies and mares only here. (3) GOOD TANK enters with a 100% record to maintain having won her first two starts in fine order, leading gate to wire in both. She comes up in class and in trip here but draws a great barrier to get to the lead again and has every chance of making it three in a row. (6) FASHION BLADE is a winner of two from four so far and including her latest on June 20th, when she settled handy from a wide draw before dropping back and then running on smartly to score in a fast time at this class and distance beating a couple of today’s rivals in the process. She comes up in the weights as a result but draws better and is a danger. (11) BURNING PARTY ran 2nd to Fashion Blade in that June 20th race having been on pace and leading for much of the race. She has won at this distance and has posted consistently fast times so should be a threat again. (5) FIRST STAR was 4th in the same race and while she may perhaps have less scope for improvement than some of her rivals, she is rarely far away and should be in the mix again.
|Selections||(3) Good Tank (6) Fashion Blade (11) Burning Party (5) First Star|
|Next Best||8, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 8, 11|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(3) LAGERTHA was a solid winner at this class and distance on her latest start on June 20th. That day she settled midfield before running on strong late on to beat a couple of today’s rivals in the process. She comes in at the same weights and a repeat of that effort would make her hard to beat. (7) HERO SPEED ran 2nd to Lagertha in the June 20th race. After settling on the pace and wide she finished off well and actually led in the final furlong. She may not turn the tables here but should be a strong place chance again. (6) GABO SARANGHAE was 4th in that same race continuing an upward trajectory of performances. She broke the best that day and was on pace until the end and she will be competing for the early lead again today. (11) AFLEET MARINE shouldn’t be too concerned about the wide draw. She can settle just off the pace and has consistently run competitive times at this distance. She disappointed as favourite last start when 6th but can be given another chance here.
|Selections||(3) Lagertha (7) Hero Speed (6) Gabo Saranghae (11) Afleet Marine|
|Next Best||4, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 7, 11|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 33 Million
(4) ACE SOLOMON was a winner of two from four at class 6 level, including at this distance, before running 2nd on his first try at this class on June 26th when he settled midfield and finished off well, albeit well beaten by a good winner. He finished ahead of two of today’s rivals and he has solid claims to return to the winner’s circle here. (2) INFINITY POWER was a winner at this distance at class 6 level and ran a good 2nd at her latest start on June 20th, sitting off the pace and then running on strong. Jo In-kwon climbing aboard today is in her favour. (1) WONDERFUL KING drops back in trip following two very encouraging spins around 1400M. He is yet to win from eleven attempts but has six top-three finishes and while he is giving away weight, he draws well and should be in the finish again. (3) PARTY INDY steps up in class here following a good win at the distance in May. She made all that day and while this is a stiffer test, she should be on speed again and can measure up against most of these.
|Selections||(4) Ace Solomon (2) Infinity Power (1) Wonderful King (3) Party Indy|
|Next Best||11, 8|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 11|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 33 Million
(12) GWANGYANG EUTTEUM ran 2nd on debut before stumbling a bit at the start on his reappearance on June 27th before proceeding to absolutely bolt in by eight-lengths over this distance. He is up in class here and draws the car park, but neither should be of concern, and he has every chance again. (1) HI HI is ultra-consistent having never been worse than 3rd in five starts so far and is versatile too having won from behind and also – by a full ten-lengths – when having led from the start. Last time over 1300M he settled midfield and ran on well for 3rd and he may prove hard to beat from the perfect draw. There appears to be plenty of speed in this race and if there is too much of it, (7) ENERGIZER could prove to be the beneficiary. He came from well back for a good 3rd place last time over 1300M beating a few of these in the process and he will be given a patient ride again here. (6) NORWAY THIRD is up in class on her last start win over 1000M when she led all the way. This is tougher but she may offer some each-way value.
|Selections||(12) Gwangyang Eutteum (1) Hi Hi (7) Energizer (6) Norway Third|
|Next Best||2, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 8, 12|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 45 Million
(10) FUTURE KING has won two of his latest three, both at this distance and both in fast times and in varying styles, first settling handy and leading and then coming from off the pace, which he did at his latest start on June 12th. An apprentice being engaged today stops him from going up too much in the weights and he is very much the one to beat here. (2) B.K. LOOKS ran 3rd behind Future King from a wide draw in that June 12th race before putting in an average performance over 1400M a couple of weeks later. Back in trip and into a good barrier means he comes into the picture here. (12) YEONGGWANGUI START comes up in class following an all the way win at class 5 in the domestic ranks back in April. The sixteen-week layoff plus the widest gate are concerns but they are mitigated by his coming down 3,5kg in the weights as well as the engagement of Perovic. There is one solitary debut-maker and that is (4) BOLAVEN. A rare Aussie bred (by Dissident) he did nothing at all wrong in his trial where he looked at home among experienced racehorses. He has a lovely weight and a lovely draw.
|Selections||(10) Future King (2) B.K. Looks (12) Yeonggwangui Start (4) Bolaven|
|Next Best||3, 9|
|Fast Start||8, 9, 11, 12|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 45 Million
Fillies only here and it’s a hot race with many chances. (3) JEDI is a winner of her latest two starts at this class, beating a few of these in the process. They were at 1200M, but she has placed at distances up to 1700M, so today’s seven-furlongs is of no concern. She is up significantly in the weights, but the barrier mitigates that, and she has solid claims to win again here. (8) CUPID POINT is up in class after a six-length demolition of a class 5 field over 1300M in a terrific time. She has won over 1400M too by a similarly ridiculous margin, albeit in a weak race. It would be no surprise to see her competitive here. (6) CHEONMA TODAY has terrific 1200M form and ran a fair 4th at this trip too. She is up in class but expect here to be on speed form the start and to be competitive in the run. (2) RAON SPECIAL is another whose best work to date has been over 1200M but has placed to 1400M with a racing pattern of being midfield to back in the field and running on. The good barrier should give her options.
|Selections||(3) Jedi (8) Cupid Point (6) Cheonma Today (2) Raon Special|
|Next Best||12, 7|
|Fast Start||6, 7, 8, 11|
Busan Race 6: Class 1 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(8) GOLDEN WINNER finally makes his way up to class 1 having won four of his last five in fine style. His latest two wins at class 2 level were sprints but he was previously considered more of a distance horse. It’s true that he has only won one of his three attempts at a mile, but he seems to be getting better and better and under a light weight today, he will be expected to lead all the way. The reason he gets in so light is that (6) BAENGMUNBAEKDAP is present. Even with an apprentice claiming an allowance, he still gives a minimum of 5kg to the rest. That allowance helped him beat Doctor Carson and Blue Chipper over 1400M back on June 6th. He tends to settle in midfield or further back and he will run on strong at the end. (7) BRAVE KINGDOM‘s last victory came at this distance. He showed signs of coming back into form with a very creditable 4th behind Baengmunbaekdap last start and can be in the mix here. (3) SILLAUI JEONSEOL was an excellent winner at this class over 1800M back in April. He rarely runs a bad race and is a place chance again here.
|Selections||(8) Golden Winner (6) Baengmunbaekdap (7) Brave Kingdom (3) Sillaui Jeonseol|
|Next Best||4, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 7: Class 5 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 33 Million
(3) DREAM FASHION put in a nice effort at his first go at this class when he settled midfield and then ran on wide in the straight for 4th in what was a tight finish. He tackles two turns for the first time but the way he has finished off his races indicates he should measure up and a maiden win at start number ten is not impossible here. (6) TYCHE FIRE is the likely favourite having already won at class and distance. He left himself a bit much to do in both his latest two starts, in which he finished 4th both times but in what is arguably more amenable company today, he can return to winning ways. (5) KOREAN PEARL ran 3rd behind a dominant Coljoy last start when he settled back in the field and ran on well. He is up slightly in the weights but should be in the mix. (4) RUFFIAN PARK also went in the Coljoy race, finishing well back. We’ll draw a line through that and instead go on his solid form at class and distance and give him a place chance here.
|Selections||(3) Dream Fashion (6) Tyche Fire (5) Korean Pearl (4) Ruffian Park|
|Next Best||7, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 8, 12|
Seoul Race 8: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
In a race of many chances, (7) BOLT MAN has done everything right so far and is a last start class 4 winner in a good time when he settled midfield then ran on wide in the straight. He is up in class for his sternest test yet but is significantly down in the weights and he could spring a surprise here. (5) CONSTI SOLO enters in terrific form having won his latest two, both over 1800M. Last start he settled on pace and simply proved too strong. He is up in weight, but he has won under bigger, and he draws nicely here. He will probably start favourite. (2) BALVENIE surely leads here, and he comes in off two excellent wins, the latest of which was at class and distance on June 12th when he made all. Even though he comes up 3kg in the weights, he has genuine claims. (1) MUNHAK SUN has raced just three times and comes up in class but down in weights following wins at his latest two starts, both over 1400M. He can race handy to the lead or settle and run on which will give Munro options as there is speed in this excellent little race.
|Selections||(7) Bolt Man (5) Consti Solo (2) Balvenie (1) Munhak Sun|
|Next Best||4, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 9: Class 1 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(8) EAST JET is one of Korea’s best sprinters and is a last start class and distance winner when he settled on pace and ran a super time. He draws slightly better today and despite going up to 59kg, he should be far too good. (12) GAENARI SONG was the beneficiary of East Jet being disqualified on May 16th which handed him the victory although on the track, he was well beaten. He will settle on the pace and can provide testing material. (11) DIXIE AGAIN comes into class 1 with a great record at 1400M where he leads. He has won seven of ten starts so far and finished no worse than 4th in the other three. There can be a different tempo at class 1 though, and while he is getting a full 8kg from East Jet, he may not be ready to beat him quite yet especially with an unhelpful draw. He is a definite place chance though and it’s worth following his progress. (10) PLATINUM EURO put in a decent shift last time out when 5th to East Jet over 1200M. He settled midfield and ran on well and can do the same here.
|Selections||(8) East Jet (12) Gaenari Song (11) Dixie Again (10) Platinum Euro|
|Next Best||5, 1|
|Fast Start||8, 9, 11, 12|