Sunday’s racing is at Seoul (10 races from 10:45 to 18:00) and at Busan (7 races from 11:10 to 16:40). Eoma Eoma faces Morfhis and Raon First in Seoul’s feature race. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
We’re go-go on (3) BOGO TTO BOGO here following his last start win at this distance when he settled handily behind the leaders before running on strongly in the straight. He didn’t win by much, but he gets a slightly better draw today and has solid claims to follow up. Likely favourite is (11) JANGSAN GUARD. He is an improving type who ran a close 3rd to Bogo Tto Bogo last time when ridden to the lead early. He may need a bit of luck today from a wide draw but it’s clear he has potential. (12) SOEWAKKOT scored a soft win over 1000M last start. She led all the way and was too strong, registering a fast time. She steps out to 1200M here and doesn’t get much luck with the draw but with some luck can feature in the finish. (5) ICE STAR was a narrow winner at this distance two starts back. He only managed 6th when returning to action on June 19th but can aim for a place here. (4) JILJU BORN another in the placing hunt.
|Selections||(3) Bogo Tto Bogo (11) Jangsan Guard (12) Soewakkot (5) Ice Star|
|Next Best||4, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 11, 12|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 33 Million
We’ll take a chance on a first-timer starter here. (6) DONGTEUJA BOY. His dam is a half-sister to Dongbanui Gangja, one of the great runners in Korea of the early 2000s and she herself was a precocious talent winning her first six races. Her first foal to make the track was similarly good early on. Dongteuja Boy ran 3rd in his trial in a fast time behind two experienced racehorses and he has every chance of scoring first up. If you prefer experience, then (2) DOCTOR TEXAS is the one for you. He was 5th on debut over this distance before running a solid 4th over 1300M second-up on June 12th when he was on pace throughout. Back in trip and with a good gate he should be on pace again and has every chance of going all the way. (11) K CHUJKE was a significantly improved 2nd at his third start on June 13th and can build on that here while (1) SPEED MAST and (8) B J SONG have potential for improvement.
|Selections||(6) Dongteuja Boy (2) Doctor Texas (11) K Chukje (1) Speed Mast|
|Next Best||8, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 9, 12|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
There is just the one unraced entrant here and we’re going to take a chance on him. The only two-year-old in the race, (4) BULBANGUL is a Hansen colt who trialed up very nicely, working home well three-lengths behind international Listed winner Dolkong. He should have derived great benefit from that excursion and with Moon Se Young aboard, is worth serious consideration first-up. (3) GEOLJAK WOMAN has placed at 1200M and returned to form lats start when 2nd over 1000M in a good time She was hard ridden that day to be handy and then ran on well in the straight and did her best work near the finish. A repeat of that run puts her in the mix. (11) REMEMBER WHEN is sure to have backers based on her latest outing when 2nd over 1200M, taking an early bump and then making up ground in the straight. She’s never been worse than 6th in seven appearances and surely goes close again. (1) RUN TO GOAL is worth thought based on her last start 2nd over 1000M, which was a big improvement. She looks ready to step back up in trip and should be competitive.
|Selections||(4) Bulbangul (3) Geoljak Woman (11) Remember When (1) Run To Goal|
|Next Best||5, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 8, 11, 12|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(12) MISS INDIE debuted over 1300M on May 30th, quickly working her way to the front from gate eleven and then running on for a comfortable win. Neither the step up in trip or the even wider draw should give her too many problems and the half-sister of Mr. Afleet, a winner of seven from twelve so far, should be maintaining her 100% record here. (3) B.K. KING STAR is likely to be the clear second favourite. He comes in off his maiden win at start five on June 5th when he settled handy before running on strong over this distance. He draws well and can give the favourite a scare. (4) HONEY STAR has hinted at some ability with his best so far being a smart 3rd at this distance back in May and he has placing claims here as does (5) TRIPLE JILJU, who improved last start when 4th in a decent time over 1000M. He tries this trip for the first time today. (2) BLUE OAK the best of the rest.
|Selections||(12) Miss Indie (3) B.K. King Star (4) Honey Star (5) Triple Jilju|
|Next Best||2, 7|
|Fast Start||5, 7, 9, 12|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(4) THE FIGHTING has shown ability and last start it began to all come together with a 2nd at this trip in a good time. He worked hard to be on the pace all the way and battled on well. He draws closer today which should assist him. (11) BLUE HAMMER is potentially the betting favourite. Last start in the wet, he was handy before drifting back and working home adequately in the straight. Previously he raced handily on the rails and made-up good ground to be 2nd and could nail this race if he repeated that run although he may need some luck from the wide draw. (7) BEST FORCE has finished close at hand in recent starts in fair times. Last time out he was ridden hard to be midfield before running wide and running on. He can figure in the finish here. (5) DAESEUNG GAON improved to 3rd last time when settled well back in the field and working her way through the field late on. She along with (6) WONDERFUL ORANGE have placing claims.
|Selections||(4) The Fighting (11) Blue Hammer (7) Best Force (5) Daeseung Gaon|
|Next Best||6, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 7, 11|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 33 Million
(8) HAENAM HAMMER registered back-to-back wins over 1200M and a mile in March and April before running 2nd at this distance on her first crack at class 5 on May 29th, beaten by Sunlight Boy. She can be on pace or handy and looks to have the potential for further development. (7) HILL MORE comes in off consecutive runner-up finishes, the latter of which was at this class. He tends to go back and then run on strong and while he does carry an extra couple of kilos today, he should be in the finish today but may have to settle for yet another near miss. (5) FLAT BABE ran 3rd behind Hill More at class and distance on June 6th. Just like Hill More she is yet to win, but she is also yet to miss the top three in four starts. She gets a better draw today and can sit just behind the early speed. That speed may be set by (4) ECOPIA. Having run 3rd on debut, the Colonel John filly broke through at start number two over 1000M on June 12th. She comes up in both class and distance here, but from a good draw can get to the lead and cause problems. (12) SEOBU QUEEN among others with placing claims.
|Selections||(8) Haenam Hammer (7) Hill More (5) Flat Babe (4) Ecopia|
|Next Best||12, 1|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 8, 10|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 33 Million
Fillies only here. Likely favourite is (5) YULONG STAR who put in a much-improved run last start at class and distance when she recovered from an awkward start to settle midfield and run on resolutely. She looks ready to win here. (9) SARYEONI QUEEN is up in class following a four-length score last time out on May 29th. She has been consistent and run good times and if she can get on the pace here, she has winning chances again. (2) WONDERFUL HEART is a winner at 1300M and hasn’t been too far away in recent efforts. She is an on-pace type of runner so the barrier brings here into play here. (8) CATCH CHARM has been the beaten favourite at both of her latest two starts. In the first of them she led then weakened in the straight while in the second she was midfield throughout without quickening. She’ll not be favourite today but there is talent there and she’s worth keeping safe in the wider numbers. (11) RUBICON another in the frame.
|Selections||(5) Yulong Star (9) Saryeoni Queen (2) Wonderful Heart (8) Catch Charm|
|Next Best||11, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6, 11|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 45 Million
Plenty on the hunt here. We’ll go for (5) DUNCAN to prevail though. He holds the fastest time of any of these which he achieved when registering his maiden win back in January and has since acquitted himself competently enough in starts at 1800M and again at a mile. In this company he should be able to get close to the early pace and this can be his day. (7) POKPUNG EONDEOK beat Duncan last time out as the pair finished 3rd and 4th respectively at class and distance. He likes to go back in his races and then run on and while that does mean he sometimes needs some luck to avoid trouble in running, he can be a big danger here. The experienced (4) MAGIC FLYING looks like he is coming back into form. He ran a close 2nd to Man Of Top when sent off at decent odds just two weeks ago when he worked forward early from a wide draw and with Seo Seung-un taking the ride today, he has every chance. (3) TWO TWO LEADS and (10) SINBIHAN YEOIN are among others with placing hopes.
|Selections||(5) Duncan (7) Pokpung Eondeok (4) Magic Flying (3) Two Two Leads|
|Next Best||10, 12|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6, 9|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 33 Million
(1) ON POINT broke through for a class 5 win at his latest start over this distance on June 12th. He had the widest gate that day and settled in midfield before running on strong to beat a useful field that contained a couple of today’s rivals. He has shown himself capable of running on pace too, so the inside gate gives jockey Kim Dong-soo plenty of options. He’s the one to beat. (7) JOY BROTHER was 3rd to On Point in that June 29th race. He settled midfield and then ran on, meeting a bit of interference at the 500M. With a clear run today, he can get closer. (9) CHOEGANG BLACK comes up in class after a last start win over 1300M. Her time was competitive, and she appears to have scope for further development. Another last start class 6 winner and possible each-way option here is (10) RULES CLASS. He won by a good margin over 1200M when settling midfield and running on, indicating that he may fancy this distance. (8) FEDERAL EYE is another with solid claims to at least a place.
|Selections||(1) On Point (7) Joy Brother (9) Choegang Black (10) Rules Class|
|Next Best||8, 2|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 7, 9|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 45 Million
Fillies and mares here. (11) ACE DAY has finished no worse than 4th in six starts to date and was a good all the way winner over the distance two starts back when overcoming gate eleven to get on pace and lead all the way. He then came straight up to this class and ran 3rd, again at this distance in a good time having led. She’s already proved that this gate is no problem and coming back into restricted filly and mare company she can prove too strong. The clear second choice is (1) HAPPY WITCH. She returned from six months out to run a really good class and distance 2nd on June 12th when she sat handy throughout and got close to the winner. A couple of today’s rivals were behind her in that race, and plenty more will be today. (10) ACHIM BIT doesn’t win out of turn, but she is very consistently close. She has two 2nds and two 3rds from her latest four outings and has beaten a number of these in recent starts. She generally sits in midfield and runs on so the draw is no problem, and she can go close again. (5) ALPHA AGAIN won three straight races across the turn of the year but just went off the boil a little bit after that. She dropped back to this distance last time and finished a very good 3rd behind Yeongung Louis and Geuma Psychic and that performance suggests she could be coming good again. (4) CHOEGANG DRAGON among other hopes.
|Selections||(11) Ace Day (1) Happy Witch (10) Achim Bit (5) Alpha Again|
|Next Best||5, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 45 Million
A small field of eight American bred runners go around here. (4) MUNHAK MOON is set to be the warm favourite. He has just the one win to his name, which came over 1200M back in April, but his running style has suggested he will prefer further and he gets that opportunity today. He draws nicely and while he gives weight away to most, the Gemologist colt should be too good for what is a pretty average set of opponents. (2) JANGSAN TANK had a poor day at the office over 1700M last start but has run well at this distance including a 3rd place two starts back. Of those in this field who have tackled the distance before, he holds the fastest time and can be considered one of the main dangers here. Another danger is (3) MIGHTY POP. A winner at 1200M in February, he struggled to get into the race from a wide draw at this distance on his return in April. He has had a couple of months off since then and should go well fresh today. (1) PANORAMA QUEEN and (5) SPRING KKUM are others who can dispute the minor money.
|Selections||(4) Munhak Moon (2) Jangsan Tank (3) Mighty Pop (1) Panorama Queen|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 5|
Busan Race 6: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(10) KING SOCKS finally returns to action a full 136 weeks after winning the Breeders’ Cup, Korea’s championship race for juveniles all the way back in 2018, capping an unbeaten two-year-old campaign for four wins from four starts. Setback after setback followed and while he briefly returned to training at a couple of points in 2020, he didn’t make it to the races. He finally made it back to full-time training at the end of May and he looked very well when winning atrial on June 11th. He last raced when he was two, he is now five, but he can return with a win today. This isn’t an easy return though. (1) AKER’S DREAM has won three of nine and comes in off a solid 3rd place over 1400M three weeks ago and he will be dangerous from the inside gate. (7) ARA ROSE returns for the first time since last December. She was in excellent form before her layoff and looked well in two fast trials in May and June. Her style is to come from off the pace and she has a great finish on her. (4) ROCKY SKY has five runner-up finishes to go with his solitary win. He didn’t go well when tried at a mile in early June but went back to trial afterwards and blitzed it, so he should welcome the opportunity to be back sprinting here.
|Selections||(10) King Socks (1) Aker’s Dream (7) Ara Rose (4) Rocky Sky|
|Next Best||8, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 8, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 7: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(6) K TOP KING is always competitive at this distance and comes in having defeated several of these on May 30th. He is a front runner and is well drawn to get to the lead again today. The concern is that he has the steadier of 58kg to cart around today but he should be equal to that task. (1) RAON FASHION is nicely drawn today and comes in off a last start 2nd on a very wet track. He took a bump after the start that day before recovering to lead until the 100M and he has solid claims today. (9) RIDE LUCKY was a last start winner at class and distance back in April with K Top King among the victims that day. He likes to race handy to the leaders and always runs on so with the benefit of a 4kg apprentice claim he will surely be in the finish here. (8) DADDY GLORY ran 2nd to K Top King in May and while she was disappointing at 1400M three weeks ago, can be given another chance dropped back in trip. (3) WONDERFUL DIXIE has been in the money at recent starts and has a nice draw today – there is a question mark about the wet track with him though and it is monsoon season, after all.
|Selections||(6) K Top King (1) Raon Fashion (9) Ride Lucky (8) Daddy Glory|
|Next Best||3, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 9, 11|
Busan Race 7: Class 1 (2000M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
Fascinating race here as (1) HUNCH, who is still on a class 2 rating, takes his chances in class 1 and tackles 2000M for the first time. He may well win. He is out of the weight scale so will carry 52kg with Djordje Perovic aboard and draws the inside gate. Last start at 1800M he carried 56kg and had to work hard to get on pace from a wide draw – if everything was against him last time, everything is in his favour here. The other contenders all come out of a race on May 16th over 2000M which was won by (4) SMART PRINCE. He mixes his form but warrants respect and will be finishing fast late on. (5) SOCKS GO was 2nd in that race, finishing strongly and with an extra furlong to play with here, we will go with him to overturn the form. (9) NEW YORK MANGCHI was 3rd in that race. He has since dropped back to 1400M and ran a very good 5th making up excellent ground late on. This should suit much better. Old favourite (7) GREAT KING comes in under a manageable weight with an apprentice on board and will no doubt give a good account of himself.
|Selections||(1) Hunch (5) Socks Go (9) New York Mangchi (4) Smart Prince|
|Next Best||7, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 45 Million
(2) UNOECHANGCHEON has never been worse than 4th in eight outings to date and is a last start winner over 1400M at class 5 level. Her racing pattern is to be handy to midfield and then to run on indicating that 1700M may be within her scope. She has a nice draw and a nice weight here and with Moon Se-young up, she has a big chance. (6) THUNDER WIND is ultra-consistent at this distance with one win from four attempts along with a 2nd and two 3rds and has shown progress in running better times. Recently he has either led or raced handy and he has a real chance here. (3) CHOEGANG PARTY is a last start winner at this class and distance on a wet track beating plenty of these in the process. He is nicely drawn and even though up in weight is still worthy of consideration. (9) GEUMA SUPREME was 2nd to Choegang Party last time. He will perhaps need a touch of luck here but is capable of sneaking into the placings again. (7) MANSEOK JIGI the best of the rest.
|Selections||(2) Unoechangcheon (6) Thunder Wind (3) Choegang Party (9) Geuma Supreme|
|Next Best||7, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 7|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(4) JANGSAN MISSILE picks himself here having won his last three starts with the latter two having been over the staying journey. He is up in class but down in weight, he likes to race handy to the leaders and has a great barrier to facilitate this. (1) LOVELY K bolted in at her latest start in a good time over 1400M. Her racing patter is to be handy to midfield indicating that two turns may suit. She draws the inside which gives her plenty of options. (6) DORAON POPEYE is very consistent over the staying trip and likes to settle midfield or better. He comes in after a smart 2nd over 1800M at this class and merits consideration for at least another place. (3) FIGHT TODAY has been thereabouts at recent starts culminating in a 3rd last time out at this trip when he settled on the pace. He is giving weight away to here but should be competitive. (11) SHARK JJANG another in the placing hunt.
|Selections||(4) Jangsan Missile (1) Lovely K (6) Doraon Popeye (3) Fight Today|
|Next Best||11, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 6|
Seoul Race 10: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(11) EOMA EOMA is unbeaten at this distance and for good measure, he holds the track record for it too. The last time he faced (12) MORFHIS the weights were in his favour to the exact same degree and Eoma Eoma won comfortably. With an 8kg advantage again, it is going to be very hard for Morfhis to overturn that form and Eoma Eoma should win. The wide draw should trouble neither as Eoma Eoma won well from gate fourteen last start and Morfhis likes to come from behind anyway. An excellent draw does though put (4) RAON FIRST into the calculations. As a two-year-old she beat East Jet by ten-lengths and comes in off two super performances at this distance and at 1800M. She has a great start on her and while at level weights, she probably can’t beat Eoma Eoma, she can make a nuisance of herself. (3) WANG BEOTKKOT and (10) TOP BRAIN are others in the minor money hunt.
|Selections||(11) Eoma Eoma (12) Morfhis (4) Raon First (3) Wang Beotkkot|
|Next Best||10, 7|
|Fast Start||4, 7, 8, 11|