It’s going to be a wet one! The monsoon season arrived in Korea during racing on Saturday and it’s expected to keep on raining for the foreseeable future. There are Sunday cards at Seoul (9 races from 11:00 to 18:00) and at Busan (6 races from 11:30 to 16:30). Blue Chipper faces Doctor Carson once more at Busan while at Seoul there is a heavyweight clash too in the shape of Heuk Jeonsa vs Dia Road. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 33 Million
Three-year-old fillies get proceedings underway. (6) MODERN TIMES comes in off a good 2nd on debut when after a bump at the start she showed speed to be on pace and ran on well. She twitched her tail a little every time the jockey urged her forward with the crop but responded well to hands and heels. Hopefully she has learned from that and can improve here. (3) NAMSAN CHOCOLATE has improved at every start and showed a nice effort last time when 2nd over 1000M showing plenty of speed to be at the front and finishing off pleasingly. She returns to the filly ranks today, gets a nice barrier and her jockey’s confidence will have been buoyed by a good win last week. (4) HAPPY DAY has placed in two of three starts to date. Her latest was her first since last summer and she could well have come in for it. (2) MAGIC TIDE’s worst finish to date was at this distance but she hung in at the start and took a bump before finishing well and may be worth some though. (5) PRINCESS SOCKS is the only filly in the field with a win to her name and comes into the calculations based on that.
|Selections||(6) Modern Times (3) Namsan Chocolate (4) Happy Day (2) Magic Tide|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 6|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(7) AMAZING FOOT is set to be favourite here. He has two runner-up finishes from four starts so far, his latest being a fast race over 1000M on a wet track when he led for much of the way around. He’ll be on speed again here and can go all the way this time. (2) SEOBU WONDERFUL made an inauspicious start to his career but went back to trial in June and looked a very different prospect. From a good draw, expect to see him on speed here. (1) KING BID has been knocking on the door for a while. He was a good 2nd over 1300M two starts back before leading and then weakening late over 1400M last start. Back in trip today and drawn on the inside can help him go close. The rest of the form in this race is patchy but (5) OMEGA GIRL and (9) QUICK WIND, the latter like Seobu Wonderful having shown promise in a trial since her latest race, which was all the way back last summer, are others to consider.
|Selections||(7) Amazing Foot (2) Seobu Wonderful (1) King Bid (9) Quick Wind|
|Next Best||5, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(1) SAENAE WIN looks ready to win after placing at his last two starts. He has tended to be a little bit slow away, but his most recent performance was good one and with a little bit of luck today, he can make the breakthrough. (9) K N LIGHT is a winner at 1200M already. He has had to work hard from wide draws to get to a decent position and has perhaps paid for it in the later stages of his subsequent two races, but he looked well when winning a June trial and can go close here. (4) MAIN OF KING is worthy of consideration based on his last start over 1200M when he settled well back in the field in the field then ran on really well and doing his best work near the finish. (8) GEUMA FLAWLESS has been there or thereabouts in recent starts. He met some interference early last time out over 1200M and then settled back before running on strong in the straight. 1300M should suit and with an easier run he can be competitive again. Solitary debut-maker (3) KING CRUSH trialed up in 2nd place behind K N Light and has every chance of going well on his racecourse debut.
|Selections||(1) Saenae Win (9) K N Light (4) Main Of King (8) Geuma Flawless|
|Next Best||3, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 7, 11|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 33 Million
(4) RUN FIGHTER has a 3rd and a 2nd to his name from two starts so far, both times coming from off the pace and finishing off well. Those races were at 1200M and 1400M respectively so he splits the difference today and under the in-form Perovic can find a nice sport from a good barrier and be too strong late on. The main danger is (7) WINNER STAR. He’s raced just the once so far when he jumped midfield then settled handy and ran on for 2nd behind Wonder Blade. He should have come on for that experience and the additional half furlong today may suit. (1) FANTASTIC LEADER has two 3rd place finishes and while he only managed 6th on his first try at this distance last start, he draws better today and can be competitive. (2) USEUNG MELODY and (9) CROWN KING STAR are others with the potential to improve.
|Selections||(4) Run Fighter (7) Winner Star (1) Fantastic Leader (2) Useung Melody|
|Next Best||9, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(2) K BLADE is perhaps due a change of luck after three 3rd place finishes at distances out to 1300M. Her racing pattern is to be handy or on the pace and a nice draw here puts her into prime contention. (1) JEONGMUN PRINCE can have his latest start disregarded and instead we’ll look to his previous effort over 1400M when soon after the start he knuckled over but regained his footing before settling near the back and then working home very well for 3rd. He should be in contention here. (6) CHEONDUNGSEJA is the least experienced in the race with five prior outings, but he is showing improvement with a last start 3rd over 1000M. Going out to 1300M here may be a query but his racing pattern to date has been to settle midfield to handy which may suit the longer trip. (8) YEONGUNG DAEMA comes into the picture having been close at his last two starts. Last time over 1300M he was only fairly away but ran on well in the straight. (9) BIG RED the best of the rest.
|Selections||(2) K Blade (1) Jeongmun Prince (6) Cheondungseja (8) Yeongung Daema|
|Next Best||9, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 6, 9|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 33 Million
(7) MUJEOK BULPAE tops all the indicators here. Fastest average first furlong, fastest average final furlong, fastest time at this distance. That latter record was recorded two starts back when beating a few of these when 2nd to Adele Pupil on a wet track and he followed up with another runner-up finish when dropped back to 1200M on June 13th. He carries top weight but should be too good. (5) TEAM SKY was well back behind Mujeok Bulpae two starts ago from a horrible draw but stepped up to a mile last time and made all for a narrow win. Ioannis Poullis isn’t likely to hang about here so expect him to lead again and be in the finish. (4) CHOEGANG LIGER was very slowly away last start before rallying for 6th. He is better than that and has placing claims here along with (6) ROCK PEGASUS and (8) YEONGGWANGUIRUNNER.
|Selections||(7) Mujeok Bulpae (5) Team Sky (4) Choegang Liger (8) Yeonggwanguirunner|
|Next Best||6, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 45 Million
(8) THE QUEEN JUSTICE ran a good race on her first try at this class when she settled midfield and ran on wide in the straight over 1300M. She comes back to 1200M after a seven-week freshen up and looks nicely in here. The faovurite will be (4) MORNING HILL. He was a good winner of his opening two races but weakened having led over 1400M on his first try at class 5 level on June 5th. Back at 1200M and very nicely drawn, he has every chance of returning to winning ways. (9) CHEONBISEONG comes in after a good 2nd when he settled handy to the leaders and then ran on well on the rails beating a number of these in the process. The draw isn’t ideal but he looks a placing chance. Further back in that race was (6) GREEN POKJU. We’ll give that filly another chance based on her win to starts back at class 6 level when she made all over this distance. (10) STREET GANGJA another in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(8) The Queen Justice (4) Morning Hill (9) Cheonbiseong (6) Green Pokju|
|Next Best||10, 2|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7, 9|
Busan Race 4: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 33 Million
(8) SUCCESS MACHO has won both his starts so far in fine fashion with front running performances over both 1200M and 1300M with winning margins of six and five-lengths respectively. He is up in both class and slightly in distance today, but neither should present any issue and he will be hotly favoured to complete a hat-trick of victories. (1) DONGBANUI SIJAK also comes up in class in her case after a less spectacular, but commendably solid start to her career. She comes in after a good 2nd in a fast time to Miss Indie over 1300M and the additional half furlong may suit under a light weight. (2) WONDERFUL KING is yet to score in ten attempts but has four runner-up finishes ad was a decent 4th at this class and distance having led last time out. He draws nicely and can be on pace early. (6) WONDERFUL JAZZ comes up in class and in distance after a decent win over 1200M on June 12th. He can sit on the pace or handy and can be competitive at this level. (9) CHEONNYEONUIGUREUM another with placing hopes.
|Selections||(8) Success Macho (1) Dongbanui Sijak (2) Wonderful King (6) Wonderful Jazz|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 6, 8|
Seoul Race 5: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 45 Million
(5) RAPIDO ARES gets the nod here. Disregard her latest start when she was caught a little wide early from less-than-ideal barrier. She had good form prior to that when on the pace or settled in a handy position and today’s draw helps her chances. (1) LOVE RACE is competitive at most distances. She has tended to get back in her races but from the inside gate here, Antonio Da Silva may opt to have her handy and she comes into the calculations. (6) MONEY SILK is a hard horse to get too enthused over but, in this field, he is a genuine place chance based on times he has run. Last time he was wide but still ran on and should go better here. It’s been a while since (8) MAMMA ROMA placed but she does seem to prefer this distance, and this isn’t the toughest of races. He racing pattern is to settle midfield and run on, she has light weight and looks a money chance. (3) IL MARE mixes his form but is another one who in this company, can aim for a money finish.
|Selections||(5) Rapido Ares (1) Love Race (6) Money Silk (8) Mamma Roma|
|Next Best||3, 9|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 6|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 45 Million
It’s rare in Korea for a horse to tackle 1800M at just his second start but (8) GEUMA STORMING is a four-year-old who went through a good number of trials before making his debut at a mile on June 13th and running a very creditable 2nd having led for much of the race. He should have learned a bit from the experience and is from the track’s top stable. He looks to have an excellent chance of winning here. (9) SEUNGNI TOUT was a last start winner at a mile on May 22nd. That was his maiden win but he has finished in the top four in seven of nine attempts to date and is set to be one of the main dangers here, most likely sitting handy and then running on. That day in May he beat (10) TWO TWO CARLTON, who himself was a class and distance winner in April (with Seungni Tout in 4th). Two Two Carlton likes to settle midfield so the draw should not be a problem. With Perovic taking the ride, there was a chance in tactics on (4) DOCTOR SKY and it did the trick has with a front-running performance he recorded a good 2nd over a mile in a fast time and that brings him into contention here. (5) TOP BEST the best of a competitive rest.
|Selections||(8) Geuma Storming (9) Seungni Tout (10) Two Two Carlton (4) Doctor Sky|
|Next Best||5, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 8|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 45 Million
(9) STEADY CHAMPION took a couple of goes to figure things out, especially the start , but has now won his latest two races, both of them over this distance and both in good times. He is up in class here and while he may need a bit of luck, given that he has drawn the outside barrier in a race which contains some good form, he looks the one to beat again. (6) IRON MUSKET is a winner of three races up to 1200M in decent enough times. She did race once at this distance which didn’t go well but we will give her a pass on what was her only defeat to date She’ll be on pace or handy here and while up in class, should have enough about her to be in the finish. (8) TK BOY has been placed in all eight of his races so far. Last time out he came 3rd at class and distance with a couple of today’s rivals behind him. His style is settle towards the rear or in midfield so the barrier is not a problem and he can go close. (5) A. P. PATEK has his best form at this distance including a last start win which, while it was at class 5 was much stronger than that, featuring the likes of Royal Road and Coljoy, the latter a super winner last week. He comes down 4kg and should surely be in the hunt. (1) SAMANTHA CHEETAH another up in class but competitive.
|Selections||(9) Steady Champion (5) A. P. Patek (6) Iron Musket (8) TK Boy|
|Next Best||1, 4|
|Fast Start||1,4, 6, 9|
Busan Race 6: Class 1 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
Here we go again. And while the heart says (11) BLUE CHIPPER, the head and all recent experience says (2) DOCTOR CARSON. They both got beat by Baengmunbaekdap last time over 1400M in what was an untidy performance by Blue Chipper, and at a distance Doctor Carson remains yet to win at. If we go on their meeting two starts back at this distance where Doctor Carson won comfortably from a worse draw, then we have to favour the younger horse. Blue Chipper does come down in the weights by 3kg compared with that day due to an apprentice being legged aboard, but it may not be enough. As for the rest of them, the weights bring (9) GOOD CASTING into play as he gets a rare shot at both a sprint and just 51kg on his back. (10) SEOBU CAT races for the first time since last November when he won at this distance at class 1 level. He looked well in a June trial, but this is of an order of magnitude harder, and he doesn’t draw well. (4) WORLD TODAY and (12) DUBAI TEUKGEUP are others who could compete for the remaining place.
|Selections||(2) Doctor Carson (11) Blue Chipper (10) Seobu Cat (9) Good Casting|
|Next Best||4, 12|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 10, 11|
Seoul Race 7: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(8) GEUM ROYAL is never too far away at this class and looks sure to be competitive again here. His recent starts have been rewarded with 3rd and 4th over 1200M in good times. And he has beaten a few of these in recent times. He likes to come from off the pace so there is always a risk of getting caught in traffic. (1) CUPID MISSION is very consistent and deserves a change in luck having placed 3rd at each of his latest three starts, all at 1400M. He can run on pace and today’s barrier brings him right into this. (10) MENI SPEED drops back in trip following recent good work around two-turns. It will be interesting to see what tactics Johan Victoire employs here but this is a horse which rarely misses out on a prize, and plenty will put him on top. (3) MENI CHAMP may be a good each-way pick. His recent efforts at 1200M were better than they appear to be. He previously ran well at this distance having led and is nicely drawn to get to the front today. (2) GLOBAL CHEONHA among others with placing hopes.
|Selections||(8) Geum Royal (1) Cupid Mission (10) Meni Speed (3) Meni Champ|
|Next Best||2, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 4|
Seoul Race 8: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 45 Million
(7) SPOTLIGHT picks himself here having won his last four races at distances between 1200M and 1700M in varying styles, alternately leading all the way, going back and running on and settling handy. He comes up in the weights a little today but is very much the one to beat. (5) UNBEATEN GUY could be the improver in the race. At his last start he led comfortably when having his first go at 1700M, working to a big lead only to be caught by the favourite with 100M remaining. He should strip fitter for that and is a chance here. (3) VIKING STORM is another lightly raced horse who has shown marked improvement, He has a good barrier today which may help him get a good running position and he warrants consideration. (1) STORMY has saluted on just the one occasion, however, based on his last start he could be competitive here, despite the weight increase. (11) BERRING MAN the best of the rest.
|Selections||(7) Spotlight (5) Unbeaten Guy (3) Viking Storm (1) Stormy|
|Next Best||11, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 5, 7|
Seoul Race 9: Class 1 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(12) HEUK JEONSA is a smart galloper on the rise with two successive wins at class 1 level both at 1800M, a distance he has won at on five of his six attempts. He fought his jockey a little bit last time but still won impressively enough. He drew wide in both his latest wins so today’s barrier is not a concern, and he can win again. (10) DIA ROAD is ultra-consistent and last start put in a super run when a narrow 2nd in a great time over 1400M, narrowly defeated by Morfhis and ahead of (7) MEDICI GLORY. She has good staying form in Group and Listed distaff races and is sure to make her presence felt. Medici Glory himself is the third pick. While more recognized as a quality one-turn horse, he looks likely to beat a few. He has only had the one start at this distance when he finished 7th but that was off a three-month lay-off and he raced keenly – he did though beat an out of sorts Heuk Jeonsa. (5) GAON CHAMP is better known as a good sprinter, but his latest two efforts have been around two-turns to the raised eyebrows of plenty. The most recent of those was an improvement, even though he was a long way from the winner, and it could be that he is finding his feet at distance racing. (6) SUPER SOCKS the best of the rest.
|Selections||(12) Heuk Jeonsa (10) Dia Road (7) Medici Glory (5) Gaon Champ|
|Next Best||6, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 10, 11|