Korea’s all time leading jockey Park Tae-jong is set to miss the summer racing season as a result of injuries sustained in a heavy fall at Seoul Racecourse last Sunday. This Saturday sees racing at Seoul (8 races from 11:00 to 18:00) and Busan (6 races from 11:30 to 16:50).
Park landed heavily when dislodged from Lead Money on a wet track in the early stages of Seoul’s 1200M feature last Sunday. While the veteran rider, one of the toughest there is, initially only complained of pain in his wrist, later scans showed a broken ankle and ruptured knee ligaments. The first horse across the line in that race, East Jet, was disqualified and jockey Alan Munro suspended for 6 meetings.
Here are the Saturday previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(6) K N TEUKGEUP returned from five months out to run a significantly improved 3rd over 1200M on April 18th. He drops back in trip today but is a natural front-runner and from a good draw, looks to be the one to be beat. He will be vying for favourite status with (5) DASI DUSON. She was 4th behind K N Teukgeup last month in what for her too was her first start since last November. She’s also a front runner and the drop back in trip may be similarly beneficial. Those two look head and shoulders above the rest with (2) ARCH YEOGEOL and (7) CHEONDUNGSEJA among the others with experience who can be competitive in this company, having as they do, the two fastest times at this distance. There are also three first-time starters with (8) MODERN TIMES looking best placed to make an immediate impact following two promising trials.
|Selections||(6) K N Teukgeup (5) Dasi Duson (8) Modern Times (2) Arch Yeogeol|
|Next Best||7, 12|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 7, 9|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(3) KING ALLIE was a smart winner on debut, practically making all to win by as many lengths as he pleased in a fast time over 1000M. He’s up in distance today but looks nicely in to make it two from two. The main dangers are likely to come from the first-timer starters. (7) MUSIC BOX looks the best of them. The Indie Band filly won her trial in good fashion in a competitive time and will be expected to go close first-up here. (5) CATCH THE SKY was similarly impressive when winning the latest of two trials. He made all in that heat and is well drawn to get off to a good start again. Among the others who have experience, (8) STARLIGHT ran well for 4th at this trip on debut before not getting very involved at 1200M on his reappearance. He can be given another chance today as can (1) SPRING FIRE, who has been inconsistent but has hinted at ability.
|Selections||(3) King Allie (7) Music Box (5) Catch The Sky (8) Starlight|
|Next Best||1, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 7|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Fillies (and one mare) only here. (10) GOLDEN CHANCE comes in off back to back 2nd place finishes having led in both until the closing stages. She draws wider today so may have to use up a bit of energy to her to the front but there is little to fear in this field and she really should go one better today. (6) SEMYEONG HAETSAL is the only previous winner in the field so does warrant some respect, particularly as she drops back to the distance at which she scored that victory. (3) GREEN JJANG has been knocking at the door for some time and ran a decent enough 4th behind Golden Chance last start. There is little to suggest she can overturn that form but she should beat plenty. (1) WONDERFUL GEUMSUNG and (11) DOUBLE TAKE are others with the potential to improve.
|Selections||(10) Golden Chance (6) Semyeong Haetsal (3) Green Jjang (1) Wonderful Geumsung|
|Next Best||11, 7|
|Fast Start||3, 8, 10, 12|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(7) ANNIKA GIRL ran a solid 4th on debut over 1000M on April 24th. She started slowly but once she got into her stride ran on pleasingly and should have come on for the experience. The step up in trip may well be to her benefit and she can expect to start as favourite. (10) ANY LINE steps back in trip following a couple of spins around a mile including a useful 3rd place last time out, his best finish in six attempts to date. He can settle off the pace here and run on into some money. (11) MYEONGGA DAERO and (3) DARUI BADA have both run acceptable times at this distance and in this company both should be competitive while (8) DANCING DRAGON offered some improvement at start number two and can build on that here.
|Selections||(7) Annika Girl (10) Any Line (11) Myeongga Daero (3) Darui Bada|
|Next Best||8, 1|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 8, 11|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Maidens here but three come in following last start runner-up finishes and a couple of them look ready to go one better here. Top choice and expected favourite is (7) ILHYANG DALMA. She almost led gate to wire last start on April 18th ultimately having to settle for 2nd place. She draws slightly better this time and has a real chance. So too does (12) AFLEET MARINE. She showed a big uptick in form last time when 2nd over 1300M and can run on strong again here. (2) CHAMPION GAMUN led into the straight when tried at 1400M at the end of March before weakening. He’s back in trip here and should be a better prospect and will almost certainly be challenging Ilhyang Dalma for the early lead. (8) KOREA GIJEOK and (13) BIBONG MARU are among others in the placing hunt.
|Selections||(7) Ilhyang Dalma (12) Afleet Marine (2) Champion Gamun (13) Bibong Maru|
|Next Best||8, 14|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 7, 14|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
Small field here. (3) RAON THE POWER won his first two before coming up short in two efforts at this class, racing wide both times. He draws better today with a good chance of making it to the front early and he looks one of the banker favourites of the day to return to the winner’s circle. (1) MAN OF THE WORLD remains a maiden after fourteen starts but come in having shown good recent form. He led for much of the way around before running 3rd over this distance three weeks ago and while he will probably have to settle for a place again, he should be beating most of these. (2) FIRST MOCCASIN races for the first time in more than a year but looked sharp in a trial two weeks and can go well first-up. (4) THUNDER VEGAS and (8) B.K. POWER are others who can challenge for the minors.
|Selections||(3) Raon The Power (1) Man Of The World (2) First Moccasin (4) Thunder Vegas|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 8|
Seoul Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Tricky one here. (1) WONDERFUL K has shown promise across three completed outings to date (and another when he parted company with his jockey just after the jump) and was a useful 4th having been handy all the way last start. The inside gate should help him today and he surely goes close again. (4) PRINCESS SOCKS will be a big danger. She was a good winner over this distance two starts back and while she weakened last time out, she had used up a bit of energy to get forward from a wider draw. She’s worthy of another chance here. (10) GEUMSUNG CHARMNG has mixed his form a little but while he has been a touch one-paced, he generally runs on well and can challenge here. (3) DAESE MANSE and (5) GLOBAL CHEONSA are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(1) Wonderful K (4) Princess Socks (10) Geumsung Charming (5) Global Cheonsa|
|Next Best||3, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 10|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
Plenty of decent horses going around here but (1) GREAT BOSS will be strongly favoured to return to winning ways. He’s never been worse than 4th and has a 100% record at this trip. He ran a good 2nd to Heat Yegam last start when he had to overcome the widest draw to get on the pace. He has the inside today and should make the most of it. (7) DOCTOR FASHION drops back in trip following an all the way win over 1400M last start and he along with (11) MINYEOBONG look set to be the main dangers. Minyeobong beat Doctor Fashion when the pair met two starts back before coming from midfield to score at this distance in April. The pair of them get plenty of weight from the favourite. (6) YEONGGWANGUI TIME has the fastest time of any of these over the distance to his name and should be a threat too while (12) MR. HANSEN, who returns for the first time since January and trialed up very nicely last month, provides some each-way value.
|Selections||(1) Great Boss (11) Minyeobong (7) Doctor Fashion (12) Mr. Hansen|
|Next Best||6, 8|
|Fast Start||7, 8, 10, 14|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
(13) WONDERFUL JOY comes in having won his latest two, both of them at this distance. The times haven’t been that quick but he’s done what he’s needed to and with his running style, the wide draw won’t be a problem here. (11) BRAVO MAY joins Wonderful Joy up in class having come from off the pace to win at 1300M on April 24th. That win had been coming and he should be competitive at this level. (3) WILD KINGDOM beat a couple of these on his way to a decent enough 5th place at this class over 1300M last month. He has gone well at this distance too and should be aiming for the places here. (1) KING KANMOREU can have a line drawn through his latest start when he was never a factor from a wide draw. Getting the inside, he can be much better today. (9) S TAKE the best of the rest.
|Selections||(13) Wonderful Joy (11) Bravo May (1) King Kanmoreu (3) Wild Kingdom|
|Next Best||9, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 7, 9|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
(3) ALPHA AGAIN won three in a row between November and February before weakening badly when tried at a mile in March. He dropped back to today’s distance on his latest start and ran a solid 3rd behind the very good My Queen and Mighty Power. He draws well to lead early and could well go all the way. He won’t be favourite though. That will be (11) GOLDEN BYEORAK who, having won a trial, was successful on debut over 1200M. He came out of the same wide gate as he does today but was quickly close to the pace and ran on to win with ease. The additional furlong should be no problem at all and it would be no surprise if he maintained his 100% record here. (5) NEWS MAKER drops back in trip and into contention after some decent performances at further while (9) FREEDOM KNIGHT is yet to win but has come close in his four starts so far and should be competitive coming from off the pace. (8) POKPUNG EONDEOK has already won at class and distance and is another to take seriously.
|Selections||(3) Alpha Again (11) Golden Byeorak (8) Pokpung Eondeok (5) News Maker|
|Next Best||9, 14|
|Fast Start||3, 11, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
(5) NAMSANUI BYEOL comes in off a good 3rd behind Bolt Man and All That Korea in a fast time on a muddy track on April 4th. That was his best performance so far continuing his upward trajectory and he won’t need to improve by very much to win here. (1) ROYAL ELVIS comes in off two disappointing runs but should get another chance in this company. Both those races were better than this and while for a third time in a row he draws the inside, he could accordingly get a soft lead here and the outcome may end up very different. (4) AMERICAN FORCE ONE has never finished any better than 3rd but he’ll never get a better opportunity than this and the jockey booking certainly catches the eye. (6) MUNHAK FIRE and (9) FEVERDINI the best of an ordinary rest.
|Selections||(5) Namsanui Byeol (1) Royal Elvis (4) American Force One (6) Munhak Fire|
|Next Best||9, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 8|
Busan Race 6: Class 5 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
(5) TWO TWO CARLTON beat plenty of these on his way to victory over 1800M on April 24th and then again when 3rd at today’s distance of a mile just two weeks ago. He’ll sit handy here and has claims again. However, we’re going to go with (10) SEUNGNI TOUT. He ran 4th behind Two Two Carlton in that 1800M race and returns here after four weeks off meeting him again but at better weights. He has the fastest time of any at this distance and while still a maiden, looks the one to beat. (7) NEW LUX tries a mile for the first time after a positive start to his career which has included two victories at shorter distances. His running style is to come from off the pace and the extra distance may suit. (2) DUMUSAN can have his last start disregarded and along with (4) MARK ACE, is worthy of consideration.
|Selections||(10) Seungni Tout (7) New Lux (5) Two Two Carlton (4) Mark Ace|
|Next Best||2, 9|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 10, 11|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
Fillies and mares only here. (7) VICTOR MOON will be hot favourite and for good reason. A strong winner on debut she then ran a good 23nd from a wide draw on her return at the end of March. She’s been off for eight weeks since and has drawn better this time with solid claims to return to winning ways. (10) MIGHTY BOOM broke through at start number five back at the end of February. She’s had almost three months off since then and drops back in trip today, but she has posted good times at this distance too and should be very much in the finish again here. (13) MUNHAK ZENYATTA has drawn in the car park for the second time in a row but has plenty of quality about her and should be in the placing frame. (1) MY MEMBER needs to lead to stand a chance and from the inside gate can do exactly that and go close. (11) SAENAE SUN did nothing wrong when 4th on debut.
|Selections||(7) Victor Moon (10) Mighty Boom (1) My Member (13) Munhak Zenyatta|
|Next Best||11, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6, 7|
Seoul Race 8: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 50 Million
(3) CHARLIE STYLE ran on strong to down (8) MENI HERO and a number of the others here at class and distance on April 18th quite emphatically in the end. He is up in the weights today but draws much better and a repeat can’t be ruled out. He’ll be favourite but we’ll give Meni Hero another chance. He has run some super times and has great consistency. He’ll be in the finish again and while Charlie Style may be the more progressive, can turn it around. (12) FLORIDA POWER was 3rd in that race, continuing a consistent run of form and she should be there or thereabouts again. As for those who don’t come out of the April 18th race, (6) RAON TAP MAN has plenty of upside. He has run consistently fast times and comes in having run a strong 3rd at this distance on his first attempt at class 2 level. If he can get to the lead early, he could go all the way.
|Selections||(8) Meni Hero (3) Charlie Style (6) Raon Tap Man (12) Florida Power|
|Next Best||7, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 6, 10, 11|