There are behind closed doors meetings on Saturday at both Seoul (8 races from 11:00 to 18:00) and Busan (6 races from 11:30 to 16:50). The only betting locations open in Korea are those in Jeju, Daegu, Gwangju, Changwon and Cheonan where advance reservations through the MyCard app must be made.
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Three-year-old fillies go around in the opener. (1) BURUI YEOWANG was a smart winner on debut, always prominent over 1200M in a fair time on a wet track. For her return she drops back in trip but has drawn nicely on the inside and has solid claims to get on top early and maintain her 100% record. She’ll be the hot favourite. Of the others who have raced before, (11) MAGIC TIDE looks the most promising having run a pleasing 3rd in a decent time at this distance on debut before being 6th when stepped up to 1200M on re-appearance. She can settle just off the pace and run on. The main dangers are the first-time starters though with more than one catching the eye in trials. (6) JUNGCHUBUSA went through a couple of heats and while she was pretty ordinary in the first of them, looked much more assured when crossing the line 1st in the most recent of those in April. (12) SOEWAKKOT posted a god time when trialing up in 2nd place with the first horse over the line in that heat having debuted creditably last week while (8) SOBERANIA is another who will be expected to go well first-up.
|Selections||(1) Burui Yeowang (6) Jungchubusa (11) Magic Tide (12) Soewakkot|
|Next Best||8, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 8, 12|
Busan Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
All but one of these races for the very first time. The one with experience, (7) MAGIC HILL, did ok on debut, leading for part of the race before weakening over 1200M. She’s down in trip, down in the weights and should have come on for the experience which puts her right in the mix here. As for the newcomers, nothing really pulled up trees in its trial. (11) BABEL LILAC recorded the fastest time which will be enough to see her fancied by plenty but it was a fast heat on a quick track. (2) LUCKY RUN was the one who probably emerged with most credit from her heat, battling on well for a competent 4th in a solid if unspectacular time. She draws well and looks a danger. (10) ECOPIA was on pace quickly in her trial and finished off well in the leading group. She draws wide but with a good start again, should be a factor. (3) RAY VICTOR perhaps best of the rest.
|Selections||(7) Magic Hill (2) Lucky Run (11) Babel Lilac (10) Ecopia|
|Next Best||3, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 7, 10|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Maidens go around here. (1) BEOWULF has made enough progress across two trials and then his 3rd place on debut to warrant favourite status. He sat midfield and then ran on well and with the inside gate today to his benefit, if he continues on the same trajectory he has followed so far, then he can win. (12) USEUNG HWANHUI seems to be figuring things out with two 3rd place finishes from her latest three starts. Both those came at 1400M so she is back in trip today but she does have the fastest time of any of these at today’s distance and while she has drawn inconveniently, she can go close. Also back in trip is (6) SEMYEONG CAPTAIN, who showed considerable improvement to place 2nd at this latest start. He has tended to get quite far back in his races but if Park Eul-woon can get him a bit closer a bit earlier, he has claims. (7) GUK HYANG and (11) RETURN BALLY BRAE are others with placing hopes.
|Selections||(1) Beowulf (12) Useung Hwanhui (6) Semyeong Captain (7) Guk Hyang|
|Next Best||11, 4|
|Fast Start||4, 9, 10, 12|
Busan Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 22 Million
Two last start winners go head to head here and both of them did absolutely nothing on their respective debuts before coming out to win second-up. (4) ALIVE STAR is slightly favoured. His debut was back in December and he subsequently went through two trials before coming back to score a really good win just twelve days ago on April 25th. He looked to be getting stronger as the race progressed and can strike again here while the iron is hot. (6) BUSANHANG GALMAEGI clung on for a gutsy all the way win over 1400M on March 6th. The Alternation colt had previously weakened on debut over this distance but has clearly come on plenty since then. He’ll probably lead again and Alive Star will be forced to try and come past him. (2) GWANGDAESEUNGCHEON showed signs of improvement when beating a couple of these on his way to 4th place a month ago and he can build on that here. (11) SEOBU QUEEN has been consistent across her four starts so far with three 3rd place finishes and she should be there of thereabouts again while (13) CHEONGMA HWANGHU has also hinted at ability.
|Selections||(4) Alive Star (6) Busanhang Galmaegi (11) Seobu Queen (13) Cheongma Hwanghu|
|Next Best||2, 9|
|Fast Start||4, 9, 10, 13|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 22 Million
(5) SILVER DRAGON returned from eight months out to run a good 2nd on March 28th at this distance coming from well back to flash home. Ueda Masashi keeps the ride and they can go one better today. The main danger and possible betting favourite is (7) ROSEDAY MARINE. She has been relatively consistent across her five outings so far culminating in 2nd place at this distance on April 4th. She’ll be ridden relatively close to the pace and will surely be in the mix at the finish. (3) RAON THE TIGER drops back in trip after a couple of spins around 1400M with mixed results. He’s drawn well to get on pace here and can stick around to contest at least the places. The only previous winner in the field is (6) LEROY BLANC, who scored over 1400M two starts back. He didn’t so much on reappearance but is worth consideration in what isn’t a strong race. (8) OFFICER COMMANDING another in the hunt.
|Selections||(5) Silver Dragon (7) Roseday Marine (6) Leroy Blanc (3) Raon The Tiger|
|Next Best||8, 9|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 7, 13|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
Fillies and mares only here. (9) SAGARMATHA is a winner of two from four so far, finishing 3rd in the other two. She’s one of four up in class following last start wins but looks best equipped to deal with the step up. She is a front runner, who should be on pace from the start and can go all the way. (4) MASTER QUEEN ran 2nd to Sagarmatha in February before registering a maiden win of her own three weeks ago. She too is a natural leader and she has the better of the draw suggesting she may be able to cause the favourite some problems. (12) MORNING THUNDER hasn’t raced since winning at class 6 last July. Obviously she’ll need this run but she looked good when putting in a fast time in a trial two weeks ago and could surprise on debut. (5) DALLAE has the fastest time of any of these at the distance and is sure to be in the finish again while (7) GREAT GO remains a maiden but is rarely far away and can be considered fort a place once more.
|Selections||(9) Sagarmatha (4) Master Queen (5) Dallae (12) Morning Thunder|
|Next Best||7, 3|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
Tricky race this. (1) SEO E BEONJJEOK steps up to 1400M for the first time after two wins and a runner-up finish from his latest three. His running style coupled with the way he has been finishing off his races suggests that the slight increase in trip won’t be a problem and he looks to be the one to beat again. Two starts back Seo E Beonjjeok ran 2nd with (8) ULTRA KING in 3rd place over 1300M. The latter went on to win next start at today’s distance and while he steps up in class this time, has to be considered a contender again. He will aim to be on the pace from the start. (12) DAEHAN JILJU may still be a maiden but he has never finished any worse than 3rd in four outings to date. He ran 2nd to Royal Road at this distance on his latest outing and looks good to maintain that record today. (7) NINE EYE come sin off consecutive runner-up finishes and along with (6) STAR WARS is another in the frame for at least a place.
|Selections||(1) Seo E Beonjjeok (8) Ultra King (12) Daehan Jilju (6) Star Wars|
|Next Best||7, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 10, 12|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
(5) PINEUI KKUM has been a revelation of late taking ten goes to get his maiden win but now boasting three from his latest five. Tactically versatile, he has won from the front and by closing. He is up in class but down in weight and is well drawn for Jeong Dong-cheol to take his pick strategy wise. We’re going to take him on though and there is more than one option. (13) MAGIC PARTNER has finished no worse than 4th in seven starts to date. He has the fastest time of any of these at this distance and ran a strong 3rd over a mile when first-up after dour months off in March. He looks a real danger. If the wide draw is a concern, then (2) TOP OF KOREA is a chance too. He has won three from five and while he is up in class and distance today, he has a top jockey, a light weight and a great draw. (8) SMART MOD and (11) ONE PICK are others in at least the placing frame in what looks a really good race.
|Selections||(13) Magic Partner (5) Pineui Kkum (2) Top Of Korea (8) Smart Mod|
|Next Best||11, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 7, 12|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
Disregard the latest effort of (2) PARK WIN when he led early before weakening over 1700M. Today’s distance should suit much better and he can pick up from where he left off in one-turn races. Although he has won coming from behind, the draw means he might as well get on pace early and win the simple way. It won’t be easy though. (3) CHOEGO CAMP has won at this trip already and comes in off two solid class and distance performances. He will be prominent throughout and will be in the mix at the finish. (6) CHEON GONG and (7) HOEDURYEONG are both up in class after last start victories at 1200M and 1300M respectively. Both should be competitive here and the latter especially has a nice turn of foot about him. (12) WONDERFUL MAGIC, up in class today, is another who can at least place.
|Selections||(2) Park Win (3) Choego Camp (7) Hoeduryeong (12) Wonderful Magic|
|Next Best||6, 9|
|Fast Start||3, 9, 10, 12|
Busan Race 5: Class 5 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 28 Million
Wide open race in which a case can be made for the majority of the field. We’ll side with Franco Da Silva on (9) ALIVE CAPTAIN. True he is up in class and his time when 2nd on his first try at this distance on April 18th shouldn’t be competitive here, but that was a slow run race, he comes down in the weights here and he looks to have potential for much more. (2) TWO TWO CARLTON was a somewhat unexpected winner over 1800M two weeks ago. He gets penalized weight-wise for that but drops back in trip and should be dangerous again. (8) GEUMA GOOD POINT is a winner at this distance and has run a fast time too. He was beaten last start by, among others (12) MAGIC HORSE but has shown decent consistency and will surely be involved at the business end of the race. Magic Horse too can go well with (6) TOP BEST another in the hunt.
|Selections||(9) Alice Captain (8) Geuma Good Point (2) Two Two Carlton (6) Top Best|
|Next Best||12, 13|
|Fast Start||6, 8, 9, 13|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 35 Million
Fillies and mares only here. It took (7) GLOBAL SUN eight attempts to get his maiden win but she evidently enjoyed it as she has followed up twice more to make it three in a row. Could it be four here? She hasn’t looked a superstar in the making in those three wins but he has done enough and while up in class, she comes down in the weights, draws nicely in the middle and doesn’t really face very intimidating opposition. She is the one to beat. (6) NUNBUSIN HANSEN comes in off a good 3rd last start when she beat three of her rivals here. That was first-up following four months out and she can build on it today. (2) RAON WILLIAMS is inconsistent but is capable of putting on solid performances on her day. (11) YEOGEOL VISION and (13) MONEY SIJANG are others who should compete for places.
|Selections||(7) Global Sun (6) Nunbusin Hansen (2) Raon Williams (11) Yeogeol Vision|
|Next Best||13, 3|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 6, 13|
Busan Race 6: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
(8) MALIBU BYEOL scored a narrow class and distance victory on April 10th beating three of these in the process. He also has the fastest time for the distance which he recorded two starts back. He goes up in the weights today but he will sit midfield and then run on strong with every chance of winning again. (9) JANGSAN DOKKI tries the distance for the first time having been a beaten favourite over a mile at his latest start. He’s recorded good times at the shorter distance and the Lookin At Lucky gelding may well find that two turns suits. (1) GEUMA MYSTIC is another stepping up to this distance for the first time having met with plenty of success at shorter. He is very nicely weighted and should be in the mix. Also nicely weighted is (3) MAN OF TOP, who enters off a 2nd and a 3rd place at this class and distance and looks a solid place chance once more. The wild card is (10) JEONSEOLUI BOSS, a good winner at this class over a mile three weeks ago and who should also take to the distance without too many issues.
|Selections||(9) Jangsan Dokki (1) Geuma Mystic (8) Malibu Byeol (3) Man Of Top|
|Next Best||10, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 35 Million
(4) HEUNGWA GIPPEUM has an inconsistent record but was really good when beating the promising Black Musk to score his maiden win at start number seven on March 28th in an extremely fast time. He steps up in trip to two turns for the first time but could well have enough in him to win again. (7) TOP SEED enters off solid front-running win at this distance on April 4th, his second win in a row. He steps up in class today but gets a couple of kilos taken off his back as a result and looks nicely in to go close once more. (1) DADDY KHOZAN remains winless after seven tries but has been very consistent and steps up in trip following a two solid runner-up finishes and looks at least a place chance. (2) J. S. GUNJU and (11) LUCKY HOON are others who can be involved at the business end of the race.
|Selections||(4) Heungwa Gippeum (7) Top Seed (1) Daddy Khozan (11) Lucky Hoon|
|Next Best||2, 8|
|Fast Start||6, 7, 9, 10|
Seoul Race 8: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
(7) HAEDEULMOE ran 2nd – admittedly a very distance 2nd – to the excellent Carving Cross on a soaking wet track on April 3rd, beating a number of these in the process. He can be inconsistent but has a solid record at this distance and has every chance of scoring here. That April 3rd race was a bit all over the place. Disregard (2) GEUMA ACME’s performance in it as he lost a load of ground early on colliding into the back of another horse. Instead go on his class and distance win in February when he overcame a wide draw to beat several of these. He goes close. That day was even worse for (13) SLING STONE who got squeezed on the first turn and parted company with his rider. He went on to complete the course under his own steam. Previously 2md to Geuma Acme, Moon Se Young climbs aboard today and he has claims. (4) SPEED HWANGNYONG and (5) CHEON GOE SEONG, both of whom also come out of that April 3rd race and who also had excuses that day, are others to consider for places.
|Selections||(2) Geuma Acme (7) Haedeulmoe (13) Sling Stone (4) Speed Hwangnyong|
|Next Best||5, 11|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 9, 14|