Saturday’s racing is at Busan with 10 races from 13:30 to 18:00. The Busan Racecourse as well as all betting locations sought of (and including) Cheonan will be open at 20% capacity (pre-booking required using the My Card app). Locations in the Greater Seoul and Gyeonggi areas remain closed. Here are the Busan previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
A filly maiden to kick things off and quite a tricky one at that. Peter Wolsley sends out a couple of decent looking ones and (13) GOLD LUCK is the preferred pick. She has improved across three starts so far culminating in a runner-up finish last time out in a similar race over this trip. The draw isn’t ideal but Perovic climbs aboard and she can win. The other Wolsley entrant is (4) ARTIE’S GAL After winning a trial she was a solid 3rd on debut last November before having a tough time on reappearance in January. We’ll give her another chance today. In that race in January, Artie’s Gal was beaten by (11) STARLIGHT. The latter filly was debuting and ran a very good 4th over the 1000M. She was on pace and should overcome gate 11 to get on the speed again here. (10) USEUNG GANGJA debuted in 5th place in the same race and has claims for improvement too while (12) HANHYEOLMA is a bit more experienced and while beaten by Gold Luck last start, has proven competitive in this kind of company.
|Selections||(13) Gold Luck (4) Artie’s Gal (11) Starlight (12) Hanhyeolma|
|Next Best||10, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 10, 11|
Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
More maidens here and two of them come in having put in strong runner-up finishes on their respective debuts. (7) COOL GUY is our pick, the Bart Rice trainee having been a front-running 2nd over 1000M on January 29th. That followed on from a similarly fast trial and he can make the breakthrough today. (11) DOCTOR FAPPIANO came from the middle of the pack to run on strong for 2nd also over the minimum distance on her own January debut. The additional furlong should suit and she is a real danger. (13) FIRST CHANCE beat a few of these on his way to 3rd place on debut two months ago and he too has the ability to build on that here. (2) WONDERFUL JAZZ and (5) GIANT CAL are others who also put in encouraging debuts and can be involved in the finish.
|Selections||(7) Cool Guy (11) Doctor Fappiano (13) First Chance (2) Wonderful Jazz|
|Next Best||5, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 11, 13|
Race 3: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(4) BEAUTIFUL KING was an impressive winner at start number three making all to score by four lengths over 1200M. He is up in trip here and is likely to be a strong favourite to win again. We’re going to take a chance and take him on though. (5) RAON THE BOSS beat three of these on his way to a much improved 3rd at this distance on January 29th. True the time wasn’t exactly fast but he looks to have potential for more and the experience may stand him in good stead here. (7) SUNLIGHT BOY and (6) GANGJAUICHEONGCHUN came home 4th and 5th respectively behind Raon The Boss in that race and both should be in the placing frame again here. (3) B.J. KING was a winner two starts back over 1200M and while he was well back behind Raon The Boss last start, can be given another chance here.
|Selections||(5) Raon The Boss (4) Beautiful King (7) Sunlight Boy (3) B. J. King|
|Next Best||6, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 7, 8|
Race 4: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 32 Million
This filly and mare affair is far too strong for class 5. After running 2nd on debut, (5) GODDESS MOON has won three in a row scarcely being behind another horse. She finally has to come up in class today but that shouldn’t be an issue and she can win again. Also up in class is (2) NEW LUX. She’s won two of three so far, running on strong from off the pace each time, beating Gold Luck, who we saw in race 1, in her latest. The step up in trip is set to suit and she is a big danger. Those two look set to fight out the quinella but there is a good deal of other talent here. (14) GREY ANGEL won her first two starts in fine form and while she only managed 6th in a decent race on reappearance in January can be competitive here on her first try at the distance. (11) RAON THE STAR remains a maiden but has never been worse than 5th in four outings to date. She got within less than three-lengths of Goddess Moon when 2nd last start and can go close again.
|Selections||(5) Goddess Moon (2) New Lux (14) Grey Angel (11) Raon The Star|
|Next Best||10, 3|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 12|
Race 5: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
(4) YEONGUNG LOUIS was a fine winner on debut at this trip before running a good 2nd when stepped up to a mile on reappearance. The Violence colt is well drawn to get on the early speed and looks very hard to beat here. (12) GLOBAL TOP was a last start class and distance winner, beating three of these in the process. She likes to be close to the pace so will need to work to overcome the wide draw but she should go close again here. (6) ROYAL TICKET had a poor day at the office behind Global Top last start but is also a class and distance winner and has the fastest time of any of these to his name. Don’t rule out. (5) SMART MOD began his career with a bang but while he hasn’t quite managed to maintain his early momentum, he looks to be on the right track again following a strong class and distance 3rd in February.
|Selections||(4) Yeongung Louis (12) Global Top (5) Smart Mod (6) Royal Ticket|
|Next Best||2, 9|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4, 8|
Race 6: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 32 Million
(8) RAON THE POWER steps up in class with a 100% record to defend and while it marks his first try at further than five-furlongs, he looks to have every chance of being successful. He’ll be on pace from the start and can go all the way. This is a stiff assignment though. (13) DOCTOR FASHION is yet to run worse than 3rd in three outings to date including a win. He races here for the first time since last August but made all to win a trial in a fast time at the end of February and comes straight into contention here. (12) MINYEOBONG was a class and distance winner in December and followed up with a runner-up finish a month ago. The draw won’t be a problem and she is in at least the placing frame here. (1) TOP OF KOREA and (4) B.K. POWER both get a pass after lackluster latest efforts and can go better today.
|Selections||(8) Raon The Power (13) Doctor Fashion (12) Minyeobong (1) Top Of Korea|
|Next Best||4, 10|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 8, 13|
Race 7: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
Since resuming last October, (14) COPY THAT has been in super form with two wins and two runner-up finishes. The draw is somewhat awkward today but he doesn’t necessarily need to lead and if Seo Seung-un can find a nice position then he could well be too strong in the home straight. (8) TWO TWO WILD THING is a model of consistency having never run worse than 4th from eight starts. He has won at this distance and comes in here under a very light weight with solid claims again. Those two are the leading hopes but others are capable of running a good race too. (1) YESULUI GYEUNGJI can be inconsistent but has ability and should be better dropped back in trip today while (11) GOOD THUNDER and (12) MR. FUSION are others in at least the placing frame.
|Selections||(14) Copy That (8) Two Two Wild Thing (12) Mr. Fusion (11) Good Thunder|
|Next Best||1, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 8, 10|
Race 8: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 50 Million
A lot of these seem to have found their level at class 3 so it’s a question of which one can take the step forward. Accordingly, almost any of the eleven could win this. Both (3) POWER TRAIN and (5) TRUE VALOR have won at today’s distance before and that fact alone could put them at the top of the betting market. Both come in off solid recent performances in tricky company and have claims here. We will side with True Valor to come out on top. (1) POWER WONDERFUL had a tough time on his first try at this distance last start but should have come on for the experience and can improve today. Sticking with the “power” theme, (11) SEONGSAN POWER doesn’t win out of turn but loves to come 2nd (seven times to the one win), She finished in that position at class and distance just two weeks ago and is in the placing frame here. (4) MISS FACT and (10) DOCTOR SKY others in the hunt.
|Selections||(5) True Valor (3) Power Train (11) Seongsan Power (1) Power Wonderful|
|Next Best||10, 4, 9|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 5, 6|
Race 9: Class 3 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 50 Million
(11) BARBARIAN comes in looking for a hat-trick of wins having been successful at 1200M and 1400M in his latest two outings. He doesn’t need to leas so the outside gate shouldn’t be much of a problem and it looks as though there are more wins still in the tank. (1) YEONGGWANGUI SIDAE does hold a win over Barbarian although the favourite has beaten her twice since that race last August. She is inconsistent but goes well on her day and could get close. (4) SYDNEY MANGCHI on the other hand rarely runs a bad race and while he is another who has been beaten by Barbarian in recent starts, he is nicely drawn to get to his favoured front-running position and should be involved at the business end of the race. (8) WORLD TOP drops back in trip after three goes around 1800M and comes straight into contention while (10) NANGMAN JEONSA looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(11) Barbarian (1) Yeonggwangui Sidae (4) Sydney Mangchi (8) World Top|
|Next Best||10, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 8, 11|
Race 10: Class 1 (2000M) Handicap / KRW 70 Million
(9) GREAT KING’s class saw him to victory over five of these at 1800M on January 8th. He got up to deny (4) JUMBO BLADE by a head on the line with the pair of them four-lengths clear of the rest of the field. Great King of course has claims again but Jumbo Blade comes down 2kg today and that may be enough to see him home on top at the 2000M today. (5) ROCK CHOICE came home 3rd in that race having previously beaten a similar set of horses at this class over 1800M in December. He came through a trial in fine order at the end of February and looks beautifully weighted under just 52kg here. He has serious claims. So too does (12) PRO CONSUL. He races for the first time since running 2nd to Rock Choice in December and will be expected to be on the early speed. Like Rock Choice, he carries a very light weight and this could be his day. (1) NEW YORK MANGCHI is among several others with place chances in what should be a very fun finale.
|Selections||(12) Pro Consul (4) Jumbo Blade (5) Rock Choice (9) Great King|
|Next Best||1, 3, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 8, 9, 12|