Sunday’s racing is at Seoul with 15 races from 10:45 to 18:00. Seoul Racecourse and all off-track betting centres in the Greater Seoul area remain closed to customers, however, Busan Racecourse and Jeju Racecourse may admit customers along with off-course betting locations in Busan, Changwon, Daegu, Gwangju, Daejeon and Cheonan. Attendance at these locations is capped at 20% of indoor seated capacity and must be booked in advance using the “MyCard” app. Here are the Seoul previews
Race 1: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
A maiden for fillies only to kick off with and it’s a competitive one. We going to focus on the ones with least experience, kicking off with (2) WONDERFUL MUSKET. She was a trial winner in November and then came from off the pace on debut to finish a good 5th over 1200M. She should have come on for that run and from gate 2m Johan Victoire may be able to get her closer to the action early on here and she has good claims. So too does (5) LEGEND STAR. She ran on strong for 3rd over 1000M on her debut on January 15th and the additional furlong today should help her a lot. Finishing 4th in that same race was (7) GOLDEN CHANCE. She was on pace throughout that day and should be again. There are three first-time starters among them. (1) DOUBLE TAKE looked very competent when 2nd in a well-run trial a month ago and the Take Charge Indy filly goes straight into contention here. Jockey Moon Se Young getting on a debut-maker is always going to attract attention and (12) GREEN FEELSTAR also showed promise in her trial and could go well first-up.
|Selections||(2) Wonderful Musket (5) Legend Star (1) Double Take (12) Green Feelstar|
|Next Best||7, 13|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 10, 13|
Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
A weak maiden here. Going purely on times at the distance (2) DASI DUSON comes out on top. There are other things to like about her too – she is a front-runner and having drawn gate 2, she should get a lead and the trainer/jockey combination gives plenty of confidence too. She will be there or thereabouts. (10) CHEONGSU RIDER offered nothing in four starts last year. However, she won a trial only last week in fine style and so long as she didn’t leave her race on the track there, can go well. (11) GEUMA MAJESTY has hinted at ability across ten starts so far and he too looked well when trialing last week and should be challenging for at least a place. For the win though, we are going to side with a newcomer. That’s (9) DONGJIN CHOEGANG. She ran very competently for 3rd and a good time in a trial a month ago and could have come on just right to debut here under Park Tae-jong.
|Selections||(9) Dongjin Choegang (2) Dasi Duson (10) Cheongsu Rider (11) Geuma Majesty|
|Next Best||4, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 9|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Maiden fillies here. (12) COMPLETE STAR has finished as runner-up on both her starts so far at 1200M and 1300M respectively. She showed a nice turn of foot in her latest and while the distance and the draw may both pose questions, she could well overcome them. (7) GEOLJAK WOMAN shouldn’t have a problem with either draw or distance. She has a good finish on her and will be involved at the business end of the race. She will dispute favourite status with Complete Star. (8) A ONE QUEEN has a 4th and a 3rd from two outings so far, both of them over the 1200M. She should be on or close to the pace early and has claims too. (14) THE QUEEN JUSTICE parted company with her jockey early on what was to be her third start in January before completing the course herself. She came away unscathed and while the barrier does her no favours, she looks to be in the hunt as well.
|Selections||(7) Geoljak Woman (8) A One Queen (12) Complete Star (14) The Queen Justice|
|Next Best||9, 2|
|Fast Start||4, 8, 12, 14|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
A little bit more clear cut this one as (14) K N LIGHT will start a strong favourite. He ran out a good winner over the distance on January 15th and carrying the same weight today should really win again. The gate is not ideal but he is not a front-runner anyway and it shouldn’t matter. (7) EOSEOWA has shown improvement across three starts so far culminating in a 3rd place at the distance last time out. He can build on that a be a threat today. So too can (1) ASTRO. It’s been a full fifteen months since he last raced – poorly – but he has trialed up sporadically over the last year or so and on the basis of the latest of them in January, seems to be getting the hang of things. He’s been gelded and a much better performance from him this time around is possible. (6) CHEONGSAN GASE and (11) WONDERFUL MAMBO are others in the placing hunt.
|Selections||(14) K N Light (1) Astro (7) Eoseowa (6) Cheongsan Gase|
|Next Best||11, 5|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 8, 11|
Race 5: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
It’s hard to look too far beyond (4) CHOEGANG GAME here. Having won a trial, the Purge colt emerged from a handy positon to comfortably score over 1300M on debut on January 15th with a couple of his rivals here behind him. He steps up slightly in trip but should have too much and he will accordingly be a hot favourite. He is the only previous winner in the field but both (12) ROAD ROSE and (14) GLOBAL YEONGUNG have been knocking on the door. Both come in following last start runner-up finishes. Both can overcome the wide draws and aim for placing finishes here. (7) VYING BLADE comes in having run 3rd behind Choegang Game last time out. He should be close to the pace and can be competitive again (8) HAPPY MONTH is another in the hunt.
|Selections||(4) Choegang Game (12) Road Rose (7) Vying Blade (14) Global Yeongung|
|Next Best||8, 2|
|Fast Start||7, 8, 11, 12|
Race 6: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
All of these are maidens and (4) MAD BLADE has the best chance of changing that status. He led for much of the way around at start number four on January 15th over 1200M ultimately finishing in 2nd place. It’s fair to say that he hasn’t shown much in the way of speed just yet but the extra furlong may suit and he can make his breakthrough here. The big danger is (9) JEONGMUN JJANG. The Hansen colt produced a significantly improved performance last start over 1300M running 2nd to Choegang Game. He’ll be challenging for the lead again and can upset the favourite at his best. It would be a surprise if those two don’t fill out the quinella but (13) CUPID KOREA and (1) OKCHUMA have both put in some credible performances and should be in the hunt for some minor money. (7) GONGJAK WANG is another who has hinted at some ability and can challenge for a place.
|Selections||(4) Mad Blade (9) Jeongmun Jjang (7) Gongjak Wang (1) Okchuma|
|Next Best||13, 8|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 9|
Race 7: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 32 Million
(3) JEDI is yet to finish any worse than 3rd in five starts to date. That includes a 3rd place behind Heungbaragi in Seoul’s top juvenile race last November and she is one of the most promising three-year-old fillies in the capital. She races at 1400M for the first time today although having run 2nd at 1700M last time, the distance is hardly a concern. Her main danger is in the adjoining gate. (4) STAR BLADE comes in having won his latest two in fine fashion, the latter a nearly wire to wire score at this distance. He is up in class today and this is stiffer but he looks to have plenty more in the tank as well. (9) WHITE CHARM ran 5th, not too far adrift of Jedi in the Heungbaragi race last November and has since followed up with a 3rd place beating three of these in the process over 1200M. He steps up to the seven-furlongs for the first time and he should be running on strong late. (7) HARUON needs a line drawn through his latest and he can come into contention while (8) LUCKY CLUB is another who is better than his most recent appearance suggests.
|Selections||(3) Jedi (4) Star Blade (9) White Charm (7) Haruon|
|Next Best||8, 12|
|Fast Start||3, 8, 9, 11, 13|
Race 8: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 32 Million
Fillies and mares only here and it’s a wide open race. (11) LUCKY SMILE beat four of these on January 15th when running 2nd over this distance. She is a come from behind type so the draw shouldn’t be an issue and if Lee Hyeok can have her in touch at the top of the straight, she has an excellent chance of finally making the breakthrough at start ten. If she comes up short again then (13) RAPIDO ARES, who beat Lucky Smile last November is the one most likely to take advantage. She is very consistent having never been worse than 4th in five attempts to date and surely goes close again. (1) ALL MY QUEEN came from off the pace to run 3rd behind Lucky Smile in January and has placing claims again while we will draw a line through the latest effort of (2) BEST TIME. She tries the distance for the first time and it may suit. (4) STRONG RED looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(11) Lucky Smile (13) Rapido Ares (1) All My Queen (4) Strong Red|
|Next Best||2, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 6, 10|
Race 9: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
(5) RAON THE FIGHTER is rapidly up in class having led all the way in both starts to date to go two for two. The Bayern colt finds himself in deeper waters today, up in class as well as in trip, but he’s nicely drawn to get to the front and it’s not impossible that he could maintain his 100% record. Main danger and probable favourite is (2) CHOEGANGYEONGCHEON. He is a winner of three from four so far with his only defeat coming in Seoul’s top juvenile race last November. He steps back in trip after a successful spin around 1700M in January and he looks the class of the field here. (6) CHEONJI YEOGEOL has won at this distance before and enters in very solid form. She is likely to challenge the favourite pair for the early lead and should still be around at the business end of the race. (8) SARAMIRANEUNBYEOL and (11) A TO Z are among others with placing claims.
|Selections||(5) Raon The Fighter (2) Choegangyeongcheon (6) Cheonji Yeogeol (8) Saramiraneunbyeol|
|Next Best||11, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 6, 9|
Race 10: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 70 Million
Six of these raced each other over 1800M on January 8th with (13) GANGTOMA picking up the win. By some margin the highest rated in the field, he’ll be in the frame again but the drop in distance leaves the door open for plenty of others. (8) MEDICI GLORY might be worth following here. He’s back to a more preferred distance having won twice at it and registered fast times in the process. He’s under a light weight and he may offer some value. (2) SIMJANGUI GODONG should also be improving on recent starts. He’s drawn well and Moon Se Young back on board should be to his advantage. (5) LIL’ PATRON is another who may appreciate being back in trip. He ran 2nd to Gangtoma in that January race and rarely misses by much. Neither do the two “Munhaks”; (6) MUNHAK TSUNAMI and (11) MUNHAK TIGER. Munhak Tsunami especially should be on pace from the start and can be involved at the business end of what is a really competitive race.
|Selections||(8) Medici Glory (2) Simjangui Godong (13) Gangtoma (5) Lil’ Patron|
|Next Best||6, 11, 12, 14|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 8, 12, 14|
Race 11: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 32 Million
(1) FOX POWER is up in class following two 2nd places and a win at class 6 level. He has made the running in all three of his starts so far and last time out led all the way over 1200M to win by six-lengths. With the inside barrier today he should cruise to the front again and is very much the one to beat. (14) HEUNG DREAM was promoted to this class following a win over 1300M in November. He ran 2nd on his first crack at it in January making his form good enough to be competitive here although he will have to overcome the outside gate. We’ll draw a line through the latest start of (7) P.K. DOLPUNG when he was slow away and scarcely a factor. His prior form was good though and if he can get away well then he should be a factor. (8) M J BEST was a good winner on debut over 1000M but weakened out of the picture late on when stepped up to 1400M on his reappearance. At a furlong less today he can go better. It’s a very similar story with (10) RAON PINK. He was also a strong debut winner at 1000M before running 6th over 1400M. For his third race they split the difference in terms of distance and he can challenge for some minor money at least.
|Selections||(1) Fox Power (14) Heung Dream (7) P.K. Dolpung (10) Raon Pink|
|Next Best||8, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 14|
Race 12: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
(6) WILDLY ROMANTIC is two for two and is a good thing to maintain his 100% record here. He’s won both his starts in style and has beaten plenty of today’s rivals along the way. From a good draw, the Bayern colt should lead all the way. (14) ARFONS registered a solid win on his last start back in October. He was on pace despite being wide that day and went through a trial in good form just last week. The outside draw isn’t ideal but he should be in the finish. (7) DUSON JANGGUN didn’t go especially well over 1400M on his latest outing but the time before he ran a good second to Wildly Romantic and back at 1200M today, comes into the reckoning on the basis of that. (12) MOONHAK SHEBA was a very solid 4th on debut two months ago. The Blame colt was well back behind the winner but did enough to suggest he has talent and we’ll look for him to match or better that today. (9) MJ POINT, 3rd to Wildly Romantic on what was for him too, a second career start, is another in the frame.
|Selections||(6) Wildly Romantic (14) Arfons (7) Duson Janggun (12) Moonhak Sheba|
|Next Best||9, 13|
|Fast Start||2, 6, 9|
Race 13: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 50 Million
(13) CHARLIE STYLE has won his latest two including a solid victory over no fewer than five of today’s rivals on January 15th. Despite being drawn wide and up slightly in weight, he picks himself here to complete a hat-trick. (4) GEUMJAYU ran 2nd in that race, an uptick in form and can be considered for a place again as can (6) PANAROMA VIEW who was further back still but looks to have more development in him. A more dangerous contender though could be (2) CUPID MISSION. He has mixed his form but a last start 2nd in this class is enough to suggest that with today’s draw he will be competitive. (5) BYEOLNARA SINSA gets a fresh start today back in trip and with Moon Se Young aboard and should improve on his latest two efforts.
|Selections||(13) Charlie Style (2) Cupid Mission (4) Geumjayu (5) Byeolnara Sinsa|
|Next Best||6, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 13|
Race 14: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 42 Million
(6) CONSTI SOLO won on his debut all the way back in October of 2019 but had to wait until this January 8th to finally make his reappearance. It was a pretty good one too as he stepped up to two turns to run 2nd over 1700M, beating plenty of these in the process. He led all the way that day and should have come on for that run, making him hard to oppose here. (5) HEUNGROK DAEBU was a last start winner. He came from a handy position just off the pace to score his maiden win at start number five over 1400M on January 15th. This distance may well suit and he has more improvement in him. (8) SAENAE IRENE ran 2nd to Geungrok Daebu in that race. She is yet to win in seven attempts but has been competitive in all her races so far and should keep that record going here. Lightly raced (1) ROYAL TAERI and (2) JEONGMUN ACE are in the minor money hunt.
|Selections||(6) Consti Solo (5) Heungrok Daebu (8) Saenae Irene (1) Royal Taeri|
|Next Best||2, 14|
|Fast Start||5, 8, 10|
Race 15: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 50 Million
(12) HEUNGBARAGI picks himself here. He was the standout juvenile at Seoul last autumn and kicked off his three-year-old campaign with an eased down ten-length win over 1400M at class 4 level in January. Some will have reservations about the trip but he looks the real deal and even if it doesn’t suit, he should still have enough about him to win. (11) MENI SPEED and (14) JANGSAN BADA came home 1st and 2nd respectively when they raced each other at class and distance on January 15th. Meni Speed came from well off the pace to snatch the victory late on while Jangsan Bada was on pace throughout. Both should be in the mix here but Hangsan Bada perhaps has a bit more scope for progress and can overturn that form. (4) HWANGGEUM HAE and (3) ROAN TOUGH MAN finished 3rd and 4th in the same race and both should be in the hunt for at least the places once more.
|Selections||(12) Heungbaragi (14) Jangsan Bada (4) Hwanggeum Hae (11) Meni Speed|
|Next Best||3, 9|
|Fast Start||12, 14|