Blue Chipper will be going around at Busan on Friday but we’re turning our attention to Seoul which will be the location for the international simulcast this week and there are no fewer than 15 races from 10:00 to 17:00. The feature sees what is essentially a Group race run at handicap conditions when Morfhis renews hostilities with Eoma Eoma and Do Kki Blade over 1400M. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Three-year-old maidens here with only four of them having raced before. Of those four, (8) HOLIDAY CHARM ran 2nd on debut over this distance back on November 11th. He registered a creditable time and while it isn’t the most fashionable trainer/jockey combination and perhaps wants a bit further, he is probably worthy of being favourite today. (4) CUPID BULLET ran creditably enough for 5th place on debut at 1200M in December and can improve today while (7) TORUK MAKTO too did nothing wrong on her first try and she should be set to get much closer this time. Of the first timers, the most impressive in trials was (5) CHEONSANGSEONG, who won his heat three weeks ago in the kind of time that if replicated in this kind of race, would usually see him right in the mix. (6) DESK TAP, who came through the same trial, and (9) STAR CRAZY are others who can go well first up.
|Selections||(8) Holiday Charm (4) Cupid Bullet (5) Cheonsangseong (7) Toruk Makto|
|Next Best||6, 9, 3|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 7|
Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
(1) WINNER IS WELL struck on debut in December, coming from midfield to score at this distance in a time faster than any of the others here have achieved. He is a five-year-old so he is making up for lost time and he surely makes the most of getting a free hit in the shape of another crack at class 6 today. As for the rest of them, we’re looking for potential rather than achievement with not a single one of them having finished better than 6th. (4) BEST CHEONSANG led for much of the way around on her debut on December 19th before fading in the closing stages for 6th. She should have come on fitness wise for that run and can get closer today. (13) OLD SPECIAL debuted adequately all the way back last July. He’s not been seen since but trialed up in January looking well and should be a factor first up here. (5) ICE STAR and (6) GLOBAL CHEONSA have both been solid if unspectacular across two starts apiece and solid might be enough to get some money today.
|Selections||(1) Winner Is Well (13) Old Special (4) Best Cheonsang (6) Global Cheonsa|
|Next Best||5, 3|
|Fast Start||4, 13|
Race 3: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
It seems unlikely that this year’s Oaks winner will emerge from this very modest maiden for three-year-old fillies (6) DANCING WITH YOU has shown the most so far, leading for much of the way on debut before finishing 3rd, while racing just off the speed and ending up 4th on her second attempt with both races having been at today’s distance. She has a better draw today and every chance of making the breakthrough. (4) BORAQUEEN has improved across two starts so far, running 5th in her latest having expended up a bit of effort getting to the lead from a wide fate. She too is much better drawn today and can be a danger. Another couple of with seemingly the right trajectory are (2) LUCKY BALLY and (11) DAEJIUI YEOGEOL with both having shown improvement in their respective second outings. (10) K N MENIQUEEN will attract attention as Moon Se Young stays aboard. It is possible that he is simply maintaining relations with a top trainer but while his filly has finished well back in both starts so far, both have been tougher assignments than this and she has the fifth fastest time of the twelve who have raced at the distance already.
|Selections||(6) Dancing With You (4) Boraqueen (10) K N Meniqueen (2) Lucky Bally|
|Next Best||11, 7|
|Fast Start||4, 6|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
All fourteen tackle 1300M for the first time. We do have two last start winners though and it would be no surprise to see them competing for the win here, despite both having drawn wide. (12) HI HI is slightly favoured. A fast trial winner, he ran 3rd on debut before coming from midfield to comfortably score second up over this distance on December 19th in a decent time. A day later (13) STAR WARS made his own breakthrough. He led from gate to wire to win comfortably having run 2nd on debut. Another who improved on his second start is (14) TAP QUALITY. He is yet to win but ran a good 2nd on his latest outing and it was from the same outside gate that he has to deal with today. Plenty of others have hinted at ability too with (1) ADELE NARAE and (10) THE FIGHTING perhaps best placed to compete for the money here.
|Selections||(12) Hi Hi (13) Star Wars (14) Tap Quality (10) The Fighting|
|Next Best||1, 3|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 9, 13|
Race 5: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Fillies only here and (3) CHEONMA TODAY has the opportunity to do something that will hopefully never happen again and that’s win three races in class 6. She has won her latest two in fine fashion by seven and six lengths respectively. She, along with every other runner in the field, steps up to the distance for the first time and there is no reason why it can’t suit. It’s very competitive though. (1) YEONGGWANGUI MISO broke through at start number three on December 20th. She had two 3rd place finishes prior to that and should be on pace from the start here. (9) BLACK ROOKIE was a much improved 2nd on her second start on December 20th, beating a couple of the others who go here in the process. She ran through the line well and may like the additional furlong today. (7) FOREVER ONE and (11) RUBICON also come in off the back of a runner-up finish and have placing claims at least again. There is another previous winner in the field in the shape of (4) QUEEN OF BEST. She scored in a fast time over 1200M in October but was disappointing on her return in December. Up in trip she is worth another chance.
|Selections||(3) Cheonma Today (1) Yeonggwangui Miso (9) Black Rookie (4) Queen Of Best|
|Next Best||7, 11, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 4, 7|
Race 6: Class 5 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 32 Million
Fillies and mares only here. (4) WINNER TEMPLAR is the only previous winner at the distance, something she achieved on her latest start on December 5th. She came from off the pace but won well and there is no real reason why she can’t repeat today. (10) SANTTEUTHANSEUCHIM steps up in trip following a decent 2nd place over 1200M last start. She has been very consistent and the booking of Alan Munro catches the eye. (3) DANGDAE ROYAL drops back in trip today. She is yet to win in ten attempts but has recorded some good times at this distance and can be competitive today. The experienced (1) GLORY VERN doesn’t win out of turn but in this company and at this distance is capable of competing for the minor money. So too is (9) PRIMA NIKE among others.
|Selections||(4) Winner Templar (10) Santteuthanseuchim (3) Dangdae Royal (1) Glory Vern|
|Next Best||9, 14|
|Fast Start||6, 7|
Race 7: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 42 Million
This is a really good race for the level and if it weren’t for the reduced prize money levels over recent months, several would already be up in class. They include (13) CARVING CROSS who has won his latest three in sensational style. They have been at shorter distances but he is a better horse now than he was when he ran 3rd on his previous attempt at this trip last June. The draw is not great and this is a tough test but he can win again. Even worse drawn is (14) BLUE K, who enters chasing a hat-trick of wins. Unlike Carving Cross, both have come at today’s distance. He has led from gate to wire both times so he is perhaps going to need a bit of luck at the start but if he can get in position, he is a big chance. (10) TIZ CITY has the fastest time at this distance and should go close while (4) MANSEOK JIGI’s latest two have been strong as well. (9) JILJUUI KKUM is another who comes in with recent form, especially at today’s trip reading very well. (6) SPEED GO has won both times he has completed the course. We haven’t seen him for a long time but he looked well when winning a trial in October.
|Selections||(13) Carving Cross (14) Blue K (10) Tiz City (4) Manseok Jigi|
|Next Best||6, 9, 2|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 9, 13, 14|
Race 8: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 32 Million
(8) DONGJJOK GLORY and (1) GEUMA KITTEN came home 1st and 2nd with just a length between them at class and distance on December 19th. Both should be there or thereabouts again today and the weight this time has swung very much in Geuma Kittten’s faovur. The form could be overturned with Geuma Kitten set to lead from the start once more. (13) DALRINEUN BITKKAL made his breakthrough at start twelve just before Christmas. That win had been coming and the wide draw shouldn’t cause him any issues as he can finish strongly. (2) FIGHTING NOW and (5) FORT SEUONE both come in off good runs last time and have placing claims again while (6) CHOEGO CAMP can be forgiven his first poor run last time and given another chance today.
|Selections||(1) Geuma Kitten (8) Dongjjok Glory (13) Dalrineun Bitkkal (6) Choego Camp|
|Next Best||2, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6, 8|
Race 9: Class 4 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 42 Million
(14) NAESAENGAE CHOEGO downed (9) LOVELY K by four lengths when winning in a fast time at class and distance on November 1st. However, when the pair met again on December 19th, the form was reversed as they came home 4th and 6th respectively. Naesaengae Choego has plenty of speed about him though and while he has a horrible draw, he could return to winning ways. (10) MOONHAK DREAM could beat them both. A good trial winner in December he came close to making all at class and distance on December 12th. He will be on pace and this could be his day. (12) DUSON MYEONGGUN ran 3rd behind Moonhak Dream in that race and is another for whom a win seems not too far away while (5) SUN BOOM, already a winner at this distance, has the best draw of the likely front runners. Of the two debut-makers, (3) ANOTHER CLASS looks more likely to make an impression first up.
|Selections||(10) Moonhak Dream (14) Naesaenae Choego (5) Sun Boom (9) Lovely K|
|Next Best||12, 3, 1|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 7, 10, 14|
Race 10: Class 4 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 42 Million
(1) ROYAL ELVIS had been heading for a win and it duly arrived at start number six when from a prominent position he pulled away from a field containing five of today’s rivals to win comfortably. Alan Munro stays aboard and he has an excellent chance of backing up with another victory today. The man Munro replaced on Royal Elvis, Park Hyun-woo is aboard the main danger, (13) BOLT MAN. He absolutely flew home to win on debut on December 12th. The wide draw should be no problem and nor should the step up in trip. He will be a big danger late on. (10) SOUL MERIT returns to the track for the first time in over a year. He was an excellent winner the last time we saw him and has kept his eye in with two fast trials during his absence from racing. He looks at least a placing chance first up. (3) PINE TOUCH and (14) ANYANG OXEN are others who shouldn’t be too far away.
|Selections||(1) Royal Elvis (13) Bolt Man (10) Soul Merit (3) Pine Touch|
|Next Best||14, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 11|
Race 11: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 50 Million
Really good race this with any number having strong claims. (13) IRON SOCKS has won both his latest two by leading every step of the way, first at this distance and then at 1700M. He had three of his rivals here back down the track behind him last start and also has the fastest time of any of these at the distance, albeit on a wet track. He has overcome a wide draw both times and can do it again today. He’s the likely favourite. (7) MIGHTY NEW looked sensational when winning his first two starts at 1200M and 1400M respectively. He then suffered a couple of unexpected reverses but he has been consistently quick and the Kiwi-bred can bounce back into form today. (8) CLEAN UP BELLA made all to score at class and distance on December 19th, beating no fewer than four of his rivals here in the process. He’ll have some competition for the early speed this time but if he does take it, he will be hard to get past. (5) NEW MOON WARRIOR ran 3rd to Clean Up Bella in that race. He is very consistent having never been worse than 3rd in seven appearances so far and that’s a record he could well maintain. (4) EMORY SOCKS and (9) FIGHT TODAY are among others who should be noted in an absolutely tremendous clash for class 3.
|Selections||(7) Mighty New (13) Iron Socks (5) New Moon Warrior (8) Clean Up Bella|
|Next Best||9, 4|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13|
Race 12: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 70 Million
Another super race, essentially a Group race under Handicap conditions. (4) EOMA EOMA is the track record at this distance and from an excellent draw today can be making it three wins in a row. Under Moon Se Young he can lead from gate to wire. (13) MORFHIS beat Eoma Eoma to win the SBS Sports Sprint last summer before the tables were turned as both were beaten by East Jet in the Owners Cup, both at 1200M. Today’s distance is probably best for Morfhis but while he will fly home late, it is going to be a very tough ask for him to overturn the track record holder while giving away an 8kg advantage. (10) MIGHTY GO stepped up to 1800M on December 6th and suffered just his second defeat. He has also put in some very fast times at today’s distance and back down in trip he will be a force to be reckoned with. (6) DO KKI BLADE was supposed to challenge Eoma Eoma on December 12th but unfortunately parted company with his jockey as the pair exited the gates and completed the course alone. He probably wouldn’t have won anyway but he can get close today. (5) HAVANA CHARLIE and (14) JJANG KONG, who have run 2nd to Eoma Eoma in the favourites latest two outings are others in the minor money hunt.
|Selections||(4) Eoma Eoma (13) Morfhis (10) Mighty Go (6) Do Kki Blade|
|Next Best||5, 14|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 6, 8, 10|
Race 13: Class 6 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
It’s odd to see a class 6 at this stage in the card but it’s 2021 so anything goes. There is just one previous winner in the field in the shape of (11) FIRE ROAD who has a 3rd and a win from two starts so far. The win was at 1200M but he came from well off the pace to do it so superficially, he may well be suited to a longer distance and given that it is uncharted territory for all of them, he could do it. Plenty of others have hinted at ability. (4) JINTTOBAEGI has mixed his form so far but ran a good 2nd last start. Moon Se-young taking the mount catches the eye and he should go close. (5) POWER MUSIC came close to making all over 1400M last August before ultimately finishing in 2nd place. He is first up today and may need this but can be a factor. (8) HOEDURYEONG has finished no worse than 5th in four outings so far. He hasn’t shown much in the way of speed but that kind of plodding may serve him well around two turns today. (2) ETERNAL MEMORY is another who has passed a few late on over shorter distances and may appreciate the step up.
|Selections||(11) Fire Road (4) Jinttobaegi (5) Power Music (2) Eternal Memory|
|Next Best||8, 1, 10|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 8|
Race 14: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 32 Million
Tricky one. The form is with (9) K N WONDERFUL a last start winner, but it was at class 6 and over 1200M so it’s a very different assignment today but in this company, he ought to be able to go close. In a race with no early speed, he will probably lead. (8) CHEONGSAN GANGHO was a winner two starts back over 1200M coming from well off the pace. He never really got going on his first start at this class in December but looks the type who may appreciate a bit of distance and can improve today. (7) BALBATU too may like two turns. A strong 2nd two starts ago over 1400M, he has a decent finish on him and can pass plenty late on. As for those with prior experience at this distance, the solitary winner is (4) REIGN. She has only raced twice though in the last eighteen months and while she is second-up today, it’s hard to expect too much from her. (10) TRUE TIMBER has the fastest time of those who have raced at the distance and he usually puts in an honest effort so can go close while (11) RAON JAMES should stick to his task and make a challenge at some point too.
|Selections||(7) Balbatu (8) Cheongsan Gangho (9) K N Wonderful (10) True Timber|
|Next Best||4, 11, 3|
|Fast Start||9, 12|
Race 15: Class 3 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 50 Million
(11) ICE PUNCH is a winner of four from seven so far posting some very fast times at 1300M and 1400M in the process. He was out of sorts last time out in December but steps up to two turns for the first time today with Moon Se-young staying aboard and he looks to have good claims here. This is a competitive race though. (7) BEST LUCKY mixes his form but has previously led gate to wire to win at 1700M. He was a good winner at this class at 1400M in December and is very nicely in here. (4) HAEDEULMOE enters in good form and beat four of these on his was to 3rd place at 1400M on December 12th and should go close again while. (9) SLING STONE and (6) RULE BREAKER came home 3rd and 4th respectively in that race. Both are consistent types who can aim to at least place again. The wildcard is perhaps (14) WONDERFUL MARIA. She put in a couple of excellent performances at this class and distance last summer and while she has been underwhelming in two starts this preparation, she could be a different prospect back up at two turns.
|Selections||(11) Ice Punch (7) Best Lucky (14) Wonderful Maria (6) Rule Breaker|
|Next Best||4, 9, 2|
|Fast Start||7, 8, 11|