There are full cards at both Seoul (11 races from 10:45 to 18:00) and Busan (6 races from 12:40 to 17:00) on Sunday. Both meetings are open to the public but advance reservations must be made using the “MyCard” app. Here are previews for both tracks:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Two-year-olds to kick off proceedings with just two runners previously lining up in the race. (11) GUEOKMAAL looks to one to beat based on trial performances. The Officer filly clocked a very quick time in comparison to her opponents here. She showed plenty of speed in her trial, we think she will work forward at all costs and find the fence. (8) GEOSEN DOLPUNG is another that was impressive when winning his trial. The Take Charge Indy colt worked forward with Lee Hyeok asking him to keep his mind on the job at the furlong pole. (7) CHANGI CHARM looks capable of figuring on debut. The filly looks to be best drawn of the pacemakers, she should be able to work across from a central draw early and sit prominent in the run. (9) LAGERTHA looks next best in a race with plenty of unknown factors.
|Selections||(11) Gueokmaal (8) Geosen Dolpung (7) Changi Charm (9) Lagertha|
|Next Best||3, 5|
|Fast Start||7, 8, 11|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
It’s hard to see (1) DDAENGBEOL being beaten here. The Rock Hard Ten colt ran 3rd in what was an admittedly slowly run race on debut back in June but returned to win a trial in a fast time at the end of October. From the inside Antonio Da Silva is unlikely to waste too much time getting to the front and he should win. That’s primarily because the rest aren’t up to much. (8) SEONBONG GOLD ran a semi-creditable time on debut at the distance last month – faster than any of the others have managed – and that’s probably enough to make her second-favourite. (4) GANGHAN YEOJEONSA didn’t show much during the summer season but has at least got a runner-up finish to her name and has placing chances here. Of the two first-timer starters, (10) HAWK QUEEN has the best chance of making an impact first-up.
|Selections||(1) Ddaengbeol (8) Seonbong Gold (10) Hawk Queen (4) Ganghan Yeojeonsa|
|Fast Start||1, 4|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Korean-bred maiden galloper to line up over the 1300m in the third. There is no standout in the race but (10) MIR SKY looks to be one of the main chances on her performances back in July. The Federalist filly comes off successive placings when hitting the line strong on both occasions. She’s unlikely to show early speed but will be doing her best work late. (6) SAND POWER is never too far away and has each way claims in the event. The Rock Hard Ten colt’s most recent run was back in August when fourth behind Korean Pearl in a better field than this. (9) K N WONDERFUL reeled off a good final sectional last time out when finishing second behind Mussang Hwanghu. The gelding is likely to settle well back, Antonio Da Silva cannot let him get too far back otherwise minor money may be best case scenario. If (7) BRAVO MAY can improve on his debut performance, he looks another that is capable of collecting a cheque.
|Selections||(10) Mir Sky (6) Sand Power (9) K N Wonderful (7) Bravo May|
|Next Best||3, 8|
|Fast Start||5, 6|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(11) WILD KINGDOM has shown plenty of speed across his six starts so far. True he has just the solitary win to his name, an all the way emphatic score over 1400M in June, nut there looks to be more to come. Draw a line through his latest 6th place in October. (9) RAPIDO ARES has also caught the eye over her three outings. Her win came at 1200M and she ran on well for 2nd on her first try at this class back in August. She is versatile having performed well when on pace and from when coming from further back and she should go close today. Both (6) CAPTAIN BRAVO and (7) GANA PARK struggled a little on their respective first tries at this class but both have the potential to improve and along with (3) GIVEN RUNNER look the most credible options for the minor money.
|Selections||(11) Wild Kingdom (9) Rapido Ares (6) Captain Bravo (7) Gana Park|
|Next Best||3, 12|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 11|
Seoul Race 5: Class 6 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 25 Million
Another maiden event for the Korean-breds where a compact field of ten line up over the seven furlongs. (4) WHITE WING is the on top selection as she lines up for her second career start. The Concord Point filly overcame a wide draw on debut before sitting midfield, running through the line strong to finish third. With a better draw today, Park Eul-woon can let her find her feet naturally before settling her just of speed. If she finishes off in similar fashion to last start she can take out the event. (3) SHINY QUEEN brings some good formlines into the race finishing third and fourth respectively to Goldilocks and Never Walk Alone. She seems to have improved with a few more starts under her belt, treat her as a winning chance. (6) MENI STORM looks a place chance if she can improve a couple of lengths. The filly ran through the line well last start when she was tried over this distance for the first time. (7) THUNDER WIND looks next best after finishing fourth behind Alchan Nuri last month.
|Selections||(4) White Wing (3) Shiny Queen (6) Meni Storm (7) Thunder Wind|
|Next Best||2, 9|
Busan Race 2: Class 5 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
The Class Five gallopers line up in the fifth event over 1600m. (6) BORNE MATTA comes off a good performance last start when second behind Ultra Phoenix. The Testa Matta showed good early speed before finishing off well over 1400m. You Hyun-myung will partner the four-year-old and is likely to settle him in the forward half of the field. (7) B.K. EUAN is an eleven start maiden but has shown some promising performances. The three-year-old finished fourth three weeks ago behind Speed Kingdom when sitting in the leading division. He will get the claim of Mo Jun-ho once again and should take improvement from the last run. (8) MAGIC HORSE has been thereabouts at her past few starts including a last start fourth behind B.K John over 1400m. She has previously placed over the Busan mile and appears an each-way chance. (2) ACE JILJU lines up for his second-up effort after finishing midfield behind the promising Fantastic Man last time out. His strike rate is poor but if he were to collect a minor cheque it would not surprise.
|Selections||(6) Borne Matta (7) B.K. Euan (8) Magic Horse (2) Ace Jilju|
|Next Best||11, 4|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 7|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1400M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(5) ROCKUI JEWANG beat a couple of these on his way to 4th place at class and distance on October 16th. He came from off the pace to record what was his best finish to date and he looks nicely in here again to this time come out on top. (4) JEOLYE is a proven winner and has posted the fastest time of any of these over this distance. She has mixed her form and has been beaten by a couple of these in recent outings but has some quality about her and should be heavily involved. One of those to have finished ahead of Jeolye is (3) ECHO FIRST ON. She is yet to win in thirteen starts and is another who mixes her form, but she has tended to go well when drawn inside and can get forward early. (8) DOLGYEOK APEURO and (10) ROAD BLACK are others in at least the placing hunt.
|Selections||(5) Rockui Jewang (4) Jeolye (10) Road Black (3) Echo First On|
|Next Best||8, 1|
|Fast Start||3, 5|
Busan Race 3: Class 5 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(1) GEUMA NIPPY obliged at the second time of asking on October 23rd with a front-running win over class and distance. That was during the period of reduced prize money racing so he gets no penalty for it and there is no reason why he can’t repeat today. He’ll be close to the pace from the start and is likely to be the prohibitive favourite. (7) SMART MOD is a locally bred galloper who has won his way up to this level. His first crack at it back in June didn’t go especially well but the extended break may have done him some good. He certainly knows how to win at this distance. That layoff may also have worked out for (10) K.B. BOSS who was losing his way somewhat in the summer. He trialed up very nicely at the beginning of this month and can be given another chance today (although a word of warning – he trialed up well before his last preparation too. Aside from the favourite, it isn’t a daunting race so there could be an opportunity for the solitary debut-maker (5) MR. SSAK THREE to go well first up.
|Selections||(1) Geuma Nippy (5) Mister Ssak Three (7) Smart Mod (10) K.B. Boss|
|Next Best||2, 12|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 7, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 7: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
The seventh is a Class Three to get excited about, with some handy types to battle it out over the 1200m. The progressive (8) CHOEGANG TEAM looks one of the main chances after what he showed us as a two-year-old/early three-year-old. The Old Fashioned colt finished second behind champion two-year-old Roller Blade in the two-year-old features last year before winning a Class Four in good style. The three-year-old has had one run since, lining up in the KRA Cup Mile when never threatening. He was won three from six with two minor placings to his name as well. (7) NIMUI HYANGGI is proven in this class and needs to be treated as an each way prospect. He has placed at his past two starts in this grade. He should be given every chance by David Breux who will work forward on the four-year-old early. (5) YEONHUI ILCHUL is up in grade after a superb performance at each way odds, beating Raon Tap Man. Lee Joon-chel has formed a good relationship with the galloper, he is likely to send her forward from a good draw to sit on pace. (9) TRI THUNDER was a last start winner in this grade and was not missed by the handicapper, penalizing him 4.5kg for the win. Keep him safe.
|Selections||(8) Choegang Team (7) Nimui Hyanggi (5) Yeonhui Ilchul (9) Tri Thunder|
|Next Best||4, 3|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 7, 8|
Busan Race 4: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Some very handy three-year-olds line up in the fourth in a Class Three event over the six furlongs. Promising type (8) DOCTOR CARSON looks one of the main chances after going down a nose to I’m Your Fashion last start. The Hansen three-year-old lined up in the Korean Derby but struggled over the two turns. He performed well last start and with a slightly better draw he looks a good chance to turn the tables today. Last start winner and promising type (10) I’M YOUR FASHION is obviously a winning chance based on the last victory, where no penalty for the win was received. He will lead the field into the turn but the question is how much petrol will he burn getting to the front, with some early speed drawn inside of the three-year-old. (11) B.K. VICTOR has his first run since July where he finished second behind Top Day, clocking a time that would see him win an event similar to this assignment. He is consistently around the money and cannot be discounted as a winning chance. (4) OCEAN PHOENIX is the best drawn of the preferred runners engaged. Djordje Perovic will most likely find the fence first of the likely pacemakers. She comes off a second last start behind Star Oreum. Based on previous performances she looks an each-way chance in the race.
|Selections||(8) Doctor Carson (10) I’m Your Fashion (11) B.K. Victor (4) Ocean Phoenix|
|Next Best||1, 5|
|Fast Start||4, 7, 10, 11|
Seoul Race 8: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(5) GABO PULL QUEEN has taken to racing around two turns extremely well with a 2nd and a 4th in two tries at this distance leaving a number of her rivals here back down the track in the process on both occasions. She’ll settle in mid position here and should prove too strong in the closing stages. (2) MUSSANG HWANGHU looks to be on the way up. She made her breakthrough at the third time of asking with an all the way performance over 1400M in August and Luigi Riccardi’s filly can be a challenger here on her first try around two turns. (9) DANGDAE ROYAL and (8) NINE EYE were both below par when they raced one another over 1400M a month ago but both are better than that and can be considered for places in a race such as this.
|Selections||(5) Gabo Pull Queen (2) Mussang Hwanghu (9) Dangdae Royal (8) Nine Eye|
|Next Best||3, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 9|
Busan Race 5: Class 4 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(1) MISS FACT has proven somewhat adept at avoiding the winner’s circle and even more so at disappointing punters with quinella tickets. She’s won twice and has never finished 2nd but has six 3rd place finishes to her name. Nevertheless, many signs point to her winning this. She has the fastest time for the distance, and has shown consistently good form around two turns. She’s nicely drawn and has a competitive weight and has been competing in company stiffer than this. If she does disappoint again then (8) YEOWANGUI MISO could take advantage. An also-ran in the Oaks in August, she then won over a mile before beating several of these on her way to 3rd place over 1400M in October. Nicely weighted and with a top jockey aboard, she should go well here. So too should (9) HWARANGUICHAMPION has also beaten a number of these in the recent past. He comes in having run a strong 2nd over 1200M at the end of last month but has performed well over this distance as well and has strong claims. (2) MR. VALOR and (6) HAPPY GATE the best of the rest.
|Selections||(1) Miss Fact (9) Hwaranguichampion (8) Yeowangui Miso (2) Mr. Valor|
|Next Best||6, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 6|
Seoul Race 9: Class 2 (1800M) Allowance / KRW 90 Million
The ninth has a field of ten to line up over the two turns at Class Two level. (5) PLATINUM EURO looks hard to beat based on what the Eurosilver gelding has done to date. He comes off a last start win in August over this distance when leading throughout. With limited speed engaged, Moon Se-young should be able to lead and dictate the speed of the race. It has been a long time between drinks for (1) CHOINMA but he can never be discounted in a race such as this. The Lee Gwan-ho trained galloper should get the run of the race from an inside draw. He comes off a midfield performance back in August behind Wonderful Evil in a restricted class feature. (10) TOP BRAIN is another who has handed in some good performances in this grade. He is a versatile type who has previously performed well from both on-speed and towards the tail. He will most likely settle rearwards with the wide draw. (7) GEUMA WHOLESOME takes a step to the next level as the Gemologist gelding lines up for his first start in Class Two company. He looks best suited on a place line in your selections.
|Selections||(5) Platinum Euro (1) Choinma (10) Top Brain (7) Geuma Wholesome|
|Next Best||6, 4|
|Fast Start||4, 5|
Busan Race 6: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
There’s plenty of class engaged in the sixth where a field of twelve will face the starter. The progressive (4) THUNDER FLY looks hard to beat after an impressive win last time out over this distance. The Thunder Moccasin gelding flooded home in October to win in good style. He has accumulated seven wins from nineteen starts and is capable of adding another to his tally today. (5) HAPPY FEVER is another promising type who has won three from ten and placed on five occasions. The three-year-old carries a favourable 54kg and will have the in-form Choi Si-dae who keeps booting winner after winner home. (10) ADELE STAR should not be forgotten when assessing your selections. The gelding has reached his mark in this grade bit is capable of filling a place. He was disappointing last start but his second two starts back behind Rapido Man reads extremely well for this assignment. (12) WONDERFUL LION has done little wrong in her fifteen start career. She finished third behind Thunder Fly last time out and with some improvement can figure once again. The draw seems to be the concern as she normally appreciated being close to the speed.
|Selections||(4) Thunder Fly (5) Happy Fever (10) Adele Star (12) Wonderful Lion|
|Next Best||7, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 5, 12|
Seoul Race 10: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Very tricky race here. We’ll go with (6) NEW MOON WARRIOR, who has never finished worse than 2nd in five career starts, to continue with his positive start. He was a strong 2nd at this trip last time and is likely to be ridden prominently from the start by Moon Se Young. (9) SARAMIRANEUNBYEOL could turn out to be the primary danger. He won back to back races during the summer season and before running 4th on his first try at this class a month ago. He has the fastest time of any of these at the distance and should go well. (1) GREEN DARC mixes his form but comes in off a smart 2nd place at class and distance last time and should be a factor. (4) CLEAN UP HAPPY and (7) LADY KELLY are others in the hunt.
|Selections||(6) New Moon Warrior (9) Saramiraneunbyeol (4) Clean Up Happy (7) Lady Kelly|
|Next Best||1, 12|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 11: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
Some handy horse flesh will be on display in the eleventh where some topline sprinters line up over the 1400m. (8) MORFHIS looks the one to beat based on his performances this year. He took out the SBS Sports Cup in July before finishing a game third behind East Jet in the Chairman’s Cup. He has to carry the 58kg but he has done that time and time before. The 1400m is his ideal distance and no other horse will be hitting the line as strong as him. (5) MUNHAK TIGER is a winner of five races from fourteen starts. The four-year-old has won his past three starts including a Class 1 last time out when defeating Clean Up Secret. He drops in weight with handicap conditions and with the 51kg he has to be a big chance. (11) SKY BAY is a multiple Class One winner and is another that gets in well at the weight scale. The mare finished midfield last start in the Ttukseom earlier this year, behind boom filly Dia Road. She hasn’t carried this featherweight in quite some time. (4) CHEONGSU YEOGEOL comes out of the Ttukseom as well where she finished fourth. She has been aimed at the fillies and mares features in previous runs, but she looks capable of finishing in the minor money.
|Selections||(8) Morfhis (5) Munhak Tiger (11) Sky Bay (4) Cheongsu Yeogeol|
|Next Best||12, 1|
|Fast Start||5, 11|