There are 10 races at Seoul on Saturday from 10:45 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 4 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
A rare valuable race for imported juveniles (or 3yo if from the southern hemisphere) with seven of the twelve going around for the very first time. We’ll begin with the experienced ones, however, and (6) MOONHAK EKATI is a possible favourite. He missed the break by a couple of lengths on debut on June 1st but overcame that to run on well for 3rd place. If he begins better this time, he has a real chance. (5) KINGS STEP was similarly slow away on his debut last month. He too rallied for 6th over 1200M and can improve here. Of the first time starters, (3) BRIGADIER GENERAL looks the pick. He ran a sold 2nd in a decent trial and looks set to go well first up, likely from the early speed. (1) KENTUCKY MANGCHI and (9) MOONHAK SERVE are others who hinted at ability in their respective heats.
|Selections||(6) Moonhak Ekati (3) Brigadier General (5) Kings Step (1) Kentucky Mangchi|
|Next Best||9, 11|
|Fast Start||3, 8, 10, 12|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Three-year-old maidens here. Strong favourite is likely to be (8) CUPID YEOWANG, who has been inconsistent across five starts so far but has proven her ability and comes in having run 3rd last time out. A similar run today should be too good for this limited opposition. (3) SEOUL MAGIC looks like he’s starting to figure things out with some creditable showings in his latest couple of outings and he looks the main danger. He’ll join the favourite on the early speed, as will (2) PENUMBRA, who made progress on her second start last month and can continue to develop here. (1) ANY FORCE ONE and (11) SOLGAEBARAM look best of the rest.
|Selections||(8) Cupid Yeowang (3) Seoul Magic (2) Penumbra (11) Solgaebaram|
|Next Best||1, 5, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 5, 8|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(3) JAENEUNG CHUNGMAN hasn’t exactly uprooted any trees in three starts to date but what she has done is performed solidly in better company than this and she won’t need to improve by very much in order to win. (2) MEISEI DREAM ran 4th in a slow race on debut over 1200M and has the potential for improvement while (5) DAEGUN OK goes at a distance further than the minimum for the first time after a more promising 4th place last start. (1) USEUNG MACHA and (6) BLUE MEGA ELLA are both expected to get to the front early and if they do so, they could have a part to play at the business end of the race.
|Selections||(3) Jaeneung Chungman (2) Meisei Dream (5) Daegun Ok (1) Useung Macha|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 6|
Race 4: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Trainer Jeon Seung-Gyu has seen six of his last eight runners win and the other two finish 2nd. (1) YEONGGWANGUI BEAT has a 3rd and a 2nd from two starts so far and while he was beaten ten-lengths by a good winner on his latest, he could maintain his trainer’s excellent form here. He’ll be on pace early alongside the other big chance (7) KING OF RULES. He’s been knocking at the door in his latest two and looks set to make the break through sooner rather than later. Last start, King Of Rules was 3rd over this distance, a couple of lengths ahead of 4th placed (10) DAEGUN POWER. The latter was racing for just the 2nd time and looked a little green still. He can make progress here. (2) PARK BLADE steps up in trip following two promising runs over 1000M and can be considered while (6) CITY SONGAM is another promising type who could sneak into some money.
|Selections||(1) Yeonggwangui Beat (7) King Of Rules (2) Park Blade (10) Daegun Power|
|Next Best||6, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 7, 10|
Race 5: Class 5 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(5) JEMA TEUKGEUP found herself out of her depth when sent down to Busan for the Korean Oaks last month. Back at Seoul today, back in trip and back in much more amenable company, things should be different. Last time she ran at this distance, she made all to win by four-lengths and she may take some beating today. (1) HWARYONG is up in class after a decent win at this distance on just his second start in May. Manners are a bit of an issue for this one but he has ability. (4) FIRE and (2) WINNER CROWN came home 3rd and 6th when they raced each other over 1200M four weeks ago and both can be dangerous here. (11) GEUM STAR was a winner on debut back in February and while a touch disappointing when favourite last time, can be given another chance today to overturn (6) JEOKTO BIMA, who beat her that day.
|Selections||(5) Jema Teukgeup (1) Hwaryong (4) Fire (11) Geum Star|
|Next Best||2, 3|
|Fast Start||2, 5, 9, 11|
Race 6: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
A wide open race but we’ll go with (2) HANYANG NURI to continue trainer Jeon Seung-Gyu’s run of excellent form. He ran 3rd at this distance last start and while he was well beaten by a very good winner, he can prevail here. (8) WONDERFUL MARIA ran a very close 3rd on her first try at this class last start, leading until close to the end, ultimately going down by less than half a length. She’ll be on pace again and will be a danger again. (11) WHITE VELVET similarly ran creditably on her first time at this level and comes in off an eight-week layoff with placing claims here. (1) IL MARE is up in class after a somewhat surprising win last time out and should be competitive. (6) HANSEN BAROWS has plenty of experience at this level and coms in with recent form reading well.
|Selections||(2) Hanyang Nuri (8) Wonderful Maria (1) Il Mare (11) White Velvet|
|Next Best||6, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 6, 8|
Race 7: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(5) URI did nothing on debut over 1300M in April but won his second start when put up to this distance in May. It’s a similar race today and only carries a little bit more weight and looks nicely in to repeat. (3) HAPPY MAUNTAIN has run well for 3rd and 2nd in his latest two, both at class and distance, and should be in the frame for at least a place again while (6) KAILASH DANCER beat a couple of these on his way 3rd on May 19th. He’s top weight but that’s because he’s top weighted and he can go well again. (4) EMORY SOCKS was two lengths behind Kailash Dancer in 4th that day. She gets weight relief both from the filly allowance and an apprentice jockey and that puts her squarely in the frame once more. (2) ABBEY VOCALS was much improved when tried at this trip last start and is also nicely weighted.
|Selections||(5) Uri (4) Emory Socks (6) Kailash Dancer (2) Abbey Vocals|
|Next Best||3, 10|
|Fast Start||1, 6|
Race 8: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(8) SUN OF THUNDER had a poor day at the office when sent off as favourite at class and distance on May 4th, ending up in 5th place (the race was won by Uri, who ran in race 7). The margins weren’t huge though and he should have come on for the experience so he’s given another chance on top here. (2) DUSON WANGJA was a 25/1 winner at class and distance last start, leading all the way and benefitting from the blinkers. He’s well drawn to get forward again and will warrant more respect this time. (5) YOUNG STORM and (9) JANGSAN FLY are both up in class after last start wins. The former’s was at this distance and both look set to be competitive at this level. (4) NANGMAN STAR can have a line drawn through his latest effort and looks best of the rest.
|Selections||(8) Sun Of Thunder (9) Jangsan Fly (2) Duson Wangja (5) Young Storm|
|Next Best||4, 10|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 8, 9|
Race 9: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(7) LUXURY HAPPY returns to action for the first time since March 23rd, when she beat three of these on her way to a very good win at class and distance. She’d been going consistently well prior to that too and while she has missed a bit of work, she can go well first-up here. If race sharpness is an issue, then (2) GRAY SOCKS looks the one to take advantage. He was 2nd in that March race and landed another runner-up finish on his latest outing in May. He’ll sit behind the early speed and can finish well. (6) BACK TO BACK is up in class today and looks very nicely in under a light weight. (3) ACE SOLONGO and (8) MONEY DAERYUK, the latter coming in off three consecutive 2nd place finishes, are others to take note of.
|Selections||(2) Gray Socks (7) Luxury Happy (6) Back To Back (8) Money Daeryuk|
|Next Best||3, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 9, 10|
Race 10: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
Great class 2 sprint to finish with and a suitably big field to contest it. (1) SPRING BACK’s class should win out. He’s run into good ones in his latest two but is in more amenable company today and from gate 1 should cruise up the inside to the lead. (5) YAHO SMART CAT has won his latest two in solid fashion and while today’s test is undoubtedly harder, he beat plenty of these last time out and can do so again. (3) GIO STAR ran a solid 2nd in a similar race to this four weeks ago and another place finish should be a minimum requirement here while it’s a similar story with (9) JANGSAN WILD. The wild card is (14) JJANG KONG, who races at this distance for the first time. He’s drawn wide but has ability and if he can find a position, could go well.
|Selections||(1) Spring Back (3) Gio Star (5) Yaho Smart Cat (14) Jjang Kong|
|Next Best||9, 6, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 8, 9|