Friday racing at Busan sees 9 races from 11:30 to 18:00 on what is the final Friday before we shift to evening racing from next weekend for July and August. Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(3) JOYFUL MEMORY races for the first time since coming back lame when favourite over a mile in January. She’d shown ability over eight starts prior to that and trialled up very nicely earlier this month. She drops back to the minimum distance today and can make a winning return. (5) KING’S POWER was an improved 2nd last time on June 1st, continuing the progress he’s been making across five outings to date and he can get close again. (6) BREAKING NEWS got a warning for hanging outwards in his latest effort and with better manners can improve here. (8) DARK TEMPLAR steps back in trip after two encouraging runs at further and he should be a factor too. There are four first time starters and among them (2) RENAISSANCE MAN is likely to attract most attention.
|Selections||(3) Joyful Memory (8) Dark Templar (5) King’s Power (6) Breaking News|
|Next Best||2, 4|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 7, 9|
Race 2: Class 6 (1200M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(3) MONEY BLACK HOLE isn’t the most optimistic name an owner can select for a horse, but the colt ran well when sent up to a mile for just his second start in May. He finished 2nd that day having been prominent throughout. He’s back down in trip today and should be on pace again. (7) SEONGSAN SIMON was encouraging in 4th on debut on April 20th, coming from well back in the closing stages over 1000M. He had to be scratched with a lame left foreleg from a planned reappearance at the end of May but is fit again now and may appreciate the extra furlong today. (1) HARVEST GOLD demonstrated some improvement on his second start in March. He hasn’t raced since and has moved to a brand-new trainer, but he trialled well earlier this month and can be a contender on the early speed. (11) KEEP GOING was awkwardly away on debut five weeks ago but ran on nicely and can go better today while (8) BLACK SHIELD is another who should be in the hunt.
|Selections||(3) Money Black Hole (7) Seongsan Simon (11) Keep Going (1) Harvest Gold|
|Next Best||8, 5|
|Fast Start||1, 3, 8, 10|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Tight race this with the nod going to (10) MACH MAJESTIC on the strength of her runner-up finish at this distance on June 8th. She’s been inconsistent across five starts so far but with next to no early speed in this race, is expected to get to the front possibly uncontested and can go all the way. (9) GANGHAN JILJU actually beat Mach Majestic as the pair raced 2nd and 3rd over a mile back in April. He’s been solid if unspectacular in two efforts since and can be a threat here. (2) TRIPLE BOSS improved on his second start last and looks to have more development in him. (6) KWAEHAN DREAM did nothing wrong on debut and should have come on for it. (3) HUIMANGUI NORAE races for the 28th time and he last few efforts have been creditable She’ll beat a few of these.
|Selections||(10) Mach Majestic (9) Ganghan Jilju (2) Triple Boss (3) Huimangui Norae|
|Next Best||6, 4|
Race 4: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(4) IHYEN is up in class following a four-length win at the distance on June 1st and she has every chance of making it two in a row. She’s well drawn to get to the front straight from the gate and can make all once more. (7) RANKING TOP and (6) PYEONGCHNG HORANGI came home 3rd and 5th when they raced each other over 1200M on May 25th. Pyeongchng Horangi was favourite that day and led for much of the race before weakening in the closing stages. Back at 1000M, he can overturn the form today. (1) POWER BOW can be forgiven his latest start when he was slow to begin and scarcely improved while (2) REALLY ONE has plenty of experience and in this kind of company can challenge for the places.
|Selections||(4) Ihyen (6) Pyeongchng Horangi (2) Really One (7) Ranking Top|
|Next Best||1, 8|
Race 5: Class 5 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
No fewer than four of the nine come in having won their respective latest starts with three of them up in class here. We’ll begin though with the one whose victory came at this level. That’s (7) BAENGNYEON DAERO, who was promoted to this class while still a maiden by virtue of two runner-up finishes but he strode on to a half-length victory at class and distance on May 25th. He’ll try similar tactics today in settling behind the early speed and looking to finish strongly. It won’t be easy. (5) HANGIL beat Baengnyeon Daero when landing his maiden back at the end of March. Scratched from a scheduled run in May, he finally returns here and could win again. (8) FLASHY MISS returned from six months off to run out an all the way winner on June 1st and she has every chance of a repeat. (6) BEOLMA HAMSEONG similarly returned from some months out the same day and despite losing ground at the start ran out a narrow winner and should be in the frame. (3) EX KELLY perhaps has a bit more to find following her first win over 1000M a month ago but can’t be completely ruled out.
|Selections||(8) Flashy Miss (7) Baengnyeon Daero (6) Beolma Hamseong (5) Hangil|
|Next Best||3, 4|
|Fast Start||4, 8|
Race 6: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
After snaffling his maiden win in March, (9) JOEUN HAE has developed a case of “second-it is”, finishing runner-up in all four of his subsequent starts and being promoted in class once more in the process. He was favourite on only one of those occasions and last start just got edged out by a nose. He is the pick to get it right today. Five of these raced each other at class and distance on June 3rd and finished 2nd to 5th with just a length and a half between them. (8) KWAESOK BOLT finished the best of them with (5) BANJIUI JANGMI, (6) CHOEGANG OFFICER and (7) NIGHT FURY close behind. All have claims to get close once more today with Banjiui Jangmi favoured to improve most. (2) RISING AGAIN is up in class having finally made the breakthrough at the twelfth time of asking on May 25th. It had been coming though and he can acquit himself well today.
|Selections||(9) Joeun Hae (5) Banjiui Jangmi (8) Kwaesok Bolt (6) Choegang Officer|
|Next Best||2, 7, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 9|
Race 7: Class 4 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
After finishing 7th on debut last summer, (1) CHOEGANG BULLET hasn’t been worse than 3rd from seven subsequent outings. True, he has been the beaten favourite in each of his last three but we’re going to maintain faith with him to make it fourth time lucky here. From the inside gate he can tuck in behind the early leaders and finish strongly. (2) CHEONHA GAMDONG is a winner of two from five so far and while he didn’t find things easy on his first try at this level over a mile last month, he can be given another chance here. Union Rags colt (12) CHROME MAGIC steps up in trip for the first time today and having beaten a few of these already, can beat a few more today. (5) JET DIA is one of those that Gold Magic has beaten (twice) but he too can be in the hunt for places and can (9) SEOGANGDAERO, who led for much of his latest start only to finish 2nd and will be on the early speed here too.
|Selections||(1) Choegang Bullet (12) Chrome Magic (2) Cheonha Gamdong (9) Seogangdaero|
|Next Best||5, 3|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 9, 11|
Race 8: Class 3 (1600M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
(9) RED YOUNG MYEONGUN ran a creditable 3rd place behind Yeongcheon Derby and Fivefold on what was his first try at this class over 1400M five weeks ago and he’s one of a number of contenders in this competitive handicap. (4) ROYAL HEART was further back that day but should be better up at a mile today and can get close. (2) DANGCHAN JILJU enters after a solid class and distance 2nd place on June 1st and will be a threat from the front while (5) V MAN ran on strongly for 3rd in what was arguably a slightly stiffer contest than today’s back at the end of April. He’s had nine weeks off since and can be involved. (3) KING SIMON also returns from time off and steps up in trip to a mile for the first time. He was last seen coming home 4th at this class over 1400M in March and can be considered
|Selections||(9) Red Young Myeongun (2) Dangchan Jilju (5) V Man (4) Royal Heart|
|Next Best||3, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 7|
Race 9: Class 2 (1800M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(1) SILLAUI JEONSEOL has won his latest two, both at this distance and last time at this class on June 1st, beating three of these in the process. He is carrying an additional 4.5kg today but that doesn’t stop him from being the top pick to win again. (10) SAMJEONG AGAIN was beaten a neck by Sillaui Jeonseol in that race, having led close to home. He’s up in the weights too but the Awesome Again gelding will be a big threat once more. (2) JUNGANG DAEHAE was a further six-lengths behind in 3rd place that day but should have enough about him to beat plenty of these. (8) BAY KINGS, who lost a shoe in a disappointing showing last time out, can get another chance here while (11) JEONGSANG KOREA is another who can get close.
|Selections||(1) Sillaui Jeonseol (10) Samjeong Again (11) Jeongsang Korea (2) Jungang Daehae|
|Next Best||8, 9, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 6|