We’re just a day away from the Minister’s Cup, the final leg of the 2018 Korean Triple Crown, but before that there is Saturday racing in Seoul which sees 10 races from 10:45 to 18:00:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
(6) DAECHEON HERO comes in off 2nd and 3rd place finishes from his latest two and only needs to finish in the top three here to get bumped up in class. He’s led in both those only to be caught late on and he can bow out of the bottom level of racing an all the way winner here. (1) MISS MOUNTAIN debuted with a 2nd place all the way back in March of 2017 but didn’t race again for slightly more than a year. On her return she led before weakening and has had a further thirteen weeks off since. Top jockey on and likely to get on pace again, she’s a chance. (2) JILPUNG GANGJA also returns thirteen weeks on from his last start. That was a disaster and he was forced to requalify after it. He’s looked good in two subsequent trials and we may see better from him today. (7) WAIT AND SEE has been a slightly one-paced 4th in both attempts so far but can at least match it today. (8) GRAND DOLPUNG has hinted at some ability and could challenge for the places.
|Selections||(6) Daecheon Hero (1) Miss Mountain (7) Wait And See (2) Jilpung Gangja|
|Next Best||8, 9|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 6, 7|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 75 Million
The first juvenile race of the season is upon us and we’ve got nine babies to get stuck into here with lots of them having impressed in trials and hence getting such an early start. Three of them won their trials and we’ll start with those. (7) HANEULEUL DALRIDA was the most eye-catching, making all in his heat and he’ll be expected to go to the lead under Johan Victoire. As will (3) SHANGHAI JORDAN, who had to work harder when coming out on top in his trial two weeks ago but may well have benefitted from it. Both are from strong stables, as is (6) BI PYEONG, who was also a good “winner” of a trial on June 1st. None of the three recorded the fastest time in qualifying though. That distinction belongs to (4) GYEONGGUKJIMA, albeit on a very wet track, and she should be challenging for the early lead too. Those four will be the favourites but (8) HEUNG OREUM, (9) PARRHESIA and, to a slightly lesser extent (5) CHANGPA also looked competent enough leaving only two to be considered true longshots.
|Selections||(3) Shanghai Jordan (7) Haneuleul Dalrida (4) Gyeonggukjima (6) Bi Pyeong|
|Next Best||8, 9, 5|
|Fast Start||3, 4, 7|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
With a 3rd and a 2nd from two starts to date, (6) CHOIN DAEBO is favoured to get it right at the third attempt today with Moon Se Young aboard for the first time. He’s up slightly in trip and could well get an unchallenged lead. (4) CUPID GANGJA is just one placing away from being promoted out of this level and he hasn’t been far away in his latest three outings. He ran well at this trip last time and can do so again. (3) EVERYTHING WIN showed signs of figuring things out last start and surely benefits from Manoel Nunes riding today. (10) SPEED HWANGNYONG has shown some ability across his four outings to date and can improve here while (9) FIORE too is not without some hope of improvement.
|Selections||(6) Choin Daebo (4) Cupid Gangja (3) Everything Win (10) Speed Hwangnyong|
|Next Best||9, 7|
Race 4: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(8) MONEY CAMP was beaten out of sight over 1300M in early March to the extent that she was banned for two months and sent back to trial. She waltzed through that trial in the kind of time that can win an actual race at this level and back at 1000M today should be a very different prospect. She’ll be joined on pace by (7) CHEONJI BOBAE, who remains winless after seven attempts but has four runner-up finishes and every chance of adding to that tally. (6) BEST VICTORY came home in 2nd place in what was his first try at this level on May 19th and can be a danger. He’s not a fast starter but finishes strongly. (2) ARGO GALLOPER and (4) POWER KOREA both drop back in trip today and both can benefit.
|Selections||(8) Money Camp (6) Best Victory (7) Cheonji Bobae (4) Power Korea|
|Next Best||2, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 7, 8|
Race 5: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Half the field are first-time starters and half have run before. It’s not a strong race so we’ll give a chance to a newcomer and that’s Australian import (3) BLUE SPIDER. The three-year-old Duporth gelding was an A$50,000 purchase and looked useful when 3rd in a May trial. 2-year-old Mission Impazible colt (6) NAUI BICHIYEO also looked competent when trialling and may also be considered first-up. Among those with experience, (1) BOBBYS SOUND drops back in trip and may improve while (4) BOMBI’S KING races for the first time since January and performed adequately when trialling three weeks ago.
|Selections||(3) Blue Spider (1) Bobbys Sound (4) Bombi’s King (6) Naui Bichiyeo|
|Next Best||2, 7|
|Fast Start||1, 4|
Race 6: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(1) GANGCHONUI BYEOL won her first two to rise rapidly in class and was 2nd on her first try at this level in April. She then came up again Leonning Strom five weeks ago over 1200M, missed the kick and then struggled to get to the lead, ultimately hanging inwards in the home straight and ending up well beaten. She drops back to the minimum distance today and so long as she gets away cleanly should lead and have every chance. (2) HAEKHANGGONGMOHAM was a class and distance winner on May 20th and must be taken very seriously. He doesn’t need to lead early and will finish strongly. (3) FINE CHAMP drops back in trip for the first time in a long time and while a touch inconsistent, could be a danger. (8) MALLIJIMA did nothing on debut back in March but returns after fourteen weeks for a fresh start and Moon Se Young’s presence ensures plenty will give him another chance. (4) HALO BIRD the best of the rest.
|Selections||(1) Gangchonui Byeol (2) Haekhanggongmoham (3) Fine Champ (8) Mallijima|
|Fast Start||1, 4, 7|
Race 7: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(7) DORAON ACHIM HAE came up short in 2nd place when favourite on his first try at this level over the distance on May 5th. He’s well worth another chance today though with his stable in good form at the moment. He’ll settle alongside (8) VICTORY STAR, who also was a touch disappointing when favourite over 1400M last start. She had a warning placed against her for her racing manners for hanging outwards around the turn but is another who can go better today. (1) BAEKDUUI JEONGSANG is up in class today following his maiden win last time at this distance. He pretty much made all that day and will look to lead again here. So will (2) MALAKAS, who enters on a run of three consecutive 4th place finishes and should be aiming to slightly better that today. (4) ROYAL BOKSUNI has perhaps found her level but isn’t usually too far away and can have hopes of finding some minor money.
|Selections||(7) Doraon Achim Hae (2) Malakas (8) Victory Star (1) Baekduui Jeongsang|
|Next Best||4, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4|
Race 8: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
(8) YAHO AURORA, whose only win came at this distance in March, ran a good 3rd place at 1300M two weeks ago and while he’s by no means a strong favourite here, has as much chance as any of prevailing in this very competitive contest. (9) SOCCER GLORY also had her solitary victory at this trip and she steps back up to it today following a decent showing at 1300M last month and may be coming back into some form. (1) ORANGE SOCKS, a stablemate of Yaho Aurora, and (3) HWANGGEUM JUMEONI are both up in class and in distance today but neither should be outclassed. (4) STRONG CAPTAIN and (10) SUN PLAZA both come in off poor showings last time out but can be given another chance here.
|Selections||(8) Yaho Aurora (9) Soccer Glory (3) Hwanggeum Jumeoni (4) Strong Captain|
|Next Best||1, 10, 2|
|Fast Start||2, 10|
Race 9: Class 2 (1900M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(7) BEONGAE FIGHTER ran 5th of 14 in the very competitive TJK Trophy race at 1800M two weeks ago. He came from well off the pace and was improving all the time in the closing stages and Luigi Riccardi’s gelding has every chance of coming out on top today. Birdstone colt (4) PENACOVA is back up in trip after a couple of reasonable efforts at sprint distances. This is his first time at 1900M but he has won at 1700M and hit the board at 1800M and he should be a contender here. (5) TAEYANGUI HUYE too is back up in trip today and should be all the better for it, especially under a very light weight. He’ll likely go forward early. (6) CHEONHABI and (9) JOEUN INYEON, the latter a winner at this class over 1800M on a wet track last month, are others to take into consideration.
|Selections||(7) Beongae Fighter (5) Taeyangui Huye (9) Joeun Inyeon (4) Penacova|
|Next Best||6, 1|
|Fast Start||5, 8, 9|
Race 10: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Could (7) TEUKBYEOL STAR finally make the breakthrough today? She’s raced twenty-two times so far and has finished between 2nd and 5th on no fewer than seventeen occasions, including 3rd place in last year’s Korean Oaks, but is yet to win. She looks to have a great chance here against horses she really should beat and it cold well finally be her day. Should she fall short again, (2) HAEGARAM is the one to take advantage. She enters after solid 4th place finishes in her most recent tow and should improve on those here. (3) SIMON MISSILE drops back in trip today and can benefit while so too does (5) CHOROK JILJU, another who can improve in recent form. (1) MENI TURBO, on the other hand, comes back up in trip and should be on pace early with the question being whether she can see out the last furlong.
|Selections||(7) Teukbyeol Star (2) Haegaram (5) Chorok Jilju (3) Simon Missile|
|Next Best||1, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 8|