Cup Mile Eve sees 11 races at Seoul from 10:45 to 18:00. And the start of the Seoul Racecourse Cherry Blossom Festival! Here are the previews:
Race 1: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
We’ll go with experience here and (4) BODEURAM has the most of it. A much-improved 2nd on what was her fourth start on March 10th was good enough to suggest that she has a win in her sooner or later and it could well come here. (8) CHILJONG CHILGEUM similarly improved last time, also coming home 2nd at this distance and he looks to be the main threat although (3) ROMAN BLADE can improve on a decent enough 6th on debut when she just weakened a little late on. (7) CHEONGDAM JEPAE has also shown glimpses of ability across two efforts so far while (5) ARGO ROCKET looks pick of the debut-makers.
|Selections||(4) Bodeuram (8) Chiljong Chilgeum (3) Roman Blade (5) Argo Rocket|
|Fast Start||3, 7|
Race 2: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Another set of three-year-old maidens although this is the weaker of the two divisions. (2) NAMYEOGUI HANEUL may only have finished 7th of 12 on debut a month ago but showed a decent turn of foot and can have come on for it. We’ll make her the marginal pick here. (7) ULTRA MISSILE showed improvement on his second start at the end of February and can continue to make progress today. Of the others who have race before, (1) GWACHEON HERO and (5) UDDUGI perhaps have the best chance of improving while among the two first-timers, (8) SOL PARANG is the pick.
|Selections||(2) Namyeogui Haneul (8) Sol Parang (7) Ultra Missile (1) Gwacheon Hero|
|Next Best||5, 3|
Race 3: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 24 Million
Another maiden but this time it’s age open. (9) BEST BULLET was a decent enough 3rd in a slightly stronger contest than this four weeks ago at the distance and is favoured to make the breakthrough here. He’ll be on the early speed along with (6) SEUNGNI PLUS, who hasn’t been too far away in his latest appearances and can be involved in the business end of the race. (3) BAEKDU POWER beat a couple of these home when finishing 2nd in an admittedly weak contest over 1700M last month and should beat plenty again. (8) HWANGGEUM JUMEONI and (10) SPECIAL WINNER are others who have shown some ability and can get close here.
|Selections||(9) Best Bullet (6) Seungni Plus (3) Baekdu Power (10) Special Winner|
|Next Best||8, 1|
|Fast Start||6, 9, 10|
Race 4: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(3) GOLDSTAR HILLS and (7) SEUNGJAUI MISO came home 3rd and 4th respectively when they raced each other in a very similar class and distance all-filly event on March 4th. Both should be on pace here and they could very well be battling it out for top honours this time. That was quite an uptick in form for Goldstar Hills whereas Seungjaui Miso has been the more consistent and the latter will be slightly favoured here. (4) CLAY WIND remains a maiden but finds herself up in class by virtue of a pair of 2nd place finishes in her latest two. She was a touch unlucky last time, just going down by a nose and has every chance of being competitive at this level. (9) JEJUI HEUKSEON and (10) RUBY BEOLKIN are others who remain maidens but have already proven they can find the money at this class and can go close again
|Selections||(7) Seungjaui Miso (3) Goldstar Hills (4) Clay Wind (10) Ruby Beolkin|
|Next Best||9, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 7, 9|
Race 5: Class 5 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
(4) MACHA BUCHA is the one who enters in the most convincing form and, dropping back to 1000M for the first time since last July and his second ever start, he can take advantage of a favourable draw to get on speed early and go all the way here. (6) SIMPLE RULES ran a solid 5th at the distance a month ago and should be the principle danger and will also be looking to be right on pace from the beginning. (7) ÉCLAIR BEAUTY’s solitary win to date was at 1700M and she comes in having struggled in the Sports Seoul Cup last month. She can start quickly though and may appreciate a chance at the minimum distance. (2) PYEONGCHON CROWN and (8) TITANIA others who should be in the hunt.
|Selections||(4) Macha Bucha (6) Simple Rules (7) Éclair Beauty (2) Pyeongchon Crown|
|Next Best||8, 1|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7, 8|
Race 6: Class 5 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Not a strong race but absolutely wide open with plenty coming in having finished 3rd or 4th in their latest start and with the potential to go a little better here. (6) GAECHEOKJA ran 3rd in a stronger race than this over 1200M four weeks ago. His last try at this distance didn’t go well but he could well be ready for another go here. (2) FIGHTER BONG is the only one of them never to have raced at this distance before. He comes in off a useful 4th at 1300M a month ago. (3) GONSEOL remains a maiden after thirty-four starts but recent form reads well, and he should be close again. (1) SAEROUNSIN also enters in good shape and his latest efforts have been at this distance. Those four are probably the top line of favourites but (7) ALBERTUS CROWN and (10) SEONGEUN BRACHA came home 4th and 5th at class and distance on March 3rd and could get close again. (8) BEAUTIFUL ASIA is still a maiden but her best finish was at this distance and one angle is that she could well get a soft early lead.
|Selections||(6) Gaecheokja (2) Fighter Bong (1) Saerounsin (3) Gonseol|
|Next Best||10, 8, 7|
Race 7: Class 4 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
Another competitive one. (8) NONGBON DAERO has won his latest three including last time at this level over 1300M. Today he tackles two-turns for the first time and while he will obviously need to find a little more, he has always run well through the line and has every chance of keeping his streak going. (6) YEOKDAE CHOESANG is proven at the distance and indeed last start, at the fifteenth time of asking, she finally made her breakthrough, scoring by four-lengths. The consequence of that is she is up in class today, but she should still be competitive under Johan Victoire. (2) BIG SKY and (10) EORIN WANGJA have both proven themselves at this class and distance. The latter actually beat Yeokdae Choesang when winning at class 6 in November last year and both can hunt for at least places today. (9) HAWK EYES enters having won at class and distance on March 4th. A repeat is not impossible though he will need to overcome an additional 5kg today.
|Selections||(8) Nongbon Daero (6) Yeokdae Choesang (9) Hawk Eyes (10) Eorin Wangja|
|Next Best||2, 4|
|Fast Start||6, 7, 10|
Race 8: Class 4 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 60 Million
(4) MORFHIS has been well-supported – if not always favourite – on all four of his starts so far and each time has come up short. He goes back up to 1200M today though and really has as good a chance as any of these of scoring. Victoire rides him for the first time and if he gets a good start, today could be his day. Morphis is an import so therefore began at this level whereas (8) CHAPEL ACE is locally bred and has won his way up from class 6. He was a smart winner over 1000M last time and should be a danger today. (2) BIG GARLAND and (3) BADA CHIEF both come in off promising latest runs and can build on them today while (10) MAKJIMA was a touch disappointing in strong company last time at 1300M but can go better today.
|Selections||(4) Morfhis (8) Chapel Ace (2) Big Garland (10) Makjima|
|Next Best||3, 11|
|Fast Start||4, 8, 9|
Race 9: Class 4 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(3) STAR CAT comes in having run up back to back wins at this distance, the latest in a similar all-filly event on March 11th. She’s pretty much made all in both those and there’s no reason why she can’t do the same today and complete a hat-trick of victories. (7) LOVE IT and (4) JALOUSIE came home 3rd and 5th respectively in that March 11th race and while they obviously have quite a bit to make up on Star Cat, they are among the major contenders to at least place. Stiffer competition may come from an up in class pair though. Both (6) MENI PARK and (10) MIRACLE HANSEN were good winners last time and shouldn’t have much to fear at this level. Miracle Hansen actually arrives undefeated having won both his starts to date in a facile manner and while today his competition is significantly stiffer, but he could well be equal to it.
|Selections||(3) Star Cat (10) Miracle Hansen (6) Meni Park (7) Love It|
|Next Best||4, 9|
|Fast Start||3, 9, 10|
Race 10: Class 3 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(4) MY VISION has won three of his last four including his latest in a fast race at class and distance on March 4th with two of these, (6) DEOKSAMHO and (5) GHOST TOWN, coming home 3rd and 4th a full four-lengths behind. He’s giving weight away to all his rivals here, but he should be able to overcome that, most likely leading from the gate. (1) YEONGGWANGUI SIGAN is up in class following a good win over 1000M a month ago. She’s won at this distance too in the past and can be a threat. (7) PRIMA QUEEN didn’t impress on her latest start at 1400M but can go better dropped back a furlong today. (2) MENI BADA was a little bit out of her depth in a Classic trial last month but she too should be more comfortable in this company.
|Selections||(4) My Vision (1) Yeonggwangui Sigan (7) Prima Queen (2) Meni Bada|
|Next Best||6, 8|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 4|
Race 11: Class 2 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
(5) OP SEVEN was 2nd in the Nonghyup Chairman’s Trophy last November – a top juvenile race – and returned to the winner’s circle with a battling half-length win over 1200M on March 3rd, beating three of these in the process. He’ll look to do the same here, coming from off the pace to win, on what is his first attempt at 1400M. (4) TIZ RUN was a winner at this distance at class 3 in January and scored a very creditable 3rd place on his first try at this level over 1800M five weeks ago and should be firmly in the frame here, while (3) KING’S WARRIOR was 5th behind OP Seven last time and could get closer today. (1) JEONGAN KINGDOM and (2) JEOLMYOHANSEONTAEK are others with potential to improve on recent starts.
|Selections||(5) OP Seven (4) Tiz Run (3) King’s Warrior (1) Jeongan Kingdom|
|Next Best||2, 6|
|Fast Start||1, 6, 7, 9|