Silver Wolf on Sunday gets the chance to make a clean sweep of the 2017 Queens’ Tour when she lines up at Busan Racecourse for the Gyeongnam Governor’s Cup. The Aussie-bred 5-year-old by Oratorio narrowly won the Ttukseom Cup at Seoul in June but then romped away with the KNN Cup over a mile month later. She returns to Busan as favourite but having to go 2000M in a race in which she was 8th last year.
The Cup is the highlight of a 6-race program at Busan from 12:40 to 17:05 while up at Seoul there are 11 races from 10:45 to 18:00. Here are the previews:
Seoul Race 1: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 40 Million
Small field of fillies to begin with and the champion jockey should get off to a winning start on (3) SAUVIGNON. She’s been getting closer over three starts to date and should have too much for these. (2) CUPID DOCTOR has also made a positive start to her career although Sauvignon’s experience over this distance is what gives her the edge. (4) RUBY BEOLKIN is two starts into a comeback following a layoff and was only narrowly beaten by Sauvignon last time so does have claims too but it’s slim pickings among the rest with possible (5) BABY STAR most likely to improve.
|Selections||(3) Sauvignon (2) Cupid Doctor (4) Ruby Beolkin (5) Baby Star|
|Next Best||1, 6|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4|
Seoul Race 2: Class 6 (1300M) Allowance / KRW 22 Million
Two standouts here who both look close to their maiden wins. (8) WONDERFUL CHAMPION was a close 3rd over 1200M last time out and comes in fresh following eight weeks off. He’s not a fast starter but should be able to sit handy from gate 8 and finish strongly. The other likely one is (5) GIDONG DAEJANG. Much improved on first try at this distance last time out, he narrowly missed out on 2nd place and should make the running here. (9) STORMY also showed improvement when finishing 4th last time out while (1) JEGUKUI HUYE and (11) NEULPUREUN CHEONHA are also capable of finding the money.
|Selections||(8) Wonderful Champion (5) Gidong Daejang (9) Stormy (1) Jegukui Huye|
|Next Best||11, 10|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 7, 12|
Seoul Race 3: Class 6 (1000M) Allowance / 60 Million
Three of these have raced before, five haven’t and of those with experience, both (2) CITY ANGEL and (3) HIGH BEAT ran 5th. Neither were particularly impressive although probably did enough to be reasonably well fancied here but we should give a chance to some of the debut-makers. (5) BACK TO BACK looks the pick of them following a swift showing in a trial at the end of October while both (1) ACE CANT and (4) HWANSANGUI BIT also showed they know what they are supposed to do and have every chance of going well first up.
|Selections||(5) Back To Back (2) City Angel (1) Ace Cant (3) High Beat|
|Next Best||4, 7|
|Fast Start||2, 4|
Seoul Race 4: Class 5 (1000M) Allowance / 40 Million
(7) LUCKY MISS was a three-length winner on debut over this distance on October 14th and while she steps up in class today, she is favourite to strike again. There will be plenty looking to get on the early speed and (1) REBECCA and (3) NAMWON QUEEN are contenders to do just that and stay on for the business part of the race. The latter was 5th behind (11) PARTY POWER last start but is better drawn to overturn that form today. (12) DREAM ROCKET was a solid 5th in a slightly tougher race than this at the end of September and can improve today.
|Selections||(7) Lucky Miss (12) Dream Rocket (3) Namwon Queen (11) Party Power|
|Next Best||1, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 3, 8, 9|
Seoul Race 5: Class 5 (1300M) Handicap / KRW 40 Million
He didn’t really take to 1700M last start but still ran a decent enough 5th and back at 1300M today, (2) JEULGEOUN HAMSEONG should have every chance of adding to her solitary win so far. She’ll be joined on the early pace by (3) DALDARI, who ran 2nd to (8) YEONGAM ARIRANG at class and distance in September. Just like Jeulgeoun Hamseong, the pair of them both stepped up to 1700M last time but with underwhelming results and both should be happier today. Sitting handy early should be (1) SHARK PARTY and (5) MALAKAS, neither of who have yet delivered at this level but still have potential.
|Selections||(2) Jeulgoeun Hamseong (1) Shark Party (5) Malakas (3) Daldari|
|Next Best||8, 4|
|Fast Start||2, 3, 4|
Busan Race 2: Class 4 (1000M) Handicap / KRW 55 Million
Small field here with four locally bred ones taking on four imports. As is usual with these type of races, the locally bred ones are proven winners already and (3) HANEULUI TTEUT is set to be a warm favourite. She secured back to back wins over the distance before running 4th in a stiffer test than this last time out. She’ll be close to the pace early and should win. Finishing 6th in that “stiffer test” was (4) SWICH, who was making his first start since May and should have come on for it. He’s still seeking his maiden win but came close a few times before his layoff and has a chance here. (2) BUGYEONG DOLPUNG’s latest two don’t inspire but she is better than that and can improve while (6) YEONGGWANGUI FORE returns from twenty weeks off and looked decent in a trial at the end of October.
|Selections||(3) Haneului Tteut (4) Swich (6) Yeonggwangui Fore (2) Bugyeong Dolpung|
|Next Best||8, 1|
|Fast Start||2, 3|
Seoul Race 6: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
(10) HIBIKI was a class and distance winner in August, beating (6) GWACHEON WONDER and while he could only manage 6th place when favourite on his return three weeks ago, he’s probably worth another chance here. A major danger is the up in class (5) DAEGUNHAM, a four-length winner over this distance at class 5 a month ago while both (3) KING PLUCKY and (9) ANYANG CHEETAH step up to this trip for the first time and could well take to it. Both enter in decent form and both should be on the early pace. (11) STRONG SHINE actually beat Hibiki last time and could go ok again under an apprentice jockey who takes some weight off.
|Selections||(10) Hibiki (5) Daegunham (9) Anyang Cheetah (11) Strong Shine|
|Next Best||3, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 6, 12|
Busan Race 3: Class 4 (1200M) andicap / KRW 55 Million
Another small field here and (7) MAKING SEUNGNI, with two wins and two 3rd place finishes from four outings to date looks to be the one to beat. She just lacked a bit of spark when favourite last time out but can put things right here. (4) COURAGIO was a narrowly beaten favourite last start as well and while it’s been over a year since he ran and won at this distance, he should get very close once more. (2) WOLHADOKJAK and likely early pace-setter (3) HAPPY LADY, the latter up in class following a good win over 1300M three weeks ago, are also in the hunt as is (8) OHO DAEJANGGUN, 4th behind Making Seungni a month ago.
|Selections||(7) Making Seungni (4) Couragio (3) Happy Lady (2) Wolhadokjak|
|Next Best||8, 6|
|Fast Start||3, 5, 8|
Seoul Race 7: Class 4 (1700M) Allowance / KRW 60 Million
A solid 4th over the distance in slightly tougher company than this and the champion jockey taking over in the saddle stands (8) RAON TROY in good stead to score here. True, that performance was a little unexpected, but he looks to have every chance today and will likely be on the speed early. (1) TAEYANGUI HUYE is still looking for the breakthrough but has been close a couple of times and looks ready to go back up in trip today. He should be at the front early too. (7) JWACHEONGNYONG enters off back to back 4th place finishes and can match today while (2) SUN POWER and (9) COPALERO are others who can improve on recent form.
|Selections||(8) Raon Troy (1) Tayangui Huye (9) Copalero (7) Jwacheongnyong|
|Next Best||2, 4|
|Fast Start||1, 3,4 ,8|
Busan Race 4: Class 4 (1600M) Handicap / KRW 55 Million
Another small field at Busan but it’s competitive enough with more than half having some semblance of claim. (4) WORLD KOREAN needs to get on the early speed. He wasn’t able to do that when dropped back to 1400M last time and ended up with sand in his face and finished well down the field. He can return to winning ways back at a mile today and back leading. Joining him up front is likely to be (1) DARMA, who had a similarly poor outing last time but can be given another chance while (5) KWAEDO SINHWA and (6) KING STORM are both previous winners at this distance and can be involved today.
|Selections||(4) World Korean (5) Kwaedo Sinhwa (1) Darma (6) King Storm|
|Next Best||8, 3|
|Fast Start||1, 4|
Seoul Race 8: Class 3 (1700M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(2) GHOST TOWN has won his latest two but while he can’t be ruled out, he’s up in class and distance and is likely to find both a challenge today. Having said that, it’s another one who is trying the distance for the first time that we’re putting on top in the shape of (3) SINGGEUREOUN GEOM. He was a strong 2nd in a good race over 1400M last time and looks the type to benefit from two turns. Back in July he beat (1) LEAD MONEY as the pair raced 1st and 2nd over 1300M and the latter finally joins him up at this level today following a pretty much all the way win over 1700M on October 15th. Lead Money looks nicely in here and could repeat. (5) GLOBAL DREAM and (7) YESANGBAEK SEUNG both enter in good form and can get close while 1300M track-record holder (11) GUTONGSA didn’t go well at this distance before but can’t be ruled out.
|Selections||(3) Singgeureoun Gom (1) Lead Money (5) Global Dream (11) Gutongsa|
|Next Best||7, 12, 2|
|Fast Start||1, 2, 5|
Busan Race 5: Class Open (2000M) The Gyeongnam Governor’s Cup (KOR G3) / Allowance / KRW 500 Million
- SANTA GLORIA – Well back in KNN Cup and last on latest effort. Much to find.
- MIGHTY GEM – Great run for 2nd here in KNN Cup. Can go close again.
- O.K. YEONDAB – 4th in KNN Cup. First time over the distance but has run well at 1800M before.
- HELLO VENUS – Big step up from what she’s used to and first try at the distance. Didn’t go well on sole attempt at 1800M. Top jockey booking. On pace early.
- PINK BLADE – Class 3 winner at 1800M but struggled on first try at class 2 a month ago. Improvement possible.
- BLACK SAPPHIRE – Distance will suit but Triple Nine’s sister has been found wanting a little in the best company. Could get close if she gets away well.
- BRIGHT STAR – 2nd in the Oaks though the final leg of the Triple Crown was too much too soon. Still only raced five times, she looks a talent. Big race jockey on board.
- SILVER WOLF – The standout of the year on the distaff side, the only doubt is the distance. She’s won at 1800M though so should get it – she was 8th in this race last year but is a sigificantly better horse now – and her class can see her through.
- QUEEN’S QUEEN – Well back in KNN Cup. Two 2nd places since then but in weaker company.
- THE QUEEN SILVER – Decent 5th in the KNN Cup but one start back at Seoul afterwards didn’t go well. Outsider.
- HOT COMMEND – Has come into the best form of her career lately with two victories in her latest two at a mile and 1800M. Long sot but not impossible.
- GOLD BLUE – One of few established class 1 campaigners here, she’s used to dealing with stiffer company than this and she could well go close.
Verdict: The final leg of the “Queens’ Tour” to decided champion filly & mare could well go the way of the previous two legs; the Ttukseom Cup and KNN Cup. (8) SILVER WOLF won both those and since then has found time to run 5th in the Korea Sprint and win the Munhwa Ilbo Cup. She’s the best of this lot but there is of course one issue; although she has won at distances up to 1800M, her specialty is sprints or miles and this is at 2000M. Her superiority should still win out but it does give some hope to the others. (12) GOLD BLUE ran 6th in a really good class 1 race at this distance three weeks ago and has a chance while (7) BRIGHT STAR, just beaten a head in the Korean Oaks, beat plenty of these at Seoul in the Jeju Governor’s Cup and has still only raced five times. (2) MIGHTY GEM was 2nd in the KNN Cup in July and can run well once more while (5) PINK BLADE and (6) BLACK SAPPHIRE both look to be in with a chance of at least the places.
|Selections||(8) Silver Wolf (12) Gold Blue (2) Mighty Gem (7) Bright Star|
|Next Best||5, 6|
|Fast Start||4, 6, 7, 9|
Seoul Race 9: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
Tricky one this although (7) OKAY GOOD managed to beat three of these on his way to 3rd place over 1200M on October 14th and therefore just about slips in at top pick. He was on speed early that day and is likely to be so again, probably joined by (5) LIGER SOCKS who also beat a couple of these on his latest and should be in the frame. (8) BROADWAY SIN beat Liger Socks in August but was then behind Okay Good last time out. He’s yet another front-runner and another who could go well here. (2) ARCH ARCH and (6) BEONGAE FIGHTER poised to take advantage if the leaders go too fast.
|Selections||(7) Okay Good (8) Broadway Sin (2) Arch Arch (5) Liger Socks|
|Next Best||6, 1|
|Fast Start||4, 5, 7, 8|
Busan Race 6: Class 3 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 75 Million
(7) HI SEXY just went down to an outsider when favourite over 1200M three weeks ago. Nevertheless, she beat her likely main rival here (11) PHILIP AND GIRAFFE, who came 3rd, and accordingly has every chance of returning to the winner’s circle today. (8) WHITE CASTLE is yet to win but now has four 2nd placed to his name and he can find the places once more while (9) GOLD LINE is two races into a comeback and has finished 6th in both. Both times, however, the company has been a fair bit stronger than it is today so he could well improve.
|Selections||(7) Hi Sexy (11) Philip And Giraffe (8) White Castle (9) Gold Line|
|Next Best||12, 2|
|Fast Start||5, 6, 10, 12|
Seoul Race 10: Class 2 (1200M) Handicap / KRW 90 Million
Banker favourite of the day here and that’s (5) JANGSAN CITY. He’s won two of his last three and beat (4) SNOW CHARISMA on his way to a very narrow defeat over this distance on October 14th. He won’t necessarily lead all the way but given a fair start, he should have too much. Snow Charisma is one of the ones who does have a chance of stopping him although (3) IGWANGSASEOK and (6) MENI MUSIC, 3rd and 4th when they raced each other at class 2 over this distance on September 24th perhaps look a bit more likely with (12) PRETTY BOY, a good winner at class 3 last time out, not completely out of it either.
|Selections||(5) Jangsan City (6) Meni Music (3) Igwangsaseok (12) Pretty Boy|
|Next Best||4, 8|
|Fast Start||2, 4, 6|
Seoul Race 11: Class 1 (1400M) Handicap / KRW 110 Million
Nice competitive handicap to conclude with and really, almost anything could win it. (12) GAEULI JEONSEOL saw his five-race winning streak come to an end over 1800M at the end of September. All of those wins came around two turns but dropped back to 1400M today, it’s not impossible that he could put in a good performance. He’s certainly one of the fancies as is (10) CUPID POWER, who comes in off two encouraging peformances in very similar races. (9) DIPLOMATIC MISSION was well back behind Cupid Power in the first of those but is a class and distance winner and can be respected, while (4) YAHO SKY CAT and (11) BIG MOUNTAIN, 5th and 6th at class and distance three weeks ago are also capable of finding the money. The wildcard is (8) WINNER RED. Setbacks meant he never quite lived up to his early promise but he won a trial in good order only last week and could be interesting.
|Selections||(12) Gaeuli Jeonseol (9) Diplomatic Mission (10) Cupid Power (8) Winner Red|
|Next Best||4, 11|
|Fast Start||1, 5, 9, 11|